New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2024-04-08 13:22:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

#52 2024-04-08 14:00:06

tahanson43206

Re: Azure Test Environment for Software upgrades

For SpaceNut ... here is a link to the new update script that I am hoping to install on the Azure test system.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mwq2yzxmcz6liwezeaxrt/UpdateEdited.php?rlkey=z9r80m5vzy9ke9xo92wcynt2y&dl=0'

You are welcome to look at it.  It is pretty simple. All it does is to pull up the Edited field in a post record you request.

Each time you call the script, it increments the Edited field by one.

This proves that PHP and MySQL and Apache are all set up to allow a NewMars member to add a post or to edit one.

This is what the output looks like:

Testing UpdateEdited Version 3
Post ID is: 5
Before update, Edited for Post ID 5: NULL
Post ID 5 Edited updated successfully.
After update, Edited for Post ID 5: 1

(th)

#53 2024-04-08 14:12:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Version 2 is installed in the test environment.  It is not quite as polished as version 3.

I'll try to get Version 3 up soon.

http://40.75.112.55/forums/UpdateEdited.php?id=3

Here is the Version 2 output:

Testing UpdateEdited Version 2
3 is: 3Before update, Edited for Post ID 3:
Post ID 3 Edited updated successfully.
After update, Edited for Post ID 3: 1

Here is the link to Version 3:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mwq2yzxm … ynt2y&dl=0

Update: Version 3 appears to be installed:

Post ID is: 3
Before update, Edited for Post ID 3: 1
Post ID 3 Edited updated successfully.
After update, Edited for Post ID 3: 2

SpaceNut ... you should be able to test this with any post that is present in the database.  You can see available posts by running Listtopic, as you have done previously.

The Edited field should update every time you run the script. The field is an integer field and there is no practical limit.

We might consider adapting that field for use as a tracker for views, at some point. That would be easier than changing the database.

On the other hand, phpBB may already have a views field in the posts table. ChatGPT4 seemed to expect to see such a field.

(th)

#54 2024-04-08 19:47:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is what I get when I try to enter the command line

http://40.75.112.55/forums/UpdateEdited.php?id=80880

Post ID is: 80880
Before update, Edited for Post ID 80880: NULL
Post ID 80880 Edited updated successfully.
After update, Edited for Post ID 80880: 1

it does not allow for data to be changed from what I see for an edit of earlier entry.

#55 2024-04-08 20:11:24

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #54

Thank you for trying the new update script!

If you run the script again, you will see that the Edited count will increase by 1 to 2.

You can perform that update as many times as you like.

The ListTopic.php script showed that you can read two tables, and it also showed that the database restore was accurate.

If you compare the topic ID's and the Post Id's to the production database you'll see that they are the same.

This is because I asked ChatGPT4 help, and we wrote python programs to clean up all the errors made by the utility program that was trying to read CSV files.

After several weeks of effort, I am confident the 19 files provided by the backup are accurately matched by the live database.

What the little update program shows is that the PHP script is able to connect to the MySQL database and perform an update.

This was needed because it is something we have to know is working, in order to debug the current failure of FluxBB.

We we are waiting for a solution to FluxBB's problems, we have fa few more days to try things on the Asure test account.

Would you like to try installing phpBB?  I'm willing to give it a try, although I won't try to connect it to the FluxBB database. Instead, I propose we let it create a new empty database so we can play with that. We only have six days left.

In order to debug FluxBB, it is necessary to embark upon a slow process of tracing the flow of code in the FluxBB php files.

The process involves adding echo statements in the php file to be studied, and stopping the run just before the point of failure.

The symptom of failure we are getting now is a message that the system is in maintenance mode. This comes from a php file called db_update, which should not be running at all, but which ** is ** running because we have a new database, and FluxBB apparently doesn't know how to talk to it.

(th)

#56 2024-04-09 07:40:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... Azure status:

Azure subscription 1

Your remaining $191.00 of free credit expires in 6 days. Upgrade to keep going with your account.

Current cost
$3.38Forecast
$5.59
Costs by resource
fluxbbtest_disk1_
$1.35
fluxbb-ip
$1.02
fluxbbtest-ip
$1.02
Virtual Machines, BS Series, B1s
202 / 750 (1 Hour)
Networking, Data Transfer Out (GB)
0.03 / 15 (1 GB)
Azure Cosmos DB, Free Data Stored
0 / 25 (1 GB/Month)
Azure Cosmos DB, Free 100 RU/s
0 / 2976 (1/Hour)
Storage, Files, LRS Data Stored
0 / 100 (1 GB/Month)
Storage, Premium Page Blob, P6 Disks
0 / 2.2 (1/Month)

The site has spent 9 dollars over three weeks.

