New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-02-28 16:09:56

Bill White

Re: AOL poll - Mars in the media

Go to www.aol.com (at least on 2/28/02)

There is an instant poll on the home page at AOL and it looks to me that 75% - yes 75% - of people responding say we should spend taxpayer money to send humans to Mars.

Thoughts?

Bill White

#2 2002-02-28 17:53:43

Bill White

Alas, the poll seems to now be gone.

But I also got a broadcast email alert from the Zubrins confirming that I was right about what I saw.

#3 2002-02-28 18:01:34

Adrian
Website

I'm not surprised. Ask the average person on the street and they'd probably say that going to Mars would be 'cool', especially if you told them that the costs could be handled by NASA with only a modest increase in their budget.

Unfortunately, the amount of will and interest required to click a button on a poll does not translate into the sort of motivation required to show to politicians that the public really wants humans to Mars to happen. Hence I am always a bit wary of what online polls have to say (and this is aside from sampling issues and so on).

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#4 2002-03-01 18:22:20

Phobos

I also saw the poll and can vouch that 75% of the respondents supported a mission to Mars.  It was encouraging to see.  Someone should do an official, scientifically conducted poll of the public to see if the results are similiar.  Maybe all this pessimism we have of the masses opposing manned Mars missions might actually be unfounded. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#5 2002-03-02 18:29:08

rgcarnes
Banned

One thing stands out to me on the results of the AOL poll as I looked at them just now.  The fourth question, (which politician would you want to send to Mars?) has significantly fewer votes registered than the other three questions.

One, partly tongue in cheek, reason for this might be the legitimate concern that the professional politician life form might contaminate the red planet with dire consequences for legitimate science and truth for all time.

Rex G. Carnes

Rex G. Carnes

If the Meek Inherit the Earth, Where Do All the Bold Go?

#6 2002-03-03 16:22:09

Phobos

Yeah, I think we should leave the professional politicians on Earth. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#7 2002-04-16 18:52:34

RobHazlewood
Banned

I'm an Aussie, and I can assure you i'd happily pay alot of tax $$ to send some politicians to the sun. I'd happily send the prime minister there, in fact.  smile

#8 2002-04-17 11:34:48

GOM

the professional politician life form might contaminate the red planet with dire consequences for legitimate science and truth for all time.

Rex G. Carnes

I have already offered several times to take the trip to Mars.  Are you listening NASA???

P.S.  I am NOT a politician!   

:0

Board footer