New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#501 2020-12-14 08:07:39

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re ID's review ...

In today's batch, I found a "member" with IP from Ukraine and email from California. 

Following the Ukranian, there is a member who contributed in 2014 ...

agent009 - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2014-07-01 14:29:23
Posts: 19 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

Last post from 2014: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 26#p121426

In Terraformation about Titan

First post from 2014: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 88#p121288

This post is in reply to Terraformer. It contains formulas and physics.

JoshNH4H replied with this observation:

Interesting post.  I'd always written gas giant aerostats off as infeasible, myself, but I guess I was wrong to do so

The topic where Agent009 introduced (?)-self is:  Terraformation >> Rogue super-Earths/mini-Neptunes

That topic was created by Terraformer in 2013 -- That would be 7 years ago, when Terraformer was just 19 (given he is 26 in 2020)

Impressive!

Edit#1: TestID00647 - Essentials ... the post count can be set to zero, if you have a moment.

Edit#2: TestID00649 - Essentials ... the post count can be set to zero, if you have a moment

Edit#3: TestID00650 - Essentials ... the post count can be set to zero, if you have a moment

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-14 10:53:06)

#502 2020-12-14 16:39:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

aftercolumbia was also a member on the MarsDrive site as well during those same years until both websites suffered from the crash which was hacking induced....they tried to revive the website but it got hit again and did not come back.
During that time plans for a new generation of rockets were being thought of along the lines of the Falcon for capability which did progress to even larger rockets.

will check them out and set the counters to zero....

Edit
performed unban on id's 624 - 654...

This makes the second time an id came up as a double but not totally identical.

TestID00655 l.i.d.e.rp.r.o.mo2.0.1.5su.p.er@gmail.com 62.149.29.57 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID00655 l.i.d.e.rp.r.o.mo2.0.1.5su.p.er@gmail.com   Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove

I will look into them tomorrow to see if its a cure problem in the data base....

#503 2020-12-14 18:13:43

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #502 and TestID00655

There's been more congestion than usual on the Internet in the past day.

It is possible that double posting occurred.

I'll try to remember to check the Lost Packets count before trying updates in the future.

Thanks for the notes on our legacy members!

I ** am ** enjoying running into early members like the one today ... often I'll find they interacted with members who are still here, like Void, Terraformer and SpaceNut (to name just a few << grin >>).

(th)

PS ... if you haven't worked the Rick Tumlinson video into your schedule, I hope you can do so.  Rick is able to explain what all this effort is about in ways few others can.

(th)

#505 2020-12-14 19:34:53

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

That looks pretty serious.  Do your best to stay warm.

#506 2020-12-14 20:01:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

The finishing group of ID's through 660 are ready for unbanning.

I called up the map of Pennsylvania to see where Allentown sits with respect to other cities I am more familiar with ...

They are almost due West of New York City ... 18 inches is ridiculous !!!

From the map it appears your neighborhood is going to be in the outer bands of the snow fall ...

At least your enforced work from home will keep you off the roads, which will be bad enough for a while.

Following kbd512's lead ... best wishes for reliable heating during this time!

You mentioned having a ? Subaru ? in your property that is not road approved .... it might serve as an emergency generator supply, in an emergency.

It's a bit late to think of that for this storm, but since you are an accomplished mechanic, rigging up a 110 VAC generator to the drive shaft might be within your skill set.

I checked Craigslist for generators in New Hampshire, but all the offerings appeared to be working.  I was hoping someone might have an old generator available for parts.

Edit#1: I asked Google about converting a car to an emergency generator, and found numerous answers, in addition to the usual ads for generators.

There's even a web site set up on the topic:

Search Results
Web results

CarGeneratorwww.cargenerator.com
PORTABLE WEATHERPROOF AC POWER – FROM YOUR VEHICLE. So my car is a backup generator for my house, cottage, or camping off-grid? What can it ...
Shop Now · Technology · Videos · Blog

Videos

PREVIEW
9:25
Turn Your Car Into a Generator
SurvivalExistence
YouTube - Jul 26, 2016

PREVIEW
4:27
3000lbs driveway generator
supergokue1
YouTube - Aug 26, 2011

PREVIEW
6:45
Using your car as a generator
MrTechvideo
YouTube - Nov 25, 2012

How To Power Your Home With Your Car - Jalopnikjalopnik.com › how-to-power-your-home-with-your-ca...
Oct 29, 2012 — It's also a gasoline (or diesel) generator with seats and a radio. ... The electricity is generated by your car's alternator (or, in older cars, generator) ... The inverter will convert your 12V DC from your car to 110V AC, but that ...

Turn Car Engine into Home Generator - Maintenance/Repairs ...community.cartalk.com › turn-car-engine-into-home-g...
Jul 4, 2016 — I have an old car with a destroyed transmission and hate to see the ... of or know someone who has converted a car motor into a home generator? ... This is why a diesel generator makes sense for the long wait between uses.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-15 09:26:59)

#507 2020-12-15 09:43:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

The vehicle thats not road worthy is a 2001 ford escape and it could serve for a backup generator if you can keep it fueled up but thats the problem with all generators that are gas fueled. But that makes a good option for if I do ever junk the vehicle as to remove the engine and get a full generator power head to attach to it. Would need to make a building to house it all along with any other power creation units with in it as well.

This is exactully climbing out of poverty when you earnings are not enough to bring in to the household and while you do not need to pay for fuel to make the power its only a single step towards self sufficiency for when you have no income.

edit

not looking to do the lawn mower engine with alternator build but with a real engine...

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/10 … ugh-choice

Using a 100 watt power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter--later upgrading to a 300 watt inverter--and some heavy-duty extension cords, Bob Sakala of Paramus powered lights, laptops and his TV.

The high output of the car's battery was enough to keep some of his electrics working--though unlike a full battery-electric car, the Prius needs its engine to run to keep the battery topped up.

While not a perfect solution, the Prius could at least be considered a more efficient alternative to doing similar with a regular car. Three-quarters of a tank of gas powered Bob's family home for almost a week, while the power was down.

https://www.peakprosperity.com/running- … kup-power/

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/green-home … your-house

The car, a retooled Prius developed by Pacific Gas and Electric and Energy CS, has an outsize battery that's compatible with a 220-volt household outlet (the kind an electric stove uses). Once plugged into the home grid, an owner need only flip a trunk inverter switch to access emergency power for several hours. (The battery stores 9 kilowatts, whereas the average house uses about 16 kilowatts a day.)

mixed image returned on search of images

This maybe possible also
Backyard Wood Powered Generator
Fuel for engine comes from a wood gasifier small enough to power a car or pickup for about $125 in parts and materials according to the article...

#508 2020-12-15 09:46:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Admin panel shows these accounts in the Testid to unban.

Username

Email

IP/IP-ranges

Expires

Banned by

Actions

TestID00655 l.i.d.e.rp.r.o.mo2.0.1.5su.p.er@gmail.com 62.149.29.57 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID00655 l.i.d.e.rp.r.o.mo2.0.1.5su.p.er@gmail.com   Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID00656 l.i.d.e.rp.r.omo2.015s.up.e.r@gmail.com 178.125.3.226 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID00657 l.i.der.pro.mo2.01.5s.u.pe.r@gmail.com 185.99.3.25 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID00658 l.i.der.p.ro.m.o.201.5.su.pe.r@gmail.com 37.215.136.136 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID00659 lid.e.r.p.ro.m.o.2015s.up.er@gmail.com 37.215.139.63 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestiD00660 li.d.e.rp.r.om.o.201.5.s.u.pe.r@gmail.com 37.215.137.87 Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove

with the double still present will unban all of the others....

#509 2020-12-15 09:54:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #507

Thanks for picking up on my inquiry about using an automobile as an emergency power generator.

The Vehicle itself is a "building" (if I understand the YouTube video captions correctly).

