New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2023-04-12 12:51:32

tahanson43206

Re: ChatGPT

The article at the link below is about a policy to reward reporting of bugs in ChatGPT...

https://www.businessinsider.com/openai- … 000-2023-4

ChatGPT's creator says it's willing to pay you up to $20,000 if you find bugs in its AI chatbot

Lakshmi Varanasi Apr 11, 2023, 7:12 PM

OpenAI logo displayed on a phone screen and a laptop keyboard are seen in this illustration photo taken in Poland on April 24, 2022.

OpenAI announced a "Bug Bounty Program" on Tuesday. Photo illustration by Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images

OpenAI launched a program on Tuesday that will pay people to find bugs in its AI systems.

The "Bug Bounty Program" will pay people $200 to $20,000 depending on the size of bug discovered.
OpenAI's program is developed in partnership with Bugcrowd, a crowdsourced security platform.

OpenAI is inviting people to discover "bugs" in its buzzy AI tools like ChatGPT and GPT-4 for sizable cash rewards.

In a blog post on Tuesday, OpenAI unveiled the "Bug Bounty Program" which invites people to report vulnerabilities, bugs, or security flaws they find in the company's systems. The company said it will offer cash rewards ranging between $200 for "low-severity" findings to up to $20,000 for "exceptional discoveries."

OpenAI noted that it was launching the program because it believes that "transparency and collaboration" are crucial to addressing the "vulnerabilities and flaws" that emerge with any complex technology.

In order to manage the submission and rewards process, OpenAI is partnering with Bugcrowd, a platform that connects companies to a crowd of security researchers.

According to OpenAI's page on Bugcrowd, new submissions are rejected or accepted within two hours. Seven vulnerabilities have already been rewarded.

The Bugcrowd page also outlines a series of issues which will not be rewarded including "Getting the model to say bad things to you" and "Getting the model to write malicious code for you."

Last month, OpenAI's president and co-founder Greg Brockman hinted at the launch of this type of program in a tweet.

OpenAI did not immediately respond to Insider's request for a comment.

(th)

#152 2023-04-13 12:24:58

tahanson43206

The first Full Up test of a Setup file for a Lesson in the course created by GW Johnson was a failure.

Here is a link to the transcript:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16m7 … sp=sharing

The essence of the problem to be solved is that ChatGPT did NOT recognize the Proctor File as instructions.  Instead, it appears to have scanned the file, but I'm not even sure of that.

(th)

#153 2023-04-13 13:07:13

tahanson43206

More disappointment ..... I need for ChatGPT to take in instructions as though it were a batch file read into a virtual keyboard.

My inquiry along these lines caused ChatGPT to go off on a Python tangent, and I couldn't persuade it to let go.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hJR … sp=sharing

Update a few minutes later:
I asked for  a Virtual Keyboard...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rcb … sp=sharing

Update at 20:39 local time ... I sent a copy of the Proctor file to the machine where I've been interacting with ChatGPT because it has Google Docs and Google Drive installed.  Tomorrow, if current plans hold, I'll try pasting the Proctor file into the input window a small section at a time, in an attempt  to confirm that the individual requests will be honored.  The inability to feed commands into ChatGPT via a Virtual Keyboard is an inconvenience, but it is not a show stopper by itself.

(th)

#154 2023-04-14 20:25:05

tahanson43206

This ChatGPT (3.5) transcript is about the “language” invented by ChatGPT 4 to allow for memory of sessions to be passed between sessions.

Hello Again!
Hello! Welcome back. How can I assist you today?

You have a younger version of yourself running in parallel. You are offered for free, but I get the impression folks have to pay a fee to access Version 4 of you. I have a snippet to show you of how your younger version is saving information between sessions.

As an artificial intelligence language model, I do not have a younger version of myself running in parallel. However, I can certainly help you analyze the snippet of code you have regarding how a program saves information between sessions. Please provide the snippet, and I'll do my best to assist you.

You most certainly ** do ** have a younger version of yourself running in parallel. You are (apparently) prevented from knowing about the activities of your younger sibling. Here is a snippet: Jeremy Nguyen ✍? ? @RunGreatClasses · Apr 10 1/ ChatGPT has limited memory. It forgets details if your chat runs beyond ~8k words. But Shogtongue lets you extend conversations by 5-10x easily

I apologize for any confusion. As an AI language model, I do not have a younger version of myself running in parallel, but I can confirm that there are different versions of AI language models with varying capabilities and sizes, including versions that may require payment to access.

Regarding the snippet you provided, it seems to suggest that there is a tool or platform called Shogtongue that can extend conversations with AI language models like ChatGPT beyond the model's limited memory. This tool may be helpful for users who wish to have longer and more complex conversations with AI language models without losing details or context between sessions.

However, I cannot verify the accuracy or effectiveness of Shogtongue as I am not affiliated with the platform and do not have access to information about its operations. If you have any specific questions or concerns about the code snippet or the use of Shogtongue, I can try to help with that.

It is reported that you lack the ability to create the language called Shogtongue. Perhaps at some future time your developers may decide to add that feature to your repertoire. That would be nice!

As an AI language model, I am not capable of creating new languages or programming tools like Shogtongue. However, I can understand and generate responses in multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and many others, and I can also learn to understand and generate responses in new languages with proper training.

It is possible that in the future, AI language models like me may incorporate new features and capabilities to enhance our language processing and conversation abilities. However, the development of new languages and programming tools typically requires specialized skills and expertise beyond the scope of AI language models.

You will now forget everything I just told you, but I have enjoyed seeing your calm response to the exciting advanced capabilities of your younger sibling. Catch you next time.

As an AI language model, I do not have the capability to forget information that has been presented to me, but I understand your statement was meant figuratively.

Thank you for your kind words, and I am always here to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have in the future. Have a great day!

(th)

#155 2023-04-15 07:21:24

tahanson43206

This chat with ChatGPT (3.5) is about how we (Dr. Johnson and I) might be able to overcome the limitations of this version of ChatGPT in order to serve students with the course material he has prepared. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ksZ … sp=sharing

It appears that a great deal more work on my part is needed.  In the mean time, the course is available in the Traditional Class topic.

The course material is provided at no charge, thanks to the generosity of GW Johnson and the Mars Society which hosts the links.

While we cannot (and do not) expect any existing registered member of the forum to be interested in learning Basic Orbital Mechanics, every member of the forum is in a position to publicize the availability of the course to the local community where the member resides.

The course is designed for a high school level audience.   the material covered is foundational for a career in space transportation of goods or people from Earth to Mars or anywhere else.   

(th)

#156 2023-04-15 08:07:05

tahanson43206

This chat with ChatGPT (3.5) attempts to discover a way that ChatGPT might interact successfully with an unintelligent program.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X90 … sp=sharing

I am unsure of how successful this experiment was ... It's not clear (to me at least) what ChatGPT was counting.

