New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#126 2004-08-31 06:28:09

Cobra Commander

Re: Favorite Sci-Fi Movie? - Blade Runner for me. . .

*What? 

Are we talking about the same "Star Wars"?

:laugh:

See, exactly what I was talking about. You're buying into the rebel line!

Darth Vader was the terrorist.  The Rebel Alliance was the reaction -- trying to survive, retain their freedoms and independence, etc.

I thought they were fighting to restore the Republic, a government who's adherents admitted was corrupt and didn't function. All those rebs, too young to remember what the Republic was, waging a guerrilla war under the direction of ex-Senators and planetary royalty who just happened to have lost the most under the Empire.  roll Stuck it to those elitist Jedi, anyway...

:laugh: Good stuff, I want to see that other version of it now.

Unless, of course, one considers persons involved in the pockets of resistance against Adolph Hitler as having been "the terrorists."

Well, it depends on their tactics. Depends on who they target. Lots of grey.

So how many private contractors died in the Second Death Star? Regular joes, blue collar family guys. I assume the rebels attacked shipping lanes and targets of that sort as well... interesting implications.

Anyone remember that scene in the special edition Return of the Jedi, at the end during the celebration when the crowd picked up that stormtrooper and were carrying him toward a balcony. I just kept thinking here's this guy, conscripted when he was just a kid, probably kept re-upping because it was his only chance to make something of his life, finally gets the cushy Coruscant post, near retirement... and some mob of vandals throws him off a balcony.  :laugh:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#127 2004-08-31 06:41:51

Palomar

I thought they were fighting to restore the Republic, a government who's adherents admitted was corrupt and didn't function. All those rebs, too young to remember what the Republic was, waging a guerrilla war under the direction of ex-Senators and planetary royalty who just happened to have lost the most under the Empire.  roll Stuck it to those elitist Jedi, anyway...

*Lesser of two evils.  Besides, maybe out of the Rebel Alliance would have come a better entity than the old Republic.  (Sorry, can't help being optimistic)...

Anyone remember that scene in the special edition Return of the Jedi, at the end during the celebration when the crowd picked up that stormtrooper and were carrying him toward a balcony. I just kept thinking here's this guy, conscripted when he was just a kid, probably kept re-upping because it was his only chance to make something of his life, finally gets the cushy Coruscant post, near retirement... and some mob of vandals throws him off a balcony

*Haven't seen the "Special Edition" versions.  Yeah...never mind all the innocent civilians the stormtrooper slaughtered in his slavish obedience to Darth; what about THEIR lives?  And maybe he joined as an adult. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#128 2004-08-31 11:00:52

Cobra Commander

Cindy, sounds like you're falling for some media bias.  big_smile

Off to the Imperial Peace Rally!  :laugh:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#129 2004-08-31 12:40:13

Palomar

Off to the Imperial Peace Rally!  :laugh:

*Imperialist Peace Rally, huh?  Is that before or after you blow up another entire planet brimming with life ala your Death Star?

Better have your light-saber handy, baby.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#130 2004-08-31 12:46:16

Cobra Commander

*Imperialist Peace Rally, huh?  Is that before or after you blow up another entire planet brimming with life ala your Death Star?

It was a terrorist staging area and they had a big bag of mustard gas.  big_smile

#131 2004-08-31 14:18:23

Palomar

It was a terrorist staging area and they had a big bag of mustard gas.  big_smile

princess.leia.lg.jpg

"The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

#132 2004-08-31 14:29:36

Cobra Commander

Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.  big_smile

#133 2004-08-31 14:42:25

REB
Banned
Website

Mad Grad, I also love Tremors. Reba and Michael Gross(Burt). Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward. They made that movie great. It is a fun movie.

For some reason when I see Burt I piture Cobra  smile

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#134 2004-08-31 21:44:19

BWhite

David Brin (sci-fi writer) has written some great stuff about Star Wars and Star Trek. http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature … n/]Example

Why is George Lucas peddling an elitist, anti-democratic agenda under the guise of escapist fun?

Also, Lord of the Rings. I mean imagine the pain of all those poor Orc orphans!  :;):

http://www.davidbrin.com/starwarsarticle1.html]More linkmania! Read 'em all!

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2002/1 … _brin/]JRR Tolkien, Enemy of Progress

Were any orcs or "dark men" offered coalition positions in King Aragorn's cabinet, at the end of the War of the Ring? Was Mordor given a benign Marshall Plan?

I think not.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#135 2004-09-01 05:05:24

Cobra Commander

David Brin (sci-fi writer) has written some great stuff about Star Wars and Star Trek. Example

:laugh: Good stuff!

Though he seems a bit more enamored of democracy than I.  :;):

EDIT: Since he mentions "Bored of the Rings" I must say I read that a few years back, crude at times but some funny stuff. Good mindless laughs while still looking like you're working.