However, something you said caught my eye, so I thought it would be worth a follow up ....

while you do not need to pay for fuel to make the power its only a single step towards self sufficiency for when you have no income.

That's a neat trick if you can pull it off with a gasoline fueled engine!

Here's an advantage of a automobile mounted AC generator ... It is unlikely to be stolen (or less likely)

I live in a border region between a wealthy neighborhood and a struggling one.  Every so often a member of the struggling neighborhood makes a visit to this area to see what isn't nailed down.  I had a Honda computer grade generator installed in a shed purpose built for it.  The visitor rolled the Honda out of the shed and all the way to his quick-sale contact.  The generator was never heard from again.

That particular fate is unlikely if you build your emergency generator in the automobile that is up on blocks.

The Ford Escape might need a coat of paint every other year, but otherwise it should last as a "shed" for the generator for quite a while.

A weekly engine start and exercise would be a reasonable precaution.

The Escape may not be in starting order if it has not been started for a while.

(th)

#510 2020-12-15 10:34:06

tahanson43206

This post is for today's batch of ID's to be recovered from the (mostly Russian) spam artists.

SpaceNut ... TESTID00655 appears to be stable ... please try again to see if you can unban it.

Edit#1: TestID00662 - Essentials Please reset the Post counter.

Edit#2: TestID00663 - Essentials Please reset the Post counter.

Edit#3: AgustinSoine - Essentials IP is from Ukraine ... at least it's not Russia ... maybe it's the Russian part of Ukraine ?

Edit#4: AzucenaFol - Essentials IP is Malaysia Email is invalid "No match for email provider"

ID's 661-682 are ready for unbanning

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-15 11:40:09)

#511 2020-12-15 12:39:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Unregistered vehicles are not allowed on home / residential lots as they are considered junk yards but I am saddened to here of the walk off of your backup power generator. Though a vehicle out of sight is not a junk yard make....

I have been going over the power needs to calculate out what size generator and batteries would be needed for home design. Of course the engine generator would only need a battery to start the vehicle but for the generator of the power side for home use could be grid tied to not afford the difficulty of having a large battery bank. You only need enough batteries to stave off ripples in the loading by the invertors that would power the house.

The power wall does that internally via taking ac in and when not loaded converts it to stored battery energy for later when the output ac needs to be made as the load causes power sag or when the input ac drops. Its basically a large computer UPS...

Side benefit of the engine running is heat removal to an exchanger for hot water heating or for other heating use in the home as well. It would be an extension of the cars radiator lines. If you get a large enough volume of cooling no radiator is required for the engine cooling system. With to large means water heating temperature would not be high enough.

Solar is typically only providing power for charging in the 3 to 4.5 hour duration of a day so we need a huge amount of costly panels to be able to do without financing costs to make a total home use possible.

#512 2020-12-15 12:48:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

made these changes to the duplicates that show in the Administration panel:

Username       Email      IP/IP-ranges     Expires     Message    Banned by     Actions

TestID00655a  l.i.d.e.rp.r.o.mo2.0.1.5su.p.er@gmail.com 62.149.29.57  Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove
TestID00655b  l.i.d.e.rp.r.o.mo2.0.1.5su.p.er@gmail.com                      Never   SpaceNut Edit | Remove

The emails are the say but the IP seems to be the only difference.

This is what shows in the user panel:

Username     Title    Posts   Registered
TestID00654  Member  0    2017-11-28
TestID00655  Member  0    2020-09-13
TestID00656  Member  0    2017-07-07

Created accounts from renaming process ID's 01000 - 01008 but left the ban on them for now.

If user name is the same error response occurs and of course I did change it afterwards.

Someone is already registered with the username TestID01006. The username you entered is too similar. The username must differ from that by at least one alphanumerical character (a-z or 0-9). Please choose a different username.

Will see what it does for a changed account with the same email and give the update next....

update
I did the duplicate email and it will go through even with a different username....

What I notice is the member is where it should say banned:

I have unbanned the others and reset the counters.

edit update snow
A map I saw a bit ago shows that it may be more south of use for the line and that would mean I will be getting less but if its more north in line with yesterdays it will be a dumping..

#513 2020-12-15 20:03:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's recovery ...

Thanks for working on the ID's today!

The snow headed your way came up in a Zoom meeting this evening ... the local folks are expecting some snow, but nothing like what is forecast for your area.

Someone had noticed the forecast of a couple of feet for parts of Pennsylvania.

(th)

#514 2020-12-16 07:57:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID's recovery

We are seeing light snow way to the West of you .... I'll be watching for your report

The batch planned for today is 683-704

I noted your work yesterday, to set up ID's 1000-1013

I'll start today's batch shortly ...

Edit#1: SpaceNut, TestID00699 has a post count that could be reset, if you have time.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-16 14:56:31)

#515 2020-12-16 15:32:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

This is a follow up on discussion of how interested persons can become members of this forum ...

You had indicated it might be possible to contact the webmaster, but I don't see a way to do that ...

Here is what a person sees when they click on the Register botton:

New Mars Forums
Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com
Index
User list
Rules
Search
Register
Login
You are not logged in.Topics: Active | Unanswered
Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.
Info
This forum is not accepting new registrations.

Go back

Jump to

Meta New Mars

(th)

#516 2020-12-16 17:42:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

The ban removal was up to 699 from the 683 starting location.

Still playing with the duplicate with the same email...

I did a quick check of the home page not being logged …
here is where it shows the

New Mars  Forum    Topics    Posts    Last post
Meta New Mars
Have your say about this website and forums. All opinions welcome!
(Moderated by IanM, James Burk, Josh Cryer, kbd512, RobertDyck)  255    4,141    Today 17:16:41 by SpaceNut

The emails are not visible to those not logged in but the one for James Burk shows the webmaster email within it

Personality Signature
James Burk
Webmaster
The Mars Society
webmaster@marssociety.org

all topics and links are readable to those not logged in with no ability to post as a guest.

#517 2020-12-16 18:15:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #516

Thanks for taking care of the ID's completed so far in today's batch.  There are five or six to go.

The address of the webmaster would not be known to someone trying to register, since they would not be logged in.

However, if you approve (which it looks as though you might be inclined to do) we might publicize the webmaster email address.

However, my question remains ... is this something Mr. Burk is going to want to have to deal with?

Is there any way we can find out?

If we decide to ONLY admit people who are registered Mars Society members, we get:

1) Vetting automatically (via known name and payment method)
2) A donation to the Mars Society ($25 for students and seniors)

Once that donation is made, the person could send you an email, and you could admit them by using one of the recovered ID's.

After ** that ** they could remain a member of ** this ** forum without having to make another donation unless they want to (and can afford it).

That way, for a minimum one-time payment of $25, a person could become a member of this forum.

This would mean the person has more than a casual interest in helping to move things along in this forum.

Edit #2: Is this something we could ask for guidance from the Society to solve?

We could make decisions in the absence of guidance, but it sure would be better if we could know that we are following a path that is approved all the way up to Dr. Zubrin, if possible, but certainly to Mr. Burk if not.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-16 18:28:54)

#518 2020-12-16 18:29:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

Then a page link to register would be a redirect to the main site of mars society for the person to join....
Mars society should give an ID for each paying member as it is, that has joined Mars Society
There could be a topic round up news letter for each weekly sent out from Mars society with requests for technical assistance plus...
So far this is all an out reach program to breath life back into NewMars as well as for the Mars society.

No snow yet with temperatures still dropping, house is cold at this point but we have plenty of blankets and clothing in addition to throw electric blankets to make use of as needed.

#519 2020-12-16 18:41:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #518

First, best wishes to you and your family as the snow approaches!  I checked Allentown Pa's webcam a little while ago and the snow has started. The view is of downtown, so the efforts of the snow plows will be in view tomorrow morning. 

Second ... thanks for thinking about the redirect option to join the Mars Society!  It should be possible for Mr. Burk to change the wording on the "Register" page of the NewMars forum FluxBB page.  The wording would simply invite interested persons to join the Mars Society.

Spammers will avoid the site like the plague, and the kind of person who will help to move things along in ** this ** forum will be available.

This contact is more appropriate for you to make, than for someone else.

Mr. Burk has posted to this forum in the past, and perhaps he would be willing to exchange a few posts with us now as we try to find our way.

Edit#1: Please take a look at AileenBvw5 - Essentials

That ID has an IP address from Montana, which might be a good signal, but the name and the email don't match.

Edit#2: ID's 700-704 are ready for unbanning.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-16 18:45:46)

#520 2020-12-16 21:56:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

clear issue with id 655 by deleting it totally and assigned it to a new banned one.
performed unban on remaining ids to reach 704
post a bit of a log file to show how corrupted they were...

#521 2020-12-17 08:31:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... Congratulations on the traffic level on NewMars forum!

I don't recall ever seeing Active roll over to two pages before, but it happened today.

This post is reserved for updates on today's ID's to be recovered.

Thanks for the update about 655 ... The solution seems appropriate for an ID that was created by a spammer in the first place !!!
The snip from the log file is NOT for the faint of heart!
For SpaceNut ... please take a look at aimed - Essentials. This ID was created by someone in Ukraine. Name does not match email.

Here is a member who posted twice.  The IP is from Madrid, Spain.
The text reports living in the Netherlands.
This member might be worth an email of inquiry to see what's new since February of 2019

Airman - Essentials
User activity
Last post: 2019-02-03 08:57:10
Posts: 2 - Show all topics - Show all posts - Show all subscriptions

TestID00715 - Essentials ... count can be reset to zero, if you have time
Here is a member form 2003 ....

ajcentauri
[c o l o r=#000000:post_uid0]I don't think it is a "Jupiter Tour" for all the moons.  It is the Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter (JIMO). It will focus on Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa. It will be designed to accomplish Nasa's previous scientific goals for Europa while also applying them to the others.[/c o l o r:post_uid0]

For kbd512 ... This is an example of a post that could be cleaned up if you have time. Had to add spaces in "color" to post here.
ID's 705-726 are ready for unbanning ... Please note count reset needed for 715

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-17 11:11:42)

#522 2020-12-17 11:25:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Went out to shovel around 9 and we had a fine snow falling with an 8 - 10 inch cover on the ground. Got that done so I could go to the store for provisions for the day and ended up getting the glass lift gate while putting most of the food in the back falling and striking my head hard. Of course the back already was aching and had a head ache from and the bang into the head has just added to the pain I am in....

Will drop back in later...

I did several of the long log files before James did pull them in on another fake server machine by hand stripping out the posts that they contained. The file is a mixed text of html and other php stuff and trash fill....I was able to pull up complete html pages for the wiki and other things from the logs which was being shared by several different php programs at the time of the crash...

#523 2020-12-17 12:10:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #622

Sounds like a nap would be helpful, if you have time for it.

Thanks for the additional background on the recovery work you and Mr. Burk have done to try to keep the forum going.

Sounds as though you could have used one of the (yet to be invented) remote control snowblowers!

Edit#1: OK ... I'll go look to see if anyone ** is ** making remote control snowblowers commercially.  I ** know ** people have made them as home projects, because I've seen YouTube video showing the equipment, but it ** is ** line of sight and only good for the driveway.

Here's one YouTube example .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHtsWqoCjq4

What I have in mind is this capability with full remote vision, able to operate as far away as a city block.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-17 12:15:55)

#524 2020-12-17 18:48:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have finally settled in for the night after removing snow in about the same amount as before or pretty close to 10 inches again with the snow finally stopping.

will take care of the unban and counter reset

#525 2020-12-17 19:15:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re snow removal .... The amount you reported is nearly 20 inches!  That is way more than I had expected from initial forecasts for your area.

That amount would cause ** this ** region to fail dramatically, but I'm guessing the folks of New Hampshire are taking it in stride!

Still, glad to hear the fall has stopped!

Thanks for working on the ID's after all that outside work!

(th)

Board footer