New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-13 14:55:49

C M Edwards

Re: "Thank You" Notes to the US Senate - Gracious Advocacy

I know that this may come off as a bit radical, but...

With all our talk of writing the US Congress with our demands and displeasures, how often do we suggest thanking them for something they've done right?  For example, the US Senate Appropriations Committee voted unanimously last month to approve a version of the federal budget with increased funding to NASA - including a small percentage added on their own initiative above what was asked for by the presidential administration.  Some may argue that it's unlikely to pass through the US House of Representatives unaltered, but that's not the point. 

The US Senate has done something we wanted them to do, and we should thank them for it. 

I suggest pre-made greeting cards.  Hallmark and other greeting card printers sell numerous "thank you" cards, and at least one is bound to be right for the occassion.  They're relatively cheap, and a blank card or simple letter can be adapted.  A typical card can be personalized just like a letter, but is much easier to write because it's message is simpler. No one responding has to be a literary genius.  It also relieves us of running around trying to muster some sort of "mass mailing". 

If you appreciate what these people have done for the US space program, thank them for it.  It's just that simple.

Thanks for your time.

CME

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#2 2004-10-13 14:59:28

Palomar

Re: "Thank You" Notes to the US Senate - Gracious Advocacy

With all our talk of writing the US Congress with our demands and displeasures, how often do we suggest thanking them for something they've done right? 

I suggest pre-made greeting cards.  Hallmark and other greeting card printers sell numerous "thank you" cards, and at least one is bound to be right for the occassion. 

If you appreciate what these people have done for the US space program, thank them for it.  It's just that simple.

*Yeah, that's a good suggestion.  Reminds me of the old saying, "When I do something right no one remembers, but when I do something wrong no one ever forgets."  :-\

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer