New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#226 2005-11-02 11:41:25

Palomar

Re: Singularity - Black Holes, Gamma Rays, Magnetars, etc

Neutron star found where black hole was expected

*Concerns a neutron star with a diameter of 12 miles, residing in a very young cluster of stars (-where-, i.e. "in" or towards what constellation, which celestial hemisphere, etc., isn't mentioned).  This star had 40 times the mass of Sol.  Study is from Chandra X-Ray Observatory.

It was previously believed that when a massive star imploded it had no choice but to become a black hole.  Now it seems if the star has a bit of "wiggle room" it can become a neutron star instead.  The exact mechanisms/variables of -why- remain to be determined.

Neutron stars have greater influence on their surroundings:

When very massive stars shirk convention and turn into neutron stars instead of black holes, they have a greater influence on the composition of future generations of stars. Instead of having most of its mass gobbled up by a black hole, the star sends more than 95 percent of its mass – mostly metal-rich material from its core – into the surrounding space.

“This means that enormous amounts of heavy elements are put back into circulation and can form other stars and planets,”

astronomers don’t know how massive a star must be to form a black hole instead of a neutron star.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#227 2005-11-02 11:56:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

I wonder if the missing variable to this type of formation occurence is dependent on what size planets and there proximity to the star as it gets to this stage? Which star this occured to is not mentioned in the article?

#228 2005-11-02 13:21:37

Palomar

In the same issue of Nature, a team of Chinese researchers reported on a separate issue. They said they had found that the super-massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way is small enough that it would fit between the Earth and the sun. That puts it at half the size of previous estimates.

*If proven true, what a surprise.  neutral

That's from a Yahoo! astronomy article on a totally UNrelated topic, stuck at the end of the article like an afterthought.  Will defer posting the article itself to avoid going off-topic.

Will be on the lookout for follow-up articles...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#229 2005-11-18 06:57:13

Palomar

New report from ESA's Integral

*Seems better placed here than the "New Discoveries" thread. 

ESA's Integral gamma-ray observatory has discovered a new, highly populated class of X-ray fast 'transient' binary stars, undetected in previous observations.

With this discovery, Integral confirms how much it is contributing to revealing a whole hidden Universe.

The new class of double star systems is characterised by a very compact object that produces highly energetic, recurrent and fast-growing X-ray outbursts, and a very luminous 'supergiant' companion.

The compact object can be an accreting body such as a black hole, a neutron star or a pulsar. Scientists have called such class of objects 'supergiant fast X-ray transients'. 'Transients' are systems which display periods of enhanced X-ray emission.

Before the launch of Integral, only a dozen X-ray binary stars containing supergiants had been detected. Actually, scientists thought that such high-mass X-ray systems were very rare, assuming that only a few of them would exist at once since stars in supergiant phase have a very short lifetime.

However, Integral's data combined with other X-ray satellite observations indicate that transient supergiant X-ray binary systems are probably much more abundant in our Galaxy than previously thought.

--Cindy

#230 2006-01-11 09:17:24

Palomar

BH's stirring up galaxies

*...bein' badsmile  Study via Chandra X-ray Observatory:

Black holes are creating havoc in unsuspected places...The discovery of far-reaching explosive activity, due to giant central black holes in these old galaxies, was a surprise to astronomers.

"This is another example of how valuable it is to observe the universe at different wavelengths besides just the traditional optical wavelengths; without these X-ray and radio observations, we wouldn't know these apparently static galaxies in reality are still evolving due to the interaction with their central black holes..."

"Most elliptical galaxies have traditionally been considered to be quiet places, like placid lakes," Statler said. "Our results show these galaxies are a lot stormier than we thought."

Another fascinating glimpse into the take-and-give rhythms of nature...

--Cindy

#231 2006-05-16 12:23:39

Palomar

*Closest-spaced BH pair discovered

Astronomers using the National Science Foundation's Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA) radio telescope have found the closest pair of supermassive black holes ever discovered in the Universe -- a duo of monsters that together are more than 150 million times more massive than the Sun and closer together than the Earth and the bright star Vega.

"These two giant black holes are only about 24 light-years apart, and that's more than 100 times closer than any pair found before..."

