New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#451 2020-06-15 05:18:43

Void

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

Blood Clots:

Occur more often in severe infections where inflammation of tissues is a problem.  Usually this is worse for elders, and particularly if they have a severe infection.

However, some young people are getting strokes from blood clots.  If a person has a drooping face, speech problems, maybe dizziness, (I think), swelling of the leg, maybe elsewhere, they should get professional treatment as soon as possible.  Also Corvid toes might be an indicator that the are prone to clots, and so they might ask a doctor if they should have a treatment.
https://heavy.com/news/2020/04/covid-toes/

------

I also encountered information suggesting that moving around is helpful to prevent the damage of blood clots.

So, being sedentary is a bad idea.  I think it is more likely that overweight people and people who may be sedentary from other problems like diabetes, and I suppose heart problems, ect. , should in particular make an effort to move around, exercise.

Apparently the legs are where a lot of the clots can happen, and then the migrate to cause problems elsewhere in some cases.  I believe I saw reference to keeping the legs elevated, which might help reduce the potential.

So, sitting around, laying around too much would be a bad thing, particularly for people with poor health.

So then lockdowns could be a problem, promoting ill health of blood clotting.

Hospital stays would also be bad that way if you had to lay in bed all the time.  In many cases, it could not be avoided, I am sure.

But if you are in hospital, probably if the patients blood indicates excessive clotting potential, they might put you on medication for it.

This is speculation:
I am guessing that https://curemycramp.com/leg-compression-machine/, may be helpful.  I used to have that available to me when I got my red light therapy.  Hospitals may often have them.  Reportedly it also helps the legs heal after a leg day at the gym.  I am guessing it could be helpful to prevent the potential in the legs for blood clots for people who cannot move their legs around enough.  Also it may reduce inflammation, inflammation can lead to blood clots.  The ones I used were for the whole length of the legs.

I have been invited back to my gym.  I am shy about it because I am over 65.  However I may go in with an appointment to reduce dwell time at the gym.  Of course I will use a face mask, and use hand sanitizers as well.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 06:41:13)

Done.

#452 2020-06-15 10:13:17

Void

I have two previous posts for do's and don'ts for Coronavirus.

Here is one, you may or not have heard of "Smoking".
Smoking is still a don't most likely, but Nicotine may be a do.  Lets hope so.
https://bgr.com/2020/04/23/mind-bogglin … nfections/
Quote:

Mind-boggling study says smoking might prevent coronavirus infections

Doctors in France think that smoking can be both good and bad for people who are at risk of contracting the novel coronavirus infection.
Smoking is a risk factor for COVID-19 patients, but one particular substance in cigarettes — nicotine — might prevent infection in some people, or improve COVID-19 prognosis.
The French doctors will use patches in a clinical study to see if nicotine might prevent coronavirus infections and help existing patients.

Quote:

Smoking doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get a COVID-19 infection, and smoking can make a COVID-19 infection worse for you. But French doctors observed that fewer COVID-19 patients were smokers than they were expecting, The Guardian reports. A team at the Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital in Paris penned a study on the matter, proposing a nicotine patch trial that could provide additional answers.
“Our cross-sectional study strongly suggests that those who smoke every day are much less likely to develop a symptomatic or severe infection with Sars-CoV-2 compared with the general population,” the Pitié-Salpêtrière study says. “The effect is significant. It divides the risk by five for ambulatory patients and by four for those admitted to hospital. We rarely see this in medicine.”
The doctors observed 480 patients who tested positive, 350 of whom were hospitalized. Of those admitted, 4.4% were regular smokers while 5.3% of the people who were released had smoked. The median age of the former was 65, while those with less severe symptoms had a median age of 44. These numbers aren’t in line with statistics for the general population in France. Some 40% of those aged 44-53 smoke and between 8.8% and 11.3% of those aged 65-75 are smokers, according to the local Santé Publique France authority.

Yes, I read it on the internet, so it must be real smile

Actually, lets hope it is real, nicotine, or something else in smoking.

Maybe I can risk the gym, if they find some substance that a person can take to improve their odds.

If this works out or does not, along with the other developments, it makes sense to not play risky with the virus at this time because the longer you live without it the better chances they will be able to get rid of it or at least reduce the death and damage rates.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 10:22:27)

Done.

