New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#3576 2024-05-20 07:54:42

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut ....

We'll have to try again to create a Projects category.

Please rename the one you created to "Infrastructure Development"

Please create a new Projects category and please do not add any sub forums.

Here is a suggestion for how we might use the text only structure of our forum to help to manage a project:

Per ChatGPT4o:

Project Name: Ship Design and Construction Project
  • Project Overview and Guidelines

• Post 1: Project Objective and Vision

• Post 2: Scope and Deliverables

• Post 3: Key Milestones and Deadlines

• Post 4: Guidelines and Best Practices

• Post 5: Communication Protocols

Project Timeline and Major Milestones
  • Project Timeline and Milestones

• Post 1: Initial Project Timeline

• Subsequent Posts: Updates and Adjustments to the Timeline

Task Definitions and Assignments
  • Task Definitions and Assignments

• Post 1: Task 1 Description, Responsible Person, Deadline

• Post 2: Task 2 Description, Responsible Person, Deadline

• Continue for all tasks

Design and Engineering Discussions
  • Design and Engineering

• Post 1: Hull Design Discussion

• Post 2: Propulsion System Discussion

• Post 3: Electrical Systems Discussion

• Continue for other design aspects

Procurement and Resources
  • Procurement and Resources

• Post 1: Material Requirements

• Post 2: Supplier Contact Information

• Post 3: Procurement Status Updates

Construction Phase Discussions
  • Construction Phase

• Post 1: Construction Schedule

• Post 2: Progress Updates

• Post 3: Issue Tracking

Quality Assurance and Testing
  • QA and Testing

• Post 1: QA Procedures

• Post 2: Testing Schedules

• Post 3: Test Results and Reports

Risk Management and Mitigation
  • Risk Management

• Post 1: Risk Identification

• Post 2: Risk Assessment and Impact

• Post 3: Mitigation Strategies

Status Reports and Meetings
  • Status Reports and Meetings

• Post 1: Weekly Status Report - Date

• Post 2: Meeting Minutes - Date

• Continue for each report and meeting

Off-site Resources and References
  • External Resources

• Post 1: Link to Design Schematics

• Post 2: Link to Material Specifications

• Continue for all external resources

Implementation Notes:

• Consistency: Use a consistent format for titles and posts to ensure clarity and ease of navigation.

• Updates: Regularly update posts to reflect the latest information and progress.

• Linking: Use links within posts to connect related discussions and external resources.

• Moderation: Assign moderators to each topic to manage discussions, ensure relevance, and update information as needed.

• Documentation: Encourage team members to document their progress and decisions in the relevant topics to maintain a comprehensive project log.

(th)

#3577 2024-05-20 07:59:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

Please note that we only have three elements to work with...

The sub forum name is the name of the project.

We can create topics, and within those there are posts.

No discussion takes place in a project structure.

Discussion happens in the part of the forum where discussion is welcome.

By the time a project is put into motion, all discussion that may be needed happens separately.

No discussion is recorded in the project records.  Instead, the results of work completed are reported.

(th)

#3578 2024-05-20 08:52:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

This is why I came up with the wiki format where the topics are companions to the project. The person in charge of the wiki is the project manager for the wiki creation which puts the above outline of tasks as content for the project wiki topic index it takes the task of updating the initial post is done by the owner of the project.

Robert for the large ship should start the project with the large ship in its folder with the initial wiki from your above quote outline for some of the tasks that are needed to discuss in companion topics that reside in the folder. As you can see there are more companions that are not listed with in that outline as you can see.

My first outline copies the Nasa steps of bring a project forward as it includes more timeline and actions to bring it through each step.

What you have listed as posts are the topics of discussion on as links and what follows each is the outcome as gathered from the companions for each. These consolidated summaries are added by the project owner into the initial project summary outline. This will reduce the need to add topics stickies to find what we want to add content to that may be buried in the forum's topics list.

The initial topic wiki for the project creates the white paper proposal with nearly all of the requirements to build from and what it will cost as well as how long it will take plus material as well as construction techniques to make use of. Discussion companions support the requires and how we come to these specifications that are project wiki content.

I know that subforums are possible as we did have them in the past so we can grow the structure if needed.

The outline above allows to reduce the number of contributor engineering talents from the size of Nasa to those that are volunteering what they can to the discussions for the manager.

Look at the olfart1939 for first mission of exploration. It's still missing quite a bit but many of the companion topics are part of other projects. Another that comes to mind is the "Proposal: Storing Energy, Introducing a "Cell", a Soil Factory on Mars" that comes under settlement as well.

