New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-09-29 13:47:10

John Creighton
Website

Re: Using Europa To Terraform Mars - wacky science or real possibility?

I’m with Cindy on this. There is something about Europa. The idea of life existing so far away from the sun in an underwater world insulated from the cold and the radiation of Jupter. There is something beautiful about that, something that really demonstrates the resilience of life. It is a wonder of the solar system And I for one would like to see the day I could go scuba diving under her warm blanket of ice. I don’t know maybe I expect to see fish. If it is just microbes I’ll have to rethink my position. Of course if europa is destroyed it means there will be know underwater cities in the solar system with the exception of possibly earh.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#27 2004-09-29 13:52:02

clark

Europa, Europa, ice filled sea
Are little fishies swimming in thee?
Do the buggie little microbes crawl
Along your miles of icy walls?
Or perhaps some larger greater things
Deep within your endless ocean sings,
Like our whales and dolphins here on Earth?
Perhaps then your blubber has some worth.
I know not, care not, for what you may be
Or whatever may swim in your sea,
No fishie, buggie, or silly ice
Will stop mankind from their playing dice-
Europa, Europa, ice filled sea
One day soon we will come remake thee.

Oh don't take it so seriously.  tongue  big_smile

#28 2004-09-29 14:09:51

Palomar

There is something about Europa. The idea of life existing so far away from the sun in an underwater world insulated from the cold and the radiation of Jupter. There is something beautiful about that, something that really demonstrates the resilience of life. It is a wonder of the solar system And I for one would like to see the day I could go scuba diving under her warm blanket of ice.

*Yep.  smile  Nicely expressed.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  SpaceNut, thanks for posting those articles.  Nice reminder and perhaps others here haven't yet read them.  Some of them were posted previously http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1509]in the original Europa thread, if I recall correctly.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#29 2004-09-29 17:27:09

RobS
Banned
Website

Clarke, what a nice little poem! Thanks.

I think Europa is safe where mining it for Mars is concerned. There is water easier to reach than Europa's, deep inside Jupiter's gravity well.

I think Europa's safe where terraforming is concerned, also. It's too deep in Jupiter's radiation belts to be habitable. Heating it up would melt the ice crust and convert it into a huge open ocean, and why would we do that?

But I would worry whether we will poke the place in the wrong way and damage its ecology, if it has one.

-- RobS

#30 2004-09-30 05:06:30

Palomar

I think Europa's safe where terraforming is concerned, also. It's too deep in Jupiter's radiation belts to be habitable.

*Yes, I pointed out the issue of Jupiter's radiation belts in my first response in this thread. 

The thread was begun regarding the mining (robotic) of Europa for Mars' benefit, not terraforming Europa itself.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#31 2004-10-04 10:31:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is also a thought for the exploration after sending robotic missions.

How about sending a nuclear submarine and a dome shaped floating habitat once man could go.

On a side note I started a thread on the Earths ocean why have we not colonized them.

I think the two water worlds have much in common in the way that we must go about exploration of each.

#32 2017-02-11 23:15:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Giving this a bump as well to find for later repairs

#33 2022-09-24 16:14:52

Mars_B4_Moon

Juno spacecraft to go screaming by Jupiter’s moon Europa in close approach

https://www.digitaltrends.com/space/jun … -approach/

Board footer