#453 2020-06-15 11:51:20

Void

I have three posts before this:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06- … issue.html
Quote:

Diluting blood plasma rejuvenates tissue, reverses aging in mice

In humans, the composition of blood plasma can be altered in a clinical procedure called therapeutic plasma exchange, or plasmapheresis, which is currently FDA-approved in the U.S. for treating a variety of autoimmune diseases. The research team is currently finalizing clinical trials to determine if a modified plasma exchange in humans could be used to improve the overall health of older people and to treat age-associated diseases that include muscle wasting, neuro-degeneration, Type 2 diabetes and immune deregulation.

I am thinking that if we could treat old and at risk people prior to infection, it may be possible to get the death rate down that way.  If it helps, it would reduce the use of expensive and limited supply treatments.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 11:57:47)

Done.

#454 2020-06-15 12:10:16

RobertDyck
Website

In Manitoba, 1 new case Friday, 2 new cases Saturday, 1 Sunday, but 4 recovered since Friday morning. Net: as of 1:00pm today (June 15) total number of active cases remain 5. No one in hospital. All current cases are in Winnipeg. All new cases this weekend were in one household. No cases in Manitoba outside Winnipeg.

#455 2020-06-15 12:30:50

Void

That is good news Robert.

I guess I am a posting madman today, but I do like the potential of good news about the Coronavirus.

I have four posts before Roberts latest post.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06- … mmune.html
Quote:

Tuberculosis vaccine strengthens immune system

The results are also of interest against the background of the current COVID-19 pandemic: the researchers hope that a BCG vaccination might have a positive effect on the disease. Although the trained immune system probably cannot prevent infection with the virus, it may reduce the risk of a severe course. This might benefit especially the particularly vulnerable medical staff. Several large-scale medical studies are currently investigating this question, among others two at Radboud university medical center Nijmegen, and another at the University of Melbourne, which is also a partner in the current project.

There is some speculation that 50-80% of some populations may not be very susceptible to Coronavirus, so maybe something like this may have already happened to some people.  So, then if that were true, then some heard immunity may come sooner.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 12:35:56)

Done.

#456 2020-06-15 16:56:24

RobertDyck
Website

Government announced they would allow movie production again, starting the 1st of this month. Catch is anyone entering the country must quarantine for 14 days.

#457 2020-06-15 17:07:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have the quarantine for 14 days for NH and the issue is one where its if you plan to stay but if you come to shop no quarantining is done. Also where is the proof that you did quarantine once you did decide to stay?

#458 2020-06-15 17:34:29

Void

Just something about a trial for blood clot treatment.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53045180
Quote:

The trial, funded by the British Heart Foundation, will test the theory the clots are caused by a hormone imbalance triggered by coronavirus infection

The theory is that the virus causes a hormonal imbalance which triggers blood clotting.  They hope that the treatment they will try can be used to reset it towards normal.

It seems to me we are getting towards a better spot.
We have the Swedish experiment we can observe, and all over the world various people are working towards various contributions.

I have hope that by the late summer and fall, even if there is a second wave, the death and damage rate will be controllable by a much better margin.

Supposedly Pneumonia is not the worst way to die, not that I would ever wish for it.   But strokes and organ failures, that's a nasty thing.
It looks like they are getting pretty far for the Pneumonia treatments, and some of the other problems, but other than thinking to use blood thinners, I did not see something for blood clots until now.  Sure hope it works.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 17:39:42)

Done.

#459 2020-06-15 17:50:48

RobertDyck
Website

SpaceNut wrote:

We have the quarantine for 14 days for NH and the issue is one where its if you plan to stay but if you come to shop no quarantining is done. Also where is the proof that you did quarantine once you did decide to stay?

Yea, considering how close we are to disease-free, I believe they should end the restrictions. Restaurants are open, but restricted to half capacity, and must enforce 6-foot distance between tables so effectively every second table is blocked off. Customers in line at a check-out are supposed to separate 6-feet. Max number of customers inside a store; when the limit is reached a guard closes the store and people line-up outside. When someone leaves, one person is allowed to enter the store. Plastic shield at cash register. Waiters wear a hospital mask, and latex or nitrile gloves. After a customer leaves, they don't just clean the table/booth, they sterilize. It's quite annoying.

All this crap reminds me of the blimp from Bladerunner (click image for YouTube video of full ad)
7246023152_a00aec8be4_b.jpg

A new life awaits you in the off world colonies. A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure. New climates! Recreational facilities. Eeeasy advancement. Great pay.

The ad goes on to promote a replicant, but the part I posted sounds good right now. I could go on to describe my vision of Corporate Government for an independent Mars government. But you guys are familiar.

Oh! And I could describe photovoltaic panels for energy independent houses on Earth. They need two rare metals: gallium & indium. If may need more than available on Earth. Theoretically, Mercury should have those metals, and the 88-day sunlight / 88-day dark cycle of Mercury may have concentrated them into ore veins. Mining would be done exclusively during daylight, when it's scorching hot. Mars is cold, Mercury is hot. There's your "new climates".

Last edited by RobertDyck (2020-06-15 17:55:44)

#460 2020-06-15 19:05:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have had the outside dining now at social distancing as a means to get businesses going with the stay at home is ending and we are now into the next phase but for NH we are just now starting inside eating at reduced capacity with distancing but from what I have seen the people are reverting back to unmasked dirty slobs.

#461 2020-06-15 19:09:43

Void

Maybe it should be no shirt, no shoes, no mask, and also sanitize your hands, or no service.  The other customers should have some protection when it is possible.  Of course for eating then it would be distance.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 19:11:03)

Done.

#462 2020-06-16 07:26:05

Void

I wasn't going to post today, but I am often looking for Corvid-19 treatments.  Found an article.  Good chances others are aware.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health … spartandhp
Quote:

Steroid dexamethasone reduces deaths among patients with severe COVID-19 - trial shows

LONDON, June 16 (Reuters) - Giving low doses of the generic steroid drug dexamethasone to patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 reduced death rates by around a third among those with the most severe cases of infection, trial data showed on Tuesday.

I think in another article it costs about $35.00 for a full treatment over days.  So, this one should also help poor countries.  Good news.  It's a steroid.  Maybe they will try other steroids down the line.  Thanks Brits!

This article has more statistics:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281
Quote:

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth...……..

About 19 out of 20 patients with coronavirus recover without being admitted to hospital. Of those who are admitted to hospital, most also recover, but some may need oxygen or mechanical ventilation. These are the high-risk patients whom dexamethasone appears to help.

------

It seems like the world is adapting very quickly.  I think this experience will be good for the human race in the long run.  It may be that some of these treatments will used for other illnesses down the line.  Say maybe Flu.  We loose people to the Flu every year.

This treatment along with low level radiation, and some other light therapies should further improve outcomes for those on Ventilators and Oxygen.

We may be headed in the direction of rate of death improvements, so that in a few months, perhaps Corvid-19 will be somewhere in the vicinity of the Flu.  We could hope.

------

One item I am excited about for air borne infections in general, is U.V. sterilization of air circulated in buildings.

I like the gym, and they can be notorious for bad quality air.  People breathing heavy, some shouting, and touching the same equipment.
Air treatments to sterilize should improve that.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-06-16 07:42:12)

Done.

#463 2020-06-16 07:53:47

tahanson43206

For Void re #462 and specifically the UV sterilization of air you mentioned in closing.

This post is offered to try to encourage you to investigate that specific subtopic.  It seems to me highly relevant to Mars habitats, or those on the Moon, or just about anywhere humans want to live.

You are welcome to post your discoveries in Technology Updates for sure, but they may be welcome in other topics as well.

UV treatment of air passing through home air treatment equipment might make the technology of interest to the mass market, and thus reduce the cost for everyone.

(th)

#464 2020-06-16 08:45:39

Void

I like your interest.  Going traveling today though so perhaps later.

Thanks

Done.

#465 2020-06-16 09:49:35

Void

OK (th) I do have time.  Here is one:
https://independenceled.com/germicidal-uv-light/

This search phrase got several available: "UV light in ducts, kill Corvid-19".

Have a good day.

------

One way that could help dining places would be to perhaps draw air out of the room strait up through vents.  I am supposing that the exhalations out of people will be warmer than the room temperature, and so tend to rise.  That might not be too hard to implement if there were an airspace above the ceiling that a suction could be applied to, then sterilize the air and it should be possible to then inject some of it back into the room.

More expense but maybe some kind of surround for the tables, maybe curtains?  Expense, but then opening up these facilities could be safer.

Don't know how customers would react to that though.

Eating out is one of those situations where constant mask wearing is not so practical, so maybe worth it.

Might work for movie theatres to a degree, even useful if people wear masks.  At least the ceiling suction part.

However, virus tend to drop to the floor sooner in humid air.  It appears that not much infection travels though surfaces through, for this one.

It could be possible to have U.V. lights in the theatre itself when no customers present, say early morning hours.

Maybe even periodically during the day, between showings.  Say 10 minutes of it between shows?  Still would have to be very careful not to expose customers.  Also it might deteriorate the furniture.  Still maybe make mass movie attendance, (Wearing masks), practical.  Keep them in business.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-06-16 10:14:25)

Done.

#466 2020-06-16 16:12:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sanitizing places are part of the care needed to reduce the opening risk to the patrons that will not wear a mask and for the not so small distancing crowds for social places. Air cleaning while the rooms are filled is critical to reduce those occupying them from catching the virus.
We know that cleaning surfaces are a must even while people are present to reduce contact transferring of the virus.

We do hope that they many Covid-19 vaccine Human trials are successful including those now starting Imperial College London.

Of course there is the next phase and that is at what cost to whom Coronavirus vaccine will be made free for Americans who can't afford it, US officials say

#467 2020-06-17 16:25:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Arizona Hits Record-High Hospital Capacity As Coronavirus Cases Climb

The state's sharp spike in coronavirus metrics began at the end of May, two weeks after Governor Doug Ducey began reopening. Symptoms of the virus can take up to 14 days to appear, meaning the effects of lifting the statewide stay-at-home order on May 15 would not emerge until the end of the month.

Can we say out of control needing the public to wear masks and more as the numbers are only get higher

The ultimate covid-19 mystery: Why does it spare some and kill others?

The novel coronavirus can be a killer — or no big deal. It can put a person in the intensive care unit on a ventilator, isolated from family, facing a lonely death — or it can come and go without leaving a mark, a ghost pathogen, more rumor than reality.

Not the way to remember the families loved ones....

16 people test positive after night out at Florida bar which also saw seven employees infected with the virus

Time to trace for ground zero of whom was the carrier

Dallas Woman Tests Positive for Coronavirus Again After 4 Months: 'I Was Floored'

Meredith McKee first tested positive for the potentially deadly virus in February, diagnosed after feeling "clear and obvious" symptoms, dry cough like you would not believe. It would not stop,” …
She even donated some of her plasma after testing positive for antibodies to help up to eight people with this plasma,”
She went to the hospital admitting herself with high blood pressure and a headache on Friday, she found out she was one again positive for COVID-19 four months after her initial diagnosis.

Not good for immunity. Or infection if it was really dormant infecting those that received blood....

#468 2020-06-17 16:54:21

Void

Hopefully such things are an exception.  I could also speculate, that perhaps some people have weak immune systems, and indeed it was a second infection.

I found this today.  Still another way to fight the virus.
https://phys.org/news/2020-06-nanospong … ction.html
Quote:

Nanosponges could intercept SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection

Basically making fake cells to decoy the virus.

Maybe someday for other infections?

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-17 16:56:16)

Done.

#469 2020-06-18 19:20:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have suspected that from the symptoms that more than 1 strain was attacking Americans and now we have proof as Chicago coronavirus: Northwestern Medicine study finds COVID-19 virus strain unique to city

#470 2020-06-19 10:52:14

Void

From what little I know, it seems the virus needs the structure to penetrate and control cells.

Killing and maiming hosts, should be against it's interest, as long as infection pathways that reward the more evil versions are suppressed and not rewarded.  Keeping infections from the dead and very sick from going into the general population.  Under those circumstances, the virus should change to be less lethal/harmful.

In effect it should be possible to turn it from a wolf to a dog.  From a dangerous type of dog, into a lap dog.

Unfortunately it is possible that we will get deadly versions from populations on the planet who do not exercise the needed guidance.  So, a second wave could be a problem from that.  But if we culture a lap dog version, it is possible that it will indeed over time act as a vaccine.

I know you adore negative thoughts, but it is better to be both realistic and somewhat optimistic where it seems plausible.

It is likely that optimists are right more often then pessimists.  And I guess there should be a contest between them, so thanks.

I am not at all an expert, but my understanding is that Corvid-19 is genetically more stable than some others.

Where I would look is at the Epigenome.  In a human it is what tells a cell to be a liver cell rather than a brain cell.  At least that I what I currently understand.  And a change to it is inheritable.  A parent who experiences hunger may pass on a epigenomic change to a child.

While I have no proof, I speculate that for a virus, it might be true that it would do a random walk with it's epigenome.  That is for best propagation, it would to some degree alter its level of lethality using the Epigenome.  Purposely change certain part of the covering over the DNA or RNA.  I am a novice but I will flash a word at you anyway, that I sort of have some awareness about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylation

And: https://www.bing.com/search?q=epigenome … sp=2&ghc=1
Quote:

An epigenome consists of a record of the chemical changes to the DNA and histone proteins of an organism; these changes can be passed down to an organism's offspring via transgenerational epigenetic inheritance. Changes to the epigenome can result in changes to the structure of chromatin and changes to the function of the genome. Nov 28 2019

A good part of my working life I had dealings with process control.

Although I have no proven evidence, my instincts tell me that a very successful virus would be a multigenerational experimenter.  That is if it were sophisticated, it would have a method to randomly or possibly by some control process to alter certain parts of the epigenome, based on how successful it was at replication.  Such a thing may not be real, but it might have a rheostat, that it can adjust, depending on what rewards it receives.  A chemical computer program actually.

If it were in an animal that does not burry and otherwise isolate the dead and sick, and if some vector helped it to transmit to other members of the animal, then being lethal may be rewarded sufficiently to justify lethality.

So the original virus has some of that quality.

But in Humans where dead bodies are isolated from the living, and the very sick are also handled with good hygiene, a less lethal version would be more likely to occupy the "Host Space".

So for a virus, the setpoint may matter.  That would be that it attenuates or strengthens lethality based on replication rewards.

That leads to a curious thought.  Although viruses are not considered to be living, and although I can't imagine they have thoughts, it might a survival trait for a version of it to stimulate the hosts immune system to a degree, to keep it's competition out.  If that could be true, then there could be a war between versions of the virus.

Survival of the fittest, the most adapted.

Seems like it would take a long time, but what is the existence time of a single virus individual?   By now, how many generations have lived since the first human infected?  Thousands?  Millions?

-----

Anyway I guess I will spoil your day and offer hope.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/health/m … index.html
Quote:

Could an everyday childhood vaccine help against coronavirus?

So, the potential is that with such a vaccine, you would have better chances of a milder illness.

And you could protect Louis who will not take a vaccine smile

He is generally a bit of fun, so, yes protect him.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-19 11:29:52)

Done.

#472 2020-06-20 19:31:37

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

There's no out-maneuvering death.  People are going to die, one way or the other.  They can starve to death from lack of income while biting their nails over what this latest virus might do, yet probably won't, or they can take their chances while gainfully employed.  Either way, all of us are ultimately going to die.  The entire world can't sit on their hands until such time as a vaccine becomes available.  I'd rather take my chances with the virus than starve, but that's just me.  I don't complain incessantly that the government isn't solving all of my personal problems, either, but again, that's just me.  YMMV.

#473 2020-06-21 09:20:21

Void

I ran across this:  (Maybe the reader already knows about it, I don't watch much TV news)
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/c … -treatment
Quote:

Cow plasma used for potential Covid-19 antibody treatment

Genetic engineered cows would generate lots of very powerful anti-bodies for humans.  A better life than becoming cheeseburgers, I would think.

I did think, to wonder how you would build up significant herds, but then there could be used cow surrogates.  Looks like can do.
https://www.agweb.com/article/surrogate_cows

As I see it, then at least front line people and some patients could get this, and that might help prevent the more hostile versions of the virus from propagating into the general population from hospitals.  The idea would be that the virus could be domesticated to a less hostile form.

----

On the negative side though I am just a bit afraid, that a more hostile version may be propagated out there where people are so poor in resources.

But on the bright side, if we ever get another pestilence such as Corvid-19, we should be all set up to ramp this process up as needed.
And perhaps it will be income for farmers.

-----
I am not slamming the Swedes, they have handled their situation reasonably well with some mistakes, but if they had had treatments available from the beginning, I think that there methods modified by that would have been the right way to do things.  Of course if your resources are not enough to treat the ill and the in danger, then it would be correct to consider isolation methods such as we did in some places.  But with the treatment, that may well have not happened at all.

From what I have read, it is already much better to get Corvid-19 now than it was in March, in this country.  By fall it should be even better.
All those brilliant people working on this all around the planet.  It is a blessing.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-06-21 09:34:33)

Done.

#474 2020-06-21 11:30:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

What is dexamethasone, and how can it help treat coronavirus?

Covid-19 mortality was reduced by a third among those prescribed dexamethasone, according to researchers

#475 2020-06-22 19:43:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Saw that a nasal spray for virus is to enter trials.

90 percent of patients saw a sharp drop in antibodies in 8 to 12 weeks after being infected.

Board footer