#3579 2024-05-20 10:13:24

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new Category...

Thank you for making the change!  It looks good, and the contents make sense.

Let's forget about projects for a while, and perhaps forever.

That was an interesting exercise.

I have asked kbd512 to look into making a full backup of the database.

If you want to create a WIKI, that is a worthy idea, and it needs to be pursued with consultation among and between the Admins.

Wiki has it's own data structure, and the forum environment does not lend itself to that application.

A subforum is a term that kbd512 used, and I repeated it.

WE need to make sure we Admins are all using the correct terms for the structure of the environment.

As I think about it, the clone may provide a useful reference for discovery of what the terms mean in the constext of FluxBB.

All I know for sure at this point is:

Category is the top level of the tree structure
Forums are below Categories
Topics are below Forums
Posts are inside Topics

It may be that we do not current support subforums.

Another way to look at it is this way:

NewMars is a forum.

A Category is the top level of structure in a forum like NewMars
Subforums are structures that are created within categories
Topics are then created within subforums
Posts are created within topics as usual

Perhaps that is the origin of the term subforum.

(th)

#3580 2024-05-20 13:08:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Found it the subforum to a forum code.

https://github.com/daris/fluxbb-sub-forum

I got a feeling that we can go more than just 1 level deep into any forum but have not read all of the code that was located. The again this is about table management for how to locate the topics from within the mysql data base.

how the base page looked after compaints of being mars centric
https://web.archive.org/web/20060319092 … om/forums/

The period of when we had difficulty to maintain a website was on the
https://web.archive.org/web/20100227043 … om/forums/

It realigned the topics for the human folder.
https://web.archive.org/web/20100223010 … um.php?f=4
https://web.archive.org/web/20100223010 … m.php?f=53

#3581 2024-05-20 14:13:11

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re link to subforums offer....

I do not trust that code... We've had enough trouble bringing FluxBB up to 2024 to run here. 

The bottom line is that we do not currently have subforums.

When kbd512 used the term, it cause me to become confused, and he is not here to explain the reference.

For now, I will assume the term does not apply to our currently running software.

You did not actually confirm what I had written, so i will try again.

It appears we have:

Forum: NewMars

Categories: Meta New Mars and others

Forums: Mars Society and others

Topics: What is happening in Mars Society and others

In this list we do not currently have sub-forums.

Please confirm.

Thanks again for making the title change to the new Category.

Please do not make any more major changes until kbd512 has a chance to perform a backup.

(th)

#3582 2024-05-20 17:20:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

The phpbb3 education section looks really good but how many topics might expect to see under each section. What type of topics would be desired?

#3583 2024-05-20 18:03:07

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3582

First, thank you (again) for looking at the phpBB3 test forum on Azure.  You are the primary audience for this demonstration.

kbd512 asked how we might proceed during our Google Meeting on Sunday.  I felt then, and still feel, that we would do best to implement the updated FluxBB now that it is clearly working on the clone, and not only that, but actually working ** better ** because it handles AISE events without choking.  We have an opportunity to keep everything we are familiar with, while advancing our forum to the 2024 PHP and MySQL support packages.

That said, the phpBB3 package is attractive for a number of reasons.  However, it would be a significant effort to convert, even if we have conversion scripts available. The issue is testing. Every single conversion script must be tested. The results of the conversion to a new database format must be checked with independent software that we can write but which does not currently exist (as far as I know).

Second, thank you for beginning to think about adding an Education category to the existing forum.  You only have ** one ** certified educator in active membership, and you could ask him for advice.   We have provided a venue for his educational material via the existing forum structure, but as far as I know, despite efforts to publicize the course material, no one has taken advantage of the opportunity.

(th)

#3584 2024-05-20 18:55:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Condescending much...

The demonstrated ability to make a project category on the clone but if KBD512 or RobertDyck wants to do so that can be done as well good luck.

#3585 2024-05-20 19:27:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

Thanks for the feedback ... I have revised the post #3583

(th)

#3586 2024-05-21 08:11:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

In the "good news" category .... I am happy to be able to report that the link I set up in YouTube, to point to RobertDyck's Large Ship topic still works.  I was worried that the massive changes made recently to the database would break the links people have set up to reach content in the NewMars database.

I have only one data point to report, but at least ** that ** one link is still working.

The ID of the topic has not changed, despite it's having been moved to a different category.

The Search Engines are storing links to posts in the NewMars forum, and they should still be working as well, as long as the post ID is preserved.

My main concern is links to the course materials written by GW Johnson. We are trying to find an audience for that work, and the stability of the forum database is important, so that the course materials is available when prospective students attempt to reach it.