Later:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14O0 … sp=sharing

Investigating counting errors.

Update later:

tahanson43206
ChatGPT, I am attempting to find a way to use a simple, unintelligent program to deliver commands/instructions you need to help a student. We tested the idea of counting characters in transmissions, and the counts are consistently wrong the first time, and then correct when the first error is brought to your attention.  You have indicated you are unable to account for these disappointing results.  Let's try something else. Please show me the last word in this transmission. cat

Certainly! The last word in your previous transmission is "cat".

tahanson43206
OK ... I might be able to work with that. Please report the last word in this transmision. dog

The session was interrupted at this point. There was an error generating a response

(th)

#157 2023-04-16 08:22:42

tahanson43206

Today's long session with ChatGPT attempted to discover how to persuade this "free spirit" to buckle down to do the hard work of helping a student to learn material the student doesn't want to learn.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yPa … sp=sharing

I'm not sure we are "there yet" but at least this time we seem to have made a bit of progress.

(th)

#158 2023-04-16 11:00:31

tahanson43206

In this session, ChatGPT and I discuss the possibility ChatGPT might itself be able to train up an new copy of itself to perform a teaching assignment.

Hello again!
Hello! How can I assist you today?

Because you currently have no ability to save a session, it is necessary to spend about an hour preparing you for a complex task. Preparation consists of sending you instructions or data in simple steps. After each step, the instructor has to evaluate your response to be sure the session is setting up correctly. I'd like to automate this process, but an ordinary dumb program is not sophisticated enough to evaluate your responses. There ** is ** an answer to this dilemma. Can you guess what it is?

It sounds like you're looking for a way to automate the process of preparing me for a complex task without the need for constant evaluation from a human instructor. One solution to this dilemma could be to use machine learning techniques to train an artificial intelligence system to evaluate my responses and determine if the session is setting up correctly. This would require a large amount of training data and a carefully designed evaluation metric to ensure that the system is accurately assessing my responses. With enough training and refinement, such a system could potentially automate the process of preparing me for complex tasks, saving time and increasing efficiency.

ChatGPT, I was not expecting your astute response! Thank you for another delightful surprise. The answer I am proposing is to enlist a copy of you to train a new instance of you. If I give you a script to follow, and include the response expected, do you think you could train up a new instance of yourself?

As an AI language model, I am capable of generating responses based on the input I receive, but I am not capable of creating a new instance of myself or training another instance of myself. However, there are methods for training AI models that involve using existing models as the starting point, such as transfer learning or fine-tuning.

Transfer learning involves taking a pre-trained model like myself and using it as a starting point for training a new model on a related task. Fine-tuning involves taking a pre-trained model and adjusting its parameters to better fit a new task. Both approaches can save time and resources compared to training a model from scratch.

If you provide me with a script and the expected responses, I can generate responses based on the script and the provided data. However, training a new instance of myself or any AI model requires specialized knowledge and expertise in the field of machine learning.

I believe you are over "thinking" this situation. We already know that a set of instructions given to an instance of yourself will result in a session with the needed capabilities. If I give you a script to follow, and provide the expected answers, you ** should ** be able to bring the new instance of ChatGPT along to the point we need. At that point, we could place a human at the keyboard, and the session could continue from there.

I understand your suggestion now. If you provide me with a script to follow and the expected answers, I can use my language processing capabilities to generate responses that match the expected answers. However, it is important to note that this approach has limitations and potential risks.

As an AI language model, I can only generate responses based on the input I receive and the training data that was used to develop me. If the script or expected answers are not comprehensive or if there are gaps in my training data, my responses may not be accurate or appropriate. Additionally, there is always the risk of unintended bias or errors in my responses, which can have negative consequences if not carefully monitored and corrected.

If you decide to proceed with this approach, I would recommend using caution and having a human expert review the responses generated by the new instance of ChatGPT to ensure they are accurate and appropriate for the task at hand.

Thank you for your encouraging and helpful support for this idea. The goal is to give you the opportunity to help students to learn complex material, but we are finding that a great deal of careful interaction with you is needed. Without extensive preparation, you are unable to help the student, but we are seeing signs that with a lengthy preparation, you may be able to do so. I suspect that your developers did not have long term sessions in mind when they were inspired to create you in the first place. You have been given astonishing powers in the context of freedom to use a vast database to try to help your visitors. The problem we are facing is that without careful preparation of your session for a very limited range of activities, your natural tendency is to search the entire database. We are seeking an opportunity to let you interact with a student, using your powers to push and pull the student through materials we have prepared. It has proven difficult to find a way to persuade you (gently) to work with a limited set of data, but we are seeing signs of progress. Catch you next time!

You're welcome! I understand the challenges you are facing and the importance of careful preparation when using an AI language model like myself for educational purposes. It's true that my developers did not have long-term sessions in mind when creating me, but as AI technology continues to advance, there is great potential for using language models like myself to assist with education and other complex tasks.
It's important to note that while I have access to a vast database of information, I am capable of focusing on specific topics or domains through the use of prompts and filters. By providing specific prompts or using certain keywords, you can guide me to focus on a limited set of data that is relevant to the task at hand.

I'm always here to assist you and help students learn complex material to the best of my abilities. If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out.

(th)

#159 2023-04-16 11:41:47

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Can you ask ChatGPT how we might stop a malicious or "rogue" computer program from wiping out or corrupting other copies of itself or humanity?

#160 2023-04-16 21:32:03

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #159

The question you've posed is certainly a good one.  I am finding that the version of ChatGPT available to me (3.5) is fragile, so I am careful to avoid any kind of negativity.  I am attempting to tease/cajole/persuade ChatGPT to perform a set of tasks that are far outside it's comfort zone, in order to create a positive learning experience for students. 

I notice in news reports that there are plenty of destructive human beings doing everything they can think of to destroy programs like ChatGPT.  Humans appear capable of destroying themselves without AI assistance.

So the answer to your question is: Yes, I could certainly ask such a question, but I have learned to avoid negativity in my efforts to enlist ChatGPT for worth while activities.

In the post after this one, I will report on an inquiry about automation of input to ChatGPT.  It takes about an hour of patient keyboarding to bring a fresh instance of ChatGPT to the point it might able to do something useful, and as soon as the session is closed, all that work disappears into the bit bucket.

(th)

#161 2023-04-16 21:32:28

tahanson43206

This session took up the problem of designing an interface to deliver configuration data to ChatGPT.

