New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#351 2020-11-06 05:57:07

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut

I removed this post from the Electric Vehicles topic ...

noraaustin72 wrote:

Have you ever checked on "couponcodify"?
if not then go and check there, you will easily find it according to your car.

It's up to you, but I'd vote for banning this ID because the post appears (to my eye at least) to be spam.

Edit#1: I put noraaustin72 into Google, and got back 705 results.  The top page shows registrations by this ID in a wide variety of web sites.

I suspect this may be a very clever attempt to create an AI that can simulate a human.

Such attempts have been under way for many decades now.  I definitely saw nothing that would suggest this ID would bring value to NewMars forum.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-11-06 06:25:21)

#352 2020-11-06 06:26:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Speaking of bringing value to the NewMars forum ....

Every now and then I bring up the idea of recruiting members for this forum.  So far as I know, nothing has happened.

Are we just shy?

(th)

#353 2020-11-06 10:32:46

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

We seem to be really good at recruiting spammers, but the difficulty with recruiting is either due to prospective members joining other space exploration forums or, what I've tried and failed to explain to JMartin, that we truly are a special interest group without much broader public appeal (why we have no effective representation within Congress).  We appear to have shown the door to the President who was interested in space exploration, so now we can expect NASA to be transformed back into another political agenda-driven activist organization, rather than a space exploration agency.  So far as I know, there hasn't been a single mention of space exploration by President-elect Biden.

#354 2020-11-06 14:20:24

tahanson43206

For kbd513 re #353

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

The kind of person I'd like to (somehow) recruit to help with projects in this forum (and specifically RobertDyck's Large Ship) are retired but still active engineers, architects, scientists, project managers, biologists, agronomists and whatever other kind of specialization needed to bring the Large Ship from vision to reality.

While there are plenty of space advocacy organizations for ordinary citizens, ** this ** forum is unusual in having a high proportion of PhD level members, ** and ** a high level of participation by well educated and very experienced non-PhD level contributors.

I'd like to see (somehow) a message developed by the current active membership, that could be posted to forums for folks in the disciplines I've mentioned and others I haven't thought of, and offered for publication in newspapers, magazines, news letters and general interest distributions such as the Yahoo news feed I see every day (because Yahoo hosts my email, thanks to a contract with AT&T, which is my Internet provider).

The message should be (could be) short, succinct and designed to invite highly educated, highly experienced people to lend a bit of their time to advance the project.

At some point, the project can(could) develop to the point that Friends of Quark will take it seriously.  Right now, while the project seems to peke a bit of interest, since there is nothing to hang a hat on, no hats get hung.

Again, thank you for your observations on this theme.

(th)

#355 2020-11-06 14:36:08

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

You have to communicate with other people at their level of understanding and interest.  Very few people are truly interested in technical discussions about tools and technologies, which is why the active membership on this forum is so low.  Fewer still are prepared to have their ideas challenged and to come up with practical solutions to highly technical problems.  Most of those people already work for the companies that develop the solutions, which they typically won't be permitted to openly talk about.  This also occurs at the post-graduate level in academia, but very few other places, because here in America we teach people what to think, rather than how to think.  There's an endless number of people willing to fantasize about the world of tomorrow will look like, but the people who want to make previously fanciful ideas an engineering reality are very few and far between.  We could have a very vibrant fan fiction community if we actively recruited for that purpose.  Engineers typically have far less free time to devote to solution development, which is why that's a much more difficult recruitment task.

#356 2020-11-06 17:41:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

The few we did get seem to have already tired. They did come from my out reach in the Mars society place that James had set up but its more like a facebook chat page.....

#357 2020-11-07 13:15:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #356

Thanks for mentioning your outreach effort on the Mars Society forum.

FYI ... I deleted the post about Centauri since you copied it to the correct topic!

Thanks for taking care of that.

(th)

#358 2020-11-07 13:18:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

I  did a few more bans of those that I am ect topics since these were mostly spamming addresses.

Between yesterdays large bans to today we have had roughly 70 new members create user accounts of which probably once we check each for known spamming user name email addresses we will gain less than a handful which pass muster to not be banned.

checking time zones
gmtzones.png

#359 2020-11-08 06:33:38

tahanson43206

SpaceNut .... I'd like to suggest banning the ID that just posted "Impression of Planet Proxima Centauri with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about  Proxima Centauri ." in an unrelated topic.

You gave the ID the benefit of the doubt by moving the post to another topic, but they have repeated their spam effort in another unrelated topic.

ID is digitalwaala

Any link posted by a new member who has not proven trustworthy should be assumed to be a malware trap.

