New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#76 2005-08-29 11:02:48

Palomar

Re: MOC Continued

East Candor's Rocks

*Lots of details, ridges, etc.

Rocks such as these have been known to occur in the Valles Marineris since the 1971-1972 Mariner 9 mission. Whether they formed in rock that was exposed by the opening (by faulting) of the Candor Chasma trough, or formed in the trough after it was formed, is a matter of on-going debate and discussion within the Mars science community.

-*-

Layered Slope

Looks like wood grain again.  Frost covered.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#77 2005-09-03 21:24:49

Palomar

Defrosting Sand

*Obtained in June, at beginning of dethaw.  It looks like...not sure (lace?)...but it's pretty.  wink  Interesting (weird) how the upper portion seems rigidly contained within a distinct border of dethawing.  :?

-*-

What the heck?

Polygons and craters, south polar region.  Craters thought to be "degraded meteor impact" craters.

Polygons similar to these occur in frozen ground at high latitudes on Earth, suggesting that perhaps their presence on Mars is also a sign that there is or once was ice in the shallow subsurface.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#78 2005-09-07 08:28:26

REB
Banned
Website

What the heck?

Polygons and craters, south polar region.  Craters thought to be "degraded meteor impact" craters.

Polygons similar to these occur in frozen ground at high latitudes on Earth, suggesting that perhaps their presence on Mars is also a sign that there is or once was ice in the shallow subsurface.

--Cindy

Looks like those old WWII photos of a bombed European City.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#79 2005-09-07 13:36:31

Palomar

Tharsis Limb Cloud

*This photo obtained July 6.  It's an isolated water ice cloud hanging aprox 18+ miles above Mars's surface.  Cool.  smile

--Cindy

#80 2005-09-07 19:50:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now the next question is does it ever get warm enough to rain or was it possible in the past?

#81 2005-09-13 05:37:57

Palomar

Devil caught in the act

*All those streaks.  Near crater Mendel.  The dust devil looks like a cute "little" puff from this height, LOL.

--Cindy

#82 2005-09-17 05:50:51

Palomar

Click

*Mega-ripples on a valley floor, created by winds blowing up and down the valley, in the Hyblaeus Fossae region. 

--Cindy

#83 2005-09-20 20:14:28

Palomar

Brand new Martian gullies

Mars is a more dramatically changing place than scientists had ever imagined. Thanks to its long lifetime, the Mars Global Surveyor has spotted a gully coming down the side of a sand dune that didn't exist just three years ago.

MGS's health is proclaimed as being "still very healthy" and they're anticipating 5, maybe even 10, more years of service/observations.  big_smile

--Cindy

::EDIT:: 

And for three Mars summers in a row, deposits of frozen carbon dioxide near Mars' south pole have shrunk from the previous year's size, suggesting a climate change in progress.

"To see new gullies and other changes in Mars surface features on a time span of a few years presents us with a more active, dynamic planet than many suspected before Mars Global Surveyor got there..."

#84 2005-09-23 12:43:55

Palomar

South Polar Details

*Springtime. 

Much of the south polar region of Mars is covered by a thick unit of layered material. For decades, the layers have been assumed to consist of a mixture of dust and ice, but it is equally possible that the materials are sedimentary rocks.

Also mentions CO2 frost.

-*-

On the Plains of Argyre

Dust devil streaks -and- an active dust devil.  Pic taken July 2005.   

--Cindy

#85 2005-09-26 15:37:23

Palomar

Loire dust devil

*An interesting factoid:

Unlike some martian dust devils, this one did not make a dark streak on the ground.  Many more dust devils occur on Mars than there are dust devil streaks observed on the planet's surface.

So why do some...and others don't?

-*-

Pits on Ascraeus

Erm...strange.  Very strange looking indeed.

-*-

High Latitude Polygons

If you added 4 "legs" to the center-most one, it'd look like a turtle.  tongue

--Cindy

#86 2005-10-10 10:12:36

Palomar

Dunes in Brashear

*They look like the Hershey's Kisses type of dune, but with "grooves."  Rather sharp-looking grooves.  Weird/cool.  They're speculating the sand may be "somewhat cemented."