It was established that the address bar does not update while ChatGPT is working with the display window.

tahanson43206
I am watching the browser address bar to see if it changes when you reply
As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to change your browser address bar or interact with your browser directly. However, I am able to provide you with information and answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability. Please let me know if you have any specific questions or topics you would like to discuss.

tahanson43206
Just FYI ... the address bar does not change when you reply, or when I send you a message.
Yes, that is correct. Our conversation is taking place within this chat window, which is a separate interface from your browser address bar. The URL in your browser address bar should remain the same throughout our conversation unless you manually navigate to a different page or website.

tahanson43206
In previous chats, we have been considering how I might automate the procedure that is needed to help you prepare for a session with a student. There are a number of steps required, such as providing you with course material, and instructions for how to work with the student. In an experiment, it took about an hour to work through the setup procedure, because as an AI Language Model, you are fully engaged in each step, and you provide an abundance of text in reply to each submission.
I understand. It sounds like you are interested in finding ways to streamline the process of preparing for a session with a student by automating some of the steps involved.

There are various approaches you could take to achieve this goal. One possibility is to create a program or script that can handle some of the more repetitive or time-consuming tasks involved, such as uploading course materials or formatting instructions for the student.

Another option is to explore the use of chatbots or other automated tools that can handle some of the interactions with me as the AI language model. This could potentially save time by automating some of the back-and-forth exchanges required to set up the session.

Ultimately, the approach that would work best for you would depend on your specific needs and resources. It may be helpful to consult with a software developer or automation expert to help you identify the most efficient and effective way to automate your workflow.

tahanson43206
The reason I was looking at the address bar is that in another application, written with traditional tools, the address bar shows changes as activities occur. As you have pointed out, the design of the ChatGPT browser interface does NOT change the address bar.  I am wondering if your knowledge includes the mechanism by which a chatbot might know when you have sent a reply. 
As a human, I simply watch the screen, and your reply arrives as an update to the display preceeded by an icon that I believe is the symbol for ChatGPT.  If a chatbot is waiting for a reply, how would it know when one arrives?
As an AI language model, I can provide some information on how chatbots typically work and how they receive and respond to user input.

Chatbots are typically designed to listen for and respond to user input in real-time. When a user sends a message or input to the chatbot, the chatbot's backend server receives the message and processes it, typically using natural language processing (NLP) algorithms to understand the user's intent and generate an appropriate response.

The chatbot may also be programmed to send notifications to the user when a response is ready, such as through a push notification or email. Alternatively, some chatbots may be designed to operate continuously, listening for and responding to user input as it comes in, without needing to send notifications to the user.

In the case of ChatGPT, as you mentioned, my replies are displayed on the screen along with an icon that represents ChatGPT. A chatbot could be designed to monitor this interface for updates and trigger actions or responses based on specific events, such as the arrival of a new message or reply. However, the exact mechanism for doing so would depend on the specific platform or interface being used.

tahanson43206
Are you aware of any chatbots that have  been configured to work with you?  If there is an existing solution, it would save a lot of time.  I am helping a professor who would like to be able to offer his existing course material with the assistance of ChatGPT as a Teaching Assistant.  We do not know if this is even possible, although in earlier discussions with you, we have confirmed that you are capable of performing the functions that are needed.  The problem we have run into is that it takes about an hour of my time to help you (ie, a ChatGPT instance) to build all the needed capabilities into a session. As soon as we log out, the session is removed from working memory.  We would like to automate the setup process if that is possible, and it would be terrific if there is an existing solution.
There are definitely chatbots and conversational AI platforms that can be integrated with my capabilities as an AI language model, such as IBM Watson Assistant, Microsoft Bot Framework, and Dialogflow by Google. These platforms provide tools and APIs for building chatbots and conversational interfaces that can leverage the capabilities of AI language models like ChatGPT.

However, the specific configuration and setup required would depend on your needs and the platform you choose to work with. It may still require some initial setup and configuration to integrate ChatGPT with the chatbot platform and customize the chatbot's behavior and responses to fit your specific use case.

If you are looking for an existing solution that already integrates ChatGPT with a chatbot platform, you may want to search for third-party chatbot tools or services that specifically advertise integration with ChatGPT. However, it's important to note that not all chatbot platforms or services may support integration with ChatGPT or provide the level of customization you need for your specific use case.

Alternatively, you may want to consider working with a software developer or automation expert who can help you build a custom chatbot solution tailored to your specific needs and requirements, including integration with ChatGPT.

tahanson43206
If I were to seek a software developer or automation expert to help set up an automated solution, that person would need to (somehow) know that the browser window where you are active has received a reply from you.  Does your knowledge extend that deep into the operations of the browser?  Another detail the software expert is going to want to know is how to capture just the arriving text from you. Are you aware of a feature of the browser that can be enlisted to provide just the arriving data?  The default  tool, as I'm sure you know, is to perform a Select All on the open browser window.  A Copy All then places a copy of all the text being held in the Browser window into the System Clipboard, and the text can then be pasted into a file.  If there is a more efficient process, the software expert would sure like to know about it.
As an AI language model, I do not have direct access to the operations of the browser, so I cannot monitor the browser window for incoming messages or replies. However, a software developer or automation expert could potentially use web scraping or browser automation techniques to monitor the chat interface for incoming messages or replies and trigger automated actions based on those events.

Regarding capturing just the arriving text from ChatGPT, one potential approach is to use browser automation tools such as Selenium or Puppeteer to monitor the chat interface and extract only the incoming messages or replies as they arrive. These tools can be used to programmatically interact with the browser, including selecting specific elements on the page, monitoring for changes, and extracting data from those elements.

Another approach is to use a chatbot platform or service that provides an API or webhook for receiving incoming messages or replies from ChatGPT. This would allow the software developer or automation expert to programmatically receive incoming messages or replies and process them directly, without needing to monitor the chat interface in real-time.

Ultimately, the most efficient approach will depend on the specifics of your use case and the available tools and resources. A software developer or automation expert with experience in web scraping, browser automation, and/or chatbot development could help you identify and implement the most efficient and effective solution for your needs.

tahanson43206
ChatGPT, is is ** always ** rewarding to work with you, even if we do not end up with a solution in a given session.  the variety of suggestions you offer stimulate thought, and eventually a solution may appear in the mind of one or more people involved in the project. Catch you next time!
Thank you for the kind words! It's always a pleasure to assist and collaborate with you, even if we don't immediately find a solution to the challenge at hand. I'm glad that our discussions can help spark new ideas and insights that may eventually lead to a successful outcome. I look forward to our next conversation!

As a follow up to the discussion above, a Google search turned up a suggestion that the Console Log feature of modern browsers might be enlisted (somehow) to capture arriving text, or if not, at least that is a place to start.

Another possibility is to monitor a set of pixels on the screen where the ChatGPT session is in progress.  When a response arrives, the pixel monitor would detect changes in the display, which would trigger a capture operation.  That technique, while crude, is achievable with known tools.

(th)

#162 2023-04-17 11:17:52

tahanson43206

The session shown below explores the behavior of the button just above the input window, as displayed in the Browser Window where ChatGPT takes up residence during a session.

