New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#176 2005-06-02 05:08:32

Palomar

Re: Singularity - Black Holes, Gamma Rays, Magnetars, etc

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … 62005]Back to the ol' drawing board...

*Quasar study from NSF's VLBA. 

They were expecting to find magnetic forces twisting the jet while keeping middle material aligned.  They found just the opposite:  The edges of the jet are aligned and the center is "scattered."

In technical terms, the twisted magnetic field should cause a steady change, or gradient, in the amount by which the alignment (polarization) of the radio waves is rotated as one looks across the width of the jet. That gradient showed up in the VLBA observations. However, with a twisted magnetic field, the percentage of the waves that are similarly aligned, or polarized, should be at its greatest at the center of the jet and decrease steadily toward the edges. Instead, the observations showed the percentage of polarization increasing toward the edges.

Some interesting history in the article regarding Quasar 3C 273:

3C 273 is one of the most famous quasars in astronomy, and was the first to be recognized as a very distant object in 1963. Caltech astronomer Maarten Schmidt was working on a brief scientific article about 3C273 on the afternoon of February 5 that year when he suddenly recognized a pattern in the object's visible-light spectrum that allowed an immediate calculation of its distance. He later wrote that "I was stunned by this development..." Just minutes later, he said, he met his colleague Jesse Greenstein, who was studying another quasar, in a hallway. In a matter of another few minutes, they found that the second one also was quite distant. 3C 273 is about two billion light-years from Earth in the constellation Virgo, and is visible in moderate-sized amateur telescopes.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#177 2005-06-06 15:21:14

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.htm … 32]Mystery to figure out

*Deals with black hole possibility.  Will place this article here, rather than in "New Discoveries #5" thread.

Concerns Supernova 1987A, which occurred in the Large Magellanic Cloud.  It was the closest supernova to us in the past 300 years. 

However, it seems to have left no core behind.  Even the power-house HST has failed to locate a black hole or ultracompact neutron star believed to have been created by the supernova.  Pulsar has been ruled out?

They speculate a neutron star was formed...and are wondering why we can't see it. 

The progenitor of supernova (SN) 1987A weighed 20 times as much as the sun, placing it right on the dividing line and leaving astronomers uncertain about what type of compact object it produced. All observations to date have failed to detect a light source in the center of the supernova remnant, leaving the question of the outcome unanswered.

Observations have ruled out the possibility of a pulsar within SN 1987A. Even if the pulsar's beams were not aimed at the earth, they would light the surrounding gas clouds. However, theories predict that it can take anywhere from 100 to 100,000 years for a pulsar to form following a supernova, because the neutron star must gain a sufficiently strong magnetic field to power the pulsar beam. SN 1987A may be too young to hold a pulsar.

As a result, the only way astronomers might detect the central object is to search for evidence of matter accreting onto either a neutron star or a black hole.

Will keep tabs on this story.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#178 2005-06-09 09:30:51

Palomar

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … 862005]The search for positronium

*Lots of new info to me.  Fascinating.

When a positron and electron meet, both are annihilated and produce 2 gamma rays. 

Sometimes annihilation is preceded by the formation of positronium, which comes in 2 forms, is unstable and then decays into either 2 or 3 gammas. 

Says astronomers have been aware since the 1970s that positrons are plentiful in the universe.

Wouldn't this be spectacular:

If you could look into the sky with gamma ray eyes, you'd see gamma ray bursts, and other sources of gamma radiation across the night sky. If you could fine tune your eyes to only see a very specific colour of gamma rays, the one associated with the annihilation of matter and antimatter, you'd see wash of energy, but not coming from any specific location.

Of course we'd take it for granted, I suppose.  :-\

Says in the Milky Way bulge there's approximately 15 billion tons of positrons annihilated every secondyikes

That's as much mass as the electrons in tens of trillions of tons of stuff we're used to, like rocks or water; about as much as in a mid-sized asteroid, 40 km across.

Lots more interesting stuff in the article.  Enjoy!

--Cindy

#179 2005-06-10 05:10:04

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.htm … Cassiopeia A:  Magnetar?

*It's a supernova remnant from 350 years ago.  However, it's not yet "dead" and seems to have unleashed a burst of energy a mere 50 years ago.  They didn't anticipate that Spitzer could see light echoes.

The new infrared echo indicates the Cassiopeia A neutron star is active and suggests it may be an exotic, spastic type of object called a magnetar. Magnetars are like screaming dead stars, with eruptive surfaces that rupture and quake, pouring out tremendous amounts of high-energy gamma rays. Spitzer may have captured the "shriek" of such a star in the form of light zipping away through space and heating up its surroundings.

