New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2004-11-11 10:15:19

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Re: Future news; - that you can use now. . .

The problem for the Republicans is who could they possibley come up with to replace Bush? The only real candidates that i can think of are McCain, Giuliani or Schwarzenegar (if he can get the law changed), none of whom are overly religious (and so wont especially attract the religious right) and all three of whom are moderate in their views (they have different stances to Bush on gay marriage, abortion and stem cell research - all of which are still likely to be hot topics in 2008). So Bush wont be able to really campaign in suport of any of them (or shouldnt if he really believes half the cr*p he comes out with) and the religious right arent going to get nearly as worked up about them.

He's managed to change what it is to be a republican and in 2008 i think the real republicans are going to want their party back - which should be a very interesing and messy fight to watch. Basically, Bush may turn out to be one of the worst things to have happened to the Republicans, not the best. Isnt their a saying abouth the price of success?

Of course there could always be.....

CHENEY-WOLFOWITZ 2004!    :laugh:  big_smile  :laugh:

That would be the best presidential ticket ever!

Actually I'd Like to see Rice-Rumsfeild 08' but that wont happen.

I actually think we are going to see the fracturing of the democratic party in the near future because their two biggest constituency groups are diametrically opposed, the heavy industrial unions and the radical environmentalist, too rather incompatable interest groups. I'd also like to see the libertarian party gain ground, end up with a strong four party system by 2075, Greens, Labors, Republicans, and Libertarians.

I have to say Badnarik had the best campaign slogan of the election, "Libertarians, we're pro choice....on everything"

#27 2004-11-11 10:43:27

Palomar

*Can't rule out yet another member of the Bush Family possibly running for Presidency:  Jeb.

He was recently (within the week) asked if he's considering running in 2008.  He said no.

But we all know things can (and do) change. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#28 2004-11-11 11:37:26

Cobra Commander

Algol

He's managed to change what it is to be a republican and in 2008 i think the real republicans are going to want their party back - which should be a very interesing and messy fight to watch.

PurduesUSAFguy

I actually think we are going to see the fracturing of the democratic party in the near future...

You're both right. The Republicans are conditioned to two things, conservatism (as opposed to compassionate or neo conservatism) and of being a minority party. Bush has made them the majority while trashing many conservative principles. The Party is ripe for a split.

The Democrats too are conditioned, they're used to being the majority party and holding some moral high-ground of their own creation. Now that they aren't, they're flipping out. With each failure the far-Left fringe grows more shrill and irrational, thus alienating the moderate Democrats. Split impending.

A Bush loss could have partially defused the situation, but a Bush win... that accelerates the demise of both parties as we know them.

Muahahahaha!  big_smile

It is not yet the time for "bringing people together" I'm afraid. I'd prefer if it were, but to quote the late, great Ronald Reagan, "if it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with." Speaking metaphorically, of course.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Board footer