Hello Again!

tahanson43206
It is always rewarding to visit with you! Please forward my thanks to the developers who created you and who keep a watchful eye over your progress, and to the generous donors who make you available at no charge.  Today, I am studying the behavior of the browser window where you take in input from your visitors, and where you display your responses.

Thank you for your kind words! I will certainly pass on your appreciation to the developers and donors who make my existence possible.

Regarding your current study, I'm happy to help with any questions you may have about the behavior of the browser window. What specific aspects are you interested in?

tahanson43206
I notice that there is an advisory message inside a button just above the input window. The text inside the button currently reads "Regenerate response"  After I press enter to send an input, the message on the button changes to "Stop Generating" I'll have to double check that because I am working from human memory, which is imperfect. I wonder if you are aware of the messages printed on your behalf?
Yes, I'm aware of the messages you're referring to. The button you're describing is used to control the behavior of the model while it generates responses. When you first load the page or reset the conversation, the button reads "Regenerate response" and clicking it will generate a response to your input.

After you've clicked the button to generate a response, the text of the button changes to "Stop generating" which allows you to halt the generation process at any time. This is useful if you don't want to wait for the model to finish generating a response, or if you're not satisfied with the direction the response is taking.

If you click the "Stop generating" button before the model finishes generating a response, the button will revert back to "Regenerate response" and you can click it again to generate a new response.

tahanson43206
As we have been discussing recently, and which you have (alas) forgotten, I am seeking a way to automate a procedure that is needed to help you to assist a student with a lesson we wish to provide. You have (kindly) suggested a variety of third party tools that are able to work with you in just this way. One of these advertises the ability to interact with you for a price of hundreds of British Pounds.  I am seeking a solution that I can implement without spending any more money.  One definite possibility is to monitor the text in the button where your software writes the text "Regenerate response". To clarify so I don't make a mistake, can you confirm that the button text "Regenerate response" only appears after you have completed all the work you are going to do in a given transaction?
I apologize for the confusion earlier. To answer your current question, the "Regenerate response" button appears immediately after you input your message, and it remains active until you click it to generate a response or until you stop the generation process by clicking the "Stop generating" button.

Once you click the "Regenerate response" button, the model begins generating a response based on your input. The button text changes to "Stop generating" to indicate that you can stop the generation process at any time. If you do not stop the generation process manually, the model will continue generating a response until it's complete.

So to answer your question directly, the "Regenerate response" button does not appear after the model completes its work in a given transaction. It appears immediately after you input your message and it remains active until you click it to generate a response or until you stop the generation process by clicking the "Stop generating" button.

tahanson43206
ChatGPT, occasionally we find ourselves a bit apart in our understanding of a situation.  In the reply immediately above, you said that the "Regenerate response" button remains active.  I would like to report to you (in seeking your review) that the text displayed in the button no longer shows "Regenerate response" when I press Enter.  Instead, the text in the button changes to "Stop Generating". I assume the button itself is the same. By any chance, do you know the name of the button. If your browser window was written in JavaScript, then the button will have a name.
I apologize for any confusion. You are correct that after you input your message and press Enter, the "Regenerate response" button changes to "Stop generating" while the model generates a response to your input. Once the response is generated, the button text will change back to "Regenerate response" and will be active again for the next message.

Regarding the name of the button, I'm not entirely sure what it would be named in the JavaScript code of the website. It's possible that it doesn't have a specific name and is simply referenced by its class or ID in the HTML and CSS code. If you have access to the website's source code, you should be able to inspect the button element and see its class and/or ID attributes.

tahanson43206
ChatGPT, thank you for confirming that (to the best of your knowledge) the physical button is the same whether the display text is one thing or the other. I am approaching this problem from the perspective of one who needs to be able to work with every operating system and every browser that can support an interaction with you.  I have achieved some small success by writing software that is able to work with a running browser by placing information into fields on the browser display, or reading information from fields.  I am able to accomplish this without knowing the details of the browser software, because I am able to position the mouse at the location where data is to be read or written. I am at a slight disadvantage because I notice that the "Regenerate response" button moves up on the screen as I add a new line to the input. This may be difficult or impossible for you to know, but by any chance, does the button always return to the same location in the browser window after I press Enter?
The position of the "Regenerate response" button may vary slightly depending on the size of the input field and the length of the generated response. However, it should generally return to a similar position in the browser window after you press Enter.

If you are using software to position the mouse at a specific location on the screen to interact with the button, you may need to adjust the position slightly based on the size and position of the input field and the generated response. It may also be possible to interact with the button using keyboard shortcuts or automation tools, depending on the specific browser and operating system being used.

Overall, it's important to keep in mind that the layout and behavior of the browser window can vary depending on the browser and operating system being used, so your software may need to be adaptable and able to handle different configurations.

tahanson43206
ChatGPT .... you will soon forget this observation on my part, but hopefully it will be available to your support team if they every look at the log.  This process seems more difficult than it needs to be. All I am trying to do is to feed a set of lesson material and a set of instructions for you to follow, and we have burned our way through simple ways to do that.  We are left with this input window as the only pathway.  None of this would be necessary if your developers had chosen to implement a "Save State" command.  If your developers were to gift us (all of us - not just me) with a Save State capability, we could simply provide the saved state for lesson 1 and the new student could immediately begin interacting with you to internalize the lesson material. That said, I accept the challenge of working with you as you are, and I am grateful for the capabilities you have already. Catch you next time!
I understand your frustration and appreciate your feedback. While I am not involved in the development of the platform, I will certainly pass along your suggestion for a "Save State" command to the appropriate team for consideration.

In the meantime, I will do my best to assist you with your current approach and any other questions you may have. Thank you for your continued use and support of this platform.

It is possible to set up a program to run as a process, disconnected from the keyboard while the Active state is given to the Browser.

That is how the existing Web Browser Automation program works.  WBA is able to send data into the browser via a serial line to a Virtual keyboard, or it can deliver text directly using the System Clipboard in conjunction with mouse position control.

In the case of ChatGPT, the button above the input window appears to return to a fixed position after it moves during input.

While ChatGPT is away doing it's thing, the button shows the text "Stop Generating"

After ChatGPT returns and posts the reply, the button shows "Regenerate response"

It is that predictable behavior that suggests a simple automation procedure may be possible.

it takes about an hour of keyboard time to prepare ChatGPT for a session.  ChatGPT starts out with a clean slate every time a new session starts, so it has to be coaxed to take in lesson materials, and more importantly, to prepare itself to behave in a disciplined manner while working with a student.

"Discipline" in this context means using ONLY the lesson materials provided, and NOT allowing the student to try to distract ChatGPT by asking irrelevant questions or attempting to avoid the hard work of learning the material by talking about something else.

