New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#2951 2023-06-05 06:19:33

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re topic of calculation of moles of gas in a pneumatic tool system...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 94#p208194

The session recorded at the post above shows how the number of moles is calculated, for a given tank size, pressure and temperature.

Using this method, it should be possible to compute the size of tank needed to supply 7 cfm to a pneumatic drill for an hour.

Since the commercial product used 175 psi as the upper pressure in their tank, I would offer that as a starting point.

I note that 200 psi is the upper range of pressure that Google found for a propane tank.

The variable to be computed then is the size of the tank.

(th)

#2952 2023-06-05 07:27:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re generator, used, search ...

I asked Google to see if there might be used generators for sale, and it found ** lots ** of 120 VAC generator sets.

It is possible the local scrap yards have generators on the salvage shelves, or they might let a customer remove one from a discarded piece of equipment.

I picked up a hint that the metal in generators might have value, and be worth the trouble of salvaging them, so there might not be many left after vehicles are turned over for salvage.

I took a look at my drill press.  It has a (probably typical) arrangement of motor mounted below a frame, with a multiple radius belt pulley above.  This could be used to drive a generator for testing, if the generator were mounted in a strong frame nearby.

(th)

#2953 2023-06-05 14:14:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... someone (probably Google) thinks I am interested in the $32 air drill tool offered by Amazon.    I could afford that.  I notice the RPM given is 2500. That is above the RPM you suggested for the DC generator's we've been looking at.

Reversible Drill Pneumatic 2500 Rpm
Visit the Rockwood Store
3.8 3.8 out of 5 stars    13 ratings
$32.99
Get $60 off instantly: Pay $0.00 upon approval for Amazon Visa. No annual fee.
Brand    Rockwood
Power Source    Wind Powered
Voltage    110 Volts
Color    Silver
Special Feature    Variable Speed
About this item
The Rockwood 3/8 in. Inline Drill Is A Heavy-Duty Industrial Level Tool With Hardened Planetary Reduction Gears Ruggedly Designed For Many Years Of Reliable Service.
Slim And Compact Inline Design With Variable Speed Control
High-Torque 5-Vane Ball Bearing Air Motor
2,500 Rpm Free Speed ; Air Consumption: 7 Cfm [198 L/Min] ; Inlet Thread Size: 1/4 in. Fnpt ; Length: 8 in. ; Width: 1.5 in. ; Weight: 2 Lbs
Weight: 2 Lbs.
› See more product details

It should be possible to work out the size and pressure of an air tank able to serve that drill for an hour.  Maximum tank pressure I've seen in recent searches is 200 and 175 looks like a popular value for commercially offered systems.

I wonder if a used generator is available somewhere in the US for $32.  That amount is also affordable from my perspective.  The entire downstream load might be put together for $100 or so. 

(th)

#2954 2023-06-05 17:15:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

During the day the bars has moved from wanting to calculate the mole for air

The molar mass of dry air with oxygen, nitrogen and the other components as indicated below is 28.9647 g/mol.
where the Oxygen has a molar mass of 15.9994 g/mol and nitrogen has a molar mass of 14.0067 g/mol.

to using AI to get the tools rough answer from a past exercise.

Where the standard bbq tank (25 gal) holds approximate 12 minutes of run time and for the hour we need 5 plus times that to ensure the cfm and pressure for the tool.

In the end the value of the tank is about what we need for the total loop volume in closed loop give or take.

https://www.compressorworld.com/categor … ssor-tanks

I have looked in the past for the junk yard gas generator heads but to no avail.

#2955 2023-06-05 17:59:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2954 and subtopic of pneumatic air motor >> electric generator >> incandescent bulbs concept

Thanks for your summary of previous work on how to estimate run time in a pneumatic system!

Here is the lowest cost generator I've been able to find so far:

https://www.partsworldusa.com/PW03-101

This item is offered for $60, and that is just over (but within range) of the budget amount I had estimated for the generator component.

That would put the investment in generator and air drill right at $100, not counting shipping and taxes.

Meanwhile, I notice that Calliban and kbd512 are now talking about steam as a possible way to harness Thermal Stored Energy.

(th)

#2956 2023-06-06 07:02:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re generator offer by Parts World ....

I went to Parts World intending to order the $60 generator, and found it is out of stock.

No wonder, at that price!

PW03-101
PW03-101
Price:
$59.95

Shipping Cost:
Included for Mainland USA and Canada

Red letters: OUT OF STOCK

OVERVIEW
CROSS REFERENCES
APPLICATIONS

There are ** lots ** of offers under $150, and quote a few well over that figure.

(th)

#2957 2023-06-06 07:09:26

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re generator offers at Part's World...

All the generators listed for under $100 are out of stock, according to the web site.

Please evaluate this unit:

PW03-202
Price:
$114.99

Quantity

Shipping Cost:
Free for Mainland USA and Canada.

OVERVIEW
CROSS REFERENCES
APPLICATIONS
12V 15Amps EZGO Starter Generator available at a very affordable price. Fits in EZGO MG2 Fleet TXT Freedom Turf Workhorse 1200 LX 800 LX Cargo Shuttle Oasis GXI 875 GXT 875 models. Rotation Bidirectional

Do you think it would do the job?

They only accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

I'd have preferred PayPal, because of the protection they provide.

At least shipping appears to be included in the price, but taxes will (no doubt) be added.

(th)

#2958 2023-06-06 08:35:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re generator ....

This was a surprise:

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Generato … NrPXRydWU=

New Starter Generator compatible with EZ GO Golf Cart GXI875 GXT Medalist MG2 TXT 1980-2008
Brand: ESellSimple
4.0 4.0 out of 5 stars    73 ratings | 6 answered questions
$99.90
Get $10 off instantly: Pay $89.90 upon approval for the Amazon Store Card.
100% Brand New - Manufactured with New Premium Quality Components -- Engineered to Meet or Exceed OEM Specifications -- All Items Tested for Reliability, Durability and Performance
One Year Hassle Free Warranty
See Product Description for Fitment Chart - Matchup Reference Numbers to Assure Proper Fitment
Multiple Locations Nationwide to Assure You Lightning Fast Delivery
Motor Generator 12 Volt 20 Amps Reversible
› See more product details

I've decided this is worth taking a chance.

Due date is June 14th.

While we wait, please think about what instrumentation we need to measure current / voltage / power flow.

This is an automotive scale electrical system, so there may well be automotive instruments able to assist.

(th)

#2959 2023-06-06 10:38:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re electrical circuit ...

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-Ba … RydWU&th=1

Please evaluate this device ... I'm wondering if it could sit between the generator and the load, to provide accurate data about voltage level and current flow.

DC Multifunction Battery Monitor Meter,0-200V,0-300A (Widely Applied to 12V/24V/48V RV/Car Battery) LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Solar Power Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter
Visit the MORNING GROUP Store

As reported earlier in the archive, I picked up a battery tester to (at least try) to anticipate battery failure in equipment.  I've had equipment fail because I lost track of the purchase date for batteries.  The tester consists of a load that heats up in a 12 volt circuit.

The device above would appear capable of showing current flow in real time, similar to the analog amp meter I remember from 1940's era automobiles. 

(th)

#2960 2023-06-07 19:43:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

The device looks more than adequate for measuring the voltage and currents provide from the generator to the load and then some.

The 200-gallon tank if it were, of 1 inch diameter pipe would be 60,000 inches in length or 5,000 ft to have the same cubic inches of air with in it or slightly over at 203 gallons.

Of course, the typical AC unit is just 25 feet of smaller tubing size.

#2961 2023-06-07 20:13:42

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2960

Thanks for taking a look at that digital multimeter for DC circuits ... My project budget is shot for this month, so I'll wait until July to order the meter.  When the motor arrives I'll make a frame to hold it next to the drill press, and find a v-belt to fit the two devices.  I should be able to find an old automobile light around here somewhere, but I might have gotten rid of them. 

I'm thinking about how to measure RPM ... A computer can count impulses, and I have a Raspberry Pi sitting around that I bought for a project and then went on to something else.  That should be able to count events easily enough. 

(th)

#2962 2023-06-08 10:17:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

This is a Housekeeping item, if there ever was one ...

https://powerpusher.com/

The company makes an electric pusher for automobiles that are now powered up but must be moved from one place to another.

SearchTerm:Pusher

(th)

#2963 2023-06-08 20:20:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Walmart uses a version them to bring shopping carts back from the parking lot corals.

#2964 2023-06-09 16:00:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2963 ... thanks for the tip about the WalMart shopping cart pusher!

The email just went out.  Hopefully you'll receive your confirmation copy as some point today.
The weekend is here, and I'm hoping you have a bit more time to invest in the forum than is often the case during the week.
Please note the new topic set up for Dr. Greg Stanley ... it is unlikely he will be posting directly to the forum because he is already extremely busy, but I am hoping to be able to post some of his work when it is appropriate.

(th)

#2965 2023-06-10 09:24:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re several items ...

First, thanks again for the WalMart tip ... that led me to shopping cart pushers, and it turns out there are several suppliers.  i've seen these units at Target as well as WalMart, and possibly even other large box stores.  They are pricey, which makes sense.  I found one for sale used for $2000. it needs batteries.  That tells me these are worth the asking price for the organizations that need them.

Second (Unless I think of more while working on this post) ...

The treasurer of the local Computer Users Society is a member of the Linux Special Interest Group, whose meetings I attend each month.  This gent had an interesting idea, and I'd like to toss it up into the air for you to consider.

We have thousands of salvaged ID's just waiting for new members. 

So far, we've brought five or six folks into the forum, and (so far) each and every one of them is NOT participating in the day-to-day, or even month-to-month flow of activities.   

The treasurer's idea comes from the (not unique) circumstance of the local computer society ... the group was formed back in the 70's, when microcomputers were just showing up and there were a lot of build-your-own computer clubs and organizations.  I was active in one of those, in another city.

Now the mystery of computing and computers is pretty well solved, and the only members left are those who were young when all the excitement was going on.

Given that life spans are extending, and 115 is now the high water mark for humans, there is an opportunity for service organizations such as ours to provide a project based reporting and feedback system for those humans who might wish to take advantage of it.

We (treasurer and I) have agreed to discuss this idea at the next meeting, which is on the third Tuesday in June.  I'd like to ask you to consider whether you'd be willing to provide a meeting place for people who are not interested in Mars, but ** are ** interested in taking advantage of the somewhat special structure that the NewMars forum software and human community provide.

If you and the local society agree, we would open the membership roles to folks who want to track personal projects and to interact with each other about those projects, using the features of NewMars.

I doubt we'll have more than three folks who might be interested in this, so we're not talking about opening the flood gates.

(th)

#2966 2023-06-10 19:31:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Solar Eclipse prediction...

Thanks for posting that advance notice!  The last eclipse was only partial in the area where I live, but it would appear it will be total in 2024.

Today's NSS presentation on the Mars Analog station in Hawaii was well done. My understanding is that there may be a professionally produced video, courtesy of a volunteer donating time and equipment. I'll report if that happens.

Dr. Stanley's talk included a report on the Japanese probe that ** almost ** landed on the Moon.  The landing failed (as I understand the analysis) because the software did not believe the altimeter when the probe crossed the rim of a crater. The altimeter said there was a dropoff (which had been expected) but the software took the big numbers as an error.

One observation that came out of the presentation is that (apparently) the Japanese do not (or did not) have the ability to run simulations.  A simulation should have revealed the defect that overrode the altimeter. 

(th)

#2967 2023-06-11 15:53:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re opportunity to recruit non-space enthusiasts professionals to take advantage of forum features...

While waiting for your feedback on this idea, and simultaneously while waiting for an evaluation by the local folks who might be interested, here is a collection of snippets about software development technology.

I was surprised and a bit dismayed to find that Agile may be in the process of replacement by DevOps...

I was in the active work force when Waterfall was new and shiny, and I participated in projects using it.

Agile was just coming in when I was close to the end of active consulting, but I've tried to learn about it.

About 7,220,000 results (0.56 seconds)
Agile has largely replaced waterfall as the most popular development methodology in most companies, but is itself at risk of being eclipsed or consumed by the growing popularity of DevOps.

What is Agile Software Development (Agile Methodologies)?
TechTarget
https://www.techtarget.com › definition › agile-software-...
About featured snippets

Feedback
People also ask
What is the opposite of waterfall software development?
What are the 5 stages of the waterfall methodology?
What kind of software development method is replacing the waterfall method?
What is iterative vs waterfall software development?
Feedback

Waterfall model
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Waterfall_model
The waterfall model is the earliest SDLC approach that was used in software development. The waterfall development model originated in the manufacturing and ...

Software development process
    https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Software_developme...

Most modern development processes can be vaguely described as agile. Other methodologies include waterfall, prototyping, iterative and incremental development, ...

(th)

#2968 2023-06-11 16:06:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have no issues with computer, software categories getting a boost as we have several here that can probably hold their own with some, but we do only have a few topic areas for those sorts of posts to be made within.

#2969 2023-06-11 16:18:15

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2968

Thanks for thinking about how we might implement this opportunity ...

We do have a model to consider .... Meta

We've setup the "postings" category under Meta, and it seems to be working

If we decide to go with Meta, the new category would be something like: tahanson43206 Projects

Unlike the kinds of postings we've seen over 20 years, these would be set up to share with others progress on specific activities that members might undertake.

We do not have to be limited to software.

A member working on a house improvement could report plans and then steps toward the goals.

(th)

#2970 2023-06-12 08:44:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re possible new category for projects...

You have reported on a number of projects you have undertaken over the years.  I'm thinking primarily of automobile maintenance, but you have reported on situations that become projects at some point.

An example is the renovation of the furnace system.

Because you've reported on New Hampshire endurance, of putting up with a household temperature of 52 degrees, I am not at all sure you would be interested in raising the temperature to 70 degrees in the dead of winter.  That might well seem like an extravagance to a New Hampshire resident.

However, if you ever were to consider taking steps to remove the old furnace and duct work, that in itself would cost next to nothing, and you might even be able to persuade someone to take the old parts in return for carting them away.

The metal in the motor(s) should be worth salvage.

If this or any other project appeals to you, we have an opportunity for you to serve as a model for the (possible) new Projects category.

I think it would fit nicely in Meta, along with "Postings" which seems to be successful (as near as I can tell).

Update a bit later:
The format of the topic title might look like this: Project  MemberName  ProjectTitle

For example (if you are wiling to serve as a model): Project SpaceNut Furnace

You could identify members to serve on a Review Committee.  I would volunteer for that.  There might be other members who would be willing to serve.

By default, every member is able to provide encouragement and suggestions.

The review committee would have responsibility to read your posts of progress, as they have time, given many other responsibilities.

You would identify the members who will serve on your Review Committee in the Post#1 of the Project Topic.

For example:
Title: Project SpaceNut Furnace
Review Committee: tahanson43206 (others as they become available)

If you decide to undertake this venture, you might expect to be invited to provide standard project elements, such as a definition of goals and methods.

(th)

#2971 2023-06-12 09:28:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GBO … sp=sharing

In the transcript at the link above, ChatGPT offers suggestions for elements of projects that might be announced and reported in the forum.

I like the suggestion about "celebration" of success.

I have experienced such celebrations several times in both large and small projects in commercial settings.

The form of celebration might be limited (a bit) in the context of this forum, but a word of praise can go a long way if the word comes from someone held in respect.

(th)

#2972 2023-06-13 10:50:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Thermal Energy Battery live demo mini-project.

The 12 volt generator arrived today.  It was shipped by UPS and the weight stamped on the package was 18 pounds.

That's 8.165 kilograms for our members so inclined.

Either way, it's heavy from ** my ** point of view, and I was glad to set it on the work bench.

In order to test it my tentative plan is to build a scaffolding to hold it vertical next to the drill press already installed on the work bench.

I'll need a v-belt at some point, but I'll worry about that after I can measure the distance between pulleys.

Update later the same day:

I was happy to find that the mounting holes on one side of the generator are precisely 1/2 inch diameter.  I have a threaded rod that slips snugly through the holes. That rod can be secured to a 2x4 framework to provide firm support for the generator held in the vertical position.

I think it is reasonable to guestimate that the generator will be ready for live testing by mid-July. 

(th)

#2973 2023-06-13 20:50:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks for the chat guide for project topic structure and it points out the differences between open thought to a page of content versus the dream to achieve the goal being from just one viewpoint believing that all things were covered when in reality lots had been missed. Its why topics of discussion are so long versus a wiki page.

#2974 2023-06-14 06:13:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2973

Thanks to ** you ** for your helpful feedback on project planning and reporting.

I'm definitely interested in offering a project tracking structure to the local computer society Linux Special Interest Group.

Your support of this venture is essential, so I am definitely encouraged by Post #2973

It would help if you were willing to let yourself serve as a trailbreaker for this venture.  I've suggested the furnace project as a possibility, that there may well be something more interesting to you that you would be willing to let us use as a framework to shape the structure.

I think the Thermal Battery mini-project is a possible model.

The motor-generator arrived yesterday, and all 8 kilograms of the package mount on a 1/2 inch threaded rod.  My next planned step is to look for hardware that can hold that threaded rod on one end, and secure to a 2x4 at the other end.   I have a local hardware store a mile away, and big box stores in a five mile radius.

We could use that motor as the basis of a mini-project.

Other members may have ongoing or perhaps started-but-not-finished projects they'd be interested in restarting.

(th)

#2975 2023-06-14 07:26:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

The form of the doc takes on a business level structure or outline to which you need a small paragraph and values for each to make it not a discussion. But when you structure that as if it's a complete proposal then the analysis comes out to check each value and structure and that is where the discussion comes in.

This is the companion wiki format that we came up with where the originator changes the paragraphs as the information changes and the concept is fortified in the separate discussion area.

So, while the discussion is in the topic folder, the wiki can be held in another if we desire.

That said any topic we have could be brought into the format with someone compiling the wiki from components of the already made topics.

Board footer