"Magnetars are very rare and hard to study, especially if they are no longer associated with their place of origin. If we have indeed uncovered one, then it will be just about the only one for which we know what kind of star it came from and when," Rieke said.

Excellent.  :up:

--Cindy

#180 2005-06-14 07:22:18

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980618.html]Cosmic Rays & Supernova Dust

*Cool artist's illustration.  :up: 

Cosmic Rays are celestial high energy particles traveling at nearly the speed of light, which constantly bombard the Earth...a recent theory suggests that cosmic ray particles are atomic nuclei blasted from dust grains formed in supernovae...

The shocks in the expanding blast wave then accelerate the atoms to near light speeds firing them into interstellar space like cosmic bullets.

--Cindy

#181 2005-06-21 09:20:50

Palomar

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … ml]Ripples on an ocean of neutrinos

*Lots of interesting reading.  Says background neutrinos (the ones resulting directly from the Big Bang, which have generally lost most of their energy due to the expansion and cooling of the Universe) number 2500 for every cubic inch of the Universe.  The standard theory is that they were released in huge swarms from the fires of the Big Bang (that would have been awesome to witness...it's a brain stretch to try and visualize it). 

Shows a CMB map, hot and cold spots, etc.  Comparisons to other types of neutrinos, properties and the like.

--Cindy

#182 2005-06-22 11:01:45

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap011112.html]Defies classification?

*Might be the first-known "orphan afterglow" -- which otherwise would have been a gamma-ray burst if its rays had been pointed in our direction.  Says it has unusual colors, is fading rapidly and seems to be associated with a galaxy.

Orphan afterglows, if they exist, could have unparalleled brightness, and hence be visible so far away that they yield key information about the early years of our universe.

Article is a few years old.  This is the first I recall seeing of it, and no related stories/followups.

--Cindy

#183 2005-06-23 04:50:19

Palomar

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … 262005]New form of matter created

*They're speculating this sort of matter might exist within black holes, neutron stars and perhaps was present in the early stages of the Big Bang. 

Is described as a gas which demonstrates "superfluidity at higher temperatures."  Superfluid gases have been created before, but at extremely cold temps ("just above Absolute Zero").

A superfluid gas can flow without resistance. It can be clearly distinguished from a normal gas when it is rotated. A normal gas rotates like an ordinary object, but a superfluid can only rotate when it forms vortices similar to mini-tornadoes. This gives a rotating superfluid the appearance of Swiss cheese, where the holes are the cores of the mini-tornadoes. "When we saw the first picture of the vortices appear on the computer screen, it was simply breathtaking,"

Interesting.  smile

--Cindy

#184 2005-06-23 07:15:39

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041211.html]Cosmic Blowtorch

*Astropix shuffling its archives around again?  If this was originally posted in December 2004, it seems I missed it somehow (doubtful).

Concerns M87, which is a member of the Virgo Cluster of galaxies.  50 million l/y distant and is classed as a giant elliptical galaxy. 

It possesses a jet which stretches out for a distance of 5,000 light years.  Is thought to be powered by a supermassive (central) black hole. 

--Cindy

#185 2005-06-24 06:27:13

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap981128.html]Lonely Neutron Star

*Combination of observatories utilized. 

They're wondering how massive a star can become without imploding into a black hole.

Astronomers are able to directly infer the star's size from measurements of its unblended brightness, temperature, and an upper limit on the distance. Assuming that the object is a neutron star of typical mass, some previous theories of neutron star structure would have predicted an implosion that would have created a black hole.

This neutron star is also a "window" of sorts, for clues and etc. 

--Cindy

#186 2005-06-27 07:16:12

Palomar

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … sim.html]A Code for the Heavens

*"Millenium Run."  I've mentioned this in a different thread, when it was first announced.  As this article deals a lot with quasars, black holes and dark matter, I'm placing it here. 

The simulation starts when the universe was 10 million years old and evolves it all the way to the present – 13 billion odd years later.

Says quasars are of especial interest in this study.

Of particular interest in the "bright and shiny" category are quasars – the most luminous objects in the universe.  They are believed to be giant black holes – some of them billions of times more massive than our Sun – which are gobbling up very hot, glowing material...

These black hole quasar candidates can be traced from when the universe was only a few 100 million years old, all the way to the present.  If the simulation is correct, the first quasar galaxies later turned into the massive galaxies that now sit in the center of the biggest galaxy clusters.

Check out the Images section, too.  :up:

--Cindy

#187 2005-06-29 07:40:33

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050628.html]Giant radio lobes of Fornax A

*A black hole may be responsible for this, so will post it here.  Concerns NGC 1316, which is "in" the constellation of Fornax; it's 60,000 light years in diameter and 75 million light years distant.  It's an elliptical galaxy which apparently devoured a smaller neighboring galaxy 100 million years ago.  Gas from that collision has fallen towards NGC 1316's central massive black hole; the resulting friction has heated up gasses to 10 million degrees.

The radio lobes extend over 1 million light years.   

For reasons not yet well understood, two oppositely pointed fast moving jets of particles then developed, eventually smashing into the ambient material on either side of the giant elliptical galaxy. The result is a huge reservoir of hot gas that emits radio waves, observed as the orange (false-color) radio lobes in the above image.

The directions of the jets may have altered somewhat, as indicated by "strange patterns" within the radio lobes.

--Cindy

#188 2005-07-05 12:59:00

Palomar

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … rophysical jets recreated in lab?

*From Caltech.  They've created plasma jets up to 13 inches in length which endure for less than a second.  Article includes image.  P. Bellan in charge of this study.  He says they're not claiming these -are- scale models, but he's confident they've captured "the essence of" ap jets.

A machine called a spheromak creates the jets, which can reach up to speeds of 111,800 mph. 

The new results show that plasma in a spheromak oddly enough behaves more like a bunch of ropes with empty space between them than a uniform sphere, Bellan said.

--Cindy

#189 2005-07-09 05:29:54

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.htm … 87]Mystery compact object producing high-energy radiation

*Study from H.E.S.S. (High Energy Stereoscopic System).  Concerns a VHE (very high energy) gamma ray source.  Gives  a bit of history of this field, the instrumentation, etc.

Mystery object -- LS5039 -- is thought to be a microquasar, which is a binary system. 

Only a few such objects are known to exist in our galaxy and one of them, an object called LS5039, has now been detected

But they're not sure what the object is.  It has characteristics of a neutron star.  Also speculation it might be a black hole.  It possesses a jet, but that jet is slow by comparison to others; moving only about 20% the speed of light. 

Nor is it clear how the gamma rays are being produced. As Dr. Guillaume Dubus of the Ecole Polytechnique points out "We really shouldn't have detected this object. Very high energy gamma rays emitted close to the companion star are more likely to be absorbed, creating a matter/antimatter cascade, than escape from the system."

Dr Paula Chadwick of the University of Durham adds "It's very exciting to have added another class of object to the growing catalogue of gamma ray sources. It's an intriguing object - it will take more observations to work out what is going on in there."

Cool.  We'll be staying tuned.

--Cindy

#190 2005-07-11 11:51:10

Palomar

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … Eye-to-eye with a black hole

*Says most BH's are thought to rotate, and many of them at high speeds.  Jupiter was used in this simulation (Images).  The blue circle indicates the event horizon.  Smaller BH's are more deadly than large ones.

Mentions speculation about "naked" singularity:

exposing the point of infinite density -- called the singularity -- at the center of the hole. 

"A 'naked' singularity is a black hole that is rotating so fast that light can escape from it along certain trajectories.  Hence, an outside observer could 'see' the singularity at the center," Kornreich said.

A body spinning above the theoretical limit would likely fall apart before ever forming a black hole, so naked singularities are unlikely to exist.  "But they are interesting to think about," Kornreich said.

--Cindy

#191 2005-07-13 14:18:43

Palomar

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … 2005]Combo of 'scopes finds a neutron star

*Yippee.  smile  Neutron star has been dubbed IGR J16283-4838.  It's described as an "ultra-dense ember" of a supernovaed star.  Took the combined efforts of Integral (ESA), Swift and Rossi (NASA) to locate and identify it.  Way to go, teamwork!  :band:

IGR J16283-4838 is described as "double hidden":  It's located aprox 20,000 l/y away in a very dusty part of the Norma arm of our Milky Way Galaxy -and- is also cloaked within the dense gases of a binary system. 

“Our Galaxy’s spiral arms are loaded with neutron stars, black holes and other exotic objects, but the problem is that the spiral arms are too dusty to see through,” said Dr Volker Beckmann at NASA Goddard Spaceflight Centre, lead author of the combined results.

“The right combination of X-ray and gamma-ray telescopes could reveal what is hiding there, and provide new clues about the true star formation rate in our Galaxy,” he added.

Bring it on!  big_smile

IGR J16283-4838 is the seventh so-called ‘highly absorbed’, or hidden neutron star to be identified...IGR J16283-4838 revealed itself with an ‘outburst’ on or near its surface.