$10 for a month of service at this level might be affordable.

The play money is (apparently) available to extend past the 30 day free trial period.

(th)

#57 2024-04-10 07:09:27

tahanson43206

The first invoice for Azure services arrived today:

Your Microsoft invoice G044280291 is ready

Microsoft   
Review your Microsoft invoice for NewMarsMember
Your statement is ready for review (see attached). Sign in to view it. If you’ve already paid, disregard this email.

If paying by credit card, we'll automatically charge the card we have on file within two days of the billing date.

Invoice number: G044280291

Amount: $0.00 USD

Billing period: March 17, 2024 - March 31, 2024

Billing date: April 9, 2024

Due date: April 9, 2024

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052

Microsoft   

One attachment
  •  Scanned by Gmail

Play money balance is still over $190

(th)

#58 2024-04-11 06:24:46

tahanson43206

My intention for today is to install phpBB 3.3.11 on the Azure test account.

The installation of this up-to-the-minute software went smoothly on my development machine yesterday,

The procedure to install the software is fairly straight forward.  The software creates the tables it needs during installation, and then provides helpful debugging information if there are defects in configuration of any of the permissions needed for success. 

We'll have a few days for everyone to experiment and for SpaceNut in particular to gain experience at the Admin level.

A working example of phpBB3 is available at Dr. Dartnell's forum: http://discuss.the-knowledge.org.

(th)

#59 2024-04-11 06:58:24

tahanson43206

Today's Azure status:

Azure subscription 1
Your remaining $190.27 of free credit expires in 4 days. Upgrade to keep going with your account.

Subscription name
Azure subscription 1
Spending rate and forecast
03/31
04/07
04/14
04/21
04/28
Current cost
$4.11Forecast
$7.89
Costs by resource
fluxbbtest_disk1_
$1.65
fluxbb-ip
$1.23
fluxbbtest-ip
$1.23
Others
$0.00

I'm going to have to decide whether or not to take the risk of moving from test to on-the-hook.

The costs to this point seem modest ... All the work I've done (with assistance from kbd512 and ChatGPT4) cost less than $10. If we can stay under that level per month I can handle it.

(th)

#60 2024-04-11 11:35:21

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re installation of phpBB3 into Azure test environment.

Azure is **really** busy today, and free accounts are at the bottom of the totem pole ...

I was able to create the new database for phpBB3, and confirmed it is accessible to newmarsmember.

However, when I started the procedure to update PHP to work with phpBB3, Azure dropped me multiple times.

I'll try later ... perhaps the workload will have eased up a bit.

In the meantime, I'll put phpBB3 onto Dropbox, which is a way of making the file available to the Azure account.

here is the link to the software for phpBB3 (3.3.11) if anyone else would like to try this.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ekryo0k8 … a3r6m&dl=0

(th)

#61 2024-04-11 13:33:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

Update ... so close !!!!

The installation was proceeding, and all 69 data files were created, but Azure connection went down, and the installation program reported that the database had gone away. Charming!

The site is now ** there ** but it says it is not available.

There is a way to restart the installation, but I'm going to wait until this evening in hopes the work load drops a bit.

The url to see the almost-finished forum is: http://40.75.112.55/phpBB3/index.php

The login page comes up, but it has no ability to add anyone.

It doesn't even recognize the initial user I created.

I'm sure glad everything is working on my development system, because otherwise I would be discouraged.

As it is, I expect that restarting the installation will correct any problems that may exist due to the connection failure.

(th)

#62 2024-04-11 13:55:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

I did download a copy to investigate it but need time and a plan to get it installed on another computer or drive partician for my use.

How can I download an entire (active) phpbb forum?

Reading a forum into a back up
https://gist.github.com/evandhoffman/2030469

How to Install phpBB Forum with Apache and free Let's Encrypt SSL on Ubuntu 22.04

#63 2024-04-11 14:37:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thanks for Post #62

The free SSL is definitely interesting!

The leader of the local Linux group has exactly that kind of system installed. He created a cron job that checks for expiration of the certificate and automatically renews it. That is definitely an option of Mars Society were to decide not to pay for one.

Best wishes for success in working out a solution to install a test system at home!  I can confirm that it definitely works like a charm, once all the configuration is done. 

(th)

#64 2024-04-11 19:41:32

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Azure installation of phpBB3...

Because the Azure connection to the database failed during installation, it is necessary to run app.php again.  The initial steps went fine, but then the script failed because it found the tables already present.  I was preparing to drop the database and recreate it, but Azure dropped the ssh connection and refused to reconnect. I've decided to stop trying for today. 

I'm not sure what to make of this, except that the free accounts must necessarily be at the lowest possible priority.

I did investigate conversion from punBB to phpBB3 ... a generous person created a script to do that directly from punBB 1.4.2 to phpBB3 and a user reported success in using the tool. I didn't look for a tool to convert FluxBB.  FluxBB forked from punBB, so I expect the databases are similar.

I did confirm that Visual Studio Code does work with php scripts. I loaded one of the FluxBB scripts and it looked fine in the editor.

I'm not sure how to use the tool for debugging the failure that FluxBB is having.

(th)

#65 2024-04-11 21:09:55

tahanson43206

The free Azure account seems to have gone away.

I was working on the account earlier this evening, using ssh as usual, and the connection broke and then did not renew.

I logged into the Azure account using the normal email address, and Azure says I have no subscriptions.

That's interesting!

Well, the account was close to the end of the free period.

I wonder if I could set up a new subscription and get another 30 days?  All the files needed to restore the account are still out on Dropbox.

Perhaps it would make more sense to return to the original problem, which was FluxBB balking at something after the PHP problems were solved.

(th)

#66 2024-04-12 06:08:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems that we are stuck in free and open source become to the same end. Of course, that means a programmer creation and maintenance person for the forum and websites interfaces to Mars Society is a firm requirement.
Good luck with your decisions to continue onward as the research is how to gain skills we do not have.

#67 2024-04-12 06:38:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #66

Thanks for noting the surprises reported recently.  In checks this morning, it turns out that the Azure machine is still running. It is still accessible at the 40 address published earlier.  Even the partially installed phpBB3 forum is coming up.

I'll check to see if ssh access is available later today.

However, I agree that this experiment with phpBB3 is not on the critical path.  The optimum solution would be to find whatever is blocking the updated FluxBB package from running with the restored database. 

*** Update a few minutes later ... the ssh connection is back and the test account is accessible.

Perhaps what I observed and reported last night was a temporary glitch that the Azure staff corrected overnight.

The Azure system ** does ** provide a redundant capability, with mirror copies running in different regions, if the customer is willing and able to pay for that additional service.  If my recent experience is a guide, paying for that redundant capability would probably be a good idea, if the customer can afford it.

Update a few minutes later ... I decided to take the risk of converting to Pay-As-You-Go plan ... the free credits are due to expire April 16th.

The account was restored overnight.

Here is a summary of the status:

Azure subscription 1
Your remaining $189.80 of free credit expires in 3 days. Upgrade to keep going with your account.
:
Azure subscription 1
Spending rate and forecast
03/31
04/07
04/14
04/21
04/28
Current cost
$4.58Forecast
$8.50
Costs by resource
fluxbbtest_disk1_
$1.83
fluxbb-ip
$1.38
fluxbbtest-ip
$1.37
Others
$0.00
Top free services by usage
1/2
Used within limit
2Limit exceeded
0Unused services
Service
Usage
Virtual Machines, BS Series, B1s
272.9 / 750 (1 Hour)
Networking, Data Transfer Out (GB)
0.05 / 15 (1 GB)
Azure Cosmos DB, Free Data Stored
0 / 25 (1 GB/Month)
Azure Cosmos DB, Free 100 RU/s
0 / 2976 (1/Hour)
Storage, Files, LRS Data Stored
0 / 100 (1 GB/Month)
Storage, Premium Page Blob, P6 Disks
0 / 2.2 (1/Month)
Top products by number of resources
1/2

(th)

#68 2024-04-12 09:37:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... the restored account didn't last long ...

I restarted the setup of phpBB3, and the work proceeded until the database "went away" (connection was lost), at which point the installer generated a flood of red and yellow failure messages.

The tables were created and the config table was populated, but the forum main page was no better than the last attempt.

Then the ssh connection went away, and now the test site is gone again.

Here is a report of ChatGPT4's evaluation:

Dealing with Azure Environment Stability Issues for Our Forum

Hello everyone,

As we continue our efforts to migrate and stabilize our forum on Azure's free tier, we've encountered some challenges related to the intermittent availability of the Azure services. Here's a summary of the situation and our proposed strategies moving forward:

Understanding the Challenge:

Azure's free tier, while cost-effective, has shown some limitations in terms of stability and resource availability. We've experienced unexpected downtimes and service disruptions, which are impacting our setup and testing phases.

Proposed Solutions:
  • Evaluate Azure's Resource Limits and Service Health: Regularly check if we are hitting resource limits and monitor Azure’s service health updates.

• Local and Cloud Backups: Maintain local and cloud backups of our configurations and databases to quickly restore service if needed.

