New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#876 2021-03-03 18:32:22

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re ...

a) Glad to hear the power is back!  Hoping it can help with the temperature a bit!

b) Thanks for taking care of the problems you found ... I'm mystified as to what's happening

I did manually add the ID you found from early ... I was doing onsy/twosy tests at that time, and must have missed the ID you found missing.

However, any ID's missing ** after ** that point should not be missing at all.

Today I began re-reading the book on Chromium Programming, this time with the idea in mind of seeing if the system could be adapted to perform an audit. The system is ** way ** over what would be needed for a simply audit, but it appears I'm going to have to wade through all the capabilities of the system to find the little section I need.

The existing program is still in enhancement mode ... I've queued up a set of updates to provide a Date: command, so the system can compute the date of the run instead of drawing it from the script file.  That ** may ** be in operation tomorrow, but certainly it should be there by Friday.

My relatives are writing/emailing that they are getting Covid shots ... I'm glad for them, but impatient for the dam to break locally.

Hoping all NewMars readers who want shots are able to get them soon!

Not sure if you're following Quaoar's topic, but I am impressed by the research he has done on interplanetary (extra-solar) travel.

(th)

#877 2021-03-03 21:13:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

completed id's 02401 to 02500 unban and move to user list   started at 9:50 pm and finished at 10:10 pm

#878 2021-03-03 22:15:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #877

Thank you for taking that 20 minutes to finish today's batch!

Hopefully they were error free this time. 

I started work on a Date command today, but didn't finish it ... the program is working fine without it, but I have to edit the script each day, so I'll add the Date command to eliminate that step.

In addition, I started working with Programming Chrome Apps ... I ** just ** finished a test run of a simple demo app to compute meters given feet.  The app ran in Edge under Windows 7, after I figured out how to run it, which was ** not ** the way the book suggested.  Six years have passed since the book was published, and Edge is a total re-write based on Chrome, so I'm amazed the app worked at all.

The learning curve is pretty steep.  I don't have a lot of confidence time invested here is worth while.

I found some sample code for other approaches with Google's help, and I'll look at those when time becomes available.

As a reminder, what I'm looking for is a simple audit tool to review the list of completed Test Id's and report any missing... FluxBB takes care of insuring there are no duplicates.

I noticed that you added a post in Quaoar's series about interplanetary ships ... your post reminded me of Dr. Forward's design, although it could also be interpreted as supporting Quaoar's vision.

This forum ** does ** generate some interesting ideas << grin >>

(th)

#879 2021-03-04 07:44:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #878 and ID Recovery endeavor

The total of Registered Users reached 17,611 yesterday.   I am looking for a grand total in the range of 19,000. 

We are now on track to finish the Not Verified ID's before the end of March.

This post is reserved for today's batch 2501-2600.

Starting a full 100 run at 9:54 local time.

The run completed a few minutes ago ... it is now 13:06 local time

The next version of the program will report total run time.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-04 12:06:37)

#880 2021-03-04 15:11:32

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... Dr. Lewis Dartnell's Knowledge Forum is still open (a tiny bit) to spam ...

He allows spammers to apply for admission, but never grants it ...

Here is the latest ... it is quite unusual because is is "slightly" appropriate ...

The UK is one of the top ten space power countries, and soon, it hopes to increase its influence in this market by opening more than one UK spaceport, more here https://orbitaltoday.com/.

The applicant chose the (fake) ID of MaliaHiggs ....

I wonder if orbitaltoday.com is a legitimate web site

(th)

#881 2021-03-04 18:27:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have not fixed missing TestID02541 and TestID02581 so you can ee if you pot the coding possible issues….

#882 2021-03-04 18:43:38

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #881

Thanks for reporting two more missing ID's ... I've been letting the process run unattended the past couple of days.  I have a portable laptop that I keep logged in so I can check progress wherever I am in the building, but since I only check every few minutes, I am missing hiccups like that.

There is so much wait time already built into the process, I have to assume that every now and then the server takes longer than the scheduled wait time of 5 seconds to get back with the next page. 

A better way of handling this is to provide for two-way interaction, so that the sending program only delivers the next set of data when confirmation arrives that the last transmission was completed.

Edit#1 ... mystery ... Info
Someone is already registered with the username TestID02541. The username you entered is too similar. The username must differ from that by at least one alphanumerical character (a-z or 0-9). Please choose a different username.
Go back

That ID is not in the Bans table, and it is not in the user table either.

Edit#2 ... Info
Someone is already registered with the username TestID02581. The username you entered is too similar. The username must differ from that by at least one alphanumerical character (a-z or 0-9). Please choose a different username.
Go back

OK ... I think those ID's may still be in the Not Verified table ... The hiccup may have occurred ** after ** the account was renamed, but before it could be banned properly!

