New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#176 2005-01-13 06:58:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Opportunity & Spirit **8** - ...More...

Well the bunny is out of the bag, or at least we now know who put the energizer in the rovers. They are Lithium Ion Batteries.

Pawcatuck Batteries Keep Mars Mission Roving

#177 2005-01-13 08:13:14

REB
Banned
Website

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ … L]Possible Meteorite?

Meridiani will be a good place to spot meteorites and rocks not native to the region (Thrown there by impactors from other areas of Mars). The rocks native to the region seem to weather down to the ‘blueberries’ in a short periods of time. I would suspect any rock sitting out in the open like this one will be a meteorite or a rock not native to the area.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#178 2005-01-13 09:15:55

Palomar

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-mer … tml]Spirit keeps trying!

*...though apparently it's having trouble with slippage to the point of essentially being stuck in the same spot for 30 Sols.  sad  Sloped and sandy ground is the culprit. 

There's also the issue of increased opacity of the sky because of dust disturbances.  Despite that, they say Spirit has enough energy to continue normal operations. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#179 2005-01-13 10:16:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think that if they were to not go straight to the hill top but were to zig zag there way up, that it might do better.

#180 2005-01-13 14:06:24

Palomar

I think that if they were to not go straight to the hill top but were to zig zag there way up, that it might do better.

*I've not seen a highly detailed map -- just the ones posted previously which shows a *general* outlined route Spirit will take -- but yeah, I wonder if they're trying to zigzag or go in as near-to a straight line, or what.

Spirit stuck in the same place for nearly a month...not good.  sad  Like everyone else, I sure want to see the overlook from Husband Hill.

::sigh:: 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#181 2005-01-13 14:38:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

I saw this in some thread today about Opportunity Spots Curious Object On Mars

NASA’s Opportunity Mars rover has come across an interesting object -- perhaps a meteorite sitting out in the open at Meridiani Planum. Initial data taken by the robot’s Mini-Thermal Emission Spectrometer (Mini-TES) is suggestive that the odd-looking “rock” is made of metal.

Sort of was my first impression as well when I saw the photo earlier today. Would sure love to have sample return capability right now with these rovers.

#182 2005-01-13 15:00:19

Stu
Website

I think it's a meteorite too. I collect them - small specimens, the bigger ones cost a fortune! - and the Meridiani object looks VERY familiar. Some iron meteorite piccies for ya…

http://buhlplanetarium3.tripod.com/CSC- … eorite.JPG ( part of "Canyon Diablo" meteorite that made “Meteor Crater” in Arizona, 50,000 years ago… )

http://obswww.unige.ch/~bartho/EAAE/L2/ … _fig17.gif ( Recovery of the famous “Willamette” meteorite… )

http://www.lvaas.org/gallery/2001/bus-t … eorite.jpg ( Current location of the Willamette meteorite – the foyer of the Hayden Planetarium.)

That's why the more I look at that object on Meridiani the more I’m convinced it’s a meteorite. It’s got all the features of a meteorite, is the right shape, has the characteristic "thumbprint" regmaglypt features, and if Steve S says it’s made of metal - as many meteorites are, being fragments of asteroids - then that’s promising, right..?

Actually, I'm sat here packing a few of my (small!) meteorites up for a talk I'm giving in a school tomorrow, including a piece of Canyon Diablo which must have been held by several thousand pairs of schoolkid hands by now. That object on Mars isn't that big, so wouldn't have made much of a crater,especially as it landed on hard ground anyway. I mean, look how pathetic - sorry, disappointing! - the "crater" left by Oppy's heatshield was...

I know, I know, crazy idea, but... well... we find meteorites from Mars here on Earth, so what would be the odds of Oppy finding a piece of Earth there on Meridiani?