(th)

#3587 2024-05-21 13:36:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut, kbd512 and anyone else who may be interested ... newmars.com appears to be working again.

I just tried the URL newmars.com and it worked.

Thanks to whoever took care of that problem.

(th)

#3588 2024-05-24 19:54:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... the weekend is here...

Last week you were working on a car project (as I recall)...

What will be on your agenda this weekend?

You are in hurricane alley ... I saw/heard reports that this year's hurricane season will be one of the most active in years.

You'll probably be able to collect rainwater if you have enough buckets.

(th)

#3589 2024-05-25 07:31:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re your reorganization of the forum, and introduction of the new Category.

This post is intended to provide positive feedback for your changes.

I confess to having been taken aback by the scope of the changes you made, after having made no changes at all since cutting off the spammers.  However, as each day goes by, and as our members seem to be accepting and working with the new structure, I am coming to appreciate the work you did, and the thought you put into it.

I'm planning to ask kbd512 about taking a backup of the system during the Sunday meeting.

I'll also ask him about adding the new "like" field to the Posts table. 
That new field is working well in the clone, and it would provide a foundation for adding the "like" feature to NewMars Prime.

You indicated you would be willing to allow kbd512 to re-introduce the proposed Projects Category.

I am very concerned that if we do open such a Category that it not descend into the free flow of the discussions we have running in the rest of the forum. A project is a highly disciplined activity. A discussion is a freewheeling, creative undertaking, and over the years, NewMars members have provided thousands of interesting and often inspiring posts.  A Project is not inspiring. It is not creative. It allows for no modification without careful study of the consequences.

I am in the process of starting to set up a small project to prepare a home for sale, under the direction of a realtor.  Potentially dozens of contractors will be involved and the work must be completed in a time frame and within a tight budget.

(th)

#3590 2024-05-25 10:46:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

The last attempt I made was creating an engineering category with the project folder with its forum, but I set all of the abilities to only the admin member teir to stop the others from making a post within anything that would be present.

It remains invisible to those that are not logged in.

In the past Josh cryer had set up a mars direct forum and it was set up that required login for the custom topic area. It was hidden from the view of others except the members that were allowed to post with in it after a secondary log into the folder and topic.

#3591 2024-05-25 16:37:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re post in kbd512's SSTO topic ..

h t t p s:/ /e n.w i k i p e d ia.o r g /wiki/Single-stage-to-orbit#/media/File:SSTO_vs_TSTO_for_LEO_Mission.tif

That;s what I get when I ask for the contents of the link...

I tried the URL after removing the spaces and it worked.

Here is the url that showed up in the address bar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-st … ission.tif

The URL looks identical to the one SpaceNut provided.  I'm wondering if the file was archived.

This may be archived, and possibly needs some time to move from backup to live storage?

Update a bit later ... SpaceNut added the link above to the original post, so now the chart shows up.

(th)

#3592 2024-05-25 18:17:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... I need some help finding the right place for new work by GW Johnson...

He prepared 7 files about SSTO studies. Please figure out if this work needs it's own topic in the new structure:

I noticed a whole set of new topics on the forums.  I saw that the big ship stuff was moved there,  and a topic area fr SSTO put there,  with several threads in it.  What I have been doing toward SSTO probably belongs in that SSTO topic,  but I'm unsure which thread,  or if it deserves one of its own.  I've added a 4th worksheet to the launch sizing spreadsheet,  which addresses a class of vertically-launched reusable SSTO concepts,  and determines a rough bound on what is possible using over-simplified rocket equation calculations.

(th)

#3593 2024-05-25 18:19:34

tahanson43206

SpaceNut, I got an ASIE with the post above. I cut out about half the text.

The post went into the new clone without a problem.

If kbd512 is able to attend the Google Meeting tomorrow, I'll ask if we can move forward with the new 1.5.12 files.

(th)

#3594 2024-05-25 18:25:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

It appears that the forums image php portion of the display was not able to do the file extension *.tif but I found the other that did display.

#3595 2024-05-26 17:08:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... have you thought about GW's request for where to put his new spreadsheet and files for rocket calcuations?

If you've posted anything I've missed it.

(th)

#3596 2024-05-26 20:37:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

I got another AISE this evening.

I put the entire post into the clone, and it accepted without a hiccup.

kbd512 had family activities this evening, so we'll have to wait another week before we can discuss installing the new clone software at Mars Society.

I am definitely ready to go.

If there is anything you have not yet tested, now is the time to test it while I have the entire package cleaned up and ready to go.

(th)

#3597 2024-05-27 07:58:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well, why do we have topics if we keep putting the discussion in everywhere but the topic that it's intended for. While the GW topic is intended to be a like or temporary location it's not the topic where the remaining details are located. Consolidation of information is what brings discussion towards completion of a project paper.

The Libre office project software can output the data of tasks that can be converted for a wiki timeline topic of task creation. Call it timeline management. The tasks are further discussed as each are inputted into, the project timeline. The tasks are collected by the project owner and complied same as the Oldfart1939  Mars Expedition Number One, RobertDyck's Largeship and steven's cell Storage into the owner's master project information posts.

We need to be almost compulsive to putting content to where it belongs.

#3598 2024-05-27 18:59:00

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... Please let us know when you get Project Libre installed in Windows.

Here is what it looks like in Ubuntu:

uBUdrbC.png

(th)

#3599 2024-05-28 07:25:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

since the reorganization you carried out, the SSTO topics have increased dramatically...

Index» Search» Topics with posts containing 'ssto'
Pages: 1
Search results
Topic    Forum    Replies    Last post
SSTO Minimum Isp to Achieve Orbit by kbd512
Single Stage To Orbit    1    Yesterday 23:40:36 by tahanson43206
SSTO Engine Technology by kbd512
Single Stage To Orbit    1    2024-05-26 10:05:14 by SpaceNut
SSTO Airframe and TPS Materials by kbd512
Single Stage To Orbit    6    2024-05-26 10:00:22 by SpaceNut
SSTO Operating Costs by kbd512
Single Stage To Orbit    6    2024-05-26 09:42:13 by SpaceNut
Vertical Launch Assist Technologies for SSTO by tahanson43206
Single Stage To Orbit    5    2024-05-25 13:21:06 by SpaceNut
Star-Raker proposed SSTO from the ‘70’s. by RGClark
Single Stage To Orbit    7    2024-05-22 15:27:30 by kbd512
New high strength alloys for SSTO’s? by RGClark
Single Stage To Orbit    8    2024-05-20 21:55:38 by kbd512
Sticky: SSTO Sub Forum Policy by kbd512
Single Stage To Orbit    3    2024-05-20 14:33:26 by SpaceNut
A SSTO research project. by RGClark [ 1 2 ]
Single Stage To Orbit    44    2024-05-20 12:38:20 by kbd512
SSTO - Mathematical Analysis Gravity vs Stages by tahanson43206
Single Stage To Orbit    22    2024-05-15 17:27:44 by RGClark
Could the SuperHeavy booster be SSTO? by RGClark
Interplanetary transportation    16    2023-04-25 22:45:38 by Void
SSME based SSTO’s. by RGClark
Science, Technology, and Astronomy    9    2021-06-30 15:34:22 by kbd512
BFS becomes SSTO with altitude compensation. by RGClark
Single Stage To Orbit    12    2019-01-25 13:56:01 by GW Johnson
Reusable LOX/Kerosene SSTO with drop tanks by Antius [ 1 2 3 4 ]
Interplanetary transportation    92    2018-07-12 14:09:26 by GW Johnson
SpaceX BFR tanker as an SSTO. by RGClark
Interplanetary transportation    11    2017-10-28 23:46:22 by SpaceNut
Pages: 1

RGClark has posed a most interesting puzzle for NewMars members....

How to put 13 tons of payload into orbit using only 200 tons at launch, and an SSTO concept.

From a lay person's perspective this seems unlikely to be possible, but there is a lot of talent in this forum, so perhaps there is a solution.

I consider the SpaceShuttle to have been a true SSTO.

It lit it's engines at launch, and discarded boosters and the external tank while maintaining thrust all the way to orbit.

It has been pointed out that a second set of engines was used to finish the ride to orbit after the external tank was discarded.

I don't see how that makes a difference to my argument. This ** was ** a true SSTO.  That stage made it's way to orbit without a staging event.

Furthermore, the vehicle returned safely to Earth.

What is needed is a solution that emulates the Space Shuttle but keeps all the hardware for reuse.

If the only expense for a flight is fuel, then it is possible to put more mass into orbit than a purist might think necessary.

I'm inviting the members of this forum to find a solution for space flight that lives up to the vision of kbd512, for an SSTO that returns safely to Earth, and discards nothing.

(th)

#3600 2024-05-28 17:10:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

here is the image for the libre after putting in a few items for a timeline.

https://imgur.com/tDFY6jx

tDFY6jx.jpg

Call this the control for the project that only 1 person organizes and with the post the tracking of all discussions as the index that would be part of the project.

Board footer