New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#3276 2024-01-12 08:03:07

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut .... we have a request from our correspondent in the Knowledge Forum.

He asked for links to posts by Calliban that discuss sturdy machinery and sturdy systems that can last hundreds of years when well built..

There are a great many of those in the archive.

If you have time to create an index to some of those, please put it into the Calliban Postings topic, where (I'm hoping) our correspondent will be able to find it.

(th)

#3277 2024-01-12 20:44:37

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... I was curious to know what snow accumulation might have occurred recently in New Hampshire, after all that storm activity on the East Cost.

https://weatherstreet.com/weather-forec … -cover.htm

The colors seemed to indicate things are fairly mild there right now.  I noted the dark red color for greater than 150 inches.

That value would not be on the chart if it were not possible.  That would be ** some ** snowfall, for sure!

(th)

#3278 2024-01-13 15:14:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

We received a lot of rain today. The previous storm did bring rain and some snow. We do have some snow remaining.

#3279 2024-01-14 09:29:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Today is a good day with some clouds but all in all its a good solar day. The best location for solar still is my well area of the lawn along the property line.
I have seen some cheap ground sand videos that for heating and for cooling with or without heat pump use.
The heat loop collects it during the summer months when its hot dumping the cooling loops exchange into the thermal pit of sand.
Of course the heating loop goes in reverse for winter.

#3280 2024-01-14 11:03:23

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thanks for linking and posting the images that go with the Nickel-63 to Copper-63 battery.  It was nice to see the practical application of the isotope as predicted by Calliban.  Thanks to the research/investigation published in the forum, we now understand that the supply of the isotope will be limited for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the good news of improved weather in New Hampshire.

In your post about politics, the state should be Iowa, not Ohio.

The Nation is watching New Hampshire with intensity, as Nikki Haley makes a run for a leadership position behind Trump.

(th)

#3281 2024-01-14 15:41:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

C o r r e c t e d s t a t e f o r t h a t p o l i t i c a l p o s t e r r o r.

Just like the weather for NH is fickle'd.

For we are now in a national weather alert, for snow squalls and blinding conditions.

apachee error

#3282 2024-01-14 17:43:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3281

Thanks for reporting the latest AISE, and for fixing the state to Iowa!

Maersk is a major shipping line based in Denmark. I heard a report that they have one of the longest continuous monarchy, at 900 years or so.. The are in the news because the Queen just abdicated, and a son will take over.

I looked for a topic we have about monarchy on Mars, but couldn't find it.

(th)

#3283 2024-01-14 20:27:41

tahanson43206

This is a SpaceNut special item ....

The Internet decided I would be interested in weather in New Hampshire, so it showed a video of sea foam washing up into a coastal city in New Hampshire.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4e9DJ7PSkag

I assume that SpaceNut is nowhere near the coast, but New Hampshire is laid out so that everyone is within driving distance of the coast.

(th)

#3284 2024-01-15 09:49:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

The wife received the news alert the other day as it came from the WMUR TV app that she has on her phone. She wondered why it was not being cleaned up and what caused it.
Today is a sun filled day to be happy about with the cold that came through in the evening the day before.

#3285 2024-01-15 10:57:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... re #3284

Mrs. SpaceNut asks a good question ... how ** does ** a community clean up sea foam?

I would think it would be smelly and gummy and generally unpleasant to have around.

I suppose good old fashioned rain will take care of it eventually.

That is not a problem likely to occur on Mars, where sand piling up is more likely.

(th)

#3286 2024-01-16 10:47:55

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

This post is about the supply of water available on your property ...

While the water itself is not drinkable, or even usable for most household purposes, it occurred to me that it might be useful to melt snow and ice delivered by Ma Nature to your property.  That precipitation is comparatively clean, so it can be used for household purposes, if it were melted.

It seems (to me at least)  possible that the underground water could melt the snow and ice due to such thermal energy as the underground supply may contain.

The melting operation would need to keep the two kinds of water separate, of course.

