New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#301 2003-09-30 12:49:04

clark

Re: Apropos of Nothing

I like candy.

#302 2003-09-30 13:03:26

Palomar

*I once found a dead spider at the bottom of a bag of cookies I was eating.  I felt like throwing up.  I wondered if I'd accidentally eaten a spider leg that might have broken off, YUCK  sad  I couldn't eat the rest of the day.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#303 2003-10-01 12:09:14

clark

Obsession is not a complusion.

#304 2003-10-03 05:14:42

Palomar

*I once found a dead spider at the bottom of a bag of cookies I was eating.  I felt like throwing up.  I wondered if I'd accidentally eaten a spider leg that might have broken off, YUCK  sad  I couldn't eat the rest of the day.

You can't also eat the rest of the day when you eat a piece of chicken? Or an egg? Think for a second what an egg is...  sad

BTW, so what if you ate a spider? It's just proteins....

*Oh please!  sad  Those other foods you mention (I love eggs, btw) don't have 6 eyes, 8 legs, hair and fangs.  ::shivers with revulsion::  I hate spiders, and the thought of eating one literally makes me want to gag.  yikes

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#305 2003-10-03 09:19:50

dicktice

Cindy: Re. poetry, I have coffee every am with an elderly gent who has been everywhere and done everything, who happens to be a talented unpublished poet. Our waitress, a third-year music major at Acadia University, asked him to write her a love sonnet (is that right?), and he did so that same day--

Jody's Song

Oh, Jody, my singing now must betray me
Tell I've adored you, held you apart,
How my being, bespoken, asks but a token,
To store with my love in the warmthn of my heart.

Oh, Jody, you shun me, at least do not see me,
Your eyes never fall on my ready face.
Passing discreetly, not pausing to greet me,
your feet do not falter but step out apace.

Oh, give but a thread to tie up my senses,
Tell me my love is silently shared,
Never more to be hidden, now it is bidden,
To show that you always have cared.

So, a few words would plight me,
Lifting sad spirits forever,
To face a long life, happily, lightly,
Which parting from you will not sever.

Oh, Jody, my sweetheart, tell me you'll have me
Confide you'll not hide your love from my eyes.
Tell me we'll dance life's measure together.
Knowing you'll be my heart's sweetest prize.

#306 2003-10-03 10:17:11

Palomar

dicktice:  "Cindy: Re. poetry,"

*Hi dicktice.  It's interesting that you should bring the subject of poetry up; the subject came up very recently (and briefly) at my "Age of Voltaire" group.  smile

dicktice:  "I have coffee every am with an elderly gent"

*That's a nice way to socialize; I love mornings.

dicktice:  "who has been everywhere and done everything, who happens to be a talented unpublished poet. Our waitress, a third-year music major at Acadia University, asked him to write her a love sonnet (is that right?), and he did so that same day--

*I'm not well versed (pardon the pun) regarding specific poetry terminology, so I don't know if "sonnet" would be the correct word to use or not.  sad

Jody's Song

Oh, Jody, my singing now must betray me
Tell I've adored you, held you apart,
How my being, bespoken, asks but a token,
To store with my love in the warmthn of my heart..."

*Well, that's a very lovely poem.  I wonder if your gentleman friend and Jody are on the threshold of one of those December/May romances?  Very nice.  If she didn't like that poem, she must be nuts.  smile

--Cindy

P.S.:  I imagine it's getting rather brisk and chilly up your way.  My aunt told me yesterday that the morning temperature in Illinois was 28 F.  Yipes!  It's still very warm here, probably 70 F at 8:00 a.m.

#307 2003-10-04 04:04:22

alokmohan

Taking a spider !!!!

#308 2003-10-04 05:49:10

Palomar

*Okay, I can certainly tell I've been interacting here quite a lot and for quite some time now:

I dreamed last evening that Josh was the star of an action-based television show.  It was a brief dream; sorry, Josh, can't recall much detail other than that you were a super-cop or something similar.

