New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-04-01 16:33:35

Cobra Commander

Re: Money,Martian currency,whose face on the marsbill?

Poor Martians, just trying to get away and here we're already dictating their currency. Frontier indeed. 

Though after some thought, I kind of like the "Kirk" bill. But only if it's backed by gold or some other mineral or metal of consequence, of course  big_smile

In your best exaggerated Captain Kirk impression...

Dammit Spock, four... bones for a cup of coffee!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#27 2004-04-01 16:45:22

clark

Shouldn't it be "Dammit Spock, [pause] four [pause] bones [pause] for a cup of [pause] coffee."  :laugh:

I can never listen to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, or Mr. Tambourine Man after hearing Shatner's rendition. But it was a fun ride.

I told you Cobra, I need the gold for my statues. big_smile

#28 2004-04-01 17:34:08

Cobra Commander

I told you Cobra, I need the gold for my statues.

And lo, the prophet Cobra came down from atop Olympus Mons bearing stone tablets inscribed with these commandments from on high...

Thou shalt not print fiat currency...

So I suppose your statues are okay.  We'll use silver-backed currency and just print more  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#29 2004-04-01 17:42:39

clark

You forgot...

Thou shall collect tiny baubbles to which all currency shall derive it's value and said tiny baubbles shall be placed within a darkened vault, protected by the valiant forces of fiscal responsibility from the sin and wickdness of currency manipulation and artifical inflation.

And the people beheld Cobra, for he said it was good, and the people looked upon, and said it was good. So it was, and so it shall always be.

Carpe Mars.  big_smile

#30 2004-04-01 23:38:21

~Eternal~

Eh.. why not use digital cash 8)... easier for Terran-Martian transactions.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#31 2004-04-01 23:46:02

Bill White

Dr. Jeffrey Bell

or

Dr. Robert Zubrin

What would the nickname be?

#32 2004-04-02 01:00:03

stratoghost

A Bell or a Zube? How much is that? 20 Z's, 10 Bells. Bells sound more like a nautical timekeeping thing. I like Z's, Zube's or even Zubrins. Sounds exotic.

I like the face of Mars idea as being the 1st face on the face of Mars currency. What backs it though? Gold, possibly. I guess we better go there and find out!

#33 2004-04-11 18:44:31

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#34 2004-04-28 12:50:10

JammerG55
Banned

You all realize that until we actualy start a large scale society a monitary system will be quite unnessairy(?) because the  to be honest the people on mars will be bartering because even though you may have all the gold in the world it wont really be worth that much. sad

The sky is the limit...unless you live in a cave big_smile

#35 2004-05-06 01:04:29

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

I'd be in favor of Loche, Einstein, Goddard, Oberth, Armstrong, Reagan, or Me (lol, or whoever the first man on mars actually happens to be in the event I don't make it /knock on wood/) big_smile

Board footer