New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#3476 2024-04-27 18:10:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Housekeeping

Seems that I am not able to log into the phpbb3 board and that the forgot password is not functioning.

I finally remembered to choose a moderator and to change a user to a group is done under the user's profile for the clone.

#3477 2024-04-27 18:19:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3476

I'll check on the problem shortly... I was on the system a few minutes ago...

Regarding the forgot password feature ... I think that may depend upon having the email subsystem working?  I don't know how to set that up. Thanks for the reminder to try to set that up.  I am not sure if the Azure system supports outgoing email. In addition, I saw settings here and there that had to do with email, but that was a low priority when first setting up the board.

I'm working on posting some new files for GW Johnson.

I had intended to work on the Group problem in the clone.

I'll try to clear the task list as soon as I can.

Update ... I just logged into phpBB3 ... do you want me to reset your password?

(th)

#3478 2024-04-27 18:22:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

yes, that way I can continue with learning about the permissions so as to set the topics and forums correctly.

#3479 2024-04-27 18:49:03

tahanson43206

Hi SpaceNut re #3478

I just moved from the email PC where I was working on files for GW Johnson, to the development PC. I will change your password
Give me a sec while I do a quick lookup of a suitable password.
OK.. the password is changed to a six letter name of a manufacturer - you replaced a head gasket ... all lower case.

(th)

#3480 2024-04-27 19:56:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nice it made it in so no worries but sure was slow as it took a couple of tries.

#3481 2024-04-27 20:12:37

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3480

Thanks for the good news the temporary password worked!

I figured not too many hackers could guess the password during the time between the change and you logging in!

I just spent some quality time with ChatGPT4 working on admin_groups.php.  The complaint was about the location of some right parentheses. We shifted the parentheses a few characters to the right in five statements, and Inteliphense is happy. However, I still don't know if that is going to let the program work for you.  I was wanting to replace the program at Azure, but the connection dropped out on me, and now I can't get in at all. OK ... I tried again and am unable to access the system. I am at the bottom of the totem pole (as I think I've explained in the past) and Azure gives me machine cycles when it's paying customers release the resources. they are consuming. It is 10 PM New Hampshire time, but it is still early evening in California, where there might be some heavy usage going on.  I'll try again tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I'll go back to work with ChatGPT4 to see if we can figure out why the word search feature is not working.

I'm worried we may have another column that is set up incorrectly from the database restores, or perhaps we are running out of memory because the word table is huge.
(th)

#3482 2024-04-28 10:15:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well, I am back from the second side of the Volvo, and it went smoothly just as the first had with more rain showers. Have taken a few minutes to look at the front pads and they seem thick enough to go for a little while but will need changing later in the year.

Got an exhaust link right at the flanges for the down flex pipe and the first resonator as they are mostly gone so will need a least expensive solution for this which may mean welding or clamping in a replacement section after hacking the flanges from both sections.

Found power steering is leaking from what appears to be the pump seal on the shaft, so will need to wash all of the excess fluid off to be able to be sure of it. It's an added cost that I really do not need but can do once I buy a replacement pump.

Good to see that AI is good for this work of code issues.

#3483 2024-04-28 10:37:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3482

Glad to see you were able to finish both pad replacements between rain showers!

here is a quote from the Housekeeping topic in the clone:

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re your observation about the large Calendar post...

Thanks for your observation!

I am hoping you will be able to find time today to test the Admin Options again. ChatGPT4 and I cleaned up some parentheses yesterday, but I don't think they would have been the cause of the problem you saw. If you can test that before tonight's Google meeting it would be helpful.

I can ask kbd512 for help if you can provide details of the failure.

We know the problem is with admin_groups.php. What we don't know is the line where failure occurs.

(th)

#3484 2024-04-28 10:43:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems that the admin_groups.php has been fixed in the clone currently as the table that was missing is available for changes in profiles of the users to be reassigned with.

#3485 2024-04-28 10:50:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3484

Thanks for this encouraging news that admin_options.php may be working!

Please confirm that you are no longer seeing" Warning:undefined array key" when you submit. I'm holding a printout of that bug report.

Also, please see if you can create the new Inactive Member group. I would like to move our 1000 or so inactive members into that group,and unban them.

It is embarrassing to have to ban members who are inactive, but that was all we could do when the hackers were overwhelming us.

(th)

#3486 2024-04-28 10:57:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re a post about roofing in kbd512's thermal energy topic ....

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 42#p222442

I'd like to offer a suggestion that you look into a metal roofing option to cover that 2005 roof.  Check with GW Johnson for advice. The prices of metal vary greatly. He will be able (hopefully) to tell you what he's been using for the past 30 years, through Texas weather.

You might be able to install the roofing yourself. I installed metal roofing on my garage roof, and have never regretted the decision.

(th)

#3487 2024-04-28 13:21:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... I'm back from looking at your experiment with InActive member group... I got good vibes ... I realize you only worked with a few accounts to get the feel for it, but it definitely looks promising ... Here is what I found when i asked for InActive members:

User list
Username     Title     Posts     Registered
DALTON     InActive     2     2004-07-02
danajohnson     Banned     6     2005-02-18
Danica22     Banned     1     2004-01-26
Daniel Cook     InActive     1     2005-12-23
darkrats     InActive     1     2017-12-23
Dave     InActive     1     2002-09-24
daverock4     InActive     1     2006-06-20
DaveRodda     InActive     1     2018-11-13
davidcbny     InActive     1     2006-07-29
DeaDLyWulf     InActive     2     2002-08-27
death by thermite     InActive     1     2003-11-05
deltron1     InActive     1     2004-05-15
denarjan     InActive     2     2003-10-11
denial28     InActive     1     2019-06-22
Despina     InActive     1     2004-06-19
devinshwan     InActive     1     2018-12-15
Dexter2999     InActive     20     2016-03-08
diginomics     InActive     1     2004-08-13

I assume that if we resume the email outreach campaign later this year, we will be able to bring potential old members back showing InActive instead of banned, which ** should ** make a difference. 

Once you get the new member category set up in NewMars Prime, I can write a script to update banned members to InActive. 

There might be one or two members we want to leave banned, but there aren't very many of those, as I recall.

(th)

#3488 2024-04-28 15:23:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes, I could have done more but the banned table on the clone is not established and there is no point for it.
Same for the test id's as they can remain in the banned so as to keep them locked when we are ready, I can set all of the normal users back to active or inactive under the change before doing a backup of the data before we take the site down and re-establish it on the newer platform.

#3489 2024-04-28 16:41:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Thanks for working on the Inactive member group on the Clone.

It looks good, and you have shown that it works.

Now that you have completed the successful experiment on the clone, please implement the change on the Primary site.

There seems to be some misunderstanding.  If we decide to keep the FluxBB software (as updated) then there is no need to take the site down as would be the case if we decided to convert to phpBB3.

if we decide to upgrade to the later version of FluxBB, we won't change the database at all.

I'll ask kbd512 tonight to be sure, but I expect he would be able to swap php modules one at a time without taking the site down.

He would have to restart the apache server when updating to php 8, but that could happen after all the modules have been swapped.

I don't see any reason to hold off on creating the Inactive group in NewMars Prime, now that you have shown it can be done and that it works.

(th)

#3490 2024-04-28 20:06:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut....

Coming out of today's Google Meeting, I would like to thank you for your discovery of several bugs in the clone, and for providing guidance and assistance as we went along.

kbd512 seems to think the software is coming along, but it definitely needs more vigorous testing.

To be specific, we need to exercise ** every ** function that exists.

At some point, we need to try to enlist RobertDyck to help, because he is the only remaining Moderator, and we need to test all the moderator functions.

(th)

#3491 2024-04-29 17:22:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks for the email to James.

#3492 2024-04-29 17:56:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... As SeniorAdministrator, you have the opportunity to lead the group toward confirmation the new FluxBB version is reliable.  You and I have found some bugs and fixed them, but I don't think we can assume everything is going to work. There is no need for us to wait until after the software is installed to find bugs. Please write a test plan so we can divide up the work among the four admins.

If you want to test everything that an Admin can do, that would be fine with me.

Alternatively, you can spread the work out over the four of us.

RobertDyck may not be able to participate because he is in the middle of activities that are taking up most of his time and attention.

After we have thoroughly tested Admin tools, we can drop me back to Moderator and I can test Moderator functions.

Let's move as fast as we can on this. Mr. Burk could give the all clear at any time.

(th)

#3493 2024-04-29 18:23:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Working in the clone it's got just the once query line.

Most of the forms are just search functions for a table so if you get a response from 1 of the headings then one can assume that the total form will function as its column name related in the tables.

The ban/unban and edit of those have proven to work as well.

Will test some more of the user profiles but I am expecting no more issues.

Have already set a new user group change members and other such in allowing post category rights.

Most tests are to make sure the data returned from a tabler entry or search are true or correct.

#3494 2024-04-29 18:55:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3493

You may have missed my suggestion that we keep the query report. We are working in the Azure environment, and I am trying to figure out if I need to pay for more Ram. The query summary shows how much of our 1 Gb ram the MySql is using. please take the look at it. If MySql is taking 500 Gb, then all the other code has to run in the remainder. We can turn that off in production.

I decided to run the entire package through Inteliphense.  The first php file had already been cleaned up.

The second has three errors.

It appears there is more work to do.

I'll get started tomorrow and work my way through the entire collection.

This work is being done on the development PC.  I'll upload the completed PHP files to Azure when they are clean.

When I'm done, you'll have the clean package ready to give to kbd512 to install at Mars Society.

The work you are doing to test the system is important and it needs to continue. The work I am doing is to clean up the PHP complaints. Most of these will not affect the running of the application, but as we have seen with the parentheses in the wrong place, an error can knock out a function like Admin Groups.

(th)

#3495 2024-04-29 19:08:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

Programming syntax is an art to see, and programs can miss quite a bit, but it sure helps.

#3496 2024-04-29 21:36:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

I'm putting this observation here to keep it clear of your ongoing thought process in the Energy topics.

Something came to mind, as I read your posts (and those of other members) in several different topics with a common theme of thermal energy.

It occurred to me that someone who is innovative might combine heat pumps with thermal energy storage.

The post I'm thinking about included a quote about the subsurface having a constant temperature year round ....

The premise of that piece is that you have a constant supply of electricity to drive the pump in whichever direction it needs to go, depending upon your needs as a home wner.

However, as your experience has shown, a supply of electricity cannot be guaranteed in some parts of the world.

Combining a thermal storage device, that you pack with energy from the grid, would be able to sustain a family for a week despite loss of utility electricity.

You spoke of wood, but in actual fact, I am under the impression you have not heated the home with wood for many years.

I'd like to (at least try) encourage you to design, fund, install and operate a clean system with an energy store, utility power for good times, and the ability to pull energy out of the store for a week when the inevitable bad times arrive.

If you make the investment with a long time frame in mind, you will be comfortable into retirement, when your income will be dramatically reduced.

(th)

#3497 2024-04-30 17:08:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

The wood was in the lower part of the raised ranch style home and its quite a bit cooler in winter as the cinder block wall is exposed to the cold of winter and would not allow for the heat produced to rise to the upper part of the home. The would be used in an external chamber since its exhaust from the flue would enter the sand to give the otherwise waste heat for later use.

It would be used on days that would have low to no heat being generated by the solar concentrating parabolic system.

#3498 2024-04-30 17:52:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

This post is about the one in Heat Pumps ...
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 21#p222521

The quote you provided pointed out the greater cost of vertical heat pump coil layout using current technology.

This post is offered as a reminder that advances are taking place in drilling technology for large commercial projects.

I saw a report recently that indicated unexpected progress using microwaves may have improvied performance of drill using this technique.

The most recent earlier report I had seen indicated that results were disappointing, but that was an academic effort.  It is possible that an all out commercial effort might have produced better results.

I bring this up because a break through in vertical drilling technology would (or could) help to smooth the way for heat pump technology were lots are small or where it is preferable to go deep than to disturb a lawn or other large surface area.

(th)

#3499 2024-05-01 09:07:10

Calliban

Info
Bad CSRF hash. You were referred to this page from an unauthorized source.

This happens almost every time I try and log in.  Any idea what is going wrong here?

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#3500 2024-05-01 09:19:55

Void

I have had that in the past.  It often helps to navigate to a post you did recently and then try to log on.  Persistence also helps.

I had a terrible problem with it in the past, sometimes having to try 20 times.

I was good for a while, but I have seen a bit of it lately, but not too bad in my case.

Done.

Done.

Board footer