I dreamed Byron was (sorry Luco) the star of a new Spider-Man TV series.  His costar was a little girl (supposedly a sister to him on the TV show) who looked a lot like Kristi (a friend from back home) when she was a little girl.  Byron agreed that his little girl costar reminded him, too, of Kristi when she was a little girl...but in the show Byron was supposedly 23 years old, and how could a 23-year-old possibly remember what a 38-year-old woman was like when she was a little girl?  The illogic of dreams, geesh!

I dreamed I was cooking a batch of food with my husband in a grocery store no less, and was getting a bit upset that people started taking the food away and buying it from the store.  Hmmmm.  Analyze that one.  sad 

--Cindy

#309 2003-10-04 06:12:53

Byron

*Okay, I can certainly tell I've been interacting here quite a lot and for quite some time now:

I dreamed last evening that Josh was the star of an action-based television show.  It was a brief dream; sorry, Josh, can't recall much detail other than that you were a super-cop or something similar.

I dreamed Byron was (sorry Luco) the star of a new Spider-Man TV series.  His costar was a little girl (supposedly a sister to him on the TV show) who looked a lot like Kristi (a friend from back home) when she was a little girl.  Byron agreed that his little girl costar reminded him, too, of Kristi when she was a little girl...but in the show Byron was supposedly 23 years old, and how could a 23-year-old possibly remember what a 38-year-old woman was like when she was a little girl?  The illogic of dreams, geesh!

I dreamed I was cooking a batch of food with my husband in a grocery store no less, and was getting a bit upset that people started taking the food away and buying it from the store.  Hmmmm.  Analyze that one.  sad 

--Cindy

Hmmm....what is the heck is going on inside that head of yours??  yikes

I've had some awfully weird dreams from time to time, but I think you've got me beat by a mile on this one...lol... big_smile   But I've always known that dreams and logic are like oil and water...they simply do not mix....

B

#310 2003-10-04 10:37:26

dicktice

No, Cindy: My friend is simply one of those individuals able to produce poetry on demand, and Jody simply took him up on our collective claim that he was up to it. If you happen to want one for any purpose, just let me know. (He already is resigned to not being paid for his work, although one of us is collecting his verses towards a published collection.) Seriously, ask and ye shall receive!

#311 2003-10-04 14:52:51

Josh Cryer

Hahaha, that's beautiful Cindy!

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#312 2003-10-06 09:15:33

clark

Dreams are easy, it's people that are a mystery.

#313 2003-10-06 10:43:50

Palomar

*Cute:

40 minutes ago my car suddenly wouldn't start, in the parking lot of a grocery store I'd been shopping in.  So I popped the hood and tinkered with the starter, as my husband has shown me.  After 3 tries, the car started.  But as I was still working on it, two old men shuffled by with their plastic grocery bags.  One of them was saying, "A while back I baked a batch of oatmeal cookies.  They turned out really good, too."

:laugh:

--Cindy

#314 2003-10-06 13:26:12

clark

Always listen to a woodshop teacher with only three fingers.

#315 2003-10-06 19:20:27

Shaun Barrett

You mean on each hand, or all together?

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#316 2003-10-06 20:36:45

clark

precisely.

#317 2003-10-07 05:07:01

Shaun Barrett

No less edifying a response than I might have expected, under the circumstances.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#318 2003-10-07 06:14:05

clark

Better, under the circumstances, than under the circular saw.

#319 2003-10-07 06:18:27

Byron

The question is, would you even want to trust a shop teacher with only three fingers??  yikes

B

#320 2003-10-07 06:21:52

clark

Would you trust a midget to tell you when it's flooding?

#321 2003-10-07 11:59:18

Josh Cryer

A midget wouldn't know what a flood was.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#322 2003-10-07 12:02:15

clark

specious.

#323 2003-10-07 13:00:15

Josh Cryer

Cindy and clark are almost always here.

--------

#324 2003-10-07 15:23:26

clark

Josh hides when he is here.

Board footer