New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2004-01-06 19:55:33

jadeheart

Re: Which other planets can you see humans on? - Within our solar system at one point

I was reading somewhere recently that all 4 of the main Jovian moons pose moderate to severe radiation hazards to humans.  Io especially was shown to be exremely lethal.  I wish I could remember where I read this but my memory fails me, as did Google.  This article, whatever it was, provided hard numbers concerning dosage.  The upshot was that without some kind of extreme preventative measures people would not last long on any of these worlds.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#52 2004-01-08 18:29:24

atitarev

Re: Which other planets can you see humans on? - Within our solar system at one point

Jadeheart,
Ganymede and especially Callisto, are not so exposed to the Jupiter's radiation as Io and Europa are. (There were discussions about missions to the Jovian moons, Aetius has provided data on radiation levels on each Jovian moon). The further from Jupiter, the less dangerous it becomes. Landing on Callisto poses same radiation hazards as landing on Mars.

Quoting Aetius (Europa discussion)
Io...3600 rem per day
Europa...540 rem per day
Ganymede...8 rem per day
Callisto...0.01 rem per day

Callisto and Ganymede can definitely be colonized and I am sure it will happen some day but not in the near future. Our Moon has more gravity than any Jovian satellite except for Io but there is a lot of water ice on Europa, Ganymede and Callisto, which is so important for the human exploration and settlement.

Anatoli Titarev

Board footer