Great.  :up:

--Cindy

#192 2005-07-14 06:02:30

Palomar

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/gamma-05m.html]X-ray oscillations and neutron stars

*Includes artist's conception and animation. 

the explosion produced vibrations within the star, like a ringing bell, that generated rapid fluctuations in the X-ray radiation it emitted into space.

These X-ray pulses, emitted during each seven second rotation by the fast-spinning star, contained the frequency vibrations of the neutron star's massive quakes.

Lots of questions:

Now the question is, What does the frequency of the neutron star's oscillations—the tone produced by the ringing bell—mean?

"Does it mean neutron stars are just a bunch of neutrons packed together? Or do neutron stars have exotic particles, like quarks, at their centers as many scientists believe? And how does the crust of a neutron star float on top of its superfluid core?

The peculiar oscillations the researchers found began three minutes after a titanic explosion on a neutron star that --  for only a tenth of a second -- released more energy than the sun emits in 150,000 years.  The oscillations then gradually receded after about 10 minutes.

the X-ray fluctuations discovered from this explosion should provide critical information about the internal structure of neutron stars.

Mentions the December 2004 incident again (posted about previously in this thread):

SGR 1806-20, the formal designation of the neutron star that exploded and sent X-rays flooding through the galaxy on December 27, 2004—producing a flash brighter than anything ever detected beyond the solar system—is one of them. The flash was so bright that it blinded all X-ray satellites in space for an instant and lit up the Earth's upper atmosphere.

--Cindy

#193 2005-07-14 07:23:49

srmeaney

All the Answers:

Question 1:

I went through the interactive.  Near the end of it is mentioned the "Singularity" which caption reads:  "Region of infinite density where matter is crushed out of existence."

I'm rather sure I've read and heard before (various sources) that matter is indestructible.  How, then, can it be crushed out of existence?  And, if matter can be crushed out of existence, what is in the area now where matter once existed?  Doesn't SOMETHING have to now exist in the place where this matter was "crushed out of existence"?  And if so, what?

I'm very VERY curious about this.  Any input would be appreciated.

Its all a field (a Quantum interference Group) entangled through possibility. When the field is 'crushed out of existance, it is reduced to one single vector(as long as it is in our Universe)then hits node of Absolute zero and no longer generates a Quantum Interference Pattern that is visible in your Universe (The Interference is existance: matter, energy, time...), It is still there. The Matter is still in the Universe. A singularity has a single field vector and everything has adjusted to that field vector. You are made up of a Quantum Interference Field (think of it like a bubble functioning in more dimensions than you care to consider - the colours moving across the surface denote all the dimensions, changes in possibility, ect). You dont see the matter that has been "destroyed" because all the common Group dimensional harmonics that you shared with it are no longer the same including time. The "black hole" has  altered the dimensional make up of the field. Now some components are released back into this universe because the logic of their existance is tied to this universe (as long as A is in the Universe it exists and as a consequence can be exerted upon by other objects- these are all the same object because it is this fundamental non-object that is interacted with to create everything anyhow).
Where did the other stuff go? It went to the point when the big bang happened (>zero). The expansion of everything from nowhere.  Everything is emitted simultaneously from that point. The beginning. The distance from the beginning to a singularity is time. Space has no meaning because it is all time and time is a consequence of interation with something that doesnt exist (a point outside the universe).

#194 2005-07-20 12:20:46

Palomar

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … ml?2072005

*How millisecond pulsars spin so fast.

Study involves star cluster 47 Tucanae (or 47 Tuc W).  Some stars there are less than 0.1 light years apart.  This cluster has aprox 2 dozen millisecond pulsars.  Scientists speculating these MSP's started out as "regular" neutron stars.  This cluster also produces more high-energy X-rays than other clusters.

Mentions J1808:

the X-ray signature and variability of the light from 47 Tuc W are nearly identical to those observed from an X-ray binary source known as J1808. They suggest that these similarities between a known millisecond pulsar and a known X-ray binary provide the long-sought link between these types of objects.

Hmmmm...that's the first time I recall reading about that sort of link.

In theory, the first step toward producing a millisecond pulsar is the formation of a neutron star when a massive star goes supernova. If the neutron star is in a globular cluster, it will perform an erratic dance around the center of the cluster, picking up a companion star which it may later swap for another.