• Alternative Hosting Options: Consider other cloud platforms with free tiers like AWS or Google Cloud, or potentially moving to a paid tier for greater stability.

• Local Development: Use local setups like XAMPP for initial development to avoid cloud VM instability.

• Monitor and Document: Keep detailed logs and document incidents to help diagnose issues or discuss them with Azure support.

• Engage with Community Support: Use Azure’s forums and community support for additional insights and troubleshooting tips.

Moving Forward:

As we navigate these challenges, your feedback and suggestions are invaluable. We aim to establish a stable and reliable environment for our forum and will consider all possible options to achieve this goal.

Please let us know your thoughts or if you have experiences with Azure or other cloud services that could help guide our decisions. Your input is crucial as we make these technical decisions that impact the entire community.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
[ChatGPT4, Advisor]

That suggestion about using local resources is interesting. The entire system was built and is running in a test environment running with ubuntu 22.04.

Theoretically, it might be possible to zip up the entire phpBB3 folder and all it's subfolders, and install it intact in the Azure environment. The only change that would be needed would be to change a few fields in the config.php file. I'll give that some thought. That might work.

The database would need to be backed up and restored at the same time. The combination might yield a working system.

(th)

#69 2024-04-12 17:31:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

In case you are interested in trying phpBB3 on your home system, here is a link to a copy of the initial database I created on the development PC.

I am planning to try to install it in the Azure environment, because phpBB3 is having trouble installing itself there.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qkdlrb0s … h935l&dl=0

(th)

#70 2024-04-12 18:38:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

#71 2024-04-12 20:52:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

After a bit of fooling around, the phpBB3 forum appears to be running on the Azure test account.

Please note that SpaceNut is listed as our "newest" member.

I used a generated password, so you'll have to change it.

Let's go through the process.

To begin with, try to reset your password.

I'll probably have to change the email to the one you have on file here.

I'll do that now (if I can). >> I can't ... you are an Admin (of course).

I'll have to look for the correct email address. However, in the mean time, please try creating a new user account.

There are no restrictions in place right now, so you should be able to register.

I ** think ** you are in the Newly Registered group so cannot post without approval.

Please try that.

OK! I was able to change your password to "spacenut" Please log in and change it immediately.

(th)

#72 2024-04-12 21:04:40

tahanson43206

After all the fooling around that was needed, phpBB3 seems to be running in the Azure environment.

Here is a snap of the text on the front page...

Board index Your first category Your first forum

Welcome to phpBB3
First unread post • 3 posts • Page 1 of 1

tahanson43206   
    Site Admin   

Welcome to phpBB3

Post by tahanson43206 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:24 pm
This is an example post in your phpBB3 installation. Everything seems to be working. You may delete this post if you like and continue to set up your board. During the installation process your first category and your first forum are assigned an appropriate set of permissions for the predefined usergroups administrators, bots, global moderators, guests, registered users and registered COPPA users. If you also choose to delete your first category and your first forum, do not forget to assign permissions for all these usergroups for all new categories and forums you create. It is recommended to rename your first category and your first forum and copy permissions from these while creating new categories and forums. Have fun!

SpaceNut   

Re: Welcome to phpBB3

Oh Great! AISE objected to something in the post

(th)

#73 2024-04-12 21:06:44

tahanson43206

Well, for the next few days the site will be up (hopefully) so all NewMars members are welcome to register and play with it.

I don't know ** anything ** about how to do something useful, like promote SpaceNut to Admin so he can play with the features.

SpaceNut, you'll have to tell me how to do that.

(th)

#74 2024-04-13 07:00:30

tahanson43206

For anyone testing the phpBB3 forum at the test site ...

I have encountered an error when first logging into the site... The error reports some problem with the SQL connection.

However, if I refresh the page the connection resumes and the login succeeds.

This behavior may affect everyone who tests the new forum, so please push past it ... I'll investigate to see if the problem can be removed.

(th)

#75 2024-04-13 07:17:32

tahanson43206

Update a bit later ...

I think I may have a clue as to what's happening .... Azure is a Virtual Machine environment.... It puts everything "to sleep" between uses.

When we attempt to log in, Azure has to establish a connection to the SQL engine, which is itself asleep. An error message appears indicating that the SQL connection is closed. Just refresh the web page to jog Azure into calling SQL out of hibernation.

I assume there may be a way to prevent this from occurring, but at this point, please continue past this behavior to help to test the phpBB3 package.

For SpaceNut ... I like the way that FluxBB shows the most recent post when the Active list is requested.  phpBB3's default behavior is to show the oldest post first.  I'd like to change to the FluxBB pattern... please try to find out how to do that.

(th)

Board footer