As the song said, “the chances of anything coming from Mars… are a million to one…”

True. But still they come…  :;):

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#183 2005-01-15 10:43:20

Palomar

*Terrific...Spirit on the move again.  Just read the update from the NASA/JPL home page:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/ … tml]Update for Sols 360 - 366

Currently Spirit is approximately 50 meters (164 feet) from a target called "Larry's Lookout" on a ridge line in the "Columbia Hills." During the period from sol 360 through sol 366, engineers focused on maximizing the amount of time Spirit could drive every sol with limited power. The driving is slow and difficult; Spirit is encountering many rock obstacles and patches of soft sand that are causing Spirit to either slip or dig in.  Just when it looked like Spirit might not be able to reach Larry's Lookout, the rover had three successful drive sols.  Spirit is in excellent health as the team looks forward to celebrating the anniversary of Opportunity's landing on Jan. 24.

--Cindy

#184 2005-01-17 07:47:30

Palomar

I saw this in some thread today about http://space.com/missionlaunches/mars_o … pportunity Spots Curious Object On Mars

NASA’s Opportunity Mars rover has come across an interesting object -- perhaps a meteorite sitting out in the open at Meridiani Planum. Initial data taken by the robot’s Mini-Thermal Emission Spectrometer (Mini-TES) is suggestive that the odd-looking “rock” is made of metal.

Sort of was my first impression as well when I saw the photo earlier today. Would sure love to have sample return capability right now with these rovers.

*They're calling it Heat]http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-mers-05f.html]"Heat Shield Rock."  Yep, has a definite metallic "look" to it. 

Lots of speculation.  My bet would be local impact origin (not the other sources they're speculating about).  ::shrugs::

Definitely is pitted. 

--Cindy

#185 2005-01-17 20:17:40

Shaun Barrett

Interesting.
    I'm looking forward to the analysis.
    It looks less weathered than the iron meteorites Stu kindly linked for us, which I assume is due to the dearth of oxygen and moisture in the Martian air. Nevertheless, there must be at least some weathering going on, so perhaps that will give NASA a clue as to the rock's age.
    Or maybe it's nearly pure nickel.   ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#186 2005-01-18 04:45:49

GraemeSkinner
Website

I saw this in some thread today about http://space.com/missionlaunches/mars_o … pportunity Spots Curious Object On Mars

*They're calling it Heat]http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-mers-05f.html]"Heat Shield Rock."  Yep, has a definite metallic "look" to it. 
Lots of speculation.  My bet would be local impact origin (not the other sources they're speculating about).  ::shrugs::
Definitely is pitted.

Looking at the ground surrounding the rock I'd suggest that the rock was still hot when it came to rest - darkening to the surrounding area. Wild speculation of course  big_smile

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#187 2005-01-18 05:42:35

cassioli

#188 2005-01-18 20:47:00

Palomar

*Hi Cassioli -- nice to have you with us again.

http://www.space.com/bestimg/index.php?rover]Vote:  Best of the MER Images

Is being hosted by space.com.

--Cindy

#189 2005-01-19 02:23:13

cassioli

*Hi Cassioli -- nice to have you with us again.

Thanks. All those dry sand & rocks eventually bored me... :;):
But, time by time I come back to some Mars forum or sites, and  I found that cool image!

It's really incredible how long rovers were able to live. As they successfully passed the winter, it looks like they are virtually able to... live forever! (at least, if their wheels are no more used to dig in martian sand).
It's very cool.

4 km driven.
thousands of MB of data.
journey up to an extraterrestrial hill! Only a mission with a moving rover could accomplish such a task!  :band:

But, it's a pity Spirit was not sent to explore the so called "Utreya abyss": somebody tells it could be a cave. Do anybody know what NASA thinks about it?

#190 2005-01-20 10:55:33

Palomar

http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/imag … html]Rover Trash Kicks Up Dust

*Image of the Day at space.com.

Cassioli:  But, it's a pity Spirit was not sent to explore the so called "Utreya abyss": somebody tells it could be a cave. Do anybody know what NASA thinks about it?

*When it comes to NASA, who knows?  Probably they're denying it.   tongue  :;):  :laugh:

--Cindy

#191 2005-01-20 12:46:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now do the rovers have another year of problem free use or must it go into hibernation for the winter since it has seen its shadow... big_smile

In addition to the wheels the next item will be the battery that will slowly not hold a full charge capacity for use as it builds up cell membrane barriers internally, from the dimmer days it has recieved in the collection of solar energy by those slightly dusty panels.