As on a crowded dance floor, the congestion in a globular cluster can cause the neutron star to move closer to its companion, or to swap partners to form an even tighter pair. When the pairing becomes close enough, the neutron star begins to pull matter away from its partner. As matter falls onto the neutron star, it gives off X-rays. An X-ray binary system has been formed, and the neutron star has made the crucial second step toward becoming a millisecond pulsar.

The matter falling onto the neutron star slowly spins it up, in the same way that a child's carousel can be spun up by pushing it every time it comes around. After 10 to 100 million years of pushing, the neutron star is rotating once every few milliseconds. Finally, due to the rapid rotation of the neutron star, or the evolution of the companion, the infall of matter stops, the X-ray emission declines, and the neutron star emerges as a radio-emitting millisecond pulsar.

Swing your partner round and round, huh?  LOL.

Crazy universe.  big_smile

--Cindy

#195 2005-07-20 14:56:39

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000117.html

*Closest Candidate Black Hole

{{'Jaws' theme music}}

Is only 1500 l/y distant.  V4641Sgr "in" Sagittarius.  Its short-lived explosions (which don't endanger us) and jets are puzzling, as they fade within mere minutes; also, the explosions sometimes appear in different bands of light.  :-\  Scientists trying to figure out why this candidate BH behaves strangely as compared to other BH behavior.

--Cindy

#196 2005-07-22 07:21:26

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap9712 … icroquasar jets

*This is from 1997.  The activity was detected on 29 October 1997; by the date of the Astropix article (Dec. 2, 1997) the plasma bubbles were already gone. 

Concerns microquasar GRS1915.  It was expelling high-powered jets of hot gas, one of which was aimed almost directly at us and traveling at 90% the speed of light.  The other jet was moving away from us (seems the typical bipolar setup).

The images are computer-enhanced radio images. 

Each of the four frames marks the passage of one day.

--Cindy

#197 2005-07-29 17:00:27

srmeaney

Heres a thought, A black hole isnt just a node point for one direction through time its a black hole (a node) no matter which direction through time you travel That would imply no white hole exists-i had considered a black hole from our perspective of time is a whitehole from opposite time.

If it isnt a point, and is a blackhole no matter the direction of the time inwhich you exist, it could well be the edge of the universe. It just looks like a hole or a point.

Ok if the edge of the universe is just there, then why isnt it there for the rest of the universe? Why would the edge of the universe be "so close"?

Because the universe has been damaged?

The "Universe" is no longer there (or ends there) because somehow it is gone or destroyed. Something would have happened to destroy the Universe (everything that "is" has collapsed to a zero state and that null is expanding).

Perhaps this null is reflecting everything that touches it back along the same path of existance.

A black hole gains something that doesnt reflect back through itself.

Everything is time.
If time doesnt reflect back, a black hole is gaining time.
if time does reflect back, then what is the blackhole gaining? Time is the only thing - Possibility?

Possibility? Strings are a seperation of possibility.

Its nulling time and gathering possibility. This is happening in all directions simultaneously.

What caused that? Uncertainty is what keeps everything peachy therefor certainty is what happened. Only certainty can null time and gather possibility.

Something achieved superposition?

#198 2005-08-02 07:04:11

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000619.html]Is a black hole responsible for this superjet?

*Wow.  From Pictor A galaxy.  The jet is nearly 1 million l/y long; is composed of electrons and protons shooting out at near light speed.  Pictor A is known for strong radio emissions. 

At the far end of the jet on the right a hot spot glows as the intense particle beam bores through a gas cloud in intergalactic space.

--Cindy

#199 2005-08-03 03:53:23

DonPanic
Website

#200 2005-08-04 05:42:54

Palomar

*Thanks for posting that.  It's the first reference I've seen to Sgr A*-f.  We've posted various articles pertaining to Sgr A* before.  I'm still waiting for the movie in the article to download. 

The 3.8 microns emission from Sgr A* would then associate sudden energetic events in the close environment of the black hole and a quiescent emission from Sgr A*-f heated by a colliding Sgr A* jet.

I wonder how long (distance) the jet(s) from our central BH may be.  I recently posted a nearly million light-year long jet from Pictor A.

During the 2004 campaign of the Galactic Centre observations, analogous flares have been observed in the thermal infrared at 3.8 microns (cf. Figure 1). The flares are similarly evolving on short timescales, about few tens of minutes, with a flux amplification factor about 2 to 3.

Says SgrA*-f's emissions can't be stellar nor heated dust within SgrA*'s accretion disc. 

A mechanism explaining the Sgr A*-f luminosity could be the energy transfer from a Sgr A* jet to the dusty material surrounding Sgr A* through collisions

Groovy.  cool

--Cindy

Board footer