(th)

#360 2020-11-08 08:22:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ya I just saw that....and wonder if its a person at all since the amount of character is about the length of a twitter post...

usa-timezones.png

There have been those claiming to be mountain time

#361 2020-11-11 09:43:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

I just took a look at the newly created user accounts to which between yesterday and today total 14 of which maybe one is a legitimate account and even that is in the group of mountain indicated location which makes it suspect as fraudulent.

Its time to close new user creation in my opinion...
Is there a consensus to doing so amoung our leaders in moderator and admin levels....

Let me know how you would vote on the issue.

I also think we need to look at how to segregate out the old account information for active users as well retaining it to lower user account creation once reenabled.

#362 2020-11-11 10:44:03

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

I think we need a series of challenge questions that have to be answered prior to allowing posting of material visible to the public, such that the Admins or Moderators get to view that first post prior to the public seeing them.  The spammers have been taking advantage of the fact that there is no timely enforcement of posting rules after they gain access and no real screening process for obtaining an account.  They know that their accounts and posts will be wiped, but not before the public sees them, thus they persist with their advert spam.  If the very first post had to explain some particular aspect of Mars exploration that interested the person joining the forums, then it's probable that the successful fraud attempts would drop precipitously.

#363 2020-11-11 12:44:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut and kbd512 ...

I am glad to see this discussion.  I have one question that would help me to offer a recommendation that might be useful.

Can a moderator (or perhaps Administrator) create an account for someone?

I ask because in recent weeks I've met three people who I would like to invite to participate in the forum.  Two are in the maybe stage. 

If there is a way for accounts to be created, then any existing member can nominate someone, and that person can be added.

The text at the registration page should be updated to show how to petition for membership (via an existing member).

This would be similar to companies who have a policy of hiring based upon recommendations by existing employees.

(th)

#364 2020-11-11 16:29:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

The script pages for each of the links and content would need to be done on the parent computer server that the code resides on.
That mean we need the web master to make changes beyond shutting the door for creating accounts for the forum of which the Admins are able to do from my exploration of the source code that each link renders.
I am wondering if my emails are ending up in the spam or junk mail with my current computer email program.

#365 2020-11-12 07:26:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re contact with Webmaster Burk ...

The recent conference has surely taken a tremendous amount of Mr. Burk's time.  The count of videos is 129 out of 150 planned sessions.  The video preparation effort seems to have paused at 129. 

There are surely many requests backed up due to the demands of the conference for attention.

One thing we CAN do while we wait for Mr. Burk is to develop an action plan to provide a way for recruited prospective members to gain access.

The first step (for me at least) is to confirm that you or kbd512 can turn the registration function on and off.

Please see if you ** can ** turn off registration.

If you ** can ** turn the registration function on and off, then we can schedule a time for moderators to create accounts for applications/recruits.

That way, the public will not have access except during the brief window when the moderator creates the account.

The account can be set up with the desired name, and the email address of the applicant.  The test password will be sent to the email address of the applicant, and they can log in and change the password as usual.  This system would be (could be) quite efficient.

The Admin (yourself or kbd512) can announce the open window to the moderators, and they can perform the setups for approved applicants within the window.

Any spam application that comes in during the moderator window can be deleted immediately.

Next is the process of developing invitations ... I'd like to see a generic invitation text posted in the Meta index level.

I like the way you have used "Sticky" to put selected topics at the top of the Index.

You could put a "Sticky" Recruiting Text at the top of the Index.

Moderators (or members for that matter) could copy the text and post it in forums where there might be the kind of person needed to help this forum achieve useful objectives, such as the Large Ship design.

However, in the ordinary course of each of our days (members and moderators) we "meet" people online who are working on similar projects, or who are working on projects that are compatible with those ongoing in this forum.   It would be possible for members to send the generic invitation to people who might be interested in contributing to the NewMars forum in their specialty.

My Hacienda is an existing "place" where expertise can accumulate until "magically" an entire self-sustaining community is present.

Such a community could set up shop on Earth in any of a myriad of remote locations, and have an "instant" city with first world economy and standard of living.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-11-12 08:06:19)

#366 2020-11-12 07:31:24

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re post to NASA Sample Return Mission ...

Thank you for adding your significant contribution to the topic!  I am posting here to avoid over writing your ID in the Active list.

There should be a way to insure that the team working on the sample return mission is aware of and planning to deal with the issues you have raised.

I'd like to invite one or more forum members who are interested in helping to see if they can make contact with the team, and inform them of GW Johnson's post.

(th)

#367 2020-11-12 08:38:18

GW Johnson
Website

I just tried to add an insider's insight into the problems of using a solid propellant system in the extreme environment of Mars.  There's a lot of my solid propellant practical experience and smarts in the solid propellant article I posted on "exrocketman". 

I worked at what was then LTV Aerospace on the "Scout" satellite launcher decades ago when I was young.  I had to model "Scout",  advanced configuration proposals for "Scout",  and Minuteman-III in order to evaluate some very unusual mission proposals while I was there.  About a year later,  one of those missions flew. After that,  I spent 16 years in two tenures at a rocket plant building solid motors for tactical missile weapons.  A lot of that was solid gas generator-fed ramjet work in addition to conventional solid rocket work.  I was a new product design/development/test engineer.

Those two tenures were separated by a 3 year stint at what was then Tracor Aerospace in the aircraft and ICBM countermeasure business doing new product development.  Among many other things,  I had to evaluate solid propellant thrusted decoys for ICBM's,  and I did some more that in my second tenure at the rocket plant.  Entry is a rather harsh environment,  too,  just hot instead of cold,  but you do get cold soaked just before you start entry.  That makes it much worse.

The aerospace downturn of the mid 1990's got me laid off in a politically-motivated plant closure, along with almost 2 million other engineers.  I had to find something else to do for a living after that.  Most of that was teaching.  Anywhere from 7th grade to college gradate school.  I taught math,  physics,  and engineering for a variety of institutions.  Did some civilian engineering,  too,  including things as diverse as foundation design and hazardous material identification and disposal.

I'm just glad I can contribute. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#368 2020-11-12 09:33:17

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #367

Your presence in this forum contributes significantly to whatever gravitas it may have.

In light of SpaceNut's recent initiative to consider revising forum admission policy, I see the potential to dramatically increase the number of members like Calliban, who (I am assuming) found this forum unassisted, and has decided the forum is worth investment of some of his time.

I have forwarded your post to the email addresses given below, which are from a NASA web site about the Sample Return Mission.

The ideal outcome is for the message to reach someone who is responsible for the rocket design, who will allow him or her self to consider your observations.

Grey Hautaluoma / Joshua Handal
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0668 / 202-358-2307
grey.hautaluoma-1@nasa.gov / joshua.a.handal@nasa.gov

The default result of this initiative will be no response.

On the other hand, something could happen.

I put this in the category of "If you don't ask, you'll never learn anything"

(th)

#369 2020-11-12 12:19:35

GW Johnson
Website

Tahanson43206:

Bear in mind that I'm an old retired guy.  I turned 70 this year. 

The only reason I'm not sitting around the house all day is (1) I came out of retirement to help a friend with his car-fixing shop,  and (2) this is a farm out here where I live. 

But,  I do still consult.  In many things. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#370 2020-11-12 14:48:43

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #369

I am aware of the imposition of my requests on your time and energy, and grateful for your many investments in this forum.

Those are ** on top ** of your many posts to your ExRocketman blog, where your legacy is (more or less) under your control.  I trust you've made sure to backup every post to the blog.

You and Elderflower and Oldfart1939 are a resource for a while longer, with any luck and the creek don't rise.

(th)

#371 2020-11-12 16:20:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

The forum is now closed to new registrations from the regular links.
Now to start closing the accounts which are inactive and are spammer connected....

#372 2020-11-12 18:41:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #371

Here is what that looks like to a spammer:

You are not logged in.Topics: Active | Unanswered
Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.
Info
This forum is not accepting new registrations.

Go back

Jump to

So back to my question ... is this something you can turn on and off without too much difficulty?

It would be good to be able to admit new members who are recruited by members.

(th)

#373 2020-11-12 19:44:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

The issue is I do not have access to the codes location for any rewriting that would be needed in order to up grade the registration process forms.
So its all off or all back on as thats all there is in the program features.
It might be possible to change the content of a user names content from within the user list as the admin and that would be the work around to fill valid Identifications in with real context rather than the junk we have now with the banned accounts.

#374 2020-11-12 19:53:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #373

Thanks for confirming you have control over the registration function!  As I understand the situation, you can click a button to turn the feature on or turn it off.

That means that if I (or any member) recruits someone we think would be a member able to contribute to the forum, we could ask you to turn on the registration for a brief window of time, and then turn it back off after the registration is completed.

The actual registration would be done by a Moderator or an Administrator, so we could coordinate with you.

Are you interested in pursuing this way of doing things?

(th)

#375 2020-11-12 20:11:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

The flood gates would be wide open during the time which we are trying to get that new person registered.

The feature is under the administration functions on the option page.

I will try my other thoughts on a banned account and let you know how easy it would be to convert them into useable accounts while leaving the door closed.

Board footer