#136 2004-09-01 05:24:37

Palomar

Were any orcs or "dark men" offered coalition positions in King Aragorn's cabinet, at the end of the War of the Ring? Was Mordor given a benign Marshall Plan?

I think not.

*Lord of the Rings was written decades ago, in a culture where whites were predominant.  Perhaps the book reflects that (I haven't read "LotR").   roll

Not fair to judge yesterday's books and literature by today's standards (especially when it comes to "political correctness"). 

--Cindy

#137 2004-09-03 14:30:29

Mad Grad Student
Website

Well, I knew I'd get a lot of opposition on the Star Wars subject coming in, I suppose. Had I seen it at the time it came out it probably would be awe-inspiring because it was really the first movie of its kind, but today there's little (Or at least much less) that stands out about it. Unfortunately, Star Wars just hasn't aged well.

I'm not even going to go into Lord of the Rings, I have as much interest in seeing those movies as I have in seeing the entire Mary-Kate/Ashley franchise. I saw about the first hour of the first movie and was falling asleep. Elves, orcs, faries, blah, what is so great about the series? Again, LOTR set the precedent for fantasy (A genre I absolutely loathe) but since then everyone has been copying it, spoiling most of what makes it special. Even if there was something that really set it apart from everything else I wouldn't be interested, I just do not enjoy fantasy. I could go into more detail, but then we'd really have a flame war going.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Galaxy Quest or Spaceballs yet. They're probably the funniest "sci-fi" movies ever made and Galaxy Quest really has a lot of good comentary on sci-fi in general. Spaceballs is hilarious the first time you see it, but alas, like many Mel Brooks movies, the humor ages ridiculously quickly. The second time around I chuckled a little, but it's just not that funny after the first time.

Cobra, can you post a link to any info on this moive you're making? Or, if there's none availible, can you describe what it's about? It sure sounds interesting, whatever it is.

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#138 2004-09-03 15:10:10

Palomar

I'm not even going to go into Lord of the Rings, I have as much interest in seeing those movies as I have in seeing the entire Mary-Kate/Ashley franchise. I saw about the first hour of the first movie and was falling asleep. Elves, orcs, faries, blah, what is so great about the series? Again, LOTR set the precedent for fantasy (A genre I absolutely loathe) but since then everyone has been copying it, spoiling most of what makes it special.

*Well for me it was Orlando Bloom as Legalos.  For my husband it was Liv Tyler.  :laugh:

Seriously...fantasy isn't one of my favorite genres either.  I rarely read/view it.  Too outlandish and absurd half the time.

Lord of the Rings was an exception, although I have yet to see the 3rd installment (on DVD now, of course; I think it's finally off the big screen in my area).

The Elves, though, were portrayed as such a beautiful race of beings (in this latest installment at least; I've only seen a bit of a previous film release of the story, long ago).  Their dwellings, architecture, clothing -- lovely beyond words.  I could live in Rivendale (spelling?), trust me.  smile 

--Cindy

#139 2004-09-03 15:24:49

Cobra Commander

Actually I must admit to generally despising the fantasy genre as well, but I liked the LOTR movies.

But I can see why somebody wouldn't.

Cobra, can you post a link to any info on this moive you're making? Or, if there's none availible, can you describe what it's about? It sure sounds interesting, whatever it is.

We'll have a site up one of these days, I'll post a link then. Gotta get through the pre-production stage.

EDIT:: removed any hint of description. Less hassle that way.

#140 2004-09-03 15:27:19

Cobra Commander

The Elves, though, were portrayed as such a beautiful race of beings (in this latest installment at least; I've only seen a bit of a previous film release of the story, long ago).  Their dwellings, architecture, clothing -- lovely beyond words.  I could live in Rivendale (spelling?), trust me.

Here we go again...  :laugh:

The Elves!, the whole bloody mess was their fault!  big_smile

#141 2004-09-03 19:06:43

Palomar

The Elves, though, were portrayed as such a beautiful race of beings (in this latest installment at least; I've only seen a bit of a previous film release of the story, long ago).  Their dwellings, architecture, clothing -- lovely beyond words.  I could live in Rivendale (spelling?), trust me.

Here we go again...  :laugh:

The Elves!, the whole bloody mess was their fault!  big_smile

sad  sad  sad

*Actually, it's the 3rd time this has happened.  I'm starting to get a complex.    :-\

I would ask why it's the Elves' fault (supposedly)...not sure I want to (haven't seen the entire trilogy/haven't read the book)! 

--Cindy

#142 2004-09-03 20:31:53

Mad Grad Student
Website

I think Cobra was kidding.

#143 2004-09-03 22:23:42

Mad Grad Student
Website

Forgive me if I'm starting to beat a dead horse here, but Yay! Firefly lives! Well, sort of.

