New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#901 2021-03-08 07:55:01

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

This post is reservied today's batch from 2901-3000 ... We are showing a User count of 18,121 heading into today's session.

We'll reach 19,000 in ten days if progress continues at the current rate.

The ** really dumb ** automation is working reliably at this point (with plenty of human audit to catch errors) but I'm looking for the next level of automation, with feedback at key steps.  A book on Windows Presentation Foundation was available at a city some distance away in the state where I live, but according to the local library web site, an inter-library loan request was submitted.  It is amazing (to me at least) that with modern technology (and a lot of hard work by developers) we can find an obscure book that is no longer available for sale, and have it delivered. 

I'm also working on moving the ID Recovery process off my main system and onto another one.

Edit#1 ... the run seemed to have gone OK ... there were no NOT VERIFIED in the results.

However, I don't have a way to confirm no ID's were missed altogether.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-08 15:16:03)

#902 2021-03-09 07:30:39

tahanson43206

This post is reserved for today's batch, which will be only 60, because SpaceNut created ID's in the 3000 series earlier.

3041-3100 is the target set.

Yesterday I added a second button to the WPF learning program, compiled it on a 32 bit machine and ran it on 64 bits using the latest Edge.  It ran without complaint.  This time I added a button to clear the text window that is filled by the first button. 

A book about how to program WPF is (hopefully) on it's way via Interlibrary loan. 

The key unknown (for me at this point) is whether it is possible for this software to interact with the remote website (NewMars.com in this case) like a human, with both Post and Get commands so there is feedback to examine after Post events.

I'm in the process of building a 64 bit development machine ... Hopefully a backup of the primary machine completed overnight.  If the backup completed I'll attempt a restore to the new machine today.

I'd like get this daily 3 hour job off the primary system.

With 19,000 ID's to process, this will take several months, even at 100 per day.

With the next level of automation (action+feedback) it might be possible to increase above 100 per day, depending upon reliability of the system.

Edit #1: Today's batch completed ... there were four ID's that did not complete the full process, so I completed them manually.

In reading a bit during the run, I found that there appears to be functionality added to .Net to support web calls from within ordinary desktop applications.  If I can get ** that ** to work, then a solution to the problem of wanting confirmation that an ID was completed before starting the next one may be within reach.  The "trick" I am imagining is to send a query to ask FluxBB if the ID in work has reached the Bans table.  What I'm trying to avoid is the deluge of data served by the FluxBB web site during even the simplest of transactions.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-09 10:51:16)

#903 2021-03-09 10:00:08

tahanson43206

This is for anyone who might know of an organization that is using spreadsheets for computer data processing instead of a data base.

https://codebots.com/continuous-moderni … -to-a-dbms

The article at the link above appears to be a starting point for a discussion about how a consultant might approach helping an organization to convert from user-created spreadsheets to an organization-sponsored database solution.

It appears to be quite common for organizations to develop spreadsheet solutions at the department level and then to face challenges at the organization level when a variety of spreadsheets are brought into contact with each other.

The solution is to invest in Information Technology, and for many organizations that means hiring a consulting firm to help gather the myriad facts about all the separate data processing activities and then to help design a comprehensive solution that not only meets the immediate needs of the departments, but also positions the organization for continued growth.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-09 10:00:45)

#904 2021-03-09 20:51:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Took care of the what seemed like it would never end batch of ids from 2901-3000 and 3041-3100 groups for the unban and move to the user list....

#905 2021-03-09 21:23:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #904

Thanks for taking care of the ID's to date!

Would it help to move at a slower pace?

Are there times your schedule would welcome a break?

If we stay with 100 a day, we'll polish off the Not Verified by the end of the month.

At that point you can decide what you want me to work on next.

I'm assuming the Users who never posted are worth considering, but not all of those folks are spammers.

On the other hand, if a person has not posted in a year, it seems to me reasonable to suppose they have gone on to other interests.

Void's been heading in a creative new direction recently!

(th)

#906 2021-03-10 08:46:38

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

I'll plan today's run from 3101 to 3200 .... if you would prefer that I move at a slower pace please let me know!