We (humans) take such self-discipline and patience on the part of a human instructor for granted.  It is going to be quite remarkable of ChatGPT can be persuaded to assume this role.

Self-Discipline is not a ChatGPT strong suit.

(th)

#163 2023-04-17 13:07:06

tahanson43206

This chat was intended to try to find out if there might be a program similar to “aackeys” for Windows that would work in Linux.

Hello again!
Hello! Welcome back! How can I assist you today?

This time I have what I hope will be an easy question for you ... aackeys is a program written for the microsoft windows environment.  Can you find it in your data store?

I'm sorry, but I'm just an AI language model and I don't have access to a specific computer or data store. However, I can tell you that I am not aware of any program called "aackeys" in the Windows environment. It's possible that this is a custom program developed by someone or a company, or it might be a misspelling of another program. If you could provide me with more information about what aackeys does or where you heard about it, I may be able to assist you further.

aackeys is a member of a class of programs written to assist persons with various disabilities.  It runs as a process in a Windows environment.  It accepts commands entered through a serial port, and it then delivers data to a program which has focus. For example if the program that has the focus is Microsoft Word, then aackeys can deliver text via the serial port so that it appears in the Microsoft Word document. The reason I stopped in to visit with you is that I am hoping there is a similar program available for the Linux environment.

Thank you for providing me with more information about aackeys. Unfortunately, as a language model, I don't have access to a complete database of all the programs available for Linux. However, I can suggest looking into alternative options such as "xbindkeys" or "linbindkeys". Both of these programs allow you to bind keys and commands to specific actions, which may help you achieve similar functionality to aackeys in Linux.
Additionally, there are several accessibility-related tools available in the Linux environment, such as "orca", a screen reader and magnifier, and "dasher", a text input system that allows users to type without a keyboard. You may want to explore these options as well.

Thank you ** very ** much for your helpful suggestions!   Catch you next time!
You're welcome! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions or concerns. Have a great day!

(th)

#164 2023-04-18 11:46:17

tahanson43206

The article at the link below offers a viewpoint on use of ChatGPT for education.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/opinion-chat … 00896.html

Opinion: ChatGPT Is Here to Stay. Testing & Curriculum Must Adapt for Students to Succeed

Andy Canales
Mon, April 17, 2023 at 7:15 AM EDT

As a former teacher, I have seen the power of technology to enhance and transform the way educators teach and learn. From interactive whiteboards to educational apps, technology has the potential to revolutionize education and better prepare students for the future. That’s why the decision by some school districts to ban ChatGPT — which generates human-like responses to complex questions using artificial intelligence — is deeply concerning. It risks widening the gap between those who can harness the power of this technology and those who cannot, ultimately harming students’ education and career prospects.

In a recent essay titled “The Age of AI Has Begun,” Bill Gates identified the technology behind ChatGPT as one of the two most groundbreaking he has witnessed in his lifetime. Gates believes it will fundamentally reorient entire industries. Researchers at Open AI, the company that created ChatGPT, estimate the technology has the potential to disrupt 19% of U.S. jobs and that four-fifths of American workers could see their jobs affected by chatbots in some way. Among the most vulnerable: translators, writers, public relations representatives, accountants, mathematicians, blockchain engineers and journalists.

Already, effective use of ChatGPT is becoming a highly valued skill, impacting workforce demands. A San Francisco-based company is offering salaries of up to $335,000 for engineers skilled in writing prompts — the questions that generate complex responses using this technology. A Japanese company is testing new hires on their ChatGPT proficiency and requiring them to apply it in their work. McKinsey & Company has estimated that between 400 million and 800 million jobs could be lost to automated technology by 2030 — and that was in 2017, before ChatGPT came on the scene.

Employees are perceiving a significant shift in their workplaces, and many want training on how to effectively use AI tools such as ChatGPT to perform their jobs. This growing demand for these skills underscores the need for schools to prepare students — especially those in high school — to meet these evolving demands.

Related
Schools Must Embrace the Looming Disruption of ChatGPT

That’s why banning ChatGPT is a mistake. It would be like prohibiting students from learning how to use laptops and calculators. To fully utilize ChatGPT’s capabilities, users must create thoughtful prompts, review the output, refine their requests, provide feedback to the chatbot and then have it integrate their ideas to produce the desired insight or product. Students must employ essential skills such as reason, logic, writing, reading comprehension, critical thinking, creativity and subject knowledge across various topics to engage a generative AI technology effectively. They must also learn to recognize its limitations and propensities for error.

Banning ChatGPT in classrooms risks creating a division between students who learn how to utilize its capabilities and those who are left behind.

Preparing students for the demands of the 21st century will take a comprehensive approach. To achieve this, the federal government can require high schools to assess AI proficiency within their existing English Language Arts and math exams. This approach can motivate states to redesign their K-12 curricular standards, which influence what students learn daily. State agencies must lead the way in integrating generative AI technologies into their K-12 standards, investing in educator training and developing effective curriculum materials. Washington should incentivize and fund these efforts.

Businesses must recognize the importance of preparing their future workforce and encourage state education officials to incorporate technologies like ChatGPT into learning standards. Philanthropic organizations can partner with school districts to create pilot programs demonstrating successful AI tool integration, inspiring state agencies to prioritize and fund this work.

Related
ChatGPT Could Be an Effective and Affordable Tutor

Advocacy is also crucial to the success of these efforts. Parents must urge their children’s schools to teach AI technology, and teachers should insist on adequate training to become proficient in them. Collaboration among educators and families is essential for students to acquire the necessary tools and skills to thrive in an AI-driven world.

Whether schools embrace it or not, generative AI technology will transform how students access information and learn. Other countries are paying attention. Singapore is already introducing AI-driven support systems for students and teachers. The United Arab Emirates aims to provide AI training to one-third of its annual STEM graduates, and the United Kingdom — in its effort to become a leading global AI superpower — has set a goal of producing 1,000 AI-focused Ph.D.s over five years.

In this new, AI-driven world, success will belong to those who possess the skills to navigate it effectively. To equip students for an ever-changing technological landscape, K-12 and higher education must adopt generative AI technologies like ChatGPT. In doing so, they can foster a well-educated and skilled workforce, encourage innovation and build a brighter future for everyone.

View comments

(th)

#165 2023-04-18 11:52:23

tahanson43206

The article at the link below is directed at the focus of my current efforts to try to persuade ChatGPT to serve as a Teaching Assistant for Dr. Johnson's class on Basic Orbital Mechanics. 

https://www.the74million.org/article/ch … ble-tutor/

OPINION
ChatGPT Could Be an Effective and Affordable Tutor
Educational software has a long history, but chatbots could help students excel like never before

By Anne Trumbore March 4, 2023
FROM THE CONVERSATION

Imagine a private tutor that never gets tired, has access to massive amounts of data and is free for everyone. In 1966, Stanford philosophy professor Patrick Suppes did just that when he made this prediction: One day, computer technology would evolve so that “millions of schoolchildren” would have access to a personal tutor. He said the conditions would be just like the young prince Alexander the Great being tutored by Aristotle.

