New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#251 2022-03-06 20:08:18

tahanson43206

Re: Zoom Collaboration

The NightOwl Zoom is in session ...

RobertDyck and kbd512 are here, and GW Johnson just signed on.

Update after extended discussion of EVA suits .... here is a NASA study from 2019 that includes extensive research on work of Dr. Webb:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/201 … 027194.pdf

(th)

#252 2022-03-07 07:40:33

tahanson43206

Special request for SpaceNut ..

The next Zoom session will coincide with the Seattle Chapter meeting.

A few days ago I asked if you might be able/willing to write to Executive Director James Burk, to see if he would just Join the existing NewMars Zoom (hosted by kbd512) instead of clobbering the NewMars Zoom, as he traditionally does.

If you sent a reply or posted a reply I have missed it.

Please ask again.  It would be good to allow the NewMars group to become a gathering point for Mars Society chapters around the world, and (obviously) without your help, it is never going to happen.

(th)

#253 2022-03-08 07:47:29

tahanson43206

Renewing request because the 13th of March is only 5 Earth days away. 

tahanson43206 wrote:

A few days ago I asked if you might be able/willing to write to Executive Director James Burk, to see if he would just Join the existing NewMars Zoom (hosted by kbd512) instead of clobbering the NewMars Zoom, as he traditionally does.

Please ask again.  It would be good to allow the NewMars group to become a gathering point for Mars Society chapters around the world, and (obviously) without your help, it is never going to happen.

(th)

I am hoping we can reach Executive Director James Burk with this request before he clobbers the Sunday Zoom once again.

The request is that he might join the existing Zoom, and let the NewMars members meet the Seattle chapter.

it occurred to me that a concern might be that the recording should start at the top of the meeting, but the host can start and stop the recording.

(th)

#254 2022-03-09 07:40:53

tahanson43206

Renewing request because the 13th of March is only 4 Earth days away...

tahanson43206 wrote:

Renewing request because the 13th of March is only 5 Earth days away. 

tahanson43206 wrote:

(th)

I am hoping we can reach Executive Director James Burk with this request before he clobbers the Sunday Zoom once again.

The request is that he might join the existing Zoom, and let the NewMars members meet the Seattle chapter.

it occurred to me that a concern might be that the recording should start at the top of the meeting, but the host can start and stop the recording.

(th)

#255 2022-03-09 09:30:41

GW Johnson
Website

Tom:

What's the story about "tuning in" to see what Rob presents?

GW

PS -- I have run a little Big Ship propulsion study with NERVA in the ship and tugs,  and chemical launch propulsion.  Hard to judge whether tugs at Earth and Mars,  or just at Earth,  is better.

Last edited by GW Johnson (2022-03-09 09:32:16)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#256 2022-03-09 11:29:26

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #255 and all (members and forum readers alike)...

Our own RobertDyck is scheduled to give a presentation about Large Ship (Prime) on this coming Saturday, March 12th, at (about) 3 PM Houston time.  I say About, because the featured speaker begins after the local team completes their regular presentations.  The meeting itself starts at 2 PM Houston time.

Meetings are held in hybrid mode.  There are folks in the meeting site, and there is a Zoom audience.  I expect the Zoom audience to grow over time, while the local audience will remain limited to those who can drive to the site.

"Tuning" in is about as easy as these sorts of things can get .... Just go to the NSS chapter web site and look for the Zoom link.  I'm pretty sure there is a gatekeeper (to keep spammers out) but I've always found that process to be quick.

I'd like to encourage everyone to visit the site ahead of time, so you're not doing last minute check in.

For GW Johnson in particular, please try to join at 2 pm Houston time, so you can hear Dr. Greg Stanley give his monthly summary of events in space.  He reports on launches that have occurred or been attempted, and provides updates on technology that is of interest to the audience, such as the Webb telescope.

The site is: northhoustonspace.org

If someone is thinking of attending and does not have Zoom installed, please install it.

If you want to check to make sure your copy of Zoom is working properly, post a note here and I'll set up an impromptu test session using the Mars Society Zoom.

I'm looking forward to hearing the presentation, and seeing the new slides that (I'm sure) RobertDyck has created.

Protocol: Video is encouraged but not required.  Audio should be in Mute mode by default.

