New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2019-10-25 14:15:58

Grim77b

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Mars Terraforming

Now I not college matreial so Im putting out my Questions .Im a Firm beliver of K.I.S.S. ( keep it simple , keep it stupid )My first question is why couldnt the colonies use small cayons to build in and simple supply a transparent roof like made of local sourced sand or glass and terrace like the incas for food and oxygen production? As to oxygen grow what plant Produces the most oxygen plus grow bamboo 1000 and one uses as we have been using it or centurys. As to heating couldnt someone figure a way to use solar hot water run under the floor for warmth?
I do know the surface is cold but theres got to be away to heat it.
               Just a few thoughts kinda curiuos as to any responces  thank you

#27 2019-10-25 14:40:55

louis

No reason they couldn't do that! On this site I am a major proponent of that solution.

There are some plants that actually release heat at night - "thermogenic plants". It might be useful to plant plenty of those.

It would help to have reflectors on the surface direct light on to the transparent roof.  That would help with heating but heating might requre some help from surface PV arrays. Your idea of using heated water to keep the canyons or gorges (as I prefer to call them) warm at night is a good one. Ways might be found to make use of waste heat from industrial processes. An aerogel layer to the transparent roof will help. I think a pool of water at the bottom of the gorge would help - it could be in a figure 8 configuration with a deeper pool underneath a shallow pool, being insulated by rock. The pool could be lined with a heat reflective material.

Grim77b wrote:

Now I not college matreial so Im putting out my Questions .Im a Firm beliver of K.I.S.S. ( keep it simple , keep it stupid )My first question is why couldnt the colonies use small cayons to build in and simple supply a transparent roof like made of local sourced sand or glass and terrace like the incas for food and oxygen production? As to oxygen grow what plant Produces the most oxygen plus grow bamboo 1000 and one uses as we have been using it or centurys. As to heating couldnt someone figure a way to use solar hot water run under the floor for warmth?
I do know the surface is cold but theres got to be away to heat it.
               Just a few thoughts kinda curiuos as to any responces  thank you

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#28 2019-10-25 16:53:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

Grim77b, welcome to newmars and while K.I.S.S. is appropriate for somethings its not until you do the material science that it falls appart.
Until we have the BFR/ starship combo launch the 100 mT to orbit we are left to look at the mass limitations of what we send to mars. That limitation makes some of the choices much harder to make as you are looking for the biggest bang for the buck when it comes launched from earth to mars.
Small canyons are really not all that small of mars or even here on earth but a deep with fixed size width trench is a canyon that we can build with and use. Man would want to not need to be in a space suit but that raises the mass of the materials to widthstand the internal pressure to support a man inside the trench canyon construction.
Then there is the mars weather and temperature conditions that tend to make materials degrade quickly from cold and UV light. Then as we continue to add to the wish list of construction parts to function we add to the complexity and mass to build it.
So how simple and to what extent is the question for the wish list of what we want to grow with in it.

#29 2019-11-04 11:38:48

knightdepaix

https://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Resear … lar%20wind "shows that a stronger solar wind mainly accelerates particles already escaping the planet's gravity, but does not increase the ion escape rate. Contrary to previous assumptions, the induced magnetosphere is also shown to protect the bulk of the Martian ionosphere from solar wind energy transfer."

https://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Resear … ar%20wind. "shows that a stronger solar wind mainly accelerates particles already escaping the planet's gravity, but does not increase the ion escape rate. Contrary to previous assumptions, the induced magnetosphere is also shown to protect the bulk of the Martian ionosphere from solar wind energy transfer."

Last edited by knightdepaix (2019-11-04 11:40:12)

Board footer