New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#2776 2023-02-20 11:14:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Housekeeping

Just tried to make a post in orbital mechanics and go the server error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@newmars.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

#2777 2023-02-20 11:19:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

I tried to make the content post for the orbital mechanics but just saw this

GW Johnson wrote:

The forum software wn't log out.

for the drop box

#2778 2023-02-20 11:29:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

I tried the last post after tahanson43206 again, in the orbital mechanics but it will not take and gives the error still.

So as to isolate I did and edit up stream and it was able to enter the content.

#2779 2023-02-20 12:25:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... the NewMars server has (probably) been running unattended for a considerable period of time, since James Burk was promoted to Executive Director.  He informed us  (Zoom group) that he was unable to continue on as webmaster.

It appears to be time for you to put on your Senior Administrator hat and write to Mr. Burk, to inform him we are seeing these errors, and request assistance.

Please note that Mr. Burk offered to make one (or more of us) webmaster.  That would require you to make a decision on who you might wish to entrust with that responsibility.

The NewMars server probably needs a reboot at a minimum, and probably needs other routine maintenance services that have not been performed.

it is entirely possible that hard drive storage allocated to NewMars is filled up, so that posts are declined for lack of work space.

(th)

#2780 2023-02-20 13:17:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... just FYI .... fluxbb.org is not responding.

Ping reports: "unknown host fluxbb.org"

Usually when a server is down, Ping is able to find the IP address associated with that DNS...

It is not a good sign that no IP address is available.

Update: Wayback.org shows vigorous activity at fluxbb.org through late 2022, and NOTHING at all for 2023.

Digging further ... activity was reported through October 22 of 2022, and nothing after that.

The snapshot on October 22nd looks completely normal.

I asked Google for help, and found a discussion with Franz, lead developer for FluxBB ... the discussion took place in discuss.flarum.org

In the post of ??? in 2021, I found this note:

FluxBB was a fork of PunBB created by its developers after Andersson left the project in April 2008.  The developers felt that forking was necessary to maintain control over the development process without the influence of commercial interests.  As with PunBB, it is released under the GNU General Public license.

I will attempt to copy/paste the entire article about the expiration of the FluxBB.org web site in April of 2022.

In one of the posts Franz reported he had devoted five years to supporting the open source project(s) but had a full time job and a family, and had to let it go.

(th)

#2781 2023-02-20 13:51:55

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... search reveals this is an Apache error.
I'm attempting a short post because longer ones cause the error.
(th)

#2782 2023-02-20 15:57:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

I sent two messages about the problem to another computer and tried the posts from there.

The same error occurred ... the size of the messages were large, so that may be a factor.

This little post will probably go through.

(th)

#2783 2023-02-20 19:11:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

I will look at this some more tomorrow while at work.

I am not sure that I have all the computer skill for being the webmaster but it's time that Mars society may need to hire someone for this.

With the ever pushing, upgrade of Microsoft on the windows platform now at 11, we may be seeing the effects from its newest level and AI causing some of this on the web in general.

#2784 2023-02-20 19:32:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2783

Thanks for thinking about this problem.  It is not yet serious enough to be a problem for most members, but you and I have both seen it, so we know it is real.

My recommendation is to be sure you have powerful computing equipment and a fast Internet connection before you would take on the webmaster responsibility. The log files we were given to try to understand the email failures turned out to be so large I was unable to open and study them.  The computer I tried them on is a 64 bit system with 8 gb ram and lots of hard drive space.  The software tools needed may exist, to scan a huge log file, but I'm rusty enough so that I gave up. The email problem remains unsolved.

The best bet might be to simply ask Executive Director Burk if he has hired a webmaster for the Mars Society, and if so, would he please ask that person to look at the Apache error logs ... the webmaster will find lots of recent examples of the error.

Also! I found a great deal of discussion of this specific error, but was unable to post to the forum, due to the error.

In fact, I'll be surprised if ** this ** post goes through.

