New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1801 2021-12-04 08:17:22

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative ... a run to 1200 is under way.

The WebRunlog of 12-02-2021 was 484277 bytes.  Is your email able to receive that size?

Also... I sent to the email you set up for NewMarsMember portal.  Could that be different from your regular email?

Do you want me to try sending again?

The logs contain detailed information about Bandits found and processed, as well as before and after images of each post.

Update at 11:28 local time ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 1200

Total Command Lines found: 34
Total input Lines in script: 94

Number of ID's processed: 300

Starting Number: 901

Last Number of Run: 1200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 12-04-2021 at 11:27:27
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:29

Total time of Processing: 02:25:07

Total time Program was Active: 02:42:56

(th)

#1802 2021-12-04 12:04:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

Large file size - emails can't exceed 25MB, if you need to attach a file over 25MB use the option to share files from Google Drive or Dropbox.
So that is not the problem...

Went via web access and there is no emails hung in the inbox so we must have a fat fingering issue.

Its ok I can still spot check and all looks good so far.

#1803 2021-12-04 13:15:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1802

NewMarsMember has a Dropbox account. However, you mentioned Google Drive, and since I don't know anything about that, please set up a Google Drive so that NewMarsMember * gmail.com can deliver files there.

For whatever reason, Google appears to be sending the file to your NewMarsMember email address, but not delivering.  GW Johnson ran into something like that.  Google Drive might be a workable alternative.

Update at 22:45 local time:  Our new member appears to have succeeded in acquiring the new ID!
Login time shows as today: Last visit: Today 13:48:10

(th)

#1804 2021-12-05 08:12:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new member and Google Drive capability ....

Please create a capability for NewMarsMember * gmail.com to store a file in Google Drive account.  I have no idea how to do that, and would like to learn what is possible. 

Our new member (daGeck0) has signed in!  I took a few minutes to see what topics might have been created in the Life Support Index level relating to suits (EVA/Space).  There were five topics that seemed to be related:

MIT Mars Bio Suit by LiveForever [ 1 2 ]
Which type of fabric would be feasible to produce on Mars?
Habitat air by RobertDyck [ 1 2 3 ]
Spacesuits - Its about time we came back to them by Grypd
PROTOTYPE MARS SUIT by fabiosau

I think it would be best if daGeck0 creates a topic rather than one of us doing so.

(th)

#1805 2021-12-05 08:24:53

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re warfare

I don't think this forum has an index topic where discussion of warfare is appropriate.

As a follow up to the discussion between your Mom and kbd512, I would like to point out another powerful driver of warfare!

Fear!

There is news in the Internet feeds this morning, that an ancient (ca 15 BC) battle site was discovered in Switzerland.

A Roman force was apparently involved in conflict with the natives of the region.

An officer's dagger was discovered, and later a good number of other artifacts of the Roman expedition were uncovered, including a coin minted ca 20 BC.

My only explanation for why there would have been conflict in such a location is fear. 

A force of natives must have objected to the arrival of strangers on their turf.

The battle has otherwise been forgotten, although there may be some written records somewhere.

The point I want to make is that while your Mom objected vigorously to war making, neither you neither you or she are going to be able to prevent the swirls of fear that sweep through human populations that lead to it.

There are good reasons (for example) to fear that Putin is about to invade Ukraine.

There are good reasons to fear that Chairman Xi is highly likely to invade Taiwan.

The ** only ** force on Earth that ** might ** deter either of these gents from acting on their impulses is the US Military.

And the ** only ** deterrent against either of these gents is the absolute certainty they would suffer unacceptable damage if they act on their impulses.

A weak military is NOT going to have a deterrent effect on human beings of that caliber.

The US military is currently experiencing some stress for a variety of reasons, so the strength of the deterrent is perceived to be weakening.

If you do not want your large ship boarded by pirates while it is in LEO, I'd advise you to ask for the protection of the US military, or if you are so inclined, you might ask for protection from the Russian or Chinese military forces.

Absent one of those three standing in your behalf, your venture will not long remain in your hands.

(th)

#1806 2021-12-05 13:16:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair initiative ... the run to 1200 seems to have succeeded...

Completed Sequence for ID: 1500

Starting Number: 1201

Last Number of Run: 1500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 12-05-2021 at 14:07:52

Total time of Processing: 02:28:19

Total time Program was Active: 04:07:44

EOJ Msg#1: Successful Run. No Warning Errors.

As reported earlier, I am only checking the last post in the log.  If it looks "normal" then i'm assuming the entire run was successful.

If you were to set up a Google Drive capability for NewMarsMember * gmail.com, then I can deliver the logs directly from the laptop.  As it is, I have to write the file to a USB stick, and feed that into the Chromebook used for NewMarsMember activities.

A Google Drive capability would be quite useful, if you can figure out how to set it up.

(th)

#1807 2021-12-05 20:37:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

This is a report on my experiment with the Zoom session that went awry!

Everything was going well, with kbd512, GW Johnson and RobertDyck hard at work on Large Ship, when I tried to set up an audio broadcast connection on another computer.  I should have left well enough alone!

The Ubuntu system wanted an update to Zoom, and somehow in the process, I managed to pull "host" status away from the Chromebook and then Zoom stopped the entire session because it didn't like what it was dealing with.

I'm still not sure what happened, but when I was trying to restore service, Zoom asked me if I wanted to reclaim Host, ... I said yes and magically the Pro session resumed.  Kbd512 and RobertDyck came back online immediately, but I'm not sure if GW Johnson was able to reconnect.

I'll be hesitant to try ** that ** again!

Noticed your report on using the Prius as a backup power supply for the house....

Do you have to buy an adapter to be able to do that?

Final note ... the discussion of Large Ship was ** really ** getting interesting when I caused the outage.

The recording should be available if you ask Mr. Burk for a link.

To get to the Large Ship discussion, advance the recording to about one hour in.

(th)

#1808 2021-12-05 20:56:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Saw the reports of the zoom session and the radio experiment.. neat to see if others would want to hear a podcast version for sure.

Short of making the adapter cable and buying the inverter to make pure sine wave ac its a possibility so long as the fuel in the car last its something that can work in a pinch. In the same token if you want to use less gas you set up solar panels to charge that same battery to make use of it rather than the gas...

A replacement battery is around $1500 with a core being turned in so if you find a vehicle you can pull the parts from the vehicle and you are on the way to making your own power.

We could also run the vehicle once converted on hydrogen that could be solar produced as well and stored in the large LP tanks.

These are all options to explore.

Cleared some more Bandits...

#1809 2021-12-05 21:02:58

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1808 ... congratulations on work on the Bandits!

It'll be a while before I get to the date when you joined, so it is possible you'll have cleared a lot of those little critters before then.

I'll keep reminding you of the Google Drive idea, because it sounds as though it might be helpful in the future.

I have never implemented Google Drive, or Ubuntu's One Drive equivalent ... I have set up Dropbox and indeed, we ** have ** one for NewMarsMember, but GW Johnson cannot use it because his wife set up a Dropbox account and that is what opens when it connects to Dropbox.

If you are (somehow) successful in configuring Google Drive so it can be used for delivery of files from NewMarsMember, then I can deliver the log files direct to that location from the laptop.

(th)

#1810 2021-12-05 21:06:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new subject for Zoom...

Is there anyone at Mars Society who would be willing to help diagnose the problem we ran into this evening?

With all his responsibilities, Mr. Burk is probably not going to be able to spend any time on it.

If you can (somehow) find a person who is familiar with the Pro version of Zoom, I could use some coaching.

The issue may be that I was using the same IP address for more than one session, but that is only a guess.

The problem arose when I attempted to create a third session from the same IP address.

The first two sessions did NOT cause a problem, but when I set up the audio/radio session, Zoom decided to pull the plug on everyone.

(th)

#1811 2021-12-05 21:20:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have never used "Google Drive which is a file storage and synchronization service developed by Google. Launched on April 24, 2012, Google Drive allows users to store files in the cloud," about all I know is that it is on most android available cell phones as an app.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Drive

#1812 2021-12-05 22:20:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1811

Thanks for explaining that Google Drive was offered as an idea, and not as a solution.

After thinking about the situation a bit, I realized that in the past (ie, ca 2011 or so) I was involved in sharing data among online workers.

Someone set up a Google documents account of some kind, and we were able to co-edit the documents.  the person who set up the account was able to admit folks by email name, and he was able to give each participant various levels of editing privilege.

That ** might ** work, if I could remember how to do it.

In this case, all we want to do is to upload text files so you can see them.

(th)

#1813 2021-12-06 09:26:23

tahanson43206

This post is reserved for status of today's run to 1800.
The run is under way at 10:26 local time.

Completed Sequence for ID: 1800

Starting Number: 1501

Last Number of Run: 1800

Summary for Web Automation Report for 12-06-2021 at 15:16:08

Total time of Processing: 02:25:22

(th)

#1814 2021-12-06 09:41:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut --- this post is reserved for exploration of Google Drive (or Google Documents) ... they may be the same thing.

The objective of the investigation is to see if (whatever it is) can serve as a shared file repository.

There is also something called "github" that is popular with professional programmers for file sharing.  I've been reluctant to investigate it because it seems to want to put a duplicate of the repository on a local machine.

I'm open to learning how we might be able to use "github" if anyone has the time and energy to show the way.

Update at 11:05 local time ...

OK SpaceNut ... I ** think ** Google Drive sent an invitation to the email you set up for NewMarsMember.

Please let me know if the transfer succeeded.

FYI ... Google complained that you did not provide a Google account, but it says it sent the file anyway.

Update at 15:24 local time ... the laptop is running Windows XP and has a correspondingly old version of Chrome. Unfortunately for the Google Drive idea, it is denied access to Google Drive. The USB stick method of file delivery would still work, but obviously that is not as convenient as simply sending the log file directly to a cloud service.

(th)

#1815 2021-12-06 09:49:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new member daGeck0 ....

As often happens when someone joins an organization, the new member arrives with a fresh perspective that inevitably results in an understanding of everything that is wrong with the existing structure and procedures, and with hundreds if not thousands of ideas to improve things.

Ok ... maybe just dozens ...

Please be prepared for new ideas and suggestions as they appear.

Under your leadership, we have made some changes in both structure and procedure.  I'm confident that we can improve both without losing whatever magic allows this ethereal entity to keep going.

Speaking of magic ... I am ** really ** amazed to look in on the Zoom sessions that are continuing into multiple hours of discussion of Large Ship and other topics.  Last night the Zoom host session was still lit up at 2 AM local time, six hours after the start.  No one was present, so the last person would have signed out less than 40 minutes previously. The session would have lasted five hours and change.

Something like that is simply NOT possible with text-only correspondence, important as that is for setting the stage for progress.

(th)

#1816 2021-12-06 20:15:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Still nothing in the email in box for yahoo.com

As for forum changes these must be installed on the server and costumed at the server for these to be done.
I have not any server access.
I was told to make no forum format changes to its current structure by the Web Admin for the site.

#1817 2021-12-06 20:53:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re file delivery quandry ....

Google complained that I was trying to send the invitation to a non-Google account.

Do you have a gmail account?  If you do, please send it via private email to NewMarsMember.

As a reminder, this forum is open to the entire Internet so actual emails should ** never ** be published here.

I'd recommend deleting the email address from Post #1816.

Thanks for continuing to work the problem with me!

I had no idea what you were talking about in Post #1816.  To my knowledge, no one is talking about software changes.

The changes you have made ** are ** all procedural!  You have closed off registration by spammers, and (under your direction) we have set up an alternative way to bring new members into the forum.

We are working to improve the quality of the experience of visitors to the forum when reading older messages.

(th)

#1818 2021-12-06 21:22:32

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

First, I just sent an invitation to view the Webrunlog to a member who has a gmail account.  I asked that member to let me know if the invitation arrives.

I'll let ** you ** know what happens.

Second ... I sent a note to daGeck0 to try to help him understand the Forum structure a bit better, so he might see a way to try out some of his ideas.

(th)

#1819 2021-12-07 08:14:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1818 and Google Drive investigation

As things stand, Google seems to think it has set up access to the Webrunlog owned by NewMarsMember.

It is telling me:

Owner (NewMarsMember)
Editor: GW Johnson
Editor: SpaceNut

I have just added daGeck0

If daGeck0 sees this message, please let me know if you receive notification from Google that you have edit access to the Webrunlog for 12-02-2021.

I did not intend for edit access to be awarded, but it doesn't hurt anything, so please feel free to add a note at the top of the file to show you were able to pull it up.  There appears to be a feature that allows comments to be added as well.  Please feel free to exercise that option, if you are so inclined.

It is coming back to me slowly ... I was working with a group on a document in 2011 ... it's been a while (obviously) but the mechanism's still appear to be in place.

For SpaceNut ... there may be a difference between access with a phone and with a computer.  If your local library has a modern computer, and if you can spare a bit of time to visit them, you might be able to work with the document even though you are using an email that is not gmail.

(th)

#1820 2021-12-07 12:29:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... today's run to 2100 appears to have completed without problems.

Completed Sequence for ID: 2100

Starting Number: 1801

Last Number of Run: 2100

Summary for Web Automation Report for 12-07-2021 at 13:24:46

Total time of Processing: 02:27:42

(th)

#1821 2021-12-07 12:40:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re file sharing via Google Drive ...

Bingo!

newmarsmember@gmail.com shared a document
Unknown profile photo
newmarsmember@gmail.com has invited you to edit the following document:
For Dr. Johnson ... please let me know if you receive this notice.
I am trying to find a way to get a file to SpaceNut. (th)
WebRunlog_12-02-2021_09-41-41_34901
Open

GW Johnson reported receiving the invitation and success opening the document!  Bravo! Thanks!

I also heard back from daGeck0

Yay! here is the same report from daGeck0
newmarsmember@gmail.com shared a document
Unknown profile photo
newmarsmember@gmail.com has invited you to edit the following document:
WebRunlog_12-02-2021_09-41-41_34901
Open

For SpaceNut ... if you continue to NOT receive the invitation at your non-gmail account, please create a suitable gmail account and notify NewMarsMember so we can try the file share.

(th)

#1822 2021-12-07 20:25:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am still being locked out of my old gmail account which I stopped using back a long long time ago...

Did get an email from daGeck0 and gave reply that I hope is what he expected.

#1823 2021-12-07 20:42:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re gmail account ... can you just create a new account, just for NewMarsMember connection?

Based on tests by GW Johnson and daGeck0, it appears the key is using a gmail account.

Update next day: For SpaceNut .... if I create a gmail account for you, will you use it?

If you don't like Google, you can limit your use of the account to picking up files from NewMarsMember.

Edit Wednesday at 12:26 local time.  Would you be interested in having the NewMars Google Investigation Team find out (if they can) what is going on with the account you had?  Since you are not the type of person who would bring down the Wrath of Google, there must be a technical explanation for the lockout.

I hereby open the floor to anyone who might wish to join the NewMars Google Investigation Team (NGIT).

If you want the investigation done, please do ** not ** post the email address on the forum. Instead, send it to NewMarsMember using your existing non-gmail account.

Results are NOT guaranteed! On the other hand, miracles ** can ** happen (even with Google).

(th)

#1824 2021-12-08 11:32:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... the run to 2400 appears to have gone smoothly.

The Webrunlog will be posted on NewMarsMember portal for viewing by NewMars members with working gmail accounts.

Completed Sequence for ID: 2400

Starting Number: 2101

Last Number of Run: 2400

Summary for Web Automation Report for 12-08-2021 at 12:22:52

Total time of Processing: 02:28:39

(th)

#1825 2021-12-08 12:43:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... daGeck0 has expressed interest in working on the data you've mentioned you'd like to recover from a crash.

The two of you can converse by private email, but I'm hoping you will use this topic to discuss what needs to be done, and how it might be done.

I get the impression daGeck0 has some fairly high level experience working with data of various kinds.

I have explained the work environment we have going.

If daGeck0 looks at the lost data ... *** and *** ... he decides it might be recoverable ...

Then we have to decide how to insert it into the forum database.

The records would necessarily be new records, but they could be inserted into topics created for them, so they don't interfere with the ongoing activities of members of the forum, or disturb the fluxBB procedures for working with the MySQL database.

(th)

Board footer