New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#651 2021-01-10 16:33:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Housekeeping

Ids in the group from 1211 - 1217 have been unbanned and now show in the user registry.

#652 2021-01-10 18:41:11

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #651

Thanks for proceeding with the partial set ... This Sunday had enough distractions I did not complete the set in a timely manner.

The New Orleans Saints appear to have wrapped up the Chicago Bears with a little bow.

Our count is up to 16,536, so the Not Verified folks are rolling into the total.

Resuming with ID 1218 ...
This is a one post member from 2004

The one post contains an idea I've been suggesting for this forum ... Their version is called "The Plan" ...

My Hacienda was (and is) intended to provide a gathering place for 7800 (or so) individuals to assemble their own plans for private business operations in a Mars Settlement. 

Blicarea - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2004-01-26 18:08:08

Here is the one post in it's entirety (except for a link at the end) ...

Red Colony.com, an old-time Mars colonization/terraforming advocacy website, is taking the next step.  In response to Bush's announcement that Mars is still decades away, Red Colony is reorganizing with the goal to get to Mars quicker, cheaper, and without government assitance.  From the website:
"Red Colony is an organization devoted to developing methods for colonizing and terraforming Mars entirely through private funding and corporate investment. We feel that a shortsighted Congress has limited NASA’s potential in recent years and has left it only to dream of a manned mission to Mars. Avoiding the ignorance of government officials and the wasteful spending governmental contractors so often bring, Red Colony is determined not just to get there, but to make it another home for humanity. We will educate the world about the benefits of the colonization and terraformation (creating another Earth) of Mars. By focusing on public outreach, we can develop more theories in these evolving fields and wake a sleeping world to Mars."
Red Colony offers articles, essays, short stories, and even novels about Mars.  From students, professors, and scientists alike, visitors have the chance to submit their ideas about colonization and terraforming.  "Their work is read by other enthusiasts and their ideas are discussed in detail. If an idea is generally accepted as valid it passes into “The Plan,” a continually updated, revised, remodeled, and reshaped mission architecture. The Plan is not just written by one person. It is a living, breathing document disjointed and featureless. Only as time passes and more ideas are fed to it will it gain shape. Then the details will be worked out, the thousands of pages written, and the mission begun."

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-10 18:51:24)

#653 2021-01-10 18:58:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

The data for the Red Colony website and of its forum may be still had as it did contain a ton of information before getting hacked about the same time as the great crash. I know whom to contact but its more of a question as to how easy can the data be cleaned out of the hackers tracks....and would it be also hosted by Mars Society... I did contain many articles written for a wiki like professional page.

#654 2021-01-10 20:24:42

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #653

Thanks for the update about Red Colony ...

If we ever enlist another member interested in restoring earlier work by former contributors, Red Colony would appear to be worth a look.

In the mean time, with the work force currently available, it will have to wait.

This post will be assigned to ID's 1220-1232
Here is a passionate member from 2006 who (apparently) caught a bug similar to the one Elon Musk had.

There may be a few differences between the two .... for one thing, Elon started SpaceX ** after ** selling his share in Paypal.

User activity
Last post: 2006-09-17 12:49:16
Posts: 17 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

This member was here for just a few days .... apparently the reception by members at the time was not encouraging.

I would definitely be interested to know if the member harnessed some of that energy and achieved something.
Here is a member who stopped by briefly to ask about a space themed hotel.

Blue_Martian - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2003-06-04 10:47:41
Posts: 2 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

I'd be interested to know if (they) ever found an answer.
Here is a member from 2003 with 31 posts ...

bmk - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2003-12-29 03:41:28
Posts: 31 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

Well! That was interesting .... I scanned the posts ...

The author reported being of African American descent.

He stayed for a couple of weeks.
Completed only through 1221 .... reviewing old members is ** really ** time consuming!

On the other hand, it ** can ** be rewarding.  I'll have to work on Not Verified accounts to catch up to the schedule.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-10 21:05:44)

#655 2021-01-11 08:00:00

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut primarily (although all who contribute to the forum may wish to comment) ...

It appears that the Internal Combustion engine track has developed to the point it can be allowed to split so that two idea sets can evolve separately.

In addition, there is a proposal in the wings to set up a hybrid track for construction equipment.

Here is text from the Internal Combustion track:

For kbd512 re #137 and topic in general
I'd like to propose to you and to SpaceNut that we split this topic into two .... One for turbines, with concentration on SCCO2 under your stewardship

The second would be a concentration on piston engine designs for Mars, under SpaceNut's watchful eye.