Today's run seemed to go smoothly ... there were no unfinished items.  I did not have a way to see if there are any missing.

The correspondence from Noah is encouraging, and I hope he decides to complete the two little essays.

As noted in the Recruiting topic, if you can find a minute or two, please copy the two essay questions that I put into a message to Noah and paste them in Post 1 of the Recruiting topic (as near the top as makes sense).

What I'm trying to do is to make it as easy as possible for a candidate to find them. 

This is because we do not currently have the ability to change the text in our Registration page.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-10 16:11:14)

#907 2021-03-10 19:21:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was very tired the other day as the night before had only gotten 2 hours of sleep and was really dragging after a day of work, a 3 hour class with final test that had to be passed to keep doing certain types of work....

Manually doing the larger quantity will of course take longer but if we give up we will not get it done...
will get to them in a bit...

Started process on id's 03101 - 3200 at 9:00 and am just now finishing the unban plus move to the user list with verifies... now at 9:30 when the post is being made

#908 2021-03-10 22:08:32

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #907

When you have something like that to deal with, please do not hesitate to have me hold up. 

And, as a follow up ... bearing in mind I can only do Moderator things... is there anything more I can add to the script to make your work easier?  I'm guessing not or I think you would have already told me, but am asking just to cover all bases.

I'm encouraged by Noah's continued interest in the forum, and hope he decides to continue.

(th)

#909 2021-03-11 07:24:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ....

This post is reserved for today's batch, from 3201 to 3300

Get some sleep!  Good Grief!

The forecast for the grand total for User ID's changes as the total updates on the main page, and the query results fall.

The current forecast is 19,580, based on today's main page report of 18,280 and the query result of 26 pages of 50.

I think it is reasonable to project that the final total will be between 19,550 and 19,580. 

Edit#1: The run completed with just one Not Verified remaining. That implies (to me at least) that the current timing is about right.

As usual, what I ** don't ** know is whether any ID's are missing altogether.

I'm encouraged by Noah's continued interest.  Hopefully his mini-essay answers will be available for review soon.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-11 13:03:44)

#910 2021-03-11 20:15:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think I got them all for the group 3201 to 3300 unbanned and moved to the user list.

I am  still tired tonight but will turn in early. Temperature in the house since its been warmer is now up to 58"F which will making sleeping a bit easier as I will be worrying less about all of the others that might be cold.

The stimulus will be here is a week or so to invest into repairs and other such things that will bring the home back to a better condition before next winter can happen.

#911 2021-03-12 05:39:09

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #910 and topic ...

Thanks for taking care of the latest group!  The new grand total is 18,380!

This post is reserved for the next run to 3400. 

Glad to hear the temperature in the house is up a bit from 42!  There are surely others around the country who are appreciative of the assistance so badly needed by so many.  I saw a letter-to-the-editor yesterday, suggesting to those who do NOT need the help, that they consider donating it to those more in need.  Human nature being what it is, I doubt many will respond to that suggestion.

In my own case, I'll be making long deferred repairs as well, and thus putting the stimulus immediately into the economy.

A while back we were discussing the possibility there might be geothermal heat available in your area if you dig down far enough.  Yesterday I found a report in the Yahoo news feed about recently published research on the nature of the inner core of the planet (Earth).  Researchers pulled data from thousands of earthquake recordings to try to glean hints as to the nature of the core.  They ** think ** they've uncovered evidence there is a solid inner-inner core, above which there is a (slowly) swirling mass of molten metal.  The temperatures estimated for that layer were on the order of 9000 degrees, although I failed to note which temperature scale was in use. Because this was an International study I expect the scale was Celsius.

My point is that there is plenty of heat available from the Earth itself, if humans are able to dig down far enough.

Since this forum is about Mars, there is even the possibility something similar is happening there, although the absence of earthquakes suggests the total heat available there is much less.

In the case of Earth, (and as discussed in this forum in the past), the movement of the molten metal in the middle core of Earth may (probably does) contribute to generation of the magnetic field that protects life on the surface.

Edit#1: Today's run seemed to go well ... there were no half completed ID's.

Hoping you're catching up on sleep, and that you passed the exam.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-12 15:48:28)

#912 2021-03-13 07:12:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

This post is reserved for today's batch: 3401-3500

Hoping your weekend goes well. 

(th)

#913 2021-03-13 10:49:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just getting started on the unban and initial check shows first 100 to be complete for all numbers but the next group is missing some.

Will see which of them that they are and report which are missing.

Still tired but have gotten more sleep as today was not a work day and had gone to sleep earlier yesterday.

Over night temps did drop in the house to 52 but its still ok since its a sunny day where it should warm up a bit.

Edit
First 100 are complete for group 3301 to 3400 for unban and move to user list.

Need to take care of rubbish removal to towns what was a dump/landfill but is now just dumpsters that takes the contents to another location. Cost is $1.50 per bag so the recyclable items are removed and collected to when they will begin taking them again once more as they had been doing single stream for these and have now stopped the practice as it was costing the town money rather than earning from these items.

Edit 2
Thanks for chasing those missing but we were still missing id 3408 and 3432 but they have been taken care of all are now in the user list for the group 3400 to 3500

Dump run cost me 10.50 this week...Local companies that do the dumpster which are picked up some weekly or bi-weekly for the months are in the 150 price tag so I am ahead of the game doing it myself...

#914 2021-03-13 11:42:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... thanks for completing yesterday's batch!

Glad to hear you're starting to catch up on sleep!

Today's run had a number of drop outs midway through.  I found and fixed them.  My guess is the Internet is running slower than usual because it is a weekend and (possibly) there may be more traffic on the Mars Society web sites for the same reason.

In any case, I have (presently) no way of knowing if there any full dropouts, so would appreciate your keeping a watch for them.

Nice to see the Forum showing so much interest!

(th)

#915 2021-03-13 14:52:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... I used TestID03499 for Noah's new ID.

For some reason, 3500 is still in the Ready-for-Spacenut queue ...just FYI.

(th)

#916 2021-03-13 15:59:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds good as I am in cellphone mode at this point and not sure why...

#917 2021-03-13 20:12:55

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #916 ...

Hope your  cell-phone holds up until you're back to the laptop.

I'll proceed with the next batch tomorrow, with the exception that I'll add 3499 back, for a grand total of 102 ID's in the Bans table.

(th)

#918 2021-03-14 07:14:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re (surprise) note in Today on Mars topic ...

I am sadden that I have not heard back from those that could do more from this topics content to create means for the society to generate funding for larger projects.
Thank you for its continued input into it and we will keep our fingers crossed that something will come from it in time.

Thanks for keeping the idea in mind.  Mars isn't going anywhere (except where it's been going for millions of years).  Humans are literally "Johnny Come Lately" in this game. 

You may have noticed (or may not have, come to think of it) I've gotten behind in viewing the Convention videos.  The one I caught last night was about the intriguing (to me for sure) idea of trying (once again) to create a Utopia on Mars.  The presenter has lived in some experimental communities on Earth, and I was reminded of my visits to a commune early in my life.  My guess is that all such experiments are likely to remain small in scale, but the presenter reminded the audience of religion as a powerful force shaping the long-lived community structures based upon them.

Examples of communities established around the Earth, bound together by the powerful currents of a shared religion are abundant.

The audience asked a question about cults, and the presenter said that such structures are certainly a risk, because part of human nature is to fall into the thrall of a clever tyrant.  The United States came remarkably close to that happening on a massive scale recently.

The American expression "to drink the Kool-aid" comes from exactly that kind of cult, whose leader persuaded/commanded the mentally enthralled cult members to drink poison in homage to his insanity.

Such a community (and such leadership) seems to occur with regularity every generation, and in every culture.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-14 07:16:20)

#919 2021-03-14 13:34:58

Noah

Hello!!!
Thanks for the invitation. I hope for a great teamwork in the future!
I am very interested in Mars buildings, if you/ or if you know someone, feel free to send me a message.

#920 2021-03-14 15:56:35

tahanson43206

For Noah!  Thank you for joining the forum, and for posting your first message!

Following up on your interest in architecture on Mars, please take a look at the My Hacienda topic.

There is a list of specializations there, and one of them might be a good match for your interests.  Or we can create one that exactly matches the specialization you'd like to pursue.

(th)

#921 2021-03-14 15:58:45

tahanson43206

for SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

Today's run seems to have gone through without dropouts!  I'm surprised, because it ** is ** Sunday, and I would expect a heavy load on the Internet and on the Mars Society servers.

Best wishes for a successful and productive work week ahead!

(th)

#922 2021-03-14 18:39:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

Welcome Noah to Newmars and for the effort to bring a new member onboard.

Today was a long day of travel to visit son having a birthday for his mother. Got a good bump to the head by escapes door being blown open by the wind after pumping gas. Other than that it was a good day.
Now off to the new group of user accounts.

Completed 3499 to 3600 unban and move to userlist.

#923 2021-03-14 19:37:32

tahanson43206

for SpaceNut re #922

Thanks for your greeting to Noah!  And thanks for helping to make his admission possible!

Glad you survived another encounter with the Escape door ... this may be a different door ... I recall you reported something similar once before, in a situation with wind and the Escape.  I'm starting to think a long pole may be needed to keep that door from flapping.

Thanks for taking care of today's batch ... I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run ... due to baby sitting duty, I find I have three straight hours to work on projects without being distracted.  I have a little laptop to check the status of the run every few minutes, so can work anywhere in the building .

My next project is to try to recover saved data from a lost data base of another non-profit, started in 2000 and running through 2012 or so.

The Admin gave me the data in a backup form some time ago.  Today I ran a simple utility to try to pull elements out of the jumble, and the results look encouraging.  it'll still be a lot of work to reconstruct indexes, and to put content back into buckets.

It'll be a good warmup exercise for whatever you want done after the Not Verified are taken care of.

Here's an update on the advance of technology ...

It's been about five years since I built my list from-scratch system ... When I went to the local computer store today to pick up parts for a new build, I felt as though I was in a time warp.  None of the cases have openings for media.  Instead, they seem to all be fitted with big fans and fancy lighting systems.   The sales gent had to really dig in his inventory to come up with a system that still has openings for standard media (ie, CD drives) and it had two smaller bays for pop-out 2.5 inch media.  Fortunately I've ** at least ** made the transition to SSD drives, so I can use the pop-out slots with little SSD carriers I found.

Years ago I bought 10 system boards because I had gotten tired of boards only lasting seven years.  Today I was chagrined to learn that the CPU's that fit those boards are no longer sold, except on eBay as used equipment.

So now I'm going to shift to thinking about Mars ... the IT equipment for ** that ** environment had better NOT be morphing the way it seems to be doing on Earth.   The minicomputer design that Marc is working on ** ought ** to be maintainable by folks on site for a number of decades.  No doubt folks will be importing the latest and greatest nanotechnology from Earth on the frequent package delivery flights, but maintenance will be impossible for many years.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-15 07:20:36)

#924 2021-03-15 07:19:16

tahanson43206

This post is reserved for today's batch of ID's 3601-3700

Today's run will start late, due to a need for the computer where it runs until now.

SpaceNut ... just FYI ... the book I ordered through Inter-Library loan has arrived.... I'm hoping it contains the information I'm looking for to move the ID Recovery process from the Rube Goldberg setup in use now, to an all-in-one package.

The following items are being held for you at the library. Your timely pickup of these materials is appreciated.
WPF in action with Visual Studio 2008 / Arlen Feldman, Maxx Daymon.
Feldman, Arlen S.
Inn-Reach Books and Audio
SearchOhio 005.2768 Feld
K133508011171488
3/26/2021
--

Until that moment arrives, here goes another batch run ...

The run just completed ... there were no dropouts (that I could see).

Hopefully the entire series completed.

Thanks for working on these, when you get time!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-15 17:46:38)

#925 2021-03-15 17:47:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Are you talking the drupal coded php form the analog web journals or the old wiki of newmars.
Ya that was the rear hatch glass door which blew down before.

3601 to 3700 are completed and ready

Board footer