(th)

#2785 2023-02-20 20:04:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was able to open them back when I had the xp machine going but my web download was limited for the internet to just only 3g a month. Since then, I am now getting 15 g a month before its throttles back.

edit
the old text programs could do it if you had the memory or set up the disk cache to take its place.
I am still able to look at them so I will see if the largest can open on my current machine.

#2786 2023-02-20 21:23:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2785

Thanks for the good news you were able to open the files on an XP machine!  What software did you use to open the file?

It seems pretty clear I used an unsuitable tool, because it tried to load the entire multiple megabyte file into memory.

(th)

#2787 2023-02-22 13:37:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2785 and observation...

I'm hoping you can drop a note about what utility program you used to open server log files on Windows XP.

I'd like to try whatever you used on one of the server files I downloaded with the email problem.

That problem is still happening, and if I had a tool that would allow me to investigate, I'd give it another try.

By any chance, did you drop a note to Executive Director James Burk? I've not seen the Internal Server Error from Apache the past couple of days.

Side note: I keep a live view of Naples Beach on a monitor when I'm working on the daily updates.  The Sun is shining brightly there, and temperature is reported as 86 degrees.  It is Wednesday, so I would expect few folks on the beach, but the beach is packed.  A pelican just flew over the web  cam.

(th)

#2788 2023-02-22 20:14:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

I had black ice and snow flurries which was then overcast for the remaining portion of the day with a cold wind. It is only going to get even colder with more snow for tomorrow.

Log files unless encrypted are just text files that have the extended keyboard characters with in it.

Here is a snippet of a file that has not been cleaned.

K ©EI   L   ®                 @          std! ! ! newmars_wiki BEGIN©EI                       @          std! ! ! newmars_wiki UPDATE `page` SET page_counter = page_counter + 1 WHERE page_id = 1723©EI   ¦   3                @          std! ! ! newmars_wiki /* SiteStatsUpdate::doUpdate */ UPDATE `site_stats` SET ss_total_views=ss_total_views+1 LIMIT

I can tell from this 1 that we are in the restart years when impaler was calling out the forum as being to moon and not enough mars.

(+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)', '', '65.55.106.155', 0, 0, 1, 'viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7865&view=next', 11,

At the time we were using not just the php but a few other interfaces such as the wordpress for the analog sites to the server as well.

newmars_wordpress UPDATE `wp_options` SET `option_value` = 'a:3:{i:1252585958;a:3:{s:16:\"wp_version_check\";a:1:{s:

As you can see we also had a different package for the wiki information

newmars_wiki DELETE /* MediaWikiBagOStuff::_doquery 65.55.207.48 */ FROM `objectcache` WHERE keyname='newmars_wiki:messages:en:status

Now if you are trying to recreate a server from the software up would be replacing the current with a rewind /return from a backup server log.

#2789 2023-02-23 12:26:02

Void

Just letting you know that while I was looking at this: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 95#p206595

My computer was taken over by some kind of an annoying infection.  It told me to contact Microsoft support with a phone number.  I did not. I could not go beyond the infection display.

It said do not attempt to restart your computer.  It is an old computer so shut off my internet connections and did a restart.

The computer seems to work fine.  I did a scan and did not turn anything up.

So, I will see if I get any more of it.

I think it was a scam.  Anyone else have an opinion.

I think they wanted to have me let them into my computer to "Fix the Problem".

We can delete this post if you like.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-02-23 12:26:22)

Done.

#2790 2023-02-23 14:08:41

tahanson43206

For Void re #2789

First, thanks for alerting your Admins of this incident!

Second, I note that this is one of Mars_B4_Moon's posts.  It contains four links.

I'll follow them later on a computer that I ** think ** can handle some attack modes.

My guess is that one of the links exposes the visitor to an attack procedure of some kind, and because of the popularity of Microsoft products, the attack procedure might have discovered you are using Microsoft products.

Again, thank you for this alert!

Update: Void, the primary links did not cause a problem. However, a link from one of these primary links may be a risk. If you can add information please do.

(th)

#2791 2023-02-24 09:00:32

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

I am working on a spreadsheet presentation for GW Johnson.

I am parking the work-in-progress here and will pick it up later.

Begin request:
In a chat recently, you identified a Molniya orbit as very similar to the orbit I am planning.
The flight would originate in Texas rather than in Russia, so the inclination would be different.
You gave the Semi-major axis as 26600 km, and the velocity crossing GEO outbound as 10,492 m/s.
The destination for the planned flight is GEO, at the point where the payload is tangent to GEO.
Please compute the flight for a payload of 1 kilogram after the payload crosses GEO outbound.
Use inverse square law to compute effect of gravity on object during flight.
The rocket engineers will handle details of getting the rocket to GEO.
Please compute the inclination of the payload as it crosses GEO outbound,
and refine the velocity as needed to put the payload at the GEO tangent point.
Other detail: the foci of the ellipse to be flown are in a line perpendicular to a line from the center of the Earth to GEO
Please note we are computing only half a Molniya orbit, to deliver payload from Texas to Geosynchronous Earth Orbit.
Today's request: Please create a spreadsheet to deliver the calculation as defined above.
Output the Spreadsheet as XLS format if possible.
Inputs to spreadsheet:
Latitude and Longitude of launch site as McGregor, Texas.  Allow latitude and longitude to be changed by spreadsheet user.
Time of launch: default is Noon today. Allow Time-of-Launch to be changed by the operator
Set default interval Report-Interval for output as 15 minutes: Allow operator to change Report-Interval
Output: Show position and vector of payload throughout flight at intervals as specified by operator.
End Request.

(th)

#2792 2023-02-24 09:31:39

tahanson43206

The request in Post #2791 was modified before email to GW Johnson.

Begin request:

In a chat recently, you identified a Molniya orbit as very similar to the orbit I am planning.
The flight would originate in Texas rather than in Russia, so the inclination would be different.

You gave the Semi-major axis as 26600 km, and the velocity crossing GEO outbound as 10,492 m/s.

The destination for the planned flight is equatorial GEO, at the point where the payload is tangent to GEO, or at minimum velocity if tangency cannot be achieved.

Please compute the flight for a payload of 1 kilogram after the payload crosses GEO outbound.

The rocket engineers will handle details of getting the rocket to GEO.

Please compute the inclination of the payload as it crosses GEO outbound, and refine the velocity as needed to put the payload at the GEO tangent point.

Other detail: the foci of the ellipse to be flown are in a line perpendicular to a line from the center of the Earth to GEO

Please note we are computing only half a Molniya orbit, to deliver payload from Texas to Geosynchronous Earth Orbit.

Today's request: Please create a spreadsheet to deliver the calculation as defined above.

Output the Spreadsheet as XLS format if possible.

Inputs to spreadsheet:

Latitude and Longitude of launch site as McGregor, Texas.  Allow latitude and longitude to be changed by spreadsheet user.
Time of launch: default is Noon today. Allow Time-of-Launch to be changed by the operator
Set default interval Report-Interval in minutes with default of 15 minutes: Allow operator to change Report-Interval

Output: Show position and vector of payload throughout flight at interval Report-Interval, Output to be in format suitable for plot.

End Request.

I expect GW Johnson will have modifications/adjustments/improvements/corrections so will not submit the request to ChatGPT until I hear back.

(th)

#2793 2023-02-24 16:01:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re competion between Dr. Johnson (using sliderule) and ChatGPT...

A very exciting (to me for sure) competition is shaping up between Dr. Johnson and ChatGPT.

OK... Dr. Johnson is ** not ** using a sliderule, but he ** could ** if he had to.

I have no idea what ChatGPT is using.

The common denominator is me, and I am amazingly poor at using English, so each contestant is at a distinct disadvantage.

Dr. Johnson ** just ** sent me a spreadsheet that shows clearly how poor my English has been, but it ** also ** shows that GW is just ** one ** more iteration from beating ChatGPT to the solution.

here is the text of the latest version of my planned request of ChatGPT

Begin request:

The destination for the planned flight is equatorial GEO, at the point where the payload is tangent to GEO, or at minimum velocity if tangency cannot be achieved.

The rocket engineers will handle details of getting the rocket to GEO. Your assignment is limited to computing the flight outside of GEO.

Please compute the inclination of the payload as it crosses GEO outbound, and refine the velocity as needed to put the payload at the GEO tangent point.

A plane change is involved. Please show the lateral velocity of the payload as it approaches the GEO satellite.

End of previous work!

Output the Spreadsheet as XLS format if possible, or in an ASCII format of some kind if XLS is not possible.

Inputs to spreadsheet:

Set default interval Report-Interval in minutes with default of 15 minutes: Allow operator to change Report-Interval

Output from spreadsheet: Show position and vector of payload throughout flight at interval Report-Interval, Output to be in format suitable for plot.

End Request.

(th)

#2794 2023-02-25 07:42:27

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Apache error ...

I ran into the error again when attempting to update an existing post with a large amount of text.

The Apache error we have been seeing may be triggered by the size of a post submitted or edited.

If you can obtain a copy of the Apache error log, you can share it with me (and other mods) using Dropbox.

An Apache error file is likely to be much smaller than the daily logs we've been attempting to review for the email problem.

On the other hand, if you can obtain a copy of the Apache error log, you may be able to discover the error message and just report that to the Housekeeping topic.

I still think it can't hurt to reboot Apache, if my theory that the program has not been rebooted in a long time is correct.

In any case, it would definitely be helpful for you to be in touch with either Mr. Burk or a person he has chosen to be webmaster for Mars Society web sites.

(th)

#2795 2023-02-26 11:40:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Email contact was made and a thanks for heads response was received.

Just now got error with cellphone edit post for a link on Subaru head gasket video
https://youtu.be/o7p_fWXqoSE

#2796 2023-02-26 12:15:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2795

Thanks for good news for contact regarding Apache server error!

FYI ... the link to the Suburu video came up fine for me.

Looks like an interesting video.

I'll try putting it into the cars topic.

(th)

#2797 2023-02-26 17:03:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am back to quite cold weather and snowy days in the 3" and 20' F or less which is driving the use of electrical back up for supplementing heat to be able to stay near 50'F inside down from a week ago when it was much warmer, and we were able to get back to a bit more comfortable temperature of 60'F inside.

I am sure that my short post would have gone in, but I was doing and edit of a post that had the head gasket would in the ICE engine topic.

#2798 2023-02-26 17:19:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2797 ...

Thanks for additional detail on the Apache error you encountered ... we have not heard from other members encountering the error, for which I am grateful, but the sooner we can get it corrected the better I'll feel about the situation.

Sorry to hear about the cold weather that just arrived in your area.  Our members in Florida are enjoying 81 Degrees right now, per the Naples webcam.

(th)

#2799 2023-02-26 18:03:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am wonder if we are running into the code that was sort of fixed that allowed for a topic post count to exceed 300 which once upon a time would cause the topic to crash.
Seems there is a correlation to this in the topics which seem to indicate this problem.

#2800 2023-02-26 18:17:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2799

Thanks for reminding us of those "bad old days!"

My understanding is that the webmasters of the time struggled to find a software package that would run reliably, and it seems to me that was the case with FluxBB.

FYI ... while I think of it ... FluxBB is gone.  I wrote a post about that, but was unable to deliver it due to the Apache error.  I believe the Apache error has little or nothing to do with the FluxBB php code that's running, or with the MySQL database underneath.  With any luck, you may receive feedback from Mars Society about the nature of the error.

FluxBB was a port from PunBB.  it was maintained by Franz for five years as a labor-of-love on top of full time job and growing family.  He finally had to call it quits, and no one stepped up to keep the party going.  A Russian gent has been maintaining a port of FluxBB called PortBB, but the FluxBB.org site is gone, and with it all the history it collected, including my posts.

We are now completely on our own to make any adjustments that may be needed.

Fortunately, the software itself seems to be reasonably reliable. 

Again, I suspect the Apache error has nothing to do with the running software. I expect it is running out of resources it needs to perform tasks, if it has not been rebooted for a while.

In any case, please note that many of our topics are in the thousands.

(th)

Board footer