(th)

#3287 2024-01-16 19:16:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

NH water will freeze above the frost line in the ground and on the surface as it is not salty as the MIT system would desire to build.
That means a coolant such as anti-freeze, freon in the heat collection will then need a heat exchanger and it if going to be drinkable water then the freon and food glycol is required, and that exchanger must be under the frostline.

Solar concentrating is the only means to get the system hot enough to cause it to evaporate fast or to boil and that means above 190'F.

#3288 2024-01-16 20:23:09

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re use of the MIT system for water cleansing ...

For purposes of discussion, let's forget about winter and all the complications it would impose.

Instead, please study the MIT system to see if it would work in the summer for water that has NO salt, but instead has suspended material that you want to remove. The system appears to be able to distill water without heating the entire body to boiling.  You would need to understand how the MIT system works, in order to make an informed judgement.  If you (or anyone) just tries to guess what is going on, then we (forum readers) will not benefit.

Anyone can guess, and we have a lot of guessing in the forum archive.  What I'm hoping for is posts that can explain a difficult/hard-to-understand technology for the average reasonably well informed person.

(th)

#3289 2024-01-22 09:59:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thank you for your leadership of the forum.

We are seeing ideas for entire industries born in these pages.

(th)

#3290 2024-01-26 20:47:07

tahanson43206

For all ... just curious ... is anyone else a Spectrum Cable subscriber?

I just received a replacement cable modem.... it is a gigantic leap from the simple little modem I have now.

The instructions say I need to set up the replacement by February 8th.

The device is a Cisco T2-CC
Model 4742HDC PR0D

If anyone else is going through this, I'd be happy to compare notes.

This looks like the device that arrived today:
https://www.cox.com/residential/support … eiver.html

Follow up: The new cable modem seems to be working.  I'll have to tip my hat to the programmers who managed the process.  The setup required login to the Spectrum web site, but it appears to have been designed to work with either smart phone or a computer.  I used a Chromebook because I like the larger screen, but I'm guessing a smart phone would have worked as well.   The presentation of channels is more detailed that was available with the older cable modem.

(th)

#3291 2024-01-27 13:56:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Fusion Lithium Lining report....

Nice catch!

It would appear that Lithium may be in demand for fusion devices as well as batteries.

As a side note... From what I pick up from the article you found, this discovery of lithium as a means of protecting plasma and the chamber wall appears to be driving fusion devices smaller rather than huge like ITER.

** That ** might lead to more fusion devices that cost less to build and presumably cost less to operate.

Side note: Scientific Method at work ... someone at Princeton had the insight to suggest a hypothesis, that a liner might help performance of a fusion reactor.

An experiment was designed, carried out and documented thoroughly, before it was reported after peer review.

(th)

#3292 2024-01-31 13:08:11

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

I created a new topic, and reserved a post (#2) for you to edit as you may see fit, to show the link to a video about Tritium that you posted recently.

You are welcome to add links to related articles if you would care to do so.

We have the potential of creating a topic that can rival more established  forums, over time.

Only Calliban is currently qualified to contribute to the new topic, and I hope he will, but we have the opportunity to bring both students and practitioners in this field into the forum, to provide appropriate updates.

(th)

#3293 2024-01-31 19:25:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut about post in new topic ...

For SpaceNut re #7

Thank you for that very nice image of Deuterium and Tritium!

Please see if you can find the same image for Deuterium and Helium-3.

This topic is about Deuterium and Helium 3 ... You can see the reason in the image you provided in #7.

The output of Deuterium and Tritium includes a neutron, which makes the reactor radioactive and shortens the life of the material of the lining.

I was reminded of the difference by a post in the topic you brought back about mining Helium 3 on the Moon.

(th)

#3294 2024-02-03 09:50:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re several items ...

First, thanks for that very nice image of the Deuterium-Helium-3 reaction!  That clearly shows that a neutron is NOT produced, which is why Deuterium-He3 is favored for large scale fusion.

Second, thanks for noting that we can put an index in Post #2 of the Iron and Steel topic if Void grants permission.

His reservation of that location in the topic is fortuitous, but it remains to be seen if he is willing to allocate that post for a collection of links to valuable content. Your suggestion of a post that may contain such and index is helpful.  Obviously, a post at the bottom of the topic is not useful for helping prospective readers to evaluate a topic to see if it is worth their time.

Third ... nice to see you back on the board, after an absence no doubt due to work and family ...

Fourth ... you observation about the possibly viscous nature of the material at depth on Mars is helpful to those will will be designing a mining operation at scale, which the topic is set up to facilitate.

We are not talking about scientific experiments in that topic.  That will require an industrial scale operation with everything supplied from Earth in 40 ton blocks. 

Fifth ... thanks for noting the mathematical form of the cycloid.  It has potential for payload delivery at Mars.  The idea itself is at least 50 years old, and may well be older than that.  50 years ago is when I first encountered the concept, in the pages of L5 News. 

The L5 News was published from September 1975 until April 1987, when the merger with the National Space Institute was completed and the newly formed National Space Society began publication of its own magazine, Ad Astra.

(th)

#3295 2024-02-04 21:00:27

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re nice addition to Void's Ballistic Capture orbit topic...

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 23#p219023

The paper you linked is 21 pages long.  it is filled with text, illustrations, graphs and equations to try to help the reader to understand this discovery.

From a practical point of view, I'm hoping we (or someone in NewMars) can translate that paper into the precise navigation commands needed to send parcels/shipments to a hub at a suitable location near Mars.  Retrieval of supplies from the hub is something the folks living on Mars can handle with local resources.  It is the delivery of supplies from Earth that is facilitated by the Ballistic Capture that Void brought to the attention of the forum in 2015.

(th)

#3296 2024-02-05 19:21:56

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... we recently crossed Post #219000.  I ran the pothole scan today, and only one pothole showed up.

Pothole: for ID: 218289

Not bad at all, for 1000 posts!

Notes for Chrome:

Amal Velloor
Silver Product Expert
I'm-possible
Feb 9, 2022

Of course it's possible follow the method given below,
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More   Settings.
Click Privacy and security  Cookies and other site data.
Click See all cookies and site data.
At the top right, search for the website's name.
To the right of the site, click Remove .
Original Poster Poo Bah marked this as an answer
Helpful?

Google Chrome: Clearing Cache and Cookies for Specific Sites
Click the Lock Icon in the URL bar.
Choose "Site Settings"
Click "Clear Data" Note: It may take some extended time for this page to load fully.
Reload Page (Re-login for Breeze)

Google Chrome: Clearing Cache and Cookies for Specific Sites

Tithe.ly Giving
https://support.breezechms.com › en-us › articles › 4402...
About featured snippets

Feedback
People also ask
How do I clear the cache for a specific website in Chrome?
Can you clear cache and cookies for a specific website?
How do I disable cache in Chrome for a specific site?
How do I clear cache for one site addon in Chrome?
Feedback

clear cache for specific website in Google chrome

Google Help
https://support.google.com › chrome › thread › clear-cac...
Oct 10, 2019 — Clear Chrome entire Cache by pressing Shift+Control+Delete. This will open a Dialog letting you delete the Cache (and other Data). All Keyboar ...
clear cache for specific website in Google chrome without ...
Feb 8, 2022
How to delete Cache for a specific website?? - Google Help
Jul 23, 2019
how to clear cache for a specific URL in google chrome
Oct 27, 2020
How can we clear all cokkies and cache data by excluding ...
Feb 13, 2022
More results from support.google.com

Clear the Chrome Cache in 4 Quick Steps - Nira

nira.com
https://nira.com › chrome-clear-cache
1. Open Chrome · 2. Click on the settings in the top right and go to “More Tools”. Chrome Settings - More Tools · 3. Click on “Clear Browsing Data”. Chrome ...
Discussions and forums

(th)

#3297 2024-02-08 07:21:22

tahanson43206

Housekeeping >> For SpaceNut, kbd512, RobertDyck ...

Last year we gained a webmaster, when the Mars Society System crashed for a day, and the forum was out of commission for several days.

In the recovery, kbd512 identified the problem that was the immediate cause of our continuing outage, and worked with Mr. Burk to fix it on a temporary basis.

While we wait for kbd512 to find the time to prepare the web site software for use with modern packages, we have an opportunity to add an Index level.

I'd like to to offer for your consideration the possibility of adding an Index level for Machinery to Support a Community on Mars.

The index level we have that is closest is "Life support systems"

The new topic I am suggesting would cover more than life support .... It would identify and provide a location for information about all of the systems that are going to be needed, whether for life support directly, or for another purpose such as mining.

I'd appreciate your comments on this proposed new Index level.  This is an opportunity for all active members to suggest a new Index level.

It seems to me that the best way to manage any changes at that level would be consensus of the Admins.

(th)

#3298 2024-02-08 20:04:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut, kbd512 and RobertDyck ...

This is a continuation of my inquiry about adding an Index level to the forum...

Here is the existing set of "forums" ...

mysql> select forum_name from fluxbb_forums;
+------------------------------------------+
| forum_name                               |
| Meta New Mars                            |
| New Mars Articles                        |
| Human missions                           |
| Interplanetary transportation            |
| Life support systems                     |
| Life on Mars                             |
| Terraformation                           |
| Martian Politics and Economy             |
| Not So Free Chat                         |
| Mars Society International               |
| Mars Analogue Research Stations          |
| Mars Rovers / University Rover Challenge |
| Mars Gravity Biosatellite                |
| Space Policy                             |
| Other space advocacy organizations       |
| Planetary transportation                 |
| Unmanned probes                          |
| Water on Mars                            |
| Youth Group / Educational Outreach       |
| Civilization and Culture                 |
| Science, Technology, and Astronomy       |
| Intelligent Alien Life                   |
| First Words                              |
| Pictures of Mars                         |
| Martian Chronicles                       |
| Liberum Olympia                          |
26 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

Now that we have a webmaster, it is possible for us to add a new "forum" to the collection.

I have suggested we consider adding an Index level (a "forum") that would be dedicated to discussing various machine based systems that are needed to support a permanent community on Mars.

We already have a forum that comes close, but I'd like the new forum to include more than just life support.

There are plenty of functions that a community needs (or wants) that are not directly related to life support.

(th)

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/wind … wtab-en-us

The link above is to a longish story about Mathew Turner, builder of over 200 sailing ships in California in the 19th century.

#3299 2024-02-11 07:46:41

tahanson43206

For Admins ....

Here is something else we can fix, now that we have a Webmaster:

We are happy to welcome former members back into the active community.  It has been brought to my attention that a number of former members are marked as "banned".  In many cases, this marking is a limitation of FluxBB, which is the forum software.

I'll investigate to see if there is a table that contains the categories of membership.

At present, we only have "banned" available for members who have been away for a while.  We used that term when we were dealing with a hacker infestation. It would like to have a new category for the  nearly 1000 former members who were marked as "banned" during the sweep of hacker accounts, who were not hackers.

I'm not sure what the term should be ... something like legacy or former or pending or emeritus might work.

I have not heard from a single Admin about the suggestion of adding a new category to the main Index.

Since Post #3298, it occurred to me that a category simply called "Industries" might describe the field I'd like the new Index level to cover.

We have a running start on a list of economic activities that can (or may) occur on Mars, in the My Hacienda topic.

(th).

#3300 2024-02-11 13:48:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

When James handed the reigns to me indicate that I shall not make any changes to the main page which is sort of where the trouble started after Implaler showed up as that was done by Josh cyer at the time and shortly it the website crashed.
As for re-establishing the banned all but for the 2 which are permanent by James, we can switch them back to open for business.

After nearly 2 weeks without a monitor the first was found to be damaged that I had set aside after finding the power brick and so was the second. My son was cleaning out things and gave me his that was not being used as he is on a laptop now, but the color red is defective but if at least functions.

Board footer