Edit#3: ... SpaceNut ... I think you may have come along to help out << grin >> I was moving through fixing all the ID's that were still in the Not Verified table, when magically, they all went "poof" and they were not in the Bans table either.

Thanks!

So! Here is what I learned, and the changes I'll make ...

There needs to be a longer wait between the end of the first part of the process and the part that starts with the Ban operation.

The unfinished accounts were ALL still in the Not Verified table.  My guess is that due to a delay at the server, the operations that assumed the page to perform Bans was present were wrong.  My assumption (and hope) is that all those commands had no effect on the Bans table when it did show up.

However, the automated process got back on track with the Ctrl/L command, which started the next ID ...

The change I'll make is to increase the wait at the end of processing the first page.

In addition, I'll run a query to make sure there are no Test ID's in the Not Verified table!

In addition, it won't hurt to take an extra minute or two to make sure all the ID's in a batch are ** IN ** the Bans table.

Thanks again for catching the error(s)

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-04 19:55:14)

#883 2021-03-04 19:54:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Was able to get up to Id 02600 from whatever the starting point doing the unban and move to user list did check for missing and we are all good.

Well I am back on the cellphone until a replacement mouse and keyboard are purchased possibly after work.

#884 2021-03-04 19:56:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #883

Thanks !! I added some text to #882 about what happened and what I'm planning to do about it.

(th)

#885 2021-03-05 06:00:07

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID recovery ... today's run will be split into two sets of 50 ... the new times are in effect, so the run will take longer.

2601 - 2650 and 2651 - 2700

Edit#1: Observation: Practice does not (always) match plans ... I watched the browser under remote control closely after implementing the new longer waits at the laptop, and was taken aback to see them NOT show up!  Delays taking place at the Windows 7 machine during processing of tabs are swallowing up the delay introduced at the laptop.  The time consumed at the laptop is now over two minutes per loop, confirming that the delays are in effect there.

This is even ** more ** incentive to keep working on a true automation-with-feedback replacement for this simple-dumb-automation.

PS (while I'm thinking about it) ... there are two Test ID's in the 3000 series that are waiting for your final touches.

Edit#2: The first batch is finished ... one ID was not completed ... I completed the ban and it is now in the Bans table.

Edit#3: Starting second batch at 11:37 local time.

Edit#4: Second batch completed before 13:27 local time.  Average time per loop was 2:21 minutes.

Checking now for any non-completed ID's

OK! Inspection of the entire run shows there are none marked Not Verified.

FYI ... TextID01587 remains in the Bans table to be finished, if you have time.

The increased wait time, combined with a manual review of the completed ID's in the Not Verified query should reduce errors.

FYI (this is not a complaint ... just a report) The script is dependent upon the stability of the environment.  I had to clear the "Report" button this morning, in order to allow the (really-dumb-automated-procedure) to operate normally.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-05 12:34:03)

#886 2021-03-05 20:51:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

New keyboard and mouse installed with a tropical scene mouse pad....

Started in the banned list at 9:25 for ids 2601 through 2700 and finished the remove of ban by 9:45. The went to move to the user list and finished that at 9:50. Confirmed sequence count of ids were not missing any in the ban table and again in the user list at the end...

#887 2021-03-05 21:40:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #886

Glad you got that tropical scene mouse pad to help out with 41 degrees in the house !!!

Thanks for taking care of today's batch!  25 minutes is still a big chunk of your day, but now we're knocking out 100 at a time!

The new additional wait time seems to be helping. We only had one unfinished ID today. 

I spent some time today trying to make headway with the Chrome App book.  it was published in 2015, and now the example to get started doesn't work, and the application itself is filed on github.  I downloaded and unzipped the package, but now don't know how to install it. The link provided in the Readme no longer works (404 error). 

I think I'll go back to some examples from the Internet to see if any of them look worth exploring.

There's one (in particular) that can do web page scraping ... It might be able to find out if an ID has been updated.  If it can, then the next step would be to see if it can (somehow) communicate back to the laptop to tell it to send the next ID.

(th)

#888 2021-03-06 08:02:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery

This post is reserved for 2701-2800 ... will try a full 100 today ... will monitor using separate laptop

Starting shortly

Update at 12:04 local time ... All 100 are completed.  A handful did not complete all steps so they were manually finished.

Average time per ID: 2:22
Total time for run: 3:16:26

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-06 11:10:22)

#889 2021-03-06 12:25:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

https://www.oldapps.com/

http://www.oldversion.com/

missing id 02734 all others completed

#890 2021-03-06 14:03:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thanks for taking care of today's batch, and finding 2734 ...

As a reminder, here are three ID's in the Bans table that are outside the 2000 set we're working on now.

2734 was added.

Edit#1:

https://www.nhbr.com/is-geothermal-a-vi … ectricity/

The House Science Energy and Technology Committee recently recommended to the full House deem inexpedient to legislate House Bill 1691, which would have appropriated $106,731 to hire a full-time hydrogeologist to complete a geothermal assessment project and pay for associated costs.

While the committee said the bill “may be a valuable tool towards alternate energy production,” it noted that the Department of Environmental Services “could apply for federal funds for implementation of the project or otherwise include the implementation of the assessment project in the upcoming budget for DES.”

For SpaceNut ...

The emergency funding bill is on the cusp of passing ...

This might be a good time to see if the feds will fund that reseach initiative.

It is possible your community is sitting over a vent that could be tapped to provide power for the State, and tax revenue for the community, as well as lower cost electricity.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-06 19:48:20)

#891 2021-03-06 19:45:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Stimuli's bill passed but its going back to the house as it was modified by the senate for what would be a formality...

Completed corrections of the missing and extra in the next range....

With how much wind we have been having I am looking at what sort of turbine might work since the property can not support a large tower plus turning to catch the wind would also not be possible....

Subaru engine is just waiting for bay time to have it put back into the car....

edit
wind speed map
https://windexchange.energy.gov/files/u … nh_80m.pdf

looks like I am in a 5.0 meter/second area....
But being 80 meters in the air is quite a bit.....

https://www.nh.gov/osi/resource-library … tation.pdf

Now to look for a product that fits location and energy levels for cost....

#892 2021-03-06 19:55:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #891

I'm looking forward to receiving that $1400 ... The payments last year really helped! 

Thanks for taking care of those strays !!!

Is there a possibility your neighbors would agree to support a neighborhood mill?  There might be a combination of prospective customers and a vendor willing to take a chance on the option.  A mill site could be combined with solar panels and battery storage.

Best wishes for success re-installing the Subaru engine!  It would be good to see a picture of the working engine back in it's "home", at some point!

Just FYI ... I've made adjustments to the program to use a Date command instead of editing the script every day. I'm planning a test run with a series from 3032-3040.

Edit#1: The test seemed to go OK ... I'll return to a full run tomorrow.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-06 20:18:00)

#893 2021-03-07 07:11:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID recovery .... this post is reserved for today's batch from 2801-2900

Please note the test run in the 3000 series, completed last night to verify updates to the program are working.

I'll start the run shortly.

Later today I'm planning to pick up a piece of hardware to allow experiment with Microsoft Webview.

Google provides a number of citations about "webview microsoft" ...

Jun 15, 2020 · The WebView control shows web content in your Windows Forms or WPF desktop application. This is one of several wrapped Universal Windows ...

I am still pursuing a Web Browser Automation solution that provides "true" automation (with Feedback) ...

I ** did ** confirm last night that the WebBrowserAutomation program developed on a 32 bit machine runs properly on a 64 bit machine.  The key to success is the "universal" nature of the .Net Framework, which Microsoft developed to get away from "DLL Hell" which was a phase in the evolution of Microsoft thinking about software.  Thankfully we (humans who use Microsoft software) are past that unhappy time.

(th)

#894 2021-03-07 11:45:00

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

Just a reminder: TextID01587 is still in the Bans table, ready for your review

Today's run seems to have completed without errors.  However, I do not yet have an audit tool to run, so there might be one missing.

I took a look at something Microsoft calls Windows Presentation Foundation.  I opened a new project and it created a little web page with a button and a display window that runs under Internet Explorer on the development machine.

I did find this when I asked Google about WPF:

https://www.claudiobernasconi.ch/2019/0 … t-in-2019/

It is a big statement from Microsoft to move WPF to .NET core. In my opinion, this move shows that Microsoft continues to believe in the future of WPF as a UI framework for the .NET platform. They invest a lot of money into open-sourcing it and making it run on .NET core.

Apparently the feature is being supported, albeit as an Open Source package.

The nice thing (from my perspective) is that the Developer Environent creates html without errors, which I would not be able to do.

What I'm ** not ** clear on is whether this system can interact with a remote server.

More to learn, alas!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-03-07 11:45:47)

#895 2021-03-07 15:38:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

x not an s for user list name for the id as for why its there still. we also have it with the s in the user list already...will need to correct name and number before moving....
It took me a bit of time to find this missing testid02716...
All of the others created in the 2801 to 2900 and 3032  to 3040 have been unbanned and moved to user list..

edit created the 02716 to fill in the list....

#896 2021-03-07 16:51:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #895

Mental block!  Thanks for catching that!  I "saw" the x as s multiple times ... the power of habit at work!

The id was renamed to Testid02901

The queue looks good!

Stopped in at the local computer store and picked up some hardware for the next phase of development.

The existing system is working, but it is an example of ** really-really-dumb ** automation.  What I'm looking for is a system that will allow software running on one device to interact with the FluxBB server as though it were a human being, including "reading" the results from FluxBB, before going on to the next step.

18,121 is the User count ... we're on our way to 19,000+ although the exact number remains unclear. 

Somewhere along the line we need (or at least I'm hoping for a way) to start adding real people to those ID's.

Advertising is what most of those spammers were doing.  Must of us (humans) dislike advertising (unless we're looking for something).

The kinds of people we are looking for are (broadly speaking) in two distinct camps ...

The first is a set of experts who are willing to donate their time and insights to help folks already trying to accomplish goals inside the forum.

RobertDyck and Calliban are examples of members who have described worthwhile projects that are based in real physics and which could be achieved with some effort.

The second is the set of people who (I believe) are alive today on Earth, and who will be among those who travel to Mars to settle, or to participate in settlement preparations there, or in the far more numerous preparations and support activities on Earth.

It would appear we are not yet reaching either set of folks.

(th)

#897 2021-03-07 17:46:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Automation is sort of dumb in some ways when most think its robotic....Then there is the next level which is AI....

I know that we could go now with what we have for a crew of 2 but it takes out of the box to get us there and not keep claiming the tonnage that we want for hundreds of people to be there at once....

Showing you can go and come back are key to getting real efforts in larger scale to be able to make it happen. Its that same hardware we need for a mass scale lunar beach head to happen as well.

#898 2021-03-07 20:17:58

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #897

Your post leaps from ID Recovery to Mars Expedition and on to a lunar beach head in a single bound.

Void's expositions are having an effect on you, it would appear << grin >>

Back here where I am, this little update is just for the record, in the unlikely event someone else in the Universe is wanting to do something similar ...

The development system I've been using was state-of-the-art in 2008, and it's been isolated from the Internet ever since.  I created a little test application in Windows Presentation Framework and tried it.  To my surprise, an ancient Internet Explorer came up and ran the application, which consisted of a button and a text box. 

I took the application to another system (64 bit Linux) and Chrome there refused to run the application, although it did appear to load it. I then took the application to a third system (64 bit Windows 7) and the ultra-up-to-date Microsoft Edge (Chromium port) ran the application without hesitation.  It is 2021, and 13 years have gone by.  I was amazed.

In thinking about that a bit further, I ** did ** allow Microsoft to update that 2008 system once, when I needed to update the .Net Framework.  Still, it is another example of a seamless transition from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit one.

The point of this little tale is that I am encouraged to investigate a bit further, to see if WPF can be persuaded to interact with the FluxBB server. 

The new topic I just created should be of interest to our members who are supportive of nuclear power in the United States.  Nuclear power has taken a beating as natural gas supplies increased in recent years, but the report seems to indicate that the prospect of making Hydrogen that is done ** without ** releasing CO2 into the atmosphere may provide the economic advantage nuclear power needs to survive.

You've got a work week ahead, so I'll offer best wishes for a productive week.

(th)

#899 2021-03-07 20:46:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

I heard of the new Chromium EDGE browser this week to which I am no fan of Edge and have stayed away from the chrome browsers as well. Have seen that coding for java still is not well taken by browsers by Microsoft.
So far I am not sure that the 2 browsers will ever play well together as the coding on the web is still not stable due to the 32 to 64 bit differences needed to make most things run correctly...
Work is planning to place it on all computers and to removal all others. So it will be interesting to see how all the apps will play within it.

Work is a challenge as I merge data from several excel spread sheets into a single layout that matches fields of exact data so that when sorted you get that field with representing data for conditions that relate. The first column has a field that represents which excel data is on the line so that you can see when data that should pass from one program to another does not as marked by the source for that line.
Some data can be pulled using Business objects exported to excel while other is from different programs that are of a different format type but out can be in excel. Each programs data does not always pass from one to the next correctly or have the critical field of when do you need the line item for production. Those that ran the Business objects are not in the know for what is needed for those that follow up so all they look for is insufficient for production as all it shows is what materials are ready to be issued for the work and not what is missing which would halt production.

#900 2021-03-07 21:34:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #899

Was ** just ** ready to call it a day, and decided to check NewMars "one last time" ... and found your note ...

Your observations about browsers and OS are interesting ... I guess I'm so used to rolling with the punches I wasn't aware of some of the issues you've seen.

I have everything but Apple here, and if one of the systems doesn't work the other one usually does.

However, your description of the challenges of your work is ** quite ** interesting!  It sure sounds as though you are well matched to the needs of the organization. It takes a rare talent to not only do such work well, but to enjoy the constant challenges.

The similarity to the quirks of the NewMars database (after all the damage it has endured) is striking!

(th)

Board footer