The black hole pair is in the center of a galaxy called 0402+379, some 750 million light-years from Earth.  Astronomers presume that each of the supermassive black holes was once at the core of a separate galaxy, then the two galaxies collided, leaving the black holes orbiting each other. The black holes orbit each other about once every 150,000 years

Though they're "close" to us relatively speaking, they aren't expected to collide for another "billion billion years."  Thank god...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n060 … kholepair/

--Cindy

#232 2006-10-03 20:07:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

#233 2006-10-06 06:12:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Universe 'peppered' with black holes More than 200 exist

The research also revealed details of another phenomenon that scientists call "cocooned black holes" because the dust around them makes them almost invisible.

#234 2006-10-07 06:46:31

Palomar

Black holes and galaxy formation:

Sounds emitted might make the difference

"We can tell that many deep and different sounds have been rumbling through this cluster for most of the lifetime of the universe..."

These outbursts occur every few million years and prevent the gas from cooling and forming new stars, which is why M87 has retained its elliptical shape.

"If this black hole wasn't making all of this noise, M87 could have been a completely different type of galaxy, possibly a huge spiral galaxy about 30 times brighter than the Milky Way..."

The sound from M87's black hole is more discordant and deeper, with some sound waves implying a note around 56 octaves below middle C. Large outbursts, like the sonic boom, are evidence of deeper notes, closer to 58 or 59 octaves below middle C.

--Cindy

#235 2006-11-30 07:25:29

Palomar

[URL=http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21331]Black hole discovered which spins 950+ times per second[/URL]

:shock:   :?

Incomprehensible.  950+ times per second.

How can anything spin that fast?

#236 2006-12-01 12:31:04

C M Edwards

[URL=http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21331]Black hole discovered which spins 950+ times per second[/URL]

Wow.  The frame dragging around that black hole is precessing at a sizable fraction of the speed of light.  This should affect the centrifugal force in its neighborhood.  There may even be a region outside its event horizon where the net centrifugal force is downward. 

Cool.   8)

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#237 2006-12-02 08:35:20

Palomar

Wow.  The frame dragging around that black hole is precessing at a sizable fraction of the speed of light.  This should affect the centrifugal force in its neighborhood.  There may even be a region outside its event horizon where the net centrifugal force is downward. 

Cool.   8)

That is...groovy.  8)  Yeah, I'm really diggin' these vibes.  smile

#238 2006-12-06 14:35:15

Palomar

[URL=http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/NASA_Telescope_Sees_Black_Hole_Munch_On_A_Star_999.html]{{Gulp!}}  From 1st bite to nearing final swallow:  Black hole devouring star[/URL]

Is the 1st time astronomers are able to "watch" the process.

For some reason the article is repeated in the text.  ::shrugs::

Anyway, they're keeping tabs on the final vestiges of the devoured star's fading light.

A giant black hole has been caught red-handed dipping into a cosmic cookie jar of stars by NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer. This is the first time astronomers have seen the whole process of a black hole eating a star, from its first to nearly final bites. "This type of event is very rare, so we are lucky to study the entire process from beginning to end..."

Bon appetit, monsieur black hole.  tongue

#239 2007-01-03 14:16:06

Palomar

[URL=http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070103/sc_space/scientistsspotblackholeinunlikelyplace]Black hole found within a globular cluster[/URL]

What puzzles me most is how they discovered this in a globular cluster which is in another galaxy [which is 50 million light years away]??  :?  Globular clusters aren't extremely huge.  It'd be enough of a discovery if this GC resided within our Milky Way Galaxy.  Whatever. 

Anyway, the black hole is 10 times more massive than Sol.  They've theorized that gravitational interaction among black holes within a cluster would result in most, if not all, being kicked out.  Theorize that BH's sink to the cluster's center and then pair up with either a star or another BH.  If with a star, it "can" remain.  If with a BH, one or both will end up being ejected.

This one is thought to be paired with a star.

8)  Cool.

--Cindy

#240 2007-01-09 15:15:07

Palomar

Triple black hole discovered

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0701...old_triple.html

Is being called "unprecedented."  Finding quasars any time is extremely rare...let alone 3 of them together.  They're separated from each other by between only 100,000 to 150,000 light years (roughly the width of our Galaxy).  Observation made by European Space Observatory's VLT & Keck in Hawaii.

The quasars are estimated to be 10.5 billion years old. 

Also mentions that because space was smaller, galaxies collided more frequently back then.

#241 2007-01-12 08:04:33

Palomar

Sag A* has an "outburst":

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … _echo.html

Our Galaxy's central supermassive black hole (3 million times the mass of Sol), which is 27,000 light years away.  They think it "ate" something comparable to the mass of Mercury.  Sag A* has an outburst aprox every 100 years.  Light from the most recent became detectable to us 60 years ago; this outburst is 1,000 times brighter and longer in duration than normal.

