New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-02-25 03:45:25

Rxke

Re: A huge, frozen sea lies just below the surface of

Considering Opportunity has traveled about 1.5 miles... I'd bet all my money on the answer :"too far away."

sad

#27 2005-02-25 06:41:19

Shaun Barrett

SpaceNut:-

How close is the nearest pack ice area relative to either rover?

Rik:-

Considering Opportunity has traveled about 1.5 miles... I'd bet all my money on the answer :"too far away."

Unfortunately, Spirit is about 1300 kms east-south-east of the nearest pack-ice.   sad

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#28 2005-02-26 05:10:09

No life on Mars
Banned

How corresponding esa finding of frosen sea with Nasa map of distribution H on mars?

#29 2005-03-07 01:41:50

deltron1

This sounds like a really good place to slam a projectile into.
It would take less than a year to get there and in the meantime we could reprogram MGS or another orbiter to photograph the event. Even Hubble could be used to whatever resolution it could provide.
Exciting,  cheap fast and very imformitive Heck , maybe even chase it with a slower camera probe to get a closeup movie of it! A spectrograh of the plume would tell the whole story .
I'd even donate a few bucks myself!:unclesam:
Deltron1 tongue

#30 2005-05-23 08:55:09

mars2015
Banned

Well, this discovery, coupled with the fact that radar equipment has detected Hydrogen at many locations below the Martian surface tells me that we might have more water on Mars than even the most optimistic of us thought.

#31 2005-05-23 10:36:18

BWhite

Well, this discovery, coupled with the fact that radar equipment has detected Hydrogen at many locations below the Martian surface tells me that we might have more water on Mars than even the most optimistic of us thought.

Mars has very large amounts of frozen water.

http://isdc2005.xisp.net/~kmiller/isdc_ … .net]Links here.

Donald Rapp says liquid water might be kilometers deep, however.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#32 2017-03-10 17:57:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

Shaun Barrett wrote:

Apparently a new subterranean mass of ice has been found - not too far from the 'Ice @ Elysium' which triggered this whole thread. smile
[See THIS SITE.]

The ice deposit is in Utopia Planitia, around 85 deg.E and roughly 45 deg.N
It's believed to be equal in volume to the water in Lake Superior - i.e. around 2,900 cubic miles.
That's a significant amount of H2O! B)

One of the things about it that makes it important from the point of view of future human missions is its depth.
Much of it is between 1m and 10m below the surface - buried under only a light coating of rock and dust.  smile     
This makes it very much available to human pioneers and settlers.

#33 2022-10-04 00:32:12

Mars_B4_Moon

Chinese rover finds signs of underground water-made structures on Mars
https://omaha.com/video_081f7df2-a935-5 … 7706b.html

Mars bunkers and subterranean?

Inside the billionaires' doomsday bunkers: Secret subterranean palaces with food for five years
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … years.html

This $7.5 Million Subterranean Villa in Greece Was Sculpted Into a Rocky Hillside
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/7-5-mil … 00151.html

Board footer