An audience member can type into the chat to ask questions, and an audio connection is possible, but in general, very few audience members attempt the audio mode for interaction with the speaker.

Please use good judgement!  We (Mars Society) are guests in the NSS site.

(th)

#257 2022-03-13 06:19:47

tahanson43206

Today is Zoom Day for NewMars .... Daylight Savings Time went into effect in the US, and I'm halfway through resetting (or checking) the numerous time pieces in this location.   This is spring, so we Spring Ahead one hour.

I haven't thought about what effect this will have on the Zoom meetings, other than to note that nothing changes for those folks who do not indulge in time shifting.

Unless participants request a change of time, I propose we stay with UTC ... Thus, the meeting opportunity for our European members remains 19:00 UTC, and the opening segment of the US/Canada/Mexico session (hosted by kbd512) at 1 AM Monday UTC.

I'm not sure (at this point) when the NightOwl session will open.

A complication is that the Seattle Chapter of the Mars Society will begin their monthly meeting two hours after our meeting starts.

Hopefully SpaceNut has had success in contacting Executive Director James Burk to modify the procedure when he starts the chapter Zoom, so that we can have a smooth transition from NewMars to Seattle.

I've been requesting this change all week, but have not received feedback one way or the other.

I ** sure ** hope we can make this minor change of procedure.

Edit a few minutes later ... the time difference between London and New York has increased from 5 hours to six hours.

25 less 6 is 19, so the US/Mexico/Canada session would start at 19:00 in New York, 18:00 Central, 17:00 Mountain and 18:00 Pacific time.

Google shows New York at 8:35 when UTC is 12:38, and Houston at 7:35.

Google shows New York at 20:00 when UTC is 1 AM - I wonder if Daylight Savings is being computed by time zone?

At this point, I confess to being less than sure what's going to happen.

My recommendation is to use time.is/utc to pinpoint the 1 AM Monday schedule.

(th)

#258 2022-03-13 15:47:03

tahanson43206

As of 17:44 local time, here is a set of predictions for today's evening Zoom:

If now is:
UTC  22:00
NYC 18:00
Hou  17:00

Then 1 AM UTC is:
NYC 21:00
Hou 20:00

I'll join at a few minutes after 21:00 my time, and see who's there.

(th)

#259 2022-03-13 16:19:08

RobertDyck
Website

Hoping for feedback from yesterdays NSS presentation. Will join tonight.

#260 2022-03-13 16:43:57

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck ... some favorable feedback was posted in the NSS topic

Please try to find time to search for it and (hopefully) read it.

(th)

#261 2022-03-13 19:58:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... Executive Director James Burk joined out NewMars meeting and invited us to join the Seattle meeting.

He provided the link code via the chat, and I copied it and this text showed up:

From James Burk to Everyone 10:51 PM
James Burk is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: National Space Society Seattle / Mars Society Seattle Monthly Zoom Meeting
Time: Mar 13, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
        Every month on the Second Sun, 2 occurrence(s)
        Mar 13, 2022 07:00 PM
        Apr 10, 2022 07:00 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.

Thanks very much for contacting Mr. Burk ...

All four of us logged into the Seattle meeting.  Naturally we have our microphones muted.

(th)

#262 2022-03-13 20:21:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... James Burk is heading out to MDRS for another session there.

If I heard correctly, he is in Colorado now ?

He's talking about an offer of donation of some battery storage but they had to turn the offer down for now. 

Mr. Burk will be taking lots of pictures and videos of the site, since there've been changes since the last time he was there.

VR ??? Infinite VR ??  Screen share ... theinfiniteseattle.com is the web site

the service costs $60 for a session...

Starting May 21st  ... cheaper during the week ... Takoma Washington

Almost high definition VR ... 35 minutes

Museum of Flight ... Red Barn classroom ... damage occurred when water leaked ...

The room that the group would normally use is not available. Report by David Stuart

**** April 9th ... Yuri's Night .... more of a party

James Burk is planning to be there

Events at the Museum .... Mars Rover recently .... some of the team members were there.

Talks were well attended.

David Stuart seems to be leading the meeting

Current topic ... what happens to the space station

Speculation of Dragon taking the place of the Russian segment?

https://www.museumofflight.org/Plan-You … night-2022

Advantage of the Dragon ... it is programmable with people on board ...