Sag A* is considered unusually faint.  They believe that's because our Galaxy is very old and most of its "feeding" is done.

Article also mentions quasars and how they differ.

#242 2022-05-03 04:03:30

Mars_B4_Moon

The Black Hole Telescope Scientists Are Hyping Something Huge

https://futurism.com/the-byte/black-hol … thing-huge

#243 2022-05-12 02:44:48

Mars_B4_Moon

Astronomers hint at 1st photos of Milky Way's supermassive black hole
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/astronomers-h … 43690.html
'announcement will be made 9:07 a.m. ET.'

One of the most common FAQs we get at the EventHorizonTelescope — How can you see a black hole if it's black?
https://twitter.com/ehtelescope/status/ … 1848379399

This animation shows how our M87 black hole image is formed from light rays bent by the black hole’s immense gravity!

#244 2022-05-23 11:08:33

Mars_B4_Moon

Gaia Data Release 3 will be published on Monday 13 June 2022

https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/data-release-3

In October 2018, Leiden University astronomers were able to determine the orbits of 20 hypervelocity stars from the DR2 dataset. Expecting to find a single star exiting the Milky Way, they instead found seven. More surprisingly, the team found that 13 hypervelocity stars were instead approaching the Milky Way, possibly originating from as-of-yet unknown extragalactic sources.
In December 2019 the star cluster Price-Whelan 1 was discovered. The cluster belongs to the Magellanic Clouds and is located in the leading arm of these Dwarf Galaxies. The discovery suggests that the stream of gas extending from the Magellanic Clouds to the Milky Way is about half as far from the Milky Way as previously thought.
The Radcliffe wave was discovered in data measured by Gaia, published in January 2020.
In March 2021, the European Space Agency announced that Gaia had identified a transiting exoplanet for the first time.

Unmanned probes  . Gaia - ESA billion star survey satellite
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1443

#245 2022-05-27 10:40:07

Mars_B4_Moon

LISA, the mission to observe gravitational waves in space, into the design phase

https://www.ice.csic.es/news/news-press … sign-phase

#246 2022-06-13 12:39:19

Mars_B4_Moon

Scientists may have detected a free-floating black hole

‘Rogue’ black hole four times the size of our sun spotted floating free through our galaxy
https://news.yahoo.com/rogue-black-hole … 38718.html

#247 2022-06-25 18:04:48

Mars_B4_Moon

What is New in ESA's Gaia's Third Data Release

https://www.labroots.com/trending/chemi … -release-2

#248 2022-06-26 12:48:26

Mars_B4_Moon

Earlier today IceCube detected one of the highest-energy "cascade" events of recent years (480 TeV), likely produced by a neutrino of astrophysical origin. The event illuminated a good fraction of our km^3 detector
https://twitter.com/jmsantander/status/ … 5225919489
PDF
In 2020, detection of the Glashow resonance (formation of the W boson in antineutrino-electron collisions) was announced.
https://dipot.ulb.ac.be/dspace/bitstrea … .02976.pdf

#249 2022-06-26 13:10:40

Calliban

Mars_B4_Moon wrote:

Earlier today IceCube detected one of the highest-energy "cascade" events of recent years (480 TeV), likely produced by a neutrino of astrophysical origin. The event illuminated a good fraction of our km^3 detector
https://twitter.com/jmsantander/status/ … 5225919489
PDF
In 2020, detection of the Glashow resonance (formation of the W boson in antineutrino-electron collisions) was announced.
https://dipot.ulb.ac.be/dspace/bitstrea … .02976.pdf

That is interesting, because neutrinos are generated by nuclear reactions and have discrete energy levels.  480TeV is 2.5million times the energy generated by a nuclear fission event.  And neutrinos would only carry away about 10% of the energy generated by fission.  How did so much energy end up in a single neutrino?  They can't really build up energy, because they rarely interact with anything.  An interesting discovery I would suggest.

Last edited by Calliban (2022-06-26 13:11:32)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#250 2022-06-26 13:30:02

Mars_B4_Moon

its a big event, I have a few old science books but I have not read them in a while but my gut says its something massive like a Quasar, a neutrino maybe traveling at almost light speed but spat out from Colliding Neutron Stars, Magnetar, something spat out from something new and exotic an Anti-Matter wormhole, or from Black-holes or maybe a Blazar aka  active galactic nucleus (AGN).

Board footer