#192 2005-01-20 15:01:29

Palomar

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … tions]Heat Shield Rock a treasure!

*An update.  It's approximately the size of a basketball, made mostly of nickel and iron, first meteorite ever found on another planet (we knew that, right?). 

Lots of questions (no surprise).

--Cindy

#193 2005-01-21 02:08:45

GraemeSkinner
Website

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … tions]Heat Shield Rock a treasure!
*An update.  It's approximately the size of a basketball, made mostly of nickel and iron, first meteorite ever found on another planet (we knew that, right?). 
Lots of questions (no surprise).

I think the quote from that article...

So what fraction of the rocks on the plains are meteorites? We haven't really thought much about meteorites until now, but this discovery has really opened our eyes to the question. As we work to answer it, we may learn quite a bit about the long-term history of the plains, Squyres said.

........ is a bad omen, we now really need Oppy to carry on a while longer and see if the meteorite is a one off or not, so whats the chances as its year on Mars comes ever closer that it will stop working? Fingers crossed time again - it's starting to hurt now though!

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#194 2005-01-22 02:38:36

Shaun Barrett

Thanks, Cindy, for that "Rover Trash Kicks Up Dust" photo.
    As you well know, I disputed how much dust had accumulated on Spirit's deck. Well this photo again appears to show a relatively dust-free surface, until you look at the area where the 'bread-bag tie' has been sliding around in that recess.
    This is just the kind of evidence I've been looking for to satisfy myself as to the amount of dust Spirit has gathered. I'm now quite satisfied that Doug was right and I was wrong.
    I stand corrected.

Doug! Are you listening? I wish to concede final defeat in our debate.
    I admitted, towards the end of it, that my position had become precarious for several reasons I listed at the time. However, I still hadn't been able to convince myself entirely that your (and NASA's) argument was correct .. until now! You win, fair and square.
                                                smile

Cassioli:-

But, it's a pity Spirit was not sent to explore the so called "Utreya abyss": somebody tells it could be a cave. Do anybody know what NASA thinks about it?

Thanks for reminding us about that intriguing cave (if it is actually a cave).   :up:   smile
    I'd forgotten all about it.
    Just to refresh my own memory, I went back through the old posts about the Columbia Hills and retrieved this picture:-

x_pubeng_3DColumbiaHillsSouth-A136R1.jpg

[Oops! It's come out a bit bigger than I anticipated .. sorry!]
    Where's Spirit now? I've lost track.
    Couldn't we still get a look into that 'black hole'?   ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#195 2005-01-22 07:56:07

Palomar

Where's Spirit now? I've lost track.

*Unfortunately the news on Spirit hasn't changed since my Jan. 15 post:

Currently Spirit is approximately 50 meters (164 feet) from a target called "Larry's Lookout" on a ridge line in the "Columbia Hills." During the period from sol 360 through sol 366, engineers focused on maximizing the amount of time Spirit could drive every sol with limited power. The driving is slow and difficult; Spirit is encountering many rock obstacles and patches of soft sand that are causing Spirit to either slip or dig in.  Just when it looked like Spirit might not be able to reach Larry's Lookout, the rover had three successful drive sols.  Spirit is in excellent health as the team looks forward to celebrating the anniversary of Opportunity's landing on Jan. 24.

Just checked NASA/JPL homepage -- the entry for Spirit is the same, with no update. 

--Cindy

P.S.:  I'm currently going over the old 3D images of Mars from both Rovers with a pair of 3D glasses a friend sent me the other day.  Fan-tastic.  I could step right through the monitor and be there.  smile  :::crunch:::  What's that?  Mars gravel beneath my boots.  :up:

#196 2005-01-22 17:38:58

Shaun Barrett

Hmm.
    I wonder where 'Larry's Lookout' is, relative to 'Lookout Point'?