Question if Cygnus is able to boost the station

RobertDyck asked David Stuart about the Dragon for this application ...

https://spacenews.com/soyuz-embargo-str … h-options/

Link placed by Chris Vancil

David Stuart ... new topic ... Allan Boyle article ... cosmiclog.com ... get-a-way-out-reality-check-on-dreams-of-leaving-earth

Amazingly the image looks a lot like Large Ship

cosmiclog.com/2022/03/10/get-a-way-out-reality-check-on-dreams-of-leaving-earth

Rudolph and Werner Herzog

documentary funded by Blue Origin and another organization

Alan Boyle Space reporter for Geekwire

March 10,2022 By Alan Boyle ...

https://www.space.com/russia-will-not-a … aut-on-iss

(th)

#263 2022-03-13 20:32:13

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... the previous post was running long, so I started another for notes  on the Seattle meeting

https://phys.org/news/2022-03-ukraine-w … erous.html

Alba ... talking about Elon Musk possibly taking over the space station from the Russians....

David Stuart ... review of many ideas for future of space station ...

Alba .. reminder of the talk of using Shuttle external tanks ...  it was never possible to justify doing anything with the tanks

Alba ... ISS systems are worth salvage ...

There are 12 participants at this point - the four of us NewMars folks are hanging in ...

Good grief ... time flies when you're having fun ... It's 10:30 PM local time

Speculation about global issues ....

Andrew Maxson ...

sam ...

https://phys.org/news/2022-03-backbone- … etary.html

https://cosmiclog.com/

I posted the link to the article again because it is such remarkable artwork with respect to Large Ship.

(th)

#264 2022-03-13 20:36:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... I just signed out of the Seattle Chapter meeting ... that was ** awesome ** .... What a promising experience!

Thanks again for setting that up for us!

(th)

#265 2022-03-13 20:57:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its good that we got lucky and that it has gone so well. Hopefully this can continue as its getting our group exposure. We are reigniting the fire for mars in the minds of many.
I did post about the Cygnus reboost capability.GW would need to run fuel numbers from it.

Whither the ISS?
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 42#p192242

#266 2022-03-15 13:45:29

tahanson43206

This is a follow up for RobertDyck ... I forwarded a link to North Houston NSS showing your long post about emergency procedures.

I found it in Large Ship as a quote.

That'll work.  I'll let you (all) know if we receive any feedback.

I am working with North Houston to prepare for the April 9th talk by Dr. Johnson.

I'll report as any updates arrive.

At this point, I've learned that the chapter has an electronic device (a pointer with wireless) that Dr. Johnson can use to advance slides.

However, at his request, a member of the chapter will be on hand to advance the slides if necessary.

There is a mobile microphone they will provide, so the audio can be heard online as well as in the meeting room.

A copy of the spreadsheet was requested ... hopefully that means someone will study it ** before ** the meeting, so the questions can be a bit above the first viewing level.

(th)

#267 2022-03-20 12:06:20

tahanson43206

Today is Zoom Day for NewMars ...

The European Zoom is scheduled for an hour from now (UTC is showing 18:00 or so in London)

However, no one requested a session, and I am not going to be available, so if you want a session, there is always next week.

The Early US/Canada/Mexico session is hosted by kbd512 at the usual time.

I'm planning to join (as usual) at 9 PM my time.

GW Johnson has been creating documents in advance of his presentation on April 9th.

He has asked for feedback on the latest set, which I have not yet uploaded.  I'll try to have them ready for tonight's early Zoom.

(th)

#268 2022-03-20 16:42:21

tahanson43206

Per request, more files have been linked and posted in the GW Johnson Postings topic.  He is asking for feedback during tonight's Zoom.

I'll be arriving at 21:00 my time, but hopefully all the review will be finished by the time I show up.

These files are heading into the final stretch in preparation for April 9th.

(th)

#269 2022-03-20 16:52:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

Took a quick peek at the narrative and the ppt slides which have only the issue of power under all to keep any of them alive once the ship is on its way is the main change with not going all chemical.

#270 2022-03-20 21:14:54

tahanson43206

Today's Zoom spent a lot of time working on various aspects of Large Ship ... assembly led quickly to planning for components to be launched from Earth, and that led to detailed review of cabin layout from a safety perspective.  While the discussion was ongoing when I left, the group was looking at and thinking about greenhouse design for Large Ship.