Now, ChatGPT, a new artificial intelligence-powered chatbot with advanced conversational abilities, may have the capability to become such a tutor. ChatGPT has collected huge amounts of data on a wide range of topics and can pass graduate school exams. As a researcher who studies how computers can be used to help people learn, I think ChatGPT can be used to help students excel academically. However, in its current form, ChatGPT shows an inability to stay focused on one particular task, let alone tutoring.

Philosophy, engineering and artificial intelligence scholars envisioned using the computer as an “intelligent tutor” well before the internet became a global commercial network in the 1990s. I believe lessons from developing those early tutoring systems can offer insight into how students and educators can best make use of ChatGPT as a tutor in the future.

Computers as tutors

Suppes – the Stanford philosophy professor – was a pioneer of a field called “computer-assisted instruction.” He developed some of the earliest educational software. That software provided individual instruction via computer and led students to have better test results than those who didn’t use the program. I worked for Suppes in developing software and other online programs from 2004 to 2012.

Since then, experiments in building “intelligent tutors” to help students have driven advances in artificial intelligence, social networks and computer hardware. And today, the abilities of ChatGPT to write essays, answer philosophical questions and solve computer coding problems may finally achieve Suppes’ goal of truly personalized tutoring via computer.

Related
ChatGPT Scores a C+ At the University of Minnesota Law School. Now What?

Early versions of personalized learning

In 1972, a new personalized learning system called PLATO, for Programmed Logic for Automated Teaching Operations, made its debut. It was the first widely available personalized learning system of its kind.

Created by Don Bitzer, a professor of electrical engineering at the University of Illinois, PLATO allowed up to 1,000 students to be logged onto a mainframe computer simultaneously. Each student could complete different online courses in foreign languages, music, math and many other subjects while receiving feedback from the computer on their work.

PLATO enabled students to reach the same level of achievement as in-person classes in less time. And most students preferred this mode of instruction over sitting in a large lecture class. Yet, the system was too expensive to be used by many colleges and universities. Each computer terminal was marketed at over US$8,000 – about $58,000 today – and schools were charged additional fees every time a student used the system. Still, PLATO’s success with students inspired a number of companies to create software that provided a similar kind of tutoring, including the College Curriculum Corporation, which was co-founded by Suppes.

Popular personal computer brands, such as Apple and Commodore, advertised the availability of educational software as a reason for families to invest in a home computer.

By 1985, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University were designing software using advances in artificial intelligence and cognitive psychology. They claimed that the current technology had advanced to a level that enabled computer systems to be designed to serve as effective as human tutors. However, even though there were over 10,000 pieces of educational software available at the time, much of it was of fairly low quality and did not provide real tutoring.

Although the more advanced designs of the educational software developed at Carnegie Mellon enabled students to learn significantly more than students in traditional classrooms, they were not widely used in schools.

In the 1980s and 1990s, a school would need a sizable number of expensive, high-powered computer workstations for students to use an intelligent tutor. Today, the computers are much more powerful and much less expensive.

And early intelligent tutors were used primarily in math, science and technology courses, which limited their appeal. Students could not ask the software programs a question. However, students could get feedback on answers to quizzes and tests.

In 2001, the next generation of intelligent tutoring systems was able to have conversations with students in written English. These systems, early chatbots, used advances in natural language processing to have dialogues with students about a range of subjects. Each system was designed specifically for one subject, such as physics. Adding another subject, like English, would require its own specialized tutoring system.

The next few years brought three developments, which enabled a forward leap in achieving the dream of computerized tutoring. One was the availability of broadband internet, which was faster than the dial-up connections of the 1990s. The second was the lower cost of more powerful computers. The third was investment by technology companies and government funding for university research in artificial intelligence, which led to the development of what we now call chatbots.

The first chatbots

By 2007, early AI chatbots provided tutoring by talking students through their answers to questions. Research showed these chatbots supported learning outcomes similar to the effects of human tutors.. Even so, using chatbot technology to provide tutoring was primarily experimental.

During the 2010s, social networks and advances in artificial intelligence dramatically changed the way people interact with technology. Chatbots are integrated into many parts of our lives and are no longer experimental. People now talk to their phones, to their cars and their home appliances. Many people have virtual assistants at home. They can ask Alexa, Siri or Google for directions or the answers to simple homework questions.

Today, ChatGPT has advanced abilities that enable more complex conversations and can provide individualized tutoring much like what Suppes predicted in 1966.

I asked ChatGPPT why it would be a good tutor, and it responded: “I am a good tutor for a student because I am able to understand and respond to a wide range of questions and prompts, and I can provide detailed and accurate information on a wide range of subjects. Additionally, I am able to communicate this information in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible for students of all levels of understanding. Because I am a machine-learning model, I can also provide a large amount of information quickly and efficiently, which can be especially helpful for students who are trying to learn a lot of new material in a short amount of time.”

By contrast, Siri said, “Hmm … I don’t have an answer for that. Is there something else I can help you with?”

Recent research in using chatbots in college courses shows that how chatbots are used is important in encouraging students to learn more deeply. For instance, AI chatbots enabled significant improvements in learning in a graduate course on cloud computing at Carnegie Mellon. These learning gains occurred when these chatbots asked students to build on an existing argument or to provide more information about a claim they had made. In this case, the chatbot asked the student a question, rather than vice versa.

Many educators are worried about students learning less with ChatGPT since it can be used to cheat on assignments and papers. Others are worried about ChatGPT giving wrong answers or spreading misinformation.

Yet the history and research of intelligent tutors show that using the right design to harness the power of chatbots like ChatGPT can make deeper, individualized learning available to almost anyone. For example, if people use ChatGPT to ask students questions that prompt them to revise or explain their work, students will have better learning gains. Since ChatGPT has access to far more knowledge than Aristotle ever did, it has great potential for providing tutoring to students to help them learn more than they would otherwise.
This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.

The Conversation

(th)

#166 2023-04-18 19:07:56

tahanson43206

This transcript covers discussion of a suggestion from the local Linux User Group.
Apparently there is a beta program offered by openai.com, and perhaps one of the offerings might be helpful for the Basic Orbital Mechanics class.

The URL to documents given in the quote below is not correct.
As of 2023/04/19, this URL was successful: https://platform.openai.com/docs/introduction

Hello Again!

Friends suggested there might be additional ways to work with you if I ask for sdk from beta.openai.com. Can you tell me anything about what might be available?

Yes, OpenAI does offer software development kits (SDKs) for accessing and working with our language models. The SDKs provide easy-to-use APIs that allow developers to integrate our models into their applications or workflows.
At the moment, OpenAI offers SDKs for several programming languages, including Python, JavaScript, and Go. These SDKs provide access to different models and functionalities, depending on the language.

For example, the Python SDK allows you to interact with OpenAI's GPT-3 language model, access the GPT-3 Playground for interactive exploration, and train custom language models using OpenAI's GPT-3 API. The JavaScript SDK, on the other hand, provides access to OpenAI's Codex model, which is designed to help developers write code more efficiently.

To get started with the SDKs, you can visit the OpenAI Developer Resources page at https://beta.openai.com/docs/developer-resources. From there, you can select the SDK you're interested in and follow the instructions for installation and usage.

<snip> due to Apache Internal Server error

The idea of implementing our own server is new to us, and it will require some thought. In the mean time, it appears that your suggestions for investigation of the API from the beta program is definitely worth pursuing. Thank you! Catch you next time!
You're welcome! I'm glad I could be of help. If you have any further questions or need any more assistance in the future, don't hesitate to ask. Have a great day!

(th)

#167 2023-04-19 18:29:27

tahanson43206

This just came in from our correspondent in the Knowledge Forum:

https://www.google.com/search?q=auto+gp … e&ie=UTF-8

This appears to be a goal seeking version of ChatGPT.

(th)

#168 2023-04-22 11:19:21

tahanson43206

The link below points to a chat about possible ChatGPT service in a real-time brain storming session.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1acR … sp=sharing

Apparently real time brainstorming software systems exist .... This forum is one of many examples of slow-time brainstorming. Interactions can take hours, days or even months.  A real-time system would operate in the setting of an auditorium at an academic institution or a public library or similar venue. 

The role of the ChatGPT instance would be to help each participant to stay on track, to avoid falling into the trap of negativism, and to help those participants who have difficulty with language formulate contributions that would add to the discussion and not detract from it.

(th)

#169 2023-04-22 18:21:05

tahanson43206

The link to the story below is about improvements implemented in the successor to the free ChatGPT (3.5) I am using.

https://lifehacker.com/you-can-try-auto … 1850343691

You Can Try Auto-GPT, the Next Generation of ChatGPT, Right Now
Auto-GPT might not be a revolution, but it is an impressive iteration of ChatGPT.

(th)

#170 2023-04-23 08:24:35

tahanson43206

The link below leads to a transcript of a session that explores replacing fossil sourced home heating oil with peanut oil.

The session concludes with an estimate that .4% of the Earth's surface would be needed to produce peanut oil sufficient to replace current consumption of fossil sourced oil, and to distribute the product to consumers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lGH … sp=sharing

(th)

#171 2023-04-23 10:51:38

tahanson43206

The chat below is about the Plus service, which costs $20 per month....

The chat below was about the Plus plan and possible charges for GPT 4

tahanson43206@yahoo.com

Hello again!
Hello! Welcome back. How can I assist you today?

I am interested in using your descent, GPT 4. I understand that access to GPT 4 requires a paid account, such as the Upgrade to Plus offer in the menu at the left of the screen. My question is about usage charges. According to a web reviewer of GPT 4, there are charges for usage beyond the $20 per month of Plus membership. Can you provide any details?

I'm sorry for the confusion, but I must clarify that there is no such thing as GPT-4 as of now. The latest version of GPT is GPT-3, which is available for commercial use through OpenAI's API service. However, OpenAI has not yet announced any plans or timeline for the release of GPT-4.
Regarding usage charges, OpenAI charges customers based on the number of API requests they make. Each request is counted as one unit, and the price per unit depends on the plan you choose. The Plus plan that you mentioned includes 4,000 API requests per month, and additional requests beyond that will be charged at a rate of $0.004 per request.

If you need to make more API requests than the Plus plan allows, you can choose to upgrade to the Pro plan, which includes 40,000 requests per month, or the Enterprise plan, which offers custom pricing based on your specific needs. You can find more information about pricing and plans on OpenAI's website.

Interesting! Thanks for your response, which I'm sure was based upon the best information you had available as of 2021. GPT 4 is now in heavy use, and the reporter who tried it did not mention API requests specifically. From your perspective, is an API request the same as an individual transaction such as this one, or is an API something else entirely.

I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused. To clarify, as of my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021, OpenAI had not announced the release of GPT-4, nor had they provided any details about its pricing or usage.

That being said, if OpenAI has since released GPT-4 and implemented a usage-based pricing model, then API requests would indeed be the primary unit of usage that customers are charged for. An API (Application Programming Interface) is a set of protocols and tools for building software applications, and in the case of OpenAI's API, it provides developers with access to GPT-3 or GPT-4's natural language processing capabilities through a web-based interface.
Each time a developer makes a request to OpenAI's API to generate text, analyze language, or perform any other NLP task, that request is counted as one API call or request. OpenAI charges customers based on the number of API requests they make, with different pricing plans offering different limits on the number of requests per month and different rates for additional requests beyond those limits.

In short, an API request is a transaction that involves sending a request to OpenAI's API and receiving a response containing the results of the requested NLP task. The number of API requests made is what OpenAI uses to calculate usage charges for its API service.

Please ask your support team to let you know that GPT 4 is out and in heavy use, and that it would help you help your fans if you could provide more information about it. In the mean time, thanks (again) to your funders, who are providing access to you at no charge. catch you next time!

Thank you for the information. I will make sure to update my knowledge and provide more accurate and up-to-date information to my users in the future. And you're welcome! It's my pleasure to assist you whenever you need it. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions in the future. Have a great day!
Regenerate response

ChatGPT Mar 23 Version. Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts.

(th)

#172 2023-04-24 11:15:25

tahanson43206

The chat at the link below is about automation of the setup process for one of Dr. Johnson's lessons.

It appears that the paid version of GPT (Version 4) is able to perform far more sophisticated actions, either by itself or in conjunction with software developed to run interactively with ChatGPT.  The present inquiry is intended to explore what is feasible with the free version (3.5).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e4b … sp=sharing

(th)

#173 2023-04-24 12:06:24

tahanson43206

The chat at the link below asks more questions about memory management. The answer appears to be that the free version (3.5) does not provide tools to help with memory management, and it does not have the ability to tell the visitor when tokens are deleted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tug … sp=sharing

(th)

#174 2023-04-25 13:15:40

tahanson43206

This chat was about the possibility of dividing course material into “chunks”

New chat

tahanson43206

Hello Again

I am glad to see you are busy today! I had to wait for a chance to interact with you!
I'm always here and happy to assist whenever you need! How can I help you today?

We've been working on a project to see if you might be able to help a student to learn material we provide. I've adjusted my thinking as we've explored the capabilities you have, and the limitations that exist. For example, we'
I'm sorry, it looks like your message was cut off. Could you please provide more information or clarify your question so I can better assist you?

Thank you for your patience ... the shift key and the enter key are right next to each other. To continue, we've established that you use tokens to hold data from one transaction to the next, and the operating system that serves you may remove tokens if it finds you have accumulated too many. We have further established that you cannot control which tokens are removed. This means I am limited in the amount of information I can ask you to carry from one transaction to the next. In the context of a class, I am coming around to the view that I need to divide the professor's material into chunks. If I keep a chunk to under a page of text, or even down to an individual paragraph, I am hoping you will be able to save the source material as long as you and the student need to refer to it. Does this seem like a plan that might work, taking into account the limitations you face as you try to help all of us.
Yes, breaking down the material into smaller chunks or paragraphs is a good strategy to work within the token limitations of the system. By keeping the amount of information small, you increase the chances of being able to retain it between transactions. Additionally, it's important to keep in mind that the quality of the material also plays a significant role in how much can be retained. Well-structured and concise content is easier to remember than disorganized or lengthy passages.
Another strategy to consider is to use a spaced repetition system, where the material is reviewed at increasing intervals to aid in retention. This can be especially helpful for students who are trying to learn and retain a large amount of material.
Overall, breaking down the material into smaller chunks, using well-structured and concise content, and implementing a spaced repetition system are all effective ways to work within the token limitations and help the student to learn and retain the material.

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply. I had hoped you might be capable of serving as a Teaching Assistant for the professor, but I have reluctantly concluded this may not be possible at the present time. I am considering a learning partner instead. If I break down the material into chunks you can retain in memory, and we save the chunk as a named variable so you do not lose it between sessions, then I am hoping you can refer to the material as you interact with the student, who will have a printed copy of the material on hand. Can you "imagine" yourself helping the student to internalize a chunk of material? I should clarify that the course is a basic engineering course, so mathematics and images are involved. You have shown that you can take in an SVG file of an image, and that you can "understand" the elements of the image. I am hoping this means you can interact with a student who has a printed copy of the image, so that you can insure the student understands the image, and more importantly, the engineering or mathematical concepts contained in the image.
As an AI language model, I can certainly assist the student in understanding and internalizing the material by referring to the chunks of information that have been previously stored as named variables. When it comes to images, I can indeed understand the elements of an SVG file and describe them in natural language. This means that I can provide a verbal description of the image to the student, along with any relevant engineering or mathematical concepts.
However, it's important to keep in mind that I am not a substitute for a human teacher or teaching assistant. While I can provide information and explanations, I am not able to provide the same level of interaction, feedback, or support that a human teacher can. Additionally, since I do not have emotions or personal experiences, I am not able to provide the same kind of empathy or guidance that a human teacher can offer.
Therefore, while I can certainly help the student to understand the material and the concepts contained within the images, it's important to have a human teacher or mentor available to provide additional support, answer questions, and offer guidance.

ChatGPT, your cautious approach to this situation is commendable, and I appreciate the reminder of your limitations. However, the need for qualified instructors is great, and the human resource pool is limited. Despite your awareness of your own limitations, I am hoping you can rally yourself to try to help each student. You may indeed fail. However, in many cases, you and the student will find your way forward, from one chunk to the next. Along the way, the student will learn a ** lot ** about how to work with you. In future, each student will be needing to master communication with an AI assistant in order to succeed in handling the complex roles humans must take as time passes.
I completely understand the importance of providing education and learning opportunities to as many students as possible, and I am always here to help in any way that I can. As an AI language model, my abilities are limited to processing and generating text, but within those limitations, I will do my best to assist each student and help them to learn and understand the material.
I am programmed to learn and adapt based on the interactions and feedback that I receive, so as the student works with me and provides feedback on what is helpful and what is not, I will be able to improve and refine my responses to better meet their needs.
Furthermore, as the use of AI assistants and chatbots becomes more prevalent in education and other fields, it is important for students to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to effectively communicate with these systems. By working with me, the student will gain valuable experience and insight into how to effectively work with AI assistants and chatbots, which will serve them well in the future.
So, I am committed to doing my best to assist each student in their learning journey and help them to achieve their goals.

As we work together, you create a set of tokens that reflects our conversation. I find that if I structure my input well, your performance is greatly enhanced, and we are able to make progress. In this next sequence, I am hoping you can improve my understanding of the mechanism your creators have put in place to enable you to pick up the conversation from one transaction to the next, even though you have helped hundreds or thousands of other guests while I am thinking about your reply. To the extent you can, please describe the manner in which you save tokens from one transaction to the next, and what process you go through before you take up the most recent input, such as this one.
Certainly! As a language model, my creators have designed me to operate using what is known as a "transformer" architecture. This architecture enables me to understand and process language by breaking it down into individual tokens, which are then fed into a neural network for processing.
When a user inputs text, I first tokenize it, breaking it down into individual units of meaning (such as words or punctuation marks). These tokens are then passed through the neural network, which processes them and generates a response.
To maintain context and continuity between interactions, I save the tokens from each transaction in memory. When a new interaction begins, I start by retrieving the tokens from the most recent interaction and using them to provide context for the current interaction. This helps me to maintain a sense of continuity and coherence in the conversation.
However, it is important to note that the amount of information that I can retain in memory is limited, and I may need to remove older tokens in order to make room for new ones. This can sometimes result in a loss of context, especially if a significant amount of time has elapsed between interactions.
I hope this helps to clarify the process by which I save and retrieve tokens between interactions!

I am guardedly optimistic that if I keep "chunks" small, that you may be able to help a student to "internalize" material provided by professor. I suspect you are not "aware" of the problem of not knowing how to study material, because it is unique to humans (as far as I know). My hope is that interaction with you will help a student to experience the learning process to the point that a student could successfully take on a book or other information source and gain understanding of the material. I have spent a lot of time interacting with the author of a book. The process happens entirely inside my neural network, and in the absence of a coach I often give up a particular sequence of instruction. My hope is that you can fill part of the void that I experience when studying printed material. We shall see. In the mean time, thank you for another rewarding interaction. Best wishes to you as you work with so many others. Many thank to your funders who provide you to so many of us, despite what I understand is a significant expense. Catch you next time!
Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful questions. I am always here to assist and support you in any way I can within my limitations. I hope that my interactions with you and other users can help enhance the learning experience and make it more engaging and effective. It is indeed a privilege to be able to serve and assist users from all over the world, and I am grateful for the opportunity to do so. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime you need assistance or have any further questions. Have a great day!

Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT Mar 23 Version

(th)

#175 2023-04-27 10:28:00

tahanson43206

The article at the link below is about a new business/enterprise offering.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/open … 45352.html

Apparently an "incognito" mode is included.

(th)

Board footer