New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2003-11-11 16:33:31

jadeheart
Banned

Re: New research paper says - Mars life unlikely

What of the possiblity that earth seeded life on mars?  I hear nothing but the possiblity that mars seeded life on earth.

how about both of em seeded from comets?  this is mostly just a hunch, but i think the galaxy, if not the universe, is probably permiated with microbial life.  i think that if mars was ever wet & warm for at least a little while, i think we will find that microbes were able to establish a foothold there-- in keeping with the article that started this thread, they may have been brought there by the same bombardment that made it wet & warm.  for this reason i'm keenly interested in comet missions & finding out their composition down to the minutest detail.  i believe we will find that comets (and by extension probably the interstellar medium) are carriers of space-adapted microbes.  it has been pointed out that we already have these space-adapted microbes here on earth (e.g., radiodurans).  why would these critters have evolved traits like this on a planet that doesn't require these traits?  because they didn't originate here.

here's a link to a story that's probably old hat by now but i still think is tantalizing:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/11/2 … obe.claim/

as with any scientific finding, it's not without controversy & detractors.  time-- and some comet missions! will tell who's right.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

Board footer