New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#301 2006-10-23 08:00:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Nasa Shuttle, ISS Woes & To-Mars

Here is info on the manefest for the Progress 23P Cargo Manifest as of 11 August 2006 otherwise known as Progress M-58.

After launching from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan on Monday, Oct. 23, the ISS Progress 23 spacecraft will dock to the station at 10:28 a.m. EDT Oct. 26.

#302 2006-10-26 11:17:53

Grypd

There appears to be a problem in the progress latching onto the ISS.

Apparently an Antenna has not folded away as it is designed to do, so it cannot lock onto the docking port.

ISS supply ship fails to lock on

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#303 2006-10-26 13:20:09

cIclops

Progress now latched and docked with the ISS

From NASA:
Due to concern that an antenna on the Progress 23 was not retracted for docking and could interfere with final latching, flight controllers delayed fully latching the supply ship for about three hours. Russian flight controllers determined the antenna was not a problem and the Progress 23 was latched at 2 p.m. EDT.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#304 2006-12-01 22:17:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

The last space walk they tried to free up the antenna but was not able to get it to move. Orbital repairmen will have to try again, Heavier-duty tools may be used to free jammed antenna on space station
The article goes into details as to what happened and how to the antenna.

In most recent news the stations attempt to boost its altitude was cut short when a break reset making the change only about a kilometer rather than the expected change to allow for the next shuttle mission in under a week away now on the 7th.
Another attempt will be made on Monday.

This reboost problem has happened before with it cutting out and was ok on a second try but I wonder if it is time to replace that circuitry...

#305 2006-12-02 06:16:33

Grypd

The last space walk they tried to free up the antenna but was not able to get it to move. Orbital repairmen will have to try again, Heavier-duty tools may be used to free jammed antenna on space station
The article goes into details as to what happened and how to the antenna.

In most recent news the stations attempt to boost its altitude was cut short when a break reset making the change only about a kilometer rather than the expected change to allow for the next shuttle mission in under a week away now on the 7th.
Another attempt will be made on Monday.

This reboost problem has happened before with it cutting out and was ok on a second try but I wonder if it is time to replace that circuitry...

So heavier tools.

Is it just me or does this not bring to mind they are calling for a sledgehammer.

So in space emergency repair procedure 1 still applies  tongue

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#306 2006-12-18 08:31:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems like that special tool will get a whack at that stuck solar array.

Interesting Review on the The long-term future of the ISS

Even if NASA has the Orion and its Ares 1 launch vehicle ready before 2014, the agency is not now planning to operate the ISS past 2016. This does not mean they intend to abandon it: the 2016 date was chosen arbitrarily for the purposes of determining life-cycle costs.

Thanks to last year’s Congressional mandate that turned the ISS from a space station into a “national laboratory”, like Los Alamos or Lawrence Livermore, it is doubtful that NASA will abandon it after 2016.

The limited cargo capability of the Orion will give the US an alternative way to support its activities if the COTS-derived systems are forced off-line by an accident or for any other reason. NASA will also want to fly the Orion as much as possible in order to gain as much in-orbit experience as possible. The more time the CEV spends in space, the better the agency and its contractors will understand its systems before the lunar missions begin.

#307 2006-12-19 13:31:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

c_12172006_520.gif

This ones for you GCNRevenger  lol  wink

#308 2006-12-19 20:08:29

dicktice

What's your point, SpaceNut? The experience being gained at long last is beginning to pay off. I for one am damned glad we're learning how to fix stuff without an instruction rehearsal, in our own backyard of space, instead of somewhere out there beyond cislunar space. Still lots to learn and gain confidence in doing, with only thirteen shuttle missions remaining--if that.

#309 2006-12-19 21:41:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sorry it was meant to be funny, as you have seen this is the only opinion that GCNRevenger has of the ISS and Shuttle.

Yes it is a good back yard experience, it is too bad that we took the first 100 flights to decide to finally build it. Also even when it is complete, shuttle may still be needed whether the vision statement put an end date for use or not.

Oh by the way I would be glad to take any paid for seat rejected by others if the chance presented its self.

#310 2006-12-20 05:32:51

Grypd

When I look at the cartoon it brings to mind the growing belief that space has little or no actual effect on people. This is wrong but it is what the common person thinks that we appear to be spending a lot of money for little or no "real" benefit

#311 2006-12-21 19:34:44

dicktice

It was because we were overly concerned about damage in orbit, eg. micro-meteorite strikes and such, that we overlooked launch-induced damage that the piggy-back fueltank configuration would eventually come back and haunt us. Only in-space inspection and repair capability not envisioned until 100+ launchings playing "Russian roulettee" with the reentries finally caught up with us. I blame the politicians' inordinate influence upon the Space Shuttle program for the on-again-off-again safety "fixes," starting with the solid booster rocket launch failure which was politically scheduled to take place in spite of below temperature recommendations. It was only when the Canadarm extension camera iroutine nspection capability was added that the program has taken off again. I point out the obvious with 20/20 hindsight, because every space program with absolutely never-before-encountered problems is bound by Murphy's Law to be encumbered by unthought-of  situations. Something Politicians don't want to know about if it's going to happen beyond their next election campaign.