I finally got around to googling it and found out that a Firefly movie is now under production. THAT will be interesting, I'm just hoping that the continuity of the show won't be comprimised transfering to the big screen.

Here's a movie poster concept I found lying around.
http://www.fireflyfans.net/sunroomitem. … 0]Serenity Movie Poster

#144 2004-09-03 22:29:32

BWhite

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Galaxy Quest or Spaceballs yet. They're probably the funniest "sci-fi" movies ever made and Galaxy Quest really has a lot of good comentary on sci-fi in general. Spaceballs is hilarious the first time you see it, but alas, like many Mel Brooks movies, the humor ages ridiculously quickly.

Excuse me, but there is this red thingee moving towards the green thingee and I think we are the green thingee. . .

or

EEEE-UUUU, thats just not right

Unlike Spaceballs, GalaxyQuest remains funny after numerous viewings. At least IMHO

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#145 2004-12-26 12:18:47

falkor

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/x2.html]x2-3.jpg

Just saw X MEN 2 on sky movies last night - WOW what a great adventure

I saw X MEN - the first movie, a few months back, what a great great film, but this is unusual, a sequel that actually cuts the mustard, it's GREAT!!

I just love the coooool craft that the X MEN zoom skywards in too, the part where they are pulled over by military jets is awesome, well they don't get pulled over but that's the point anyway

superb craft, really good and well detailed - that was a great feature for me, also the whole film is ..... W I C K E D

#146 2004-12-27 04:28:08

Yang Liwei Rocket

I'm going to have to watch it again ....

Every artists dream. 

Not to mention the bank rollers.  :laugh:

I hear Xmen was very good based on an old American comic book. Yes indeed there are many cool science fiction or Space movies, Starship troopers, Le Voyage dans la Lune, Outland with Sean Connery,The Dish, Capricorne one, Star Trek films, Total-Recall, Dune directed by David Lynch , Alien-I & Aliens with Sigourney Weaver, Tarkowsky's Solaris, Redplanet, Apollo 13.....

If you like Asian film then keep an eye out for '2046' this  Wong Kar-wai movie is complex and is said to be somewhat mysterious

Also I predict one film that will surprise everyone and do very well in the box office is the Firefly movie Serenity, its a space movie but its a Western, it has big great spaceships and Cowboys in space

It sounds silly and kind of an impossible genre to mix - John Wayne and Sigourney Weaver people in the same film ?? but this is a great show

firefly2.jpg

firefly.jpg

:up:

20040304125940806_1.jpg

xs21_feat01.jpg

The Conservative Foxpeople at Channel Foxx tried to cancel the show, but it looks like it will be coming back as a Movie in some months time if all goes well

:band:

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#147 2004-12-29 15:07:51

dicktice

My favorite, in the "time travel" genre was "Frequency." Quite ingenious, and while violent the plot justified it. Regarding "space operas" as we used to call them, until they adopt weightlessness, which now can be shown seamlessly, I'll remain unhappy no matter how good the plot. With so many great plots going begging, what's holding it up?

#148 2004-12-30 02:52:42

GraemeSkinner
Website

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2002/1 … _brin/]JRR Tolkien, Enemy of Progress

I think not.

The question is why would you offer a cabinet position to a private from a defeated army? Thats all orcs and dark men were. Sauron was the only enemy with suitable wisdom that could have joined the cabinet, and he was a crazed evil spirit (well Saruman could have joined, though I don't think his mind was the same since he started communicating with Mordor).

Mordor was utterly destroyed why would anyone want to do anything with it?

http://Tolkien.slimy.com]Link

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#149 2005-01-20 07:11:29

Yang Liwei Rocket

Battle star Galactica has been remade as a TV show plus Speilberg and Cruise will be doing War of the Worlds

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#150 2005-01-21 08:30:04

Earthfirst

Lord of the rings FYI is based in a world of myth in a europe that existed long ago before christ. In the world we are freed from modern day concerns like PC voige. It is a fiary tale like world why miss it up with modern ideas like the orks are black or mexican folf in metafore. Thats just dumb Token lived in england in ww2 when he wrote the book, were their was no minortys at the time. The theme of good and evil relates to the time he lived in not ours! Although I find it racist the idea that germans are evil and bad. You volk here don't rember your history that well, only when it comes to the myths of JFK, Martian Luther Jr., Hilary Cilton, and Jelson Mandela. All of whom I regrad as myths created by the babe boomer Libs, execpt for JFK I like because he fought the reds not because he died or his wife was so styles.
Scfi channel has red mars under develpment which they are trying to change the book into a script a hard task because the the book just jumps to person to person with out much explian why they change. Also all the techa speak about terraforming will titolate us mars fans but will bore other people. Another flim or mini serse under development at scfi channel is ring world, from that Niven ring idea.
Their are others films being made but I cant rember them now

I love plants!

Board footer