New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2002-12-06 11:42:36

clark

Re: Psychology - issues and concerns...

Educated middle class people do not appear overnight.

Perhaps a china that tries to achieve this objective, middle class people, in a methodical and practical way makes the most sense... something they seem to be doing.

It's interesting that you suggest that humanity can only improve under one culture, and that culture will be an American one, yet expect that at such time, we [americans] will give up our position and dominance. I'm not quite sure that american elites would do that.

My way of thinking is that Pax Americana is merely the world accepting America as the master. Perhaps more of the world would benefit, yet we would probably benefit the most.

All things being equal, we would still be more equal than others

#27 2002-12-06 13:35:06

Bill White

However, this will not change until/unless a unified world culture develops and right now "Pax Americana" is the best bet for accomplishing that objective. [/quote:post_uid0]

"best bet" was intended to mean "most likely" - not most moral or most desirable - I should have been more precise

wink

It's interesting that you suggest that humanity can only improve under one culture, and that culture will be an American one, yet expect that at such time, we [americans] will give up our position and dominance. I'm not quite sure that american elites would do that.

My way of thinking is that Pax Americana is merely the world accepting America as the master. Perhaps more of the world would benefit, yet we would probably benefit the most.

All things being equal, we would still be more equal than others[/quote:post_uid0]

For several years I have been thinking about the following proposition of moral philosophy:

"Genuine morality can only arise from the voluntary forebearance of the powerful" - -  Everything else is balance of power and game theory.

At times this seems self evident to me and at times it seems to be utter nonsense. I daresay, IMHO, that America is the nation most likely to follow this dictum, if compared with all nations existing throughout all recorded history, even if the odds of it so doing remain low.

Thus, *IF * Pax Americana becomes inevitable as a matter of geopolitical reality, *THEN * attempting to persuade ourselves to follow this course would seem the most moral course of action any one individual could follow. I fear that a destiny as predicted by George Orwell is quite plausible, but I hope it is not inescapable.

It's interesting that you suggest that humanity can only improve under one culture[/quote:post_uid0]

Improvement has occurred with a multiplicity of cultures/nations and will continue to do so. However, so long as the private benefit of one nation or group remains "in play" trade protections and the like will exist even if the whole of humanity is thereby lessened. My comments are intended to be read in the context of your earlier comment:

[i:post_uid0]And most countries protect their agricultural buisness- like many other parts of our economy, we MUST protect them.
Why? National security.
If a nation must rely on other nations to feed it's peoples, it is in a precarious position at best. It creates a situation whereby we must always produce something of value to our trading partner- food is one of those basic neccessities.[/i:post_uid0]

#28 2002-12-09 14:17:43

clark

"Genuine morality can only arise from the voluntary forebearance of the powerful" - -  Everything else is balance of power and game theory.

At times this seems self evident to me and at times it seems to be utter nonsense. I daresay, IMHO, that America is the nation most likely to follow this dictum, if compared with all nations existing throughout all recorded history, even if the odds of it so doing remain low.
[/quote:post_uid0]

Ah, the arrogance. I read a recent article (editorial) regarding a perspective on American arrogance.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp....ews

Why is it neccessarily America that will follow this path Bill? And I daresay that there may be a few other countries that exsist today that would do a better job.

#29 2021-01-03 21:18:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... the article at the link below is about the (to me remarkable) adaptation of people of Norway to the absence of the Sun during winter.

An American psychologist went to Norway to pursue her research into the problem experienced by some humans, of depression due to onset of winter.

To overly summarize her findings, it appears that people living further and further North have developed (?evolved?) a positive attitude that allows them to not only cope, but to thrive as the light fades.  The positive attitude is measurably greater the further North the psychologist visited.

A person moving to Mars will start at a significantly reduced level of Solar lighting to start with.

It seems to me that persons adapted to the absence of Solar illumination for extended periods of time might do well if given a chance to try Mars.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/drea … ket-newtab

Or, another way of looking at this study is that humans may naturally evolve a positive attitude toward life on Mars as a natural coping mechanism.

(th)

#30 2021-01-04 17:38:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just need to fix the shifting problem...

Board footer