New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#2976 2023-06-14 07:39:53

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re #2975

Thanks for continuing to think about using the NewMars forum to help folks with projects.

As you've been thinking, and I am trying to follow along, I get the impression you may be thinking of something at a professional level, as makes perfect sense considering your occupation.

Apache is cranky today ...

(th)

#2977 2023-06-14 07:40:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2975

I have something else in mind for the local computer group members.... we don't need formal project structure at a formal level ... what I am hoping to create is an informal way for folks to show their friends what they are working on, and to provide a way for friends to keep track without intruding too much on their time or good will.  These folks are all extremely busy.

What I've observed over the years is that folks are all working on individual projects of one sort or another, and the monthly meetings provide an opportunity for individuals to show what they've been working on.  Often the sessions reveal a bug that needs to be corrected, so that bug is likely to come up at the next meeting.

(th)

#2978 2023-06-14 07:42:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2975

The amount of detail that a person wants to put into the plan for a project would be their choice, but I thought the ChatGPT outline might be a good reference point.

In your case, if you want to use the furnace removal as a model, the goal definition might be as simple as: All old furnace parts removed.

(th)

#2979 2023-06-14 07:43:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2975

Since even those two subgoals will take several weeks to complete, there would be plenty of time for posts about progress, with details about difficulties encountered, such as bolts that are frozen and have to be cut off.

What I'm thinking about is how to harness the social structure of the NewMars forum to help folks support each other's individual efforts by just listening and occasionally tossing in a word of encouragement.

On a larger scale, we have RobertDyck with an almost unimaginable sized project.  He's stuck at the moment, but hopefully he'll get moving again.  We hit a wall when we realized we do not have the collective ability to figure out how to make a massive metal structure in space.  That is a solvable problem, but the solution won't come quickly.

On the other hand, your furnace project, or my motor generator mini-project, should be finished in weeks.

The original post included all of the text distributed over multiple posts due to Apache being in a cranky mood.

(th)

#2980 2023-06-14 10:06:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes, making use of heat source for heating is just one part of what I am looking at as I age income is going to become less as I grow even older as work will have stopped at some point. Which means how to change what I spend money for also needs to change.

Business or any structure can be changed for end goal as one wish, as it's just that a template of organizing of thoughts and more.

The goal of the large ship is how to get to mars with a large quantity of people for a future date being safe and hearty of health once there to live and survive.

The other side of it is the business plan on how to take the concept and create the real deal of that ship that can actually go. Of course, this takes not only a timeline but the financial aspects of that reality to achieve.

Of course, multiple templates can be a step by step to get from concept to business levels and the example is the life support "cell" concept that left out all of the proceeding steps and fails upon analyzing what is in the goal of the concepts. That scope was not wanted.

#2981 2023-06-14 10:49:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2980

You have introduced multiple topics into this post...

The most important of these (by far) is your relationship with Steve Stewart.

I've been working with you for five years, and I've learned about 10% of what there is to learn about how you lead this forum. Steve has only recently rejoined, and his response to your attempt to help was revealed in his post asking you to stop.

I suspect you do not necessarily recognize how your enthusiasm might translate to someone taking a chance on a new idea in this forum.

You made an important first step by apologizing for how your attempt to help came across.

It seems to me you dumped a truck load of criticism on a set of ideas that were freshly born, and seeing the light of day for the first time.

From working with you for a while, and by studying your posts over many years, I know that you have a finely tuned critical sense, and it often is valuable when faulty ideas are in progress.

However, there is a time for such criticism. 

Right after a person takes a chance with this forum is most definitely NOT the time to dump heavily on a member.

The situation might be made worse if you did not understand what the member was trying to do.

I am willing to (at least attempt to) work with you and Steve to see if we can find a way forward

Steve asked us (everyone) to read his series sentence by sentence.

That seems like a reasonable request to me.

It is normal for members of this forum to fly off on a tangent after reading a few words from a post.

That is just human nature, and the archive is full of examples.

We can do better, but it takes time and patience.

(th)

#2982 2023-06-14 13:29:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

The companion page topic needs to be created after the fact to put all of the discussion within as the cell topic starts with an index of pages and thoughts that follow under our wiki concept is the only way to start with what was proposed from a title of energy storage in a soil manufacturing, but the topic is not truly what the title indicates as its a life support that is attempting to use what it creates without any inputs from the block as built.

#2983 2023-06-14 16:11:29

Calliban

This board seems to be getting more and more glitchy.  I cannot sign in now without using TOR.  And much of the time, when I post there is an 'Internal Server Error'.  Does anyone know what is going wrong?

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#2984 2023-06-14 16:52:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not sure if all of this is OS caused or browser related. I have only seen the internet issue a few times but then again, I have seen it at work as well even thou my OS there is different than at home even with the same browser version.

My current browser is Microsoft Edge
Version 114.0.1823.43 (Official build) (64-bit)

My OS is Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    22H2
Installed on    3/9/2021
OS build    19045.2965
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

update Not mention is the machine is a 64-bit machine for the OS

#2985 2023-06-14 17:20:52

tahanson43206

For Calliban and SpaceNut .... this morning I had to put up with the Apache error ... I split the post into lots of little ones.  We consume Post ID's by doing that, but the field is at least 32 bits and it may be 64, so the system can handle plenty.

(th)

#2986 2023-06-14 21:09:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Had to really fight to get posts into what I am working on.

#2987 2023-06-15 13:06:58

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2986

I searched for the  collection of advice links that I assembled in Housekeeping a while ago, but I did not find it ...

I did find the first post announcing the first encounter with the error, early in 2022.   If we are going to solve this problem, it appears we are going to have to repeat the search for links to discussion of the problem.

I'd appreciate your thinking some more about the Project category I'd like to create .... A book on the Agile Project Management system arrived today, and the next meeting of the local Linux group is a week from today.  I'd like to have the Project opportunity approved by then, if possible.

The Agile book is:
Doing Agile Right
Transformation Without Chaos
Harvard Business Review Press
Authors are all with Bain & Company, Boston.
Darrell Rigby, Sarah Elk, Steve Berez

Darrell Rigby is a partner in the Boston office of Bain & Company, where he heads the Global Innovation and Agile practices. He is a frequent speaker and writer on innovation, agile and retail, and his research has been published in Harvard Business Review, the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg Businessweek, the Financial Times, and other publications

Sarah Elk is a partner in Bain's Chicago office, where she heads the firm's Global Operating Model practice.

Steve Berez is a partner in Bain's Boston office and a founder of the firm's Enterprise Technology practice.

(th)

#2988 2023-06-16 15:45:38

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Project topic ....

Now that the weekend has arrived, I hope you will have a bit of time to spare to think about the Project Topic idea I've been considering ...

It is entirely up to you whether we proceed with this.  In looking forward, your support of the concept is essential.  I'd like to offer whatever you and I agree on to the local computer society members next Tuesday evening. 

The concept arises from an inquiry by the treasurer of the local group.  The members of the Linux Special Interest Group are all (or almost all) retired professional programmers or systems personnel, and we are all working on various personal projects.  We do not currently have a way of reporting progress or offering feedback, except at the monthly meetings.  If you (representing NewMars) are interested in supporting this group, we can admit their members to the forum so they can write updates during the month.  These members would NOT be joining to participate in the NewMars discussions, but they will have the opportunity to do so if they are so inclined.

One possible benefit to NewMars is that if we structure this as I am hoping the work these folks are doing (in various languages eg, JAVA, JavaScript, Python etc) would be available for review and study by forum readers, whether they are members or not.

I'd like for you to choose a personal project to serve as a model.

I suggested the furnace removal, but there are many other projects you might want to consider. One thing I would suggest is that you make whatever you choose something achieveable. In this forum, we spend a lot of time thinking about long range ideas, often focused upon Mars but equally often on Earth or elsewhere in the Solar System, with the occasional side jaunt outside the Solar System.

(th)

#2989 2023-06-16 19:16:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

post 2971 has the link for format of topic structure.

Looked for Apache links but did not find any.

#2990 2023-06-16 19:25:21

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2989

Thanks for looking for the Apache troubleshooting links ... I'll do that lookup again.  At the time I hoped that Mars Society would take care of the problem. I believe Mars Society did at least two things ... I have not received actual confirmation, but I deduce that the application was moved from one server to another, and in the process, they would have restarted both Apache and MySQL.  The Apache error persisted after those two activities.  On the other hand, the email program began to operate more reliably, and that is a definite win!  However, it is clearly up to us to try to solve the Apache problem.

Regarding the project topics ... thanks for reminder of ChatGPT's suggestions ...

Are you willing to support this initiative?

I would like to offer it to the local computer society next Tuesday evening, but I need your confirmation of support.

(th)

#2991 2023-06-17 07:43:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

I see no reason that computer or OS oriented discussion would not fit as we have 30 pages in 4 topic areas that discuss or reminisce about some of our members pasts. It would be a good way to see what we can do with the upkeep of the forum at a server level in time.

It does appear that the log file might contain nothing with in it when the error happens.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/820 … php-errors

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … che-errors

https://stackify.com/apache-error-log-explained/

where-does-php-store-the-error-log-(php-5-apache-fastcgi-and-cpanel)

#2992 2023-06-17 09:04:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post #2991  - I note that this topic (Housekeeping) has a round number coming up.

Thanks for considering the Project topics proposal.

While your post cannot be read as an endorsement, I ** think ** it can be read as lowering of barriers to permit an experiment to see if this concept might be of interest to folks.

I haven't made up my mind completely, but at this point, I am leaning strongly toward the Meta index level, where the Postings topics reside now.

I'll follow the links you suggested later this weekend.

You might be right about nothing in the log.  That would indicate the programmers overlooked a problem situation that they ** should ** have captured.

However, as a general rule, text that is sent to the user as an error would normally be written to the log at the same time.  If that is ** not ** occurring, there is something way out of line with normal practice.

(th)

#2993 2023-06-17 10:08:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

On the theory that the local browser might have something to do with the
Apache Internal Server Error, I rebooted the laptop and was able to complete a post.

(th)

#2994 2023-06-20 21:29:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Potholes Scan

We passed post #211000 recently, so I ran the scan from 210001-21000.

Two potholes showed up: 2310579, and 210853

That's better than last time.

(th)

#2995 2023-06-21 10:01:42

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Projects Initiative...

The Linux meeting last night ran long and it was so chock full of deep dives that my Project offer never came up for discussion.

However, I've received an email from a member of the leadership team which included expression of possible interest in the idea.

The issue in discussion was public vs private .... in the end, the public education opportunity may have won the day, but that remains to be seen.

If we proceed with this, I would hope that everyone contributing would do so with Open Source software and applications.

(th)

#2996 2023-06-22 10:53:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... this is an experiment to see if content that generated Apache Server Error in the Project topic might flow into another topic ...

This topic is intended to serve as a model for other NewMars members, or for folks who are not currently members but who might be interested in this concept.

Well, ** that ** experiment failed!

The post is refused in a new/different topic, after reboot and logging back in.

(th)

#2997 2023-06-23 15:30:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

My post was not all that long but it required me to break it up to put it into the topic today.

Attempts to make this post at 11:35pm my time last night is giving the

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@newmars.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I just changed my display from 50 back to 25 to see if that is what is causing the issue.

here is the post #p211219
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 19#p211219

seeing its msql related

#2998 2023-06-23 20:02:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Apache error .... thanks for your report in #2997

I just posted a reasonably long quote while using a 64 bit machine with 8 Gb of Ram.  The blockage I hit recently occurred on another PC also running 64 bits but with only 4 Gb of Ram.  The success was achieved with Linux and the failure occurred on Windows 10.

The local machine may have nothing to do with the error, or there might be a connection. 

Update a few minutes later:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc … Status/500

500 Internal Server Error
The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 500 Internal Server Error server error response code indicates that the server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.

This error response is a generic "catch-all" response. Usually, this indicates the server cannot find a better 5xx error code to response. Sometimes, server administrators log error responses like the 500 status code with more details about the request to prevent the error from happening again in the future.

Status
HTTP
Copy to Clipboard

500 Internal Server Error

Since the error comes and goes, I don't think it is a configuration issue.  I would guess it has something to do with dynamic conditions, but that leaves the entire chain from server to client as the search space. 

(th)

#2999 2023-06-28 19:00:23

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... on the remote chance you might be interested ...

(no one else will !!! )

Today I checked a piece of equipment that needs a battery for occasional service.  The battery was approaching three years installed, and I had forgotten it was only a two year battery (12 VDC).  When I looked at it, it had blown about a third of one end off, and the water covers were popped off.

The access port is hard to reach. That's not much of an excuse.

I replaced it with a new three year battery, but my budget for the Thermal Battery project is shot for July.

(th)

#3000 2023-06-30 12:19:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

You had a topic about America's car industry, and I searched for every possible title, but never found it.

Today I went to a promotion of GMC vehicles by a local dealer ... The promotion offered a large prize, but the consolation prize is a small Bluetooth speaker, so I decided to make the trip.  While there, I visited the RV section, and took a look at a current model Airstream.  I was surprised to find Airstream is still in business. The trailer is impressive (to me for sure).  The RV lot had some older Airstreams as well.  In addition, I found that the Airstream living quarters are blended into a Mercedes truck, which is a winning combination from my point of view.

When I visited with the sales rep, to pick up my Bluetooth speaker, I asked if he'd heard any news about EV products on the way.  He said that he'd heard of an SUV sized vehicle and a truck in the works, but nothing smaller than than.

Profit margin may well drive the inventory.  This looks to be one of the larger dealers in the city where I live.  The operation had the automobile section, the RV section and large truck operation across the street.

(th)

Board footer