-*-

South polar scene

Degraded impact craters.  As for the dark and irregular features within each:

are the remnants of a layer of material that probably once covered the entire scene, before being eroded away

-*-

Overlapping lava flows

--Cindy

#87 2005-10-17 06:46:53

Palomar

*Cool new pics rolling in:

Dike near Auqakuh

Interesting info in the caption about dike formation and magma's role in it.  Mentions Shiprock in the U.S., by comparison.  I've never seen Shiprock, but it's one of New Mexico's most famous landmarks.

-*-

Filled/Eroded Craters

From the northern Arabia Terra region.  This photo has another potential:  Get some Day-Glo and turn it into a groovy '60s-style print.  tongue

-*-

Defrosting Patterns

Can we say "Rorschach"?  Martian southern polar region. 

-*-

Cerberus Flood Features

Looks like a desert arroyo after torrential rain waters have swept through; exactly like that.

--Cindy

#88 2005-10-19 01:26:50

Julius Caeser

MOC images have been indicating that global warming is ongoing even on the Red Planet.Scientists blame Earth's global warming to human pollution.Why should Mars be warming up even  in the absence of any human activity?   Same processes occurring at the same time on both planets would seem to point towards a solar origin for the warming!!Anyone has any ideas regarding this subject? 8)  :?

#89 2005-10-25 06:39:21

REB
Banned
Website

http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/r22_s04 … 00120.html

I think I found the Mars bob-sledding team. smile

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#90 2005-10-25 11:23:37

REB
Banned
Website

#91 2005-11-07 08:00:24

Palomar

*Russell Dune Gullies:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=18596

Includes dust devil streaks.  Says gullies on dunes usually only occur in the Noachis Terra region.  Is all within Russell Crater. 

--Cindy

#92 2005-11-09 10:46:43

Palomar

South Polar Scene

*Would like to have a framed copy of that.   8) 

--Cindy

#93 2005-11-09 12:20:26

Julius Caeser

It seems that defrosting is following some pattern;may be indicating variations in the ground under the frost!!?? roll

#94 2005-11-14 15:54:51

Palomar

It seems that defrosting is following some pattern;may be indicating variations in the ground under the frost!!?? roll

*I'd prefer it be frosting.  Preferably cream-cheese flavored, or 7 Minute Frosting.   tongue  Teehee.

White Rock:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=18675

Bizarre.

--Cindy

#95 2005-11-18 06:26:57

Palomar

Dust-covered flows

*Near Ascraeus Mons.

-*-

Yardang it

Southern Amazonis Planitia region.

--Cindy

#96 2005-11-19 04:20:03

Julius Caeser

I believe winter is coming where Cindy is ;Frosting or defrosting.depends where you arein the world!Where I am ,we hardly have any frost in winters!

Anyways nice pics!! lol

#97 2005-12-02 12:56:01

Palomar

I believe winter is coming where Cindy is ;Frosting or defrosting.depends where you arein the world!Where I am ,we hardly have any frost in winters!

*I wish it were.  neutral  wink  We're still running balmy 70-degree weather and lots of sunshine.

Skid marks at Lycus Sulci

Weird marks there.  A lot of contrasts in 1 photo.  And the marks don't look wet to me; on the contrary, they look dry. 

--Cindy

#98 2006-01-07 08:55:35

Palomar

Labyrinthus Landslides

*Might as well place this here.  Is a thermal emission image.

Dark streaks can be seen along the edges of the Labyrinth of Night and are likely due to debris – such as boulders, rocks or even gravel, sand or dust – sliding down the canyon walls.

--Cindy

#99 2006-02-07 06:18:55

Palomar

Shadow of Phobos

*...and water ice clouds over Arsia Mons.

--Cindy

#100 2006-02-08 07:23:23

REB
Banned
Website

Shadow of Phobos

*...and water ice clouds over Arsia Mons.

--Cindy

Cool Picture!

Board footer