I am interested in seeing the knowledge and insight flowing through the posts in this forum harnessed to perform long term good for humanity, and specifically settlers on Mars, and even more specifically, those who are alive on Earth today who ** will ** be in the population moving to Mars.

SpaceNut, when you opened this topic, it made sense (from my perspective) to keep the scope generic, and you've seen the topic grow nicely.  It would appear to be time to allow the topic to fork (carefully), so that the two competing technologies compete separately, and not within one topic.

It is appropriate to attempt to recruit members who will want to specialize in one or the other of these technologies.

We already have a battery powered vehicle track, and I think it can continue for a while longer until a need for a split becomes apparent.

I ** think ** it was kbd512 (it might have been GW Johnson) who suggested a hybrid power train for Mars construction vehicles.  In that track, were it to be created, a set of plans would evolve for IC power >> generator >> battery storage >> electric motor appendage movement (or hydraulic appendage movement in the case of blade or bucket lifts).

(th)

#656 2021-01-11 11:19:56

tahanson43206

This is for kbd512 ...

I have no way of knowing if you ever look at the Housekeeping track ... It's a bit far afield from the areas you've been supporting over time

Still, in hopes you ** will ** see this, I'm hoping you will have some insight into how the FluxBB php system is causing fields to display in color or bold in the output form the Userlist.php file.  I've been studying (ie, looking at) the php files in the FluxBB system, and have been (and remain) mystified as to how the fields echoed to the screen are showing up enhanced with color (ie, red) and bold attributes.

I don't see anything in the script that delivers the user data to the screen that changes the font.

What I'd like to do is to change the font of the Title field in the User list so it is easier to spot the word "banned".

Unfortunately for me (at least) the words "member" and "banned" are rendering so they are the same length, and I cannot differentiate them except by focusing on each line of the display.

In the case of the command file that SpaceNut provided to see Not Verified ID's, the words "Not Verified" are rendered in bold, which makes them easy to find.

As a related question, do you have update privileges to change the php scripts?

Otherwise, we would have to ask Mr. Burk to make a change, if you  come up with one.

Thanks!
(th)

#657 2021-01-11 14:28:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... Id's through 1234 are ready for unbanning.

Today's set are all in the bans table.  They were all Not Verified.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-11 18:53:53)

#658 2021-01-11 15:47:33

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

I read most of the posts from the mods and admins, which includes the posts you and SpaceNut make here.  As to font changes in the HTML output (the "userlist.php" file is actually HTML with a style sheet applied to it).  There's clearly a cascading style sheet (CSS) entry that manipulates the fonts and colors used.  The PHP creates the HTML page structure / output, and then with the help of class identifiers embedded in the HTML output, the CSS stylizes the HTML content for your viewing pleasure.  Unless you specifically have something setup on your browser to manipulate fonts and colors used, and it's unlikely that you wouldn't know about that, then that's how it was done.

In Safari, I simply click on the Development menu option, then select "Show Page Source" to view the HTML output and CSS file.  There's a mile-long (1,651 line) style sheet entitled "fire.css" that gets applied to the HTML page entitled "userlist.php" by your web browser, after the server has generated the HTML output.

I wouldn't personally waste my time scrolling through the web-based UI if I wanted to identify all of the banned users, but that's just me.  I would save the "userlist.php" HTML file to my desktop and then manually search for the "banned" users through a text editor like Notepad.  That's the simplest way to find all of them.

#659 2021-01-11 16:16:23

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

If you have direct database access, then save yourself more time by simply executing something like "SELECT * FROM user_table WHERE user_status = 'banned';", after you make whatever changes through the front end that you want to make.  If not, then visually reading through the web-based UI when you can directly search through the output HTML file is still a waste of time, in my opinion.

#660 2021-01-11 18:28:19

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #658 and 659

Thanks for picking up on my request for assistance!  I'll take some time to try to digest 658 in particular, but I can try 659 immediately!

I have no idea what access a Moderator has, but I'll try your suggestion and soon find out!

I'll report back.

Regarding faster ways of doing things ... I've described before (in this topic) what a program would do, if it were to carry out the manual labor I am doing.

A program would:

1) Find the next banned ID in the bans table.  This would occur by simply opening the table and selecting the first item
2) Using the name found in the bans table, perform a lookup to retrieve the corresponding record from the users table (select ID number stored in bans)
3) Using the record found in the users table, set the ID name field to "TestID" plus #####, where ##### is the next available number from lookup
Note: the lookup is a search for the highest numbered TestID in the users table
4) At the same time, set the email field equal to the name computed in step 3 plus "@test.com"
5) In the Admin Notes field, insert the day of the update.

Loop until bans table is exhausted

Note ... it is unlikely but possible that the bans table contains a record that is not matched in the users table

In that case, just skip to the next record in the bans table.

When the job is done, the Administrator can look at the bans table and find it empty, or if it is not empty, then the remaining records can be deleted.

That would take a few minutes at most to accomplish.

Otherwise, I expect to be processing 22 records per Earth day for the next two plus Earth years.

This is a classic instance of an IT person walking in on an un-computerized small business, and suggesting using a spreadsheet on a PC.

Thanks again for taking an interest in this.

PS ... FluxBB.org is back up.  You can download a copy of the system at no charge, and see the php files in the text editor of your OS.

I run (mostly) Linux here (with a scattering of Windows variants) so the text editor I use is a version of gedit.

PS re #658 ... I am aware of the existence of style sheets, but have never set one up.  I've used Microsoft Visual Studio to create web sites, and it does all the heavy lifting, so I've not had to learn more than a small amount of html.

Edit#1: I got a 404 error .... here is what I tried:

404. THAT’S AN ERROR.

http://newmars.com/forums/select%20*%20from%20users

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-11 19:33:10)

#661 2021-01-11 21:04:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

You can change some of your particular setting for Display user profile http://newmars.com/forums/profile.php?s … display&id xx is your number. The same is true for the display of links on the page for the userlist.php as its in your profile to set on the display control page as well....

The only trouble with an automated program is the real people that had content would get changed and that person would no longer be banned via account and all of there posts would be gone that were not a ban able offense.

I am going alphabetical to ban those that are zero posts since registering that look like spam usernames that you have indicated with strange or not normal ip locations.

edit as for the select%20*%20from%20users part of your command line for the browser address its not a valid command structure to access the list....

#662 2021-01-11 21:09:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #661

If kbd512 finds a solution that would work, we can evaluate it before using it.  Perhaps the program can be modified to NOT process an account if it has posts. That would leave a small number to be processed manually.

I agree that there are some folks banned in the past whose posts make them eligible to be restored to member status, now that some time has gone by.

For the time being, I'm planning to just keep chipping away at the mountain.  I'll stay with Not Verified accounts until I catch up ... I've fallen two days behind due (in part) to spending so much time looking at members from long ago and far away and reporting on them.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-11 21:10:39)

#663 2021-01-11 23:06:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

I banned a couple dozen more from the A alphabetical list which had zero posts to them.

#664 2021-01-12 07:27:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #663

The more the merrier!   Thanks for the heads up!

No new messages at NewMarsMember ... It will be a while before we start to collect new members ... at least we've done our part to provide a contact pathway.

I've been thinking about products we humans have come to expect on in our lives.  The recent conversation with kbd512 about turbine components made clear we are in danger of dependence upon Earth far into the future.  That is certainly how American history played out.  Americans were able to gain a foothold in the new land using technology they brought over from England, and the English discouraged export of their technology to the colonies for many decades. In the case of Mars, I see that the City-State planning teams are thinking about an approach to self-sufficiency in a 50 (Earth) year time frame.

My concept for My Hacienda is a Normandy style relocation of people, equipment and skills to become self-sufficient within a very small number of Mars years.

This could be accomplished by running the exercise on Earth, and RobertDyck recently found an ideal location for the exercise, on the slope of Mount Everest, if the Nepalese are interested and willing to support such an undertaking.

Inside living quarters the ambient air pressure is close to what RobertDyck is recommending for Mars habitats.  Supplemental oxygen would be needed, and indeed, that is exactly what will be needed on Mars and in the Large Ship, so a live test on Earth would make perfect sense.

Regarding newly added bans ... I'll continue working on Not Verified accounts until I catch up to my (arbitrary) schedule ... somehow I've fallen two full (Earth) days behind.  You'll find those over in the bans table.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-12 07:29:08)

#665 2021-01-12 09:33:29

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

There's no danger of dependence on Earth for anything, since the very first person has yet to set foot on Mars.  As of right now, space flight depends upon Earth for absolutely everything.  Everything has to be imported from Earth, so it's far better if it only has to be imported once.  Sending durable construction equipment and a serious power plant (10MW to 20MW solar thermal or nuclear thermal) is a good first step towards reducing dependence, because that machinery is needed to construct the pressurized spaces required for habitation and agriculture.  Once there are habitable spaces on Mars and room to grow crops, then we can worry about manufacturing things using indigenous materials.  For sustained human presence, those are the two highest priority requirements to fulfill, and no other aspect of modern society even comes close.

1. Pressurized homes - atmospheric control using reliable computers, plumbing (sink / shower / toilet), lighting (natural plus LEDs)

2. Pressurized greenhouses - atmospheric control using reliable computers, plumbing for aeroponics / hydroponics (the use of soil on Earth has to do with the availability and price "f-r-e-e" of soil suitable for farming, but this doesn't exist on Mars and also requires a lot more resources than aeroponics or hydroponics that bathe or spray nutrient-rich water onto the crops)

3. Reliable 24/7 power plant - solar thermal or nuclear thermal with a molten salt primary loop and SCCO2 gas turbines running in a secondary loop

4. Machinery repair / refurbishment - tools and machines to repair existing atmospheric control, construction equipment, structures, etc

5. Manufacturing using indigenous resources - this takes the most time to accomplish because existing manufacturing methods have to be adapted to use whatever is most readily available (CO2 / H2O / Fe / Ar / S, Basalt, Salts); this is the very last step towards a self-sustaining civilization, not the first

Something akin to the large transport ships proposed by RobertDyck are required to transport heavy machinery to Mars.  I don't know what the absolute "best" solution is, just that 5,000t to 25,000t cargo freighters / cruise ships traveling on minimum-energy trajectories are required.  More speed is only "better" when it doesn't require inordinately more energy to provide.  Tonnage delivered at the lowest possible price point is everything, thus the old adage that amateurs study tactics while professionals study logistics.

#666 2021-01-12 10:43:06

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re 664

Thanks for a nice summary of what a startup on Mars should look like.

The Normandy invasion did NOT anticipate the landed team would carry on without reinforcements and a continuous flow of supplies.

However, eventually, the objectives of the mission were achieved and the flow of supplies came to an end, except for the residual forces that remain in Europe to this day.

Something similar can be anticipated for Mars.  The time scale of the transition from total dependence to partial dependence to total independence will likely be measured in decades, but my recommendation is to plan for that transition to occur as soon as possible.

Fortunately (from each of our perspectives) there are plenty of people who think short term, and plenty of others who think longer term.

The mix should result in the optimum blend of immediate success for the landing party, and ability to live off the land down the road.

This interesting correspondence should be occurring in a topic other than housekeeping.
In housekeeping, I am hoping you are thinking about a program to perform the ID clean up operations SpaceNut and I have undertaken.

In the absence of professional php programming expertise, this project will take several Earth years.

I am enjoying the work, but would not mind at all having a single well-written script complete the task for the bulk of the ID's in minutes or perhaps even seconds.

SpaceNut has requested that banned ID's which have posts should NOT be included in the automatic TestID assignment process.

The number of banned ID's with posts is relatively small.

In the meantime ...

For SpaceNut ... the batch for a day ago is now ready for review in the bans table ... the group ending in 1254 is there.

I'll go do some chores, and then (if time allows) return to process another 22 ID's this afternoon, in an effort to catch up with my (arbitrary) schedule.

(th)

#667 2021-01-12 19:42:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... Id's 1255-1276 are over in the bans table, ready for unbanning and group change.

This set took (about) 40 minutes from start to finish, without interruptions.

The procedure for processing Not Verified accounts is settling into a routine ...

I've learned how to use the powers of the browser better than previously.

(th)

#668 2021-01-12 21:30:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Took care of the unban of id's and moving into the user tables for those not verified numbers
1218 - 1276 have been taken care of 01234 as it missing.

#669 2021-01-12 21:55:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #668

Thanks for taking care of that catch-up set of batches!

Thanks too, for correcting 1234 ... My procedure now includes three checks, but obviously one got away from me!

I'll try to stay on schedule ...

Since this is Housekeeping, I'll mention that I dragged myself into the modern age by giving up my 15 year old flip phone for a Smart Phone.

Amazon stopped sending to my Spok pager January 1st, and I am wanting to keep using Two Step verification.

The plan is 5G of data, and according to the sales person, when I reach that limit they will slow down traffic significantly so I can keep working and not receive a bill for blowing over the limit.  That was nice of them!  I don't expect to use much of that 5G, but really have no idea how much I'll use.

(th)

#670 2021-01-13 08:33:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's Recovery ...

This post is reserved for today's batch: 1277-1298

Once again, due to the efficiency of the procedure, I'll work with Not Verified accounts.

I note that the count of Registered Members has risen to 16,591.  Thanks for doing the magic that allows that to happen!
ID's 1277-1298 are all in bans table ready for magic!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-13 12:41:09)

#671 2021-01-13 12:12:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (primarily, but shown for all who may be interested)

Notes for Not Verified accounts Recovery

Using three screens:

On left, spreadsheet

Column1: Previous day’s batch of 22 ID’s with green background (signals completed)
Column2: Current day’s batch with white background
Additional columns to right for in-process notes

In Center: Browser opened to NewMars forum

On Right: Browser opened to NewMars forum

Procedure:

Starting in center screen:

Open Not Verified query and advance to first page containing Not Verified item
Click on the item to bring up the Essentials page
Click on the title “Username” this will cause the text window to become highlighted
Enter “TextID” into the window, followed by the five digits as shown next in Screen 1
Tab to the email window and enter “TextID#####@test.com”
Tab ten times to the Admin Notes window and enter: Updated yyyymmdd by aaaaaaaa
Enter again to save(Submit) the record

Upon display of the updated Essentials page, click on Administration

Click on [Ban user]  (this is needed to move the record to the bans table)

In [Ban Advanced Settings] screen:

Note that ID is highlighted by default … visually confirm the ID is correct

Tab to the IP addresses window and press Backspace to clear it (no IP’s to be banned)

Tab twice to reach Ban message window: Enter “Upd: yyyy/mm/dd”  (short text here)

Press Enter twice to save (Submit) the record

Result: The New ban page will appear … with all fields empty

Now proceed to Screen 3

Given that the screen was previously positioned in the bans table, enter Ctrl/F5 to refresh the query.  Confirm the updated TestID##### is present

Now go back to Screen 1 and update the spreadsheet by advancing the row pointer to the ID just completed.

Return to screen 2

Using the Backarrow control on the Browser, select the Search command used previously

Refresh the query … not that the Not Verified entry just processed is gone

Proceed to find the next Not Verified entry.

Page down as necessary

Advance to the next page (of 393) as necessary

Return to the top of these instructions (Loop until Not Verified are gone from list)

Notes are as of 2021/01/13 (th)

(th)

#672 2021-01-13 12:47:17

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck ...

From another topic ... It might be of interest to other Registered Members who are at risk (directly or indirectly) ...

Ps. I spent the last couple weeks helping my girlfriend to get her 82 year old father to renew his driver license, vehicle and house insurance, and setup banking from a smartphone app so he can bank from home. He has major memory issues. I suspect he has Alzheimer's. The word "frustrating" is an understatement.
::Edit:: This has actually been going on for 2 months. We finally got it resolved today. And her Dad forgot what the driver license renewal paperwork was, so wanted to throw it away.

(th)

#673 2021-01-13 21:11:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have done the new id's for the day numbering 01277 to 01298 changing them so that they show in the user list.

Even though man has known about Alzheimer's for sometime now we have not done anything to correct the why it happens to some and not to others...

#674 2021-01-14 07:25:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's Recovery ...

Thanks for taking care of yesterday's batch!

This post is reserved for the set from 1299-1320. I'm planning to restore TestID01000 today as well.

I'll be working from the Not Verified collection, so the new ID's will be showing up in the bans table.

Count of Registered ID's remains 16,591 as of a few minutes ago.

I'm also looking forward to hearing back from our applicant from Mexico.  In the absence of feedback from anyone, I'll assume responsibility for how to proceed.  I look upon bringing a new person into the forum as very similar to hiring a new employee.

At the moment, the forum culture is still reflecting the Open Admission policy of the past, which allowed anyone to Register at any time for any reason.

With the new policy blocking Open Registration, we have an opportunity to recruit new members who will both contribute to the work of others in the forum, and achieve success in their own endeavors through feedback and assistance from existing members.

The existing policy of Sink or Swim is understandable when admission was open to all without restrictions of any kind.

We no longer need to continue that policy.

ID's 1000 and 1299-1320 are ready for unbanning.  They are all in the bans table.

For the record: Elapsed time for the 22 was one hour and six minutes (includes breaks).  Time per ID was 1.3 minutes in tested instance.

Edit: The count of Registered Users is now up to 16,613. Bravo!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-14 09:59:24)

#675 2021-01-14 09:12:15

tahanson43206

This is for anyone who happens to glance at the Housekeeping topic ...

I'd appreciate feedback on my attempt to develop an index for the contents of the forum archive, based upon writings of members.

If you have a moment, try entering a search into Google for the expression [s e a r c h t e r m :] (remove spaces of course.

What I'm hoping is that Google (or other search engines such as Bing) will report back with a list of items I've cataloged over the past couple of years.

I am unable to do this because of caching that is associated with the ID, the IP address and other factors unique to this ID.

Thanks!

Edit#1: If nothing shows up that's fine too!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-14 09:13:11)

Board footer