(th)

#271 2022-03-24 16:15:17

tahanson43206

A seminar/presentation on machine learning is online (live at 18:13 EST US) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvQH8_vXeiE

It is possible the YouTube address will work after the presentation finishes.

There is a lot of incorrect information floating around on the NewMars forum. Here is an opportunity for members (and forum readers) to update their understanding of machine learning.

(th)

#272 2022-03-27 06:31:14

tahanson43206

Today is Zoom day for NewMars members.

The European time slot of 19:00 UTC remains available.  However, after weeks of non-response, I'm going to assume there will be no one interested in taking advantage of the offer.  I'll set the opportunity for next week.  You have all next week to post a note here if you are interested in an "early" Zoom.

The evening Zoom, for Canada/Mexico/US is on schedule, with host kbd512, at 1 AM UTC Monday.

I'll be joining at usual at 2 AM UTC, and look forward to learning of progress on Large Ship.

If GW Johnson is able to join, we have an opportunity to study the work he has done on propulsion, as he has been preparing for his April 9th on site talk to the North Houston chapter of National Space Society.

(th)

#273 2022-03-27 18:59:10

tahanson43206

For Zoom attendees ... I am working on posting three files for GW Johnson.

The document is available now, and I hope to have to images ready shortly.

They are in (will be in) the latest post in the GW Johnson postings topic.

Image 1 of 2: D8sBm6L.png

Image 2 of 2: u8Q8hhf.png

(th)

#274 2022-03-27 20:34:47

tahanson43206

The Zoom meeting seems to have made a bit of progress...

The width of the hull panels is 2 meters.  119 are required to form the smooth shape that is defined by the specifications in the Large Ship (Prime) topic.

Hopefully kbd512 will post a firm recommendation for the material to be used.

Next week, I am hoping we can firm up decisions on the formers and stringers for the Habitat Ring.

kbd512 suggested welding stiffeners to the hull panels on Earth.  That would decrease the number of panels that could be shipped to LEO in a single Starship, but it ** would ** decrease the amount of welding to be done on orbit by teleoperations equipment.

Kbd512 also indicated there may be a way for us to move toward setting up a database to keep track of decisions as we make them.

Dropbox is available to NewMars as a way to publish the current status of the database, once we decide on one.

Open Office is available to everyone, as is Libre Office, so a database could be maintained on Dropbox, and downloaded by anyone who wants to look at it.

Thanks to GW Johnson for taking the time to discuss his propulsion studies in depth.

(th)

#275 2022-04-01 20:38:52

tahanson43206

Next Sunday's Zoom will be an opportunity to cover specific topics, in addition to the wide ranging discussion that usually occurs.

1) GW Johnson just published the latest version of his work on propulsion. I'd like to review that with the group, if we can make some time.

>> find the latest post in the GW Johnson Postings topic.

2) kbd512 asked how we might use a database to help with management of the Large Ship project ... that is an excellent question ... I hope we find time for it.

3) Most important ... I'd like to come out of the meeting with multiple decisions for the hull plates.

We need decisions on the type of ribs (formers and stringers) to be used to strengthen the hull.

We need decisions on where to put the formers and stringers. 

We need decisions on whether or not to keep people and objects off the pressure hull.

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about that.

We've got some members wanting to weld things to the inside of the pressure hull.

We've got some members wanting to walk on the pressure hull at any time of day or night.

We've got other members wanting to keep the interior surface of the pressure hull totally clear so is can be patched in case of puncture.

We've got some members comparing a 1/4 inch thick metal hull to the 6 inch thick hull of a submarine.

I'd like to come out of the discussion with enough precise information so a job shop could make 119 of them for a fixed price.

The Large Ship started out as a fantastic science fiction vision.  We are on the verge of making the difficult transition to Real Universe steps that will lead to construction, assembly, loading and deployment of Large Ship.

On April 9th, GW Johnson is (hopefully) going to provide the audience in Houston with an overview of propulsion options for Large Ship.

There are folks in that audience who could (if they were so inclined) help NewMars to advance the project further toward Real Universe actualization.

(th)

Board footer