New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-03-04 21:45:55

Earthfirst

Re: The War with Irag - How do  feel about it.

What can I say, with freinds like you who needs ememys! big_smile
I can see that I touch a few nerves of some people, Alter to war with a name like that one mite think that you would be for a war. You must worship Mars god of war, just kidding I get that it alternitive to war. :laugh:
Joke aside you people have possed some good questions. Like what going to happen after the war when the Kerds and the marsh people want to form ther own countrys?
Well I thought about it for a spell, and came up with this answer: First off the US would control irag after the war, keeping the country from spilting apart. Secound it would install a pro US government that reprenects all the ethic groups. The US genreal might rule as president for a decied or two, and the US would wright a constution that would protect the Irags people rights. Lastly the US forces would stay in irag in definatly, building bases airstrips. Helping the US to establish  control over the entire middle east, Irag is right in middle of every thing. Turkey, Iran, Saira, Issaral, and Arbia. This is the bigger picture, with Irag under the US thumb America can domumate the entire region. Helping to settle things down and a go envasin point to any mideast trouble marker.
Irag after the war will be handle the same way Jappan was after ww2, we used it to get control over the east and we will do the same with Irag. The us troops will stay there just like they did in Jappan, and south Korea. Wheather the Iragic people like it or not. Its one of the benfits of being the conquire you get to do any thing you want.
They should be happy that we dont do the same thing the Romans did. They would of burned Bagdad to the ground, luting, raping, murdering, and enslaving the populas, and build a new roman city right on top of filled with free romans and irag slaves. That what happend to Carthage, and in the bitter end to Constampanoble by the Turks now called Istambull.
Why if that happend today the turks would have to pay reperation to the greek orthdox chruch. For the millions of people they murdered in cold blood, why they even turned Pisae Sofa into a musk, Acting like they built it. In my veiw dont trust the Turks they are back stabing culter stealing basterds :angry:  No wonder the greeks want to go to war with them! In my veiw we should hed right in turkey and win it back for the Eastern Roman Empire. Anyways Turkey is just a big turkey, lets just sweep the entire mid east clean and make it part of the far eastern America States!!
???  This soud like a good plan to me, and please take a look at my group Antipeace, my first post has a link to it, you can send email off what you think of my oppion or join the good fight!! :

I love plants!

#27 2003-03-05 11:46:21

dicktice

Earthfirst: You must be kidding!

#28 2003-03-06 09:41:48

dickbill

Earthfirst: You must be kidding!

I think he does. That might just be to "animate" a little bit the debates when the discussion falls flat, like in many forum some funny guys do that.
Seriously, Earthfirst  arguments are probably reminiscent of the american opinion in the 19th century. This is a little bit conservative for people who are supposed to be open minded and consider that terraforming a new world is not a crazy idea. Unless it is representative of an underground movement in the Mars Society ?
Well, when I applied for the MS nobody asked me if I was a member of the KKK or a White Power activist, so I don't think there is a general trend here. I guess that people from all political sides are present in the MS, with no significative difference in representation than in the general population.
I am rather conservative myself in certain issues, even if I am not a prowar enthousiast, but still, I won't pretend to support reinstalling slavery on Mars ! that would look weird for most people in the 21st century.

#29 2003-03-06 11:12:59

dicktice

Dickbill: How odd! My first science fiction story was in Amazing Stories, called "Human Pets of Mars" and still available in an Asimov anthology somewhere in my book collection. When I read it again, I found  it strangely reminscent of Wells's "War of the Worlds" except that the Martian invaders carried humans off to be their slaves back on Mars. It was written by a woman, I was surprised to learn from the anthology, and it wasn't nearly as enthralling as when I read it asa a kid back in the mid-1930s. But...something unique and dreadfully memorable about it was that, when the slaves (who were ridden like horses by their owners) became old, or obnoxious, they were sent away to be slaughtered, exactly the way it is done to cattle and hogs here on Earth. What a shock, to experience walking in line, to the door, beyond which you got zonked, then bled and butchered for meat! The protagonist gets rescued at the last minute by his "master" who has had last minute second thoughts, and eventually learns how to control the spherical Martian spaceship, and escapes to Earth to warn them back home. Since the story is told in the first person, the getaway was no surprise. One other memorable thing, was that Earth appearws "green" from space, rather than "the blue marble" we know it to be now. That story was very affecting, and the horror of the slaughterhouse has always remained with me....  But that was then and this is now, so let's get back to the real Mars, how to get there, etc.

#30 2003-03-07 10:20:46

Earthfirst

smile  I was not avicating slavery or burtlity, I was just saying thats the way a roman genearal like Ceaser would of handel the war in the gulf. I just think the world is lucky that superpowers dont tramply over little nations anymore. The US will treat the Iragics people probbly better than any other invading army has in history. I was was not indurcing roman tatics rather showing how much better we are, taking the best part of roman, its law, art, and pratitcality. Leaving behind the bad parts like slavery, conqust, and curpute leaders. Compared with Rome worest leaders Bill Clinton would be a saint.
Please dont miss interpte me, I just got a little involved and forgot to clearify what I was saying. I just started the a group just for fun I am not to serouse about.
I was just trying to put a little historical  perspective on the current events, much like I could of used Persia as a example who in its own time was just as mercless as rome.
Whats wrong with having a little fun with a history lesson :laugh:

I love plants!

#31 2003-03-08 21:38:24

Cobra Commander

Earthfirst: Gotcha! So was I. Now, about th Romans: I prefer the Republic to the Empire, myself....

But there's just something about empires... cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#32 2003-03-09 18:28:59

Shaun Barrett

Right CC !
    It's called conquest, wealth, and power.

And that's why, probably, there will always be empires - too much primate hard-wiring in the brain, I'm afraid.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer