New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1976 2022-02-11 19:08:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Housekeeping

Sounds like that last one was a compound type problem in a string command.

You sure are busy and I am very appreciated of that.

We need more that would volunteer so much time to what we believe we should be doing and are very capable of doing with getting men to Mars.

#1977 2022-02-11 21:08:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Re-Scan over 800 posts...

We reached 6900 with a Green Screen

Completed Sequence for ID: 6900

Total Command Lines found: 44
Total input Lines in script: 140

Number of ID's processed: 800

Starting Number: 6101

Last Number of Run: 6900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-11-2022 at 22:06:17
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:40
1 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 08:48:52

Query Text Requested Was Found: Routine Reset
Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 6448

6448 was another image inside url problem. corrected. We are now solid from 1 to 6900.

Tomorrow's Trail Breaker will attempt to reach 22200.

Update at 11:41 local time ... noticed your interesting observation about construction of the Large Ship Analog facility.

I am replying here to avoid replacing your ID with mine in the topic.  Your suggestion of saving money on the facility will certainly appeal to the funders.  I guess the question to be asked is what we want to achieve with the facility.

If we want to select personnel capable of putting up with the severe stress of six to eight months of confinement, and that is ** all ** we are trying to do, then saving money on construction would certainly seem reasonable.

On the other hand, if we want to prove out technology to be used on Large Ship before it is actually lifted to space, so we can be sure it will work in space, then (I presume) we'd want to make the Analog facility out of the same materials that would be flown.

I was thinking of enlisting Airstream to make the cabins, with the exception that no wood would be used, where aluminum can perform the needed function.  They already know how to make aluminum hulls, and those are water tight, so being air tight is probably not too much of a stretch.

(th)

#1978 2022-02-12 07:10:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Analog topic ...

Thanks again for creating that topic.  Because you "own" the topic, and specifically Post #1, the specifications of the topic are secure.

If you (or kbd512) wish to change something in post #1, you can do so.  I am confident you will only make a change that is necessary for the success of the topic.

In your role as Senior Adminstrator, I am trusting you will continue to serve as the single Point of Contact with Executive Director James Burk.

We are putting increasing numbers of people into motion as we engage with the National Space Society, and persons who are NOT in either Society but who **are** residents of Houston, Texas are coming into the mix, due to contacts/outreach going on in Houston.  Specifically, the manager of a branch of the Harris Library system has offered to publicize the scheduled talk by RobertDyck on Large Ship March 12th.

Through your contacts with Executive Director James Burk, we will keep him informed as we go along, and we will provide him with a pathway to deliver such guidance as he may wish to provide.

The MDRS program has been building a cohort of persons who have completed trial runs at MDRS, either as full scale participants, or as supporters doing maintenance at the facility.

I'm curious to know what the number of "graduates" might be.

The Large Ship Analog Facility could happen surprisingly quickly, if the idea takes off in Houston.

It would be helpful to have a group of people who might be willing to serve as Cadre for the first "class" of 1060 people.

Edit at 9:46 local time ...

For SpaceNut ... this forum has thousands of available ID's.... A good use for them would be to provide a contact point for people enlisted as participants in MDRS now, and those who we might hope will become participants in Large Ship Analog later ... The Large Ship classes would be 1000 people per year per facility.

Elon is talking about 1,000,000 people on Mars ... that would be 1000 flights of a Large Ship, or 100 flights of 10.

If we stay with the two year Hohmann cycle (which is not necessary) we would put 20,000 people on Mars every two years with 10 ships.

I think that 10 ships is probably a reasonable upper limit for what the human race might be willing to build and deploy.

If we use the Tug concept of GW Johnson, there would need to be 10 of those as well, if we stay with the 2 year cycle.

On the other hand, if we drop the 2 year cycle, then ships could fly more often and we would need fewer tugs.

As a reminder, GW Johnson's tug concept works by giving the Large ship a massive push, but Large Ship must still give itself a small amount of momentum to achieve the Hohmann orbit.  Meanwhile, the Tug flies an ellipse back to Earth to refuel for another customer.

(th)

#1979 2022-02-12 09:47:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

We are putting increasing numbers of people into motion as we engage with the National Space Society, and persons who are NOT in either Society but who **are** residents of Houston, Texas are coming into the mix, due to contacts/outreach going on in Houston.  Specifically, the manager of a branch of the Harris Library system has offered to publicize the scheduled talk by RobertDyck on Large Ship March 12th.

Through your contacts with Executive Director James Burk, we will keep him informed as we go along, and we will provide him with a pathway to deliver such guidance as he may wish to provide.

I believe that since the moderators and admins have sent emails to James that we need not have a single point of communications for a failure for not keeping James in the loop.

We must be concise with what we send as there is limited bandwidth that he may have to give us aid. We are basically on our own for the most part as a newmars society if you think about it.

The MDRS program has been building a cohort of persons who have completed trial runs at MDRS, either as full scale participants, or as supporters doing maintenance at the facility.

I'm curious to know what the number of "graduates" might be.

The Large Ship Analog Facility could happen surprisingly quickly, if the idea takes off in Houston.

It would be helpful to have a group of people who might be willing to serve as Cadre for the first "class" of 1060 people.

For SpaceNut ... this forum has thousands of available ID's.... A good use for them would be to provide a contact point for people enlisted as participants in MDRS now, and those who we might hope will become participants in Large Ship Analog later ... The Large Ship classes would be 1000 people per year per facility.

I also like the idea of pulling a name list of past experienced mars society analog people and getting them ID's for giving input and increasing communications to them for our analog ship participants if they should chose to be part of the project. This is possibly another area that James may be able to assist in.

As for a website for the project and its communications plus reports to be published we would need James to work that for the project.

#1980 2022-02-12 10:16:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re 1979 and adding new members in general...

Thanks for considering the question.  I appreciate your modesty but intend to give you the first opportunity to communicate with James Burk on behalf of NewMars. It is unnecessary, as you point out, for a flood of people from this group to take up his extremely limited time.

If you find a way to get a sense of how many graduates of MDRS there may be, it would help us (this forum) to understand what the potential might be to invite any of them to become participating members of this forum.  There is absolutely NO reason (that I can see) to go to the trouble of setting up an ID for someone who never contributes.

I'm a member of a professional forum for SQL Server developers. They publish thoughtful editorials every day, and I save most of them. This one ** really ** caught my eye, because it applies so directly to the situation we have here:

Joining a Community

In the last week I've been actively trying to join the PostgreSQL community. It's been an interesting experience. I suspect it's going to stay interesting for a while. As part of what I'm doing, I saw this excellent video from Ryan Booz, talking about joining a new community. It got me to thinking.

You have a community at work too. Your teammates, of course, but those people over on the SAN team, the network admins, and those developers, all are part of your community. So the question quickly becomes, like Ryan talks about, what kind of community is it? How are you treating those within the community? What's it like to be a new person in the community? Is it easy to join & understand what's going on? Or, are there all sorts of shibboleths you need to navigate the community (you'll have to look that up, it is a shibboleth after all).

We always have to strive to build the kind of community that we want to be involved in. And, it's not easy. However, when you've been involved in a successful community, you see how it helps everyone involved. Clearly, it's worth the effort.

Grant Fritchey

The editorial above is from squlservercentral.com

(th)

#1981 2022-02-12 10:55:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair initiative ...

The run to 22200 just ended with a Green Screen

Completed Sequence for ID: 22200

Number of ID's processed: 300

Starting Number: 21901

Last Number of Run: 22200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-12-2022 at 11:53:37
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:36

Total time of Processing: 03:08:51

There were no skips.

I'm postponing the Re-Scan until after the North Houston NSS meeting today, due to bandwidth concerns.

(th)

#1982 2022-02-12 17:59:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have plenty of homework for names

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Anal … on_Program

#1983 2022-02-12 18:41:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1982

Thanks for the link to the Mars Analog page in Wikipedia!

Someone is actively maintaining that page!

This page was last edited on 25 January 2022, at 06:56 (UTC).

Hopefully someone in the Mars Society is recording the names of participants as they pass through the various sites.

The Re-scan is underway.  It is set to cover 800 ID's and it will finish around 3 AM local time. 

Update next day at 6:56 local time... The Re-scan finished a run to 7700 with a Green Screen

Completed Sequence for ID: 7700

Starting Number: 6901

Last Number of Run: 7700

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-13-2022 at 06:56:46
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:39

Total time of Processing: 08:41:35

There was just one skip ...

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 7342

Image inside url again. I think it is safe to assume we have acceptable posts through 7700

A Trail Breaker run to 22500 will start shortly.

#1984 2022-02-13 06:27:58

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative ...

We are breaking trail this morning ... the destination is 22500.

I got to see a Smart Wait in action ... shortly after launching the run, I noticed the Smart Wait was counting up to 60 seconds.

The screen showed the problem ... it was another image inside url situation ... The program reached 60, skipped the reject, and continued on.

Just FYI ... I am backed up with work to do for various members .... I'll try to put a dent in the backlog today

1) For Void ... fix post
2) For GW Johnson ... several new files are waiting to be made available via Dropbox to NewMars
3) RobertDyck ... a draft of his presentation is in review .... I need to finish that
4) Images for the presentation by RobertDyck are in need of collection and positioning for use on the 12th

I'll make the list available to you as soon as I finish it.

Today is Zoom day!  I expect to join the Zoom at 9 PM local time.
Today is the Second Sunday, so the Zoom will be only two hours long.

(th)

#1985 2022-02-13 08:38:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Large Ship Analog

This post is ** about ** the Large Ship Analog topic, but it contains speculation that I am hesitant to publish there ...

The process of setting up a Large Ship Analog, able to process 1000 students per year, does not need to start out at 100% pure simulation. In fact, if it started out with 50% simulation that would be quite an achievement.

The key element that I believe the facility needs to show is that the vision of RobertDyck, that 1060 people can survive confinement in a volume of 19x238x3 meters has a chance of actually working.  I believe it is highly unlikely that there are ** any ** Americans who could tolerate the proposed confinement for six months or eight months for a Hohmann flight, or two years for a wave-off safe return.

To begin with, if the University of Houston is the sponsor/host/manager of the site, then food service could be provided to the students by daily delivery.  The opening round need not worry about anything other than the psychological challenge.  Water, power, food, laundry .... everything needed to insure the good health of the student population could be provided outside the facility.  If the experiment survives the first test, and 50% of the candidates reach the "graduation" ceremony, then it would make sense to tighten the restrictions, until ultimately there is little difference between the simulation and the real flight experience.

Meanwhile, wave after wave of students not inside the facility could be working on engineering, chemistry, biology, communications and all the other disciplines need to design and build the actual ship.

(th)

#1986 2022-02-13 10:50:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative

The Trail Breaker run to 22500 appears to have succeeded ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 22500

Starting Number: 22201

Last Number of Run: 22500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-13-2022 at 11:37:57
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:35

Total time of Processing: 02:57:46

A mystery!  I ** saw ** a skip, but none is recorded.

There is only one occurrence of the image command, and it is valid.

Hopefully the Re-Scan will pick this situation up.

Update at 12:36 local time...

By the way, my last name is spelled "Dyck" and pronounced "Dick"; my name is not "Dyke".

For SpaceNut ... the quote above showed up in a search for posts by RobertDyck about nutrition ... Someone had mis-spelled his name, apparently.

However, that is ** precisely ** the question asked by the North Houston NSS chapter as they plan for March 12th.

I had gone by Dyson (which as far as I know is pronounced "dye" "son"), but clearly that is not how RobertDyck pronounces his name.

I am posting here so I can forward the correction to North Houston later today.

Update at 20:45 .... The re-scan to 8500 finished with a Green Screen

Completed Sequence for ID: 8500

Starting Number: 7701

Last Number of Run: 8500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-13-2022 at 20:47:33
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:39
10 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 08:39:20

There were 10 skips.  I'll come back to work on them after the Zoom session.

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8144

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8145

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8149

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8154

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8164

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8408

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8409

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8410

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8458

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 8459

Update at 22:20 local time ... all ten were potholes. We are good through 8500.

Tomorrow's re-scan will try for 9300.

(th)

#1987 2022-02-14 09:21:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative...

WBA just completed a Trail Breaker run to 22800.  There was one halt for an Internet time out.

otherwise, all the posts processed normally.

Completed Sequence for ID: 22800

Number of ID's processed: 123

Starting Number: 22678

Last Number of Run: 22800

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-14-2022 at 10:13:25

Total time of Processing: 01:11:58

A re-scan to 9300 will start shortly

Side note ... Thank you again for setting up the Large Ship Analog topic.

It is important (to me for sure) that you are the ** owner ** and ** manager ** of the topic.

From time to time, differences of opinion may occur, and you are there to keep things on track.

RobertDyck has his hands full with Large Ship, and he has proposed another completely separate track for a 3D Virtual experience.  I think that is a worth-while project, but it needs to happen with all new personnel, because everyone else is busy with existing activities.

FYI ... GW Johnson is publishing new educational material at a rate that exceeds my ability to keep up.

Please keep an eye out for someone who might be willing to help keep track of all the balls we have in the air.

This person would be someone with a stable disposition, to be able to put up with the occasional outburst that may occur in the forum from time to time, and a methodical attention to detail to insure that all tasks that are pending are attended to.

The re-scan completed with a Green Screen - the high water mark is now 9300.

Completed Sequence for ID: 9300

Starting Number: 8501

Last Number of Run: 9300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-14-2022 at 19:17:34
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:38
2 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 08:23:16

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 9128

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 9150

I'll check the skips now:

9128:image inside url

9150:image inside url

It appears posts are ready for inspection: 1-9300

(th)

#1988 2022-02-14 21:18:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

I do not need a 3d video game to sell this and am not interested in one. I think how something looks is less of an issue for me as its just another tool to make use of for selling the concept to others. I would say its all yours to pursue. Whom to pitch the idea to is still open I think as we may need multiple investors to want to help in what we are thinking of.

Work is still steady in that I am leading the way for our group to help make improvements to a material flow and tracking system that early identifies work that can not go ahead on a schedule plan of execution.
We have multiple programs that do not share or talk to each other so its about learning how to make unrelated outputs relate to give the answer by identifying what they have in common and then to macro's back fill the missing data from one to the other. Some time the answer is created by adding in information of a second or even a third source in addition to the first core of information. Once you have the data outputs you can use access to create the final data base which then can be linked for the views which are required and that allows for others to be in the same data base making changes to the information as needed.

Its like working for all of the auto parts stores in the area and finding out that none of them carry the same content and have different methods for how the inventory is track as well as stored though they may have the same alternator and water pump by different vendors for your vehicle.

#1989 2022-02-15 07:21:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re 1988 ....

I would say its all yours to pursue.

To clarify, this is a suggestion from RobertDyck.

I have NO interest in it.  If RobertDyck creates a topic dedicated to a 3D Virtualization of Large Ship, I'll stand by to admit volunteers he recruits to help.

There is a Moon Base simulation right now.  In fact, Google indicates there may be several:

ALL
NEWS
VIDEOS
IMAGES
MAPS
SHOPPING
BOOKS
SEARCH TOOLS
Mock Astronauts Complete Simulated Moon Base Mission | Space
www.space.com › 37984-mock-astronauts-mission-simulated-moon-base
Aug 30, 2017 · Six mock astronauts have completed a two-week stay at a simulated moon base, where they conducted more than 20 spaceflight experiments.
Missing: moonwarfds | Must include:moonwarfds
Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural ...
www.youtube.com › watch

Jul 17, 2010 · Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite. 10,309,115 ...
Duration: 1:52
Posted: Jul 17, 2010
Moonbase Alpha - Lunar Repairman Simulator - YouTube
www.youtube.com › watch

Jun 18, 2015 · After the weak 'Astronaut Simulator' I wanted to see what other astronaut simulators there ...
Duration: 22:13
Posted: Jun 18, 2015
Moonbase Alpha on Steam
store.steampowered.com › app › Moonbase_Alpha
Jul 6, 2010 · Shortly after the return to the Moon, NASA has established a small outpost on the south pole of the moon called Moonbase Alpha.
People also ask
Is Moonbase Alpha Real?
Does Moonbase Alpha still work?
Are Moon bases possible?
Will NASA build a moon base?
Moonbase Alpha Game - NASA
www.nasa.gov › offices › education › programs › national › ltp › games
May 13, 2011 · A 3-D Immersive NASA Exploration Game ... Step into the role of an explorer in a futuristic lunar settlement... Your mission is to restore ...
Moon Base | Tower Defense Simulator Wiki | Fandom
tds.fandom.com › wiki › Moon_Base
Moon Base is a map that takes place on the moon, as suggested by the name. It has been remade once since its addition to the game. The map is quite long, ...
Difficulty: Normal
Developer(s): Current - Bisyeet & SweetHiddenLove; Old - Bisyeet
Moonbase Alpha (video game) - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Moonbase_Alpha_(video_game)
Moonbase Alpha is a video game that provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite, based on potential Moon base programs.
International MoonBase Alliance
moonbasealliance.com
He also owns HI-SEAS, a 1,200 square-foot Mars habitat where six crew members live in Mars-like conditions for up to 12 months to realistically simulate ...
In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 8 already displayed. If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

www,moonwards.com is the one I was thinking of ... There are several interviews with the leader of Moonwards on The Space Show with Dr. Livingston

Moonwards – Realistic virtual lunar town
www.moonwards.com
This Game Evolves ... Moonwards exists to deliver a gut level understanding of our future in space and all it will mean. It will evolve as it connects with the ...
Moonwards: making our future on the Moon - Space Settlement ...
spacesettlementprogress.com › moonwards-making-our-future-on-the-moon
Aug 3, 2021 · Then, that can be contributed back to Moonwards and we can adapt it so the game is a better simulation. It can become a virtuous cycle.
Moonwards demo now on line – the future is for making - Space ...
spacesettlementprogress.com › moonwards-demo-now-on-line-the-future-is...
Dec 22, 2020 · Moonwards is a technically realistic simulation of a settlement on the Moon called Moontown. It's a 3d virtual environment you can explore ...
moonwards1/Moonwards-Virtual-Moon Wiki
github-wiki-see.page › moonwards1 › wiki › Moonwards-Game-Summary
Moonwards is an artistic simulation of realistic future space development. It communicates what the future has in store by making players part of a complete ...
Moonwards | The Space Show
www.thespaceshow.com › moonwards
Guest: Kim Holder; Topics: Revisions for Moonwards, investors, publishing, lunar simulation, Moon Town as an industry town, the business plan competition, ...
Moonwards and massive collaboration | The Space Show
www.thespaceshow.com › moonwards-and-massive-collaboration
Guest: Kim Holder; Topics: Revisions for Moonwards, investors, publishing, lunar simulation, Moon Town as an industry town, the business plan competition, ...
Moonwards | LinkedIn
www.linkedin.com › company › moonwards
Moonwards | 36 followers on LinkedIn. Building a simulation of an advanced lunar town, where players add on and share the experience of exploring our future ...
Moonwards Demo Show Reel on Vimeo
vimeo.com › Moonwards › Videos

Feb 15, 2021 · This is a new promo video for the pre-alpha release of our simulation of a town on the moon. It ...
Duration: 1:15
Posted: Feb 15, 2021
moonwards1/Moonwards-Virtual-Moon - GitHub
github.com › moonwards1 › Moonwards-Virtual-Moon
Towns on the Moon built with Godot and Blender. (git-lfs enabled) - GitHub - moonwards1/Moonwards-Virtual-Moon: Towns on the Moon built with Godot and ...
Moonwards Docs
readthedocs.org › projects › moonwards-docs
Official documentation on how to collaborate on the Moonwards virtual space settlements. Repository. https://github.com/moonwards1/moonwards-docs. Project Slug.

If RobertDyck were to look for people who could build a 3D Version of Large Ship, there would appear to be a few supporting Moonwards.com

(th)

#1990 2022-02-15 07:26:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1988

For the work situation ... we've discussed this before.  You appear to be using a spreadsheet with manual input to try to corral a number of different data processing systems.  This method will certainly work, but I offer (again) the suggestion of using database software (with the help of a data base specialist) to pull data from all the sources you have to deal with, and let software make all the necessary adjustments and match ups at the speed of light.

WBA is an example of a program that pulls data from a source, works on the data, and puts it back.

In your case, the program would read the data from all those sources, make conversions or matches as needed, and present the results in a reliable set of tables that can be consulted by an operator to obtain needed information.

The data in the sources is fixed and will not change.

The rules to match up data are fixed and do not change.

There is no reason that I can see to perform manual operations, except that you have not yet received funding to hire a database specialist who can help you create a permanent solution to this mess.

(th)

#1991 2022-02-15 08:02:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair initiative ..

A Trail Breaker run to 23,100 will start now

Trail Breaker reached 23,100 with a Green Screen

Completed Sequence for ID: 23100

Starting Number: 22801

Last Number of Run: 23100

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-15-2022 at 12:49:45

Total time of Processing: 02:55:53

Two skips ...

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 22943

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 23099

Both posts had the image inside url problem.

Starting a re-scan to 10100 now.

Note to SpaceNut ... Mars Society web site went down briefly a few minutes before 1 PM EST.

It came up a few minutes later.  An event like that would cause WBA to halt due to disappearance of the web site.

The re-scan was stopped at 9800 to free up bandwidth for a Zoom meeting.

There were two skips...

Completed Sequence for ID: 9800

Starting Sequence for ID: 9801

Number of ID's processed: 500

Starting Number: 9301

Last Number of Run: 10100

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-15-2022 at 18:12:59
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:36

Total time of Processing: 04:57:56

Total time Program was Active: 04:58:01

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 9696
Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 9719

Both of these were image inside url situations.

The Zoom meeting is over, so i'll start the second phase of a re-scan to 10100 now.

*** Uplate the next day .... the run proceeded to 10100 without problems...

Completed Sequence for ID: 10100

Starting Number: 9801

Last Number of Run: 10100

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-16-2022 at 06:54:49
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:34

Total time of Processing: 02:52:44

There were no skips ... we appear to have a solid set of posts through 10,100

A Trail Breaker run to 23400 will start shortly.

(th)

#1992 2022-02-15 19:53:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its the government so that is going to be a no so we need to do it internally by doing the data pulls from the existing to make the new data base from the information while creating the application view required to do the work from the data. My self I am doing the hard work to show how to lace the data to produce the desired output formats from the data.

#1993 2022-02-16 06:20:05

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1992 .... In a data processing project in a civilian organization, you would be doing the difficult and important work of collecting all the existing data and procedures that need to be automated.

In a civilian organization, someone with project management skills would lead the team.  You appear to be in position to fill that role, if it were a civilian organization.

In order for the data base designer to know what data to plan for, that person would need all the information you have been collecting.  That person would imagine tables of data that would reside in a new database, and relationships between each piece of data and others.

In a civilian project team, a developer of software would work with the database designer to imagine a set of computer procedures that would collect data from scattered sources, store it in the appropriate records with the appropriate indexes, and perform calculations needed to produce the required integrated output.

Since your customer is a government agency, it may not be possible to assemble such a team.  An alternative is for you to obtain all the needed skills. 

Best wishes for success with what sounds like an ambitious undertaking!

(th)

#1994 2022-02-16 10:26:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair initiative...

A Trail Breaker run to 23400 completed after the halt reported earlier.

Completed Sequence for ID: 23400

Number of ID's processed: 284

Starting Number: 23117

Last Number of Run: 23400

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-16-2022 at 11:24:28

Total time of Processing: 02:48:12

There were no skips in today's Trail Breaking run. Date of Trail Breaking run: 2003/12.

A Re-scan to 10900 will begin shortly and run for (about) 9 hours.

Completed Sequence for ID: 10900

Starting Number: 10101

Last Number of Run: 10900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-16-2022 at 20:14:23
9 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 08:29:40

9 Skips:

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10187

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10237

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10320

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10334

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10341

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10575

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10587

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10598

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 10810

All of these were image / url situations, except 10810 which was a pothole

(th)

#1995 2022-02-17 09:43:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair initiative ...

A Trail Breaker run to 23700 is in progress ...

I note that in this time period, a fracas of some kind was going on.... Palomar said that (whatever it was) called for the attention of  Moderator

In the time period of focus, a non-technical member brought up the idea of using a lever to toss payloads into orbit.  If anyone is interested in seeing the discussion, search for catapult.  I'd suggest trebuchet, but someone chose ** that ** as a login name.  Trebuchet registered in 2004 and contributed 419 posts.

Even a search for catapult yields too many results ... there are 6 pages of results, starting with kbd512 and electromagnetic catapults.

Zooming to the end of the 6 pages, I found RobertDyck, with a post 2002-10-29 about a magnetic catapult.

So we have 6 pages of results, with magnetic catapults at both ends.

In the middle somewhere is a member talking about the catapults built by Greeks and Romans (and others).  That member explored the mathematics of using a catapult (swing arm/trebuchet) to launch payloads to orbit.  The member I am reporting did not have (or rather, ** appear ** to have) any exposure to engineering or properties of matter.  Using pure mathematics, the member computed a swing arm of 80 meters, a short arm of 2 meters, and a mass in the hundreds of thousands of tons to toss a ton of payload into orbit.

The run to 23700 completed without incident...

Completed Sequence for ID: 23700

Starting Number: 23401

Last Number of Run: 23700

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-17-2022 at 13:05:53

Total time of Processing: 02:56:51

Skips:

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 23638 image inside url

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 23639 image inside url

A re-scan will start now ... 10901-11700

The re-scan just ended with a green screen. however, there were 22 skips.

Completed Sequence for ID: 11700

Starting Number: 10901

Last Number of Run: 11700

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-17-2022 at 21:57:10
22 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 08:24:56

Total time Program was Active: 08:25:05

Completed Sequence for ID: 10914
Completed Sequence for ID: 11067
Completed Sequence for ID: 11069
Completed Sequence for ID: 11078
Completed Sequence for ID: 11089
Completed Sequence for ID: 11102
Completed Sequence for ID: 11119
Completed Sequence for ID: 11147
Completed Sequence for ID: 11180
Completed Sequence for ID: 11182
Completed Sequence for ID: 11192
d Sequence for ID: 11266
d Sequence for ID: 11439
d Sequence for ID: 11609
d Sequence for ID: 11619
d Sequence for ID: 11621
d Sequence for ID: 11658
d Sequence for ID: 11659
d Sequence for ID: 11661
d Sequence for ID: 11664
d Sequence for ID: 11672
d Sequence for ID: 11681

22 items need to be manually inspected.  I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Update next day at 9:33 local time: All 22 items were reviewed... some were image/url mix,  and the rest were potholes.

A Trail Breaker to the next 300 marker is in progress

(th)

#1996 2022-02-17 19:28:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

reply for post 1993
Today I started teaching another how to create from the incompatible programs outputs excel data to make them into access data base and why we are doing what we are doing with the data pulls to excel since these have non conforming data patterns that must be fixed first before importing into the data base with pushes of new data daily to keep the information fresh to the latest status.
This will allow others to take the daily functions to that next level to assure we can go on with its schedule rather than a constant churn which makes the kitting of materials for the work just in time or late for use in order to keep the churn to a lesser amount by better forecasting.

Nice to see that the information we have in the topics relate to current discussions.

#1997 2022-02-17 19:41:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1996

Can the data you're pulling be obtained electronically?

I'm assuming right now everything is being done with paper.

If you can persuade management to let you have the data in electronic form, then you can write scripts (or programs) to pull the data, massage it as needed for the Access database, and push it right into the database in the correct format, while writing a log file showing exactly what it did for debugging and audit purposes.

Depending upon the capability of your helper, that person might be able to think about how to automate the manual process you are teaching.

The twenty years of NewMars is likely to contain multiple discussion of the exact same topics, with only the personnel changing from one year to the next.

PS ... SQL is far more powerful and reliable than Access, and my recollection is that Microsoft allows you to use the software for free, up to some large number of bytes ... I'm thinking on the order of 2 Gb.

(th)

#1998 2022-02-17 20:19:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Each of the programs do give the data electronically in different web based views and I do know that some might even save it in an msql system but we do not have direct access to the sources of the information. We can only get them to be is one form as you noted by running scripts to automate that function. Writing scripts to alter the data can also be done once you have a fresh pull to correct the column field formats where they conflict.

Importing the data into the form we create for the common fields use makes it possible to bring different uses of the data forward at that point. These functions are schedule timing based so that we have multiple reviews of status to correct issues so that when it gets to that last block which is kitting that all materials are ready for use to be gathered together for the kit with no missing or back ordered items.

The initial review is is at least 3 months before the date to make use of it in the work so it allows all but long lead time items to come in and know all that we are missing at that point to be early identified and reviewed for the use time to arrival of it. If that can not occur from the initial order then others are tasked to see if it can be bought from other vendors which can meet the schedule.

Next is a 1 month re-review of the notes made 3 months ago to see if the new update of data to see if the new data has met the conditions of now being available for the kit and if its no we still have 2 more weeks before that kit is built. We can either delay that work date in the schedule if that helps with when we need the material or the choice can be made to go ahead since the work may take several months to complete which still gives the coming part time to arrive still within the work duration.

The current system is a manual check for the status data so making it a smart review system will reduce the man hours to perform that function greatly.

The main thing is changing the mind set that we have always done it that way by showing that this is not only better but gives the ability to save money as well as reduce the churn of the work schedule which also reduces the cost to do the work as well.

#1999 2022-02-18 06:29:23

tahanson43206

Each of the programs do give the data electronically in different web based views

You mean you (or your helper) are reading information on web screens and typing the data into Excel?

WBA is a program that reads data from a web screen and pulls it into memory for study and change if needed.

WBA then posts the results back to the source, because that is the customer requirement.

In your case, the program could pull data from the screen, format it for delivery to a destination, and deliver it to the desired destination.

Such a destination could be an Access data base (very weak) to to an SQL Server database (much stronger) or to MySQL (used by FluxBB).

Some time ago, kbd512 brought to our attention a screen scraper program that is commercially available.

That program is available for free for evaluation, if the organization making the request uses a corporate email address.

The idea of manually scraping screens to obtain data seems .... poised for automation.

(th)

#2000 2022-02-18 08:35:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ...

The 22 skips reported yesterday have been visited and manually corrected if necessary.

A new run to the next 300 marker is in progress.

Today's Trail Breaker to 24000 finished with a Green Screen.

Completed Sequence for ID: 24000

Starting Number: 23701

Last Number of Run: 24000

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-18-2022 at 12:12:25

Skipping to Next Item
Completed Sequence for ID: 23748 << image in url ... corrected

A re-scan from 11701 to 12500 will begin now...

The re-scan through 12,500 completed with a Green Screen.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12500

Starting Number: 11701

Last Number of Run: 12500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 02-18-2022 at 21:06:56

Total time of Processing: 08:31:45

Total time Program was Active: 08:45:26

http://newmars.com/forums/edit.php?id=11701