#312 2007-01-06 21:28:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Teaching a new trick to the old ISS Control Moment Gyro (CMG) attitude controller Draper-Developed Trajectory Maneuvers Space Station Without Using Propellant was flight tested successfully on November 5

This flight demonstration of the ZPM method successfully completed a 90 degree rotation using only three CMGs.  The maneuver used 80 combined attitude and rate commands spaced 90 seconds apart, taking a total time of approximately 2 hours.  An equivalent maneuver using the Station thrusters would have taken less time but would have consumed costly propellant

#313 2007-01-10 08:43:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

While it was more than a year ago when shuttle was not flying and Nasa at the time needed to buy seats for US crew to and from the ISS. Now if this story line
NASA To Buy 4 Russian Spacecrafts is true, what is going on is the question...

#314 2007-01-10 09:11:47

GCNRevenger

Simple

The original ISS deal with the Russians, as condition for them signing on with us, was for the US to provide the emergency escape vehicle after a certain date. We didn't. Therefore the only available option for crew escape is the Soyuz capsule, which only Russia makes and launches. So, we will have to buy them as per terms of the deal.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#315 2007-01-10 12:23:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ah,, the orbital space plane (OSP) concept of using a taxi to orbit in the Crew transfer vehicle and Crew Rescue Vehicle (CRV) which was the attempt to use the X-38 program which morphed into the Space Launch Initiative (SLI) which was to be available at least by 2007. These programs were all killed in 2004. Which start all the issues with purchase and swapping of services.

#316 2007-01-11 08:20:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Gee the leaked level of build seems to be alot lower than first thought.
Russia in talks to build 12 spacecraft for NASA, ESA

We know of the previous contract need of 2 soyuz

"In late 2006, NASA signed a contract with research and production association Energia [the corporation's subsidiary] on the production of two Progress spacecraft, which are to be launched in 2007 and 2008,"

But here is the future planning:

Talks to build six Soyuz and six Progress craft in 2009, 2010, and 2011 to launch American and European astronauts into space are ongoing."

From the dates it would more than appear that Nasa is planning for the down years in man flight capabilities.

Not to mention that they will be launching another 26 spacecraft between 2009 - 2012.

That makes for a tremendous build up of production...

#317 2007-01-11 10:18:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Current flight use to ISS for these.

January 18 - Progress M-59 (24P)
April 9 - Soyuz TMA-10 (14S)
May 12 - Progress M-60 (25P)
September 3 - Progress M-61 (26P)
October 6 - Soyuz TMA-11 (15S)
November 15 - Progress M-62 (27P)

January 29 - Progress M-63 (28P)
April 8 - Soyuz TMA-12 (16S)

#318 2007-01-30 14:32:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

The typical Russian wording but it should bring home the message to get Orion / Ares I built so as to stop the propaganda train...

ISS to operate until 2025, only Russia to orbit crews by 2015 Of which the Orion should begin flying I would hope sooner than 2015.

"No one is going to sink or drop the ISS, as all countries realize that the station is becoming a full-scale industrial facility in space. Although it is scheduled for decommissioning in 2015, its operational life could be prolonged until 2025,"

"If we terminate its existence, it would be hard for mankind to implement such a project anew,"

#319 2007-01-30 15:56:11

GCNRevenger

But it really wouldn't, if they just built a slightly smaller station in one big piece and put it on Ares-V.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#320 2007-02-08 10:29:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

ISS Astronauts Gear Up for Third Spacewalk

Gunning for the record

With eight spacewalks, 54 hours and 42 minutes of EVA work under his belt, Lopez-Alegria has nearly caught up with NASA’s current-all-time spacewalker Jerry Ross, who racked up 58 hours and 32 minutes in nine spacewalks.

The world spacewalking title is firmly in the grasp of Russian cosmonaut Anatoly Solovyev, who staged 16 career spacewalks for a total of about 72 hours and 28 minutes.

With probably no more than 15 flights remaining to complete the ISS it has if anything caused more problems by trying to retire the shuttle than one could have imagined.

Space station's hull to heave with spare parts

With the number of space shuttle flights limited to no more than 15 before the vehicles retire in 2010, NASA is facing the problem of getting broken gear on the ISS back to Earth for repair. So the agency is trying a new tactic – they are stashing as many spare parts as they can on the ISS now.

By bring up the extra parts to the stations though its mass will grow and with that the orbit will decay faster needing more service than we would normally need in reboost. Not to mention more things will go unfound and the clutter will increase leaving less room to do work or to move around in.

Cargo trips
In addition to the problem of getting stuff down to Earth, NASA also has far more equipment on the ground waiting to be taken to the station than they have room to carry on the remaining space shuttles.

Between 2007 and 2009, there are 13 metric tonnes of gear that currently has no assigned way of getting to the station. From 2010 through 2015, after the shuttles retire, that figure rises to 62.4 metric tonnes.

Seems we are already behind the eight ball on this issue...

#321 2007-02-12 07:24:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

I had all but forgot about the Centrifuge module a life science unit sitting unfinished at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency in Tsukuba.

Lab module unfinished due to NASA

#322 2007-02-12 15:40:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Power briefly out in space station

Glitch shut down communication systems, gyroscope, lights and heaters

Parts of the international space station lost power for much of Sunday, but the three-member crew wasn't at risk and everything was fixed by Monday morning, officials said.

NASA investigates space station power loss

#323 2007-02-12 16:24:10

GCNRevenger

Mir 2.0, here we come!

Down with the ISS!

#324 2007-02-12 16:39:04

dicktice

Boy, GCNR, sometimes you come across as a spoiled-rotten little kid!

#325 2007-02-12 18:38:36

Martin_Tristar

right on, dicktice, I thought the ISS was Mir 2.0 , you couldn't call it skylab 2.0 or better MirLab 1.0 and the systems can't talk - one in english and the other in russian, " Me don't speak your language , hehehe"

Board footer