Right now, I'm just praying Spirit hangs together long enough to maybe take a peek into that "cave" and check out the areas labelled 'possible layered outcrops' and 'Home Plate'.
    I suppose it's likely NASA wouldn't even consider steering Spirit toward that big shadowy-looking area until at least late in the southern spring, when the Sun's angle should be more favourable for viewing - not to mention for solar power purposes, of course.
                                                                      ???   smile

Cindy, Quote: "P.S.:  I'm currently going over the old 3D images of Mars from both Rovers with a pair of 3D glasses a friend sent me the other day.  Fan-tastic."
    Yep, those 3D pics are certainly worth "oohing-and-aahing" about.  smile

#197 2005-01-22 17:50:52

Palomar

Shaun:  Hmm.
   I wonder where 'Larry's Lookout' is, relative to 'Lookout Point'?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ … g]Proposed Lookout Point

*Includes trail of Spirit's journey up to Sol 354.  Guess she's going to stop at "Larry's Lookout" and I am so anticipating our first glimpse into Tennessee Valley. 

The path of NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit through the rover's 354th martian day, or sol (Dec. 31, 2004), plus some future travel options, are indicated on this map of the "Husband Hill" region of the "Columbia Hills" within Mars' Gusev Crater. The rover team plans to send Spirit to a vantage point dubbed "Larry's Lookout" for views to help in deciding whether to dip into "Tennessee Valley."

The base image for the map was taken by the Mars Orbiter Camera aboard NASA's Mars Global Surveyor.

Will Spirit, won't Spirit (take a dip into Tennessee Valley)?  cool  Staying tuned...

--Cindy

P.S.:  I wonder how long it'll take Spirit to get from her current point to "Larry's Lookout."  ?

*Hopefully the above will give an indication (it's not a highly detailed map though).

--Cindy

#198 2005-01-23 04:09:47

Shaun Barrett

Yes thanks, Cindy! Much clearer.   smile
    I realise now that, when Spirit got to West Spur, it made a left up the ridge toward Larry's Lookout, instead of a right, as originally planned, toward Lookout Point. Among other considerations, I assume the angle of the incident sunlight was a factor in that decision.

In the event Tennessee Valley presents nothing promising, as seen from Larry's Lookout, I suppose it's asking too much to expect Spirit to make its way down Cumberland Ridge, via Lookout Point, and into the Columbia Hills inner basin?   ???
    At least it's downhill all the way, with the southward-bound midday Sun at an advantageous angle, and it would give us a look at that 'cave' and the layered outcrops.   cool

[Not that I've got anything against Tennessee Valley, of course!  smile ]

#199 2005-01-24 17:47:01

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.htm … Peek-a-boo, we see you

*First and only pic (MOC) of tracks made by Oppy (and...)

The rover itself can be seen in this image-- an amazing accomplishment, considering that the MGS spacecraft was nearly 400 kilometers (nearly 250 miles) away at the time!

They also point out backshell and parachute, lander at Eagle Crater, landing rocket blast effects, etc.

Would have put this in REB's thread, but I have a question as well:

Now that Oppy's spending time examining its heat shield and that meteorite, I wonder if they're -still- considering undertaking the proposed trek to Victoria Crater?  Didn't Dr. Squyers indicate going to VC might be out of the question a few months ago (before the meteorite was found)?  Time's a-ticking...

--Cindy

::EDIT::  Update on Spirit:  Has driven about 66 feet closer to the top of "Cumberland Ridge" and is examining a rock named "Peace."  Is healthy, but there's been reduced sunlight due to a (possible) dust storm.

#200 2005-01-24 18:16:30

Shaun Barrett

Cindy:-

Now that Oppy's spending time examining its heat shield and that meteorite, I wonder if they're -still- considering undertaking the proposed trek to Victoria Crater?  Didn't Dr. Squyers indicate going to VC might be out of the question a few months ago (before the meteorite was found)?  Time's a-ticking...

I think the answer would have to be 'yes' to VC. Oppy is in good health and doesn't seem to have anywhere else of major interest to go.
    Might as well get her to lift her skirts, put her in top gear, and hit the trail!   smile

Board footer