New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#401 2020-05-28 03:21:42

Terraformer
Website

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

Japan managed to handle the epidemic by wearing masks and avoiding crowds.

There was no need for the hard lockdowns we've seen, other than to make up for the irrational resistance people have to wearing face masks.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#402 2020-05-28 05:17:59

RobertDyck
Website

Void wrote:

We can hope for better.

I hope things stay that good in Manitoba Robert.

My point is the lock-down is not justified.

#403 2020-05-28 08:00:30

Void

OK, I sort of agree with the last two posts.

However information is incomplete, and in my country, it seems that the Left is mostly in the "Run and hide, run and hide" mode.  I think this could be due to a craving for power, and to upset the social order.  I don't like them trying to play us.

And more on the Right are the "Oh, it's just the Flu" crowd.  They want to minimize the dangers, and get the machine that produces stuff, running again.

Then indeed, you have those who don't think they even have any responsibility to maintain "Herd Health".

So, then because I am trapped in a room with various sorts of clowns, the best I can do is behave myself in a reasonable mode, and to hope that the death and serious injury rates can be improved by new discoveries.

Last edited by Void (2020-05-28 08:03:03)

Done.

#404 2020-05-28 08:02:01

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #402

Thanks to Terraformer for notes in #401

From starting in January with no knowledge at all, there is by now a substantial body of experience, some documented professionally, but most likely to have passed without any formal notice. 

At this point, if you can imagine yourself leader of a nation facing the virus (pick your Nation), what direction would you offer to your population?

I observe a wide range of behavior by the human beings in my region, from belief in science and trust in medical authorities, to the exact opposite.

It is not clear to me how there could be a general rule for best practice on the part of the leader/ruler, because the nature of the population controls the outcome.

The ideal would be for everyone in the population to do everything in their power to prevent infecting others, let alone allowing themselves to be infected.

The tradeoff between feeding the population and preventing death seems to me to be a false choice.

If the collective desire on the part of a population were to prevent death of any citizen, while at the same time attending to the physical needs, then I am confident those two goals could be met simultaneously.

As just one example, meat packing plants were designed for maximum throughput at the lowest possible cost, with (obviously) zero investment in measures to prevent spread of a biological agent in the facilities.

It is my opinion that for a modest additional investment at the beginning, meat packing plants could have been designed to achieve the same level of throughput while keeping workers safe.

It was simply NOT part of the mindset of the architects and engineers to even think about such  concerns.

Going forward, and especially looking at the small highly interdependent population we can anticipate will flow to Mars, it seems to me that planners need to be constantly thinking about the risks of biological contamination along with all the other risks of trying to set up shop in a harsh environment.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-05-28 08:02:26)

#405 2020-05-28 16:13:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

What we will need to do beyond using the tools we do have is to go to the doctors for any flu or cold systems so as to test the germ which we might become sick with. If we do not test we will not know how to go about a cure for what ever is ailing you the patient.
Currently we take any of a multitude of over the counter med's for the ailment but these are just band aids not cures and are to target the symptoms so as to allow the body to sort it out.

‘There’s no stigma attached to wearing a mask’: McConnell makes plea in favor of face masks

#406 2020-05-29 17:39:51

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

The ventilation systems in modern US hospitals were specifically designed to inhibit the spread of disease.  We could retrofit subways, bus stations, and large buildings with such technology, as well as using hard UV to kill pathogens.  Sufficient UV kills pretty much everything.  Also, given correct dose rates, a little bit of gamma radiation goes a long way.  Furthermore, wearing a mask and gloves is not the major imposition that some have made it out to be.  It's not "changing our culture" or any other such nonsense.  We're protecting the vulnerable from everyone else.  If a government has to tell you not to sneeze or cough on other people, then something is very wrong with our non-educational system (it's run by regressive leftists hellbent on "controlling" other people, so go figure).  We used to wear our gas masks and play football or wrestle each other for our Friday night entertainment when I was in the Navy.  You get your entertainment wherever you can when you're quarantined aboard an aircraft carrier with 6,000 of your closest friends for 6 months to 9 months.

#407 2020-05-29 21:15:50

RobertDyck
Website

When I was a pre-schooler in the 1960s, the rule was never touch food with your hands. The reason was you would contaminate the food. Over the years since, industry has introduced food deliberately designed to be eaten with fingers: pizza, bread sticks, and just try eating fried chicken with knife and fork. Some science fiction TV shows have portrayed aliens with a phobia against touching food with their hands, as if it's somehow alien. Now you see why.

I could give a long-winded history of the table fork, but short version: most of Europe did not adopt use of a table fork until the 18th century (1700s). Why? It keeps your hands clean, and ensures you don't eat disease. The fork spread across Europe with bubonic plague.

#408 2020-05-30 07:33:38

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #406

Thanks for the reminder of ways ventilation can be designed to provide protection for occupants of confined spaces.  I've not had occasion to think about this before, but I'm guessing that upscale hotels may be designed with airflow in mind, to insure clean air going into rooms, and air from individual rooms flowing through the system to exhaust to the outside. 

However, for meat packing plants, I see an opportunity to go beyond air flow redesign, useful as that would be.  The Technology Updates topic recently posted an announcement about development of feedback mechanism (via electric potential) for remote workers (surgeons) who need precise feedback from remote instruments.  Something like that might be applied to the meat packing industry.  It would provide employment for low skilled workers, while keeping the cost of equipment below that of full AI "workers". 

We humans need a way to help low skilled workers to earn an honest living, "safely", while their children grow up to take on whatever more advanced jobs await them as the economy evolves.

For RobertDyck re #407
Thank you for the reminder of the history of the introduction of the fork.  It's been a long time since I've visited a fried chicken emporium.  I wonder what changes (if any) they might have made in recent times.  The take-out business was always a major component of that business, so I would assume it just grew in volume. 

(th)

#409 2020-05-30 09:02:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ventilation of a space is one of monitoring atmospheric content to changing the air to what we need. That means filters, gas mix sources, blowers, suction pumps etc which take into account shape and volume for flow rates to keep the air safe for humans and less toxic.

#410 2020-05-30 09:30:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #409

You have noted work by NASA and others to develop a solid-state atmosphere processing capability.

As a reminder ... solid-state does NOT mean an absence of mechanical activity.  What it DOES mean is that activity has moved from the macro level where humans have been building machinery for centuries, to the level where cells operate and below.

The hints offered by success in developing solid state Oxygen delivery systems is encouraging for dynamic air filtering for military personnel, medical personnel, fire fighters and other emergency workers, and the ordinary citizen just wanting to avoid the Corona virus, or ** any ** virus, or air pollution from industrial processes that still contaminate the atmosphere of Earth.

(th)

#411 2020-05-30 10:10:18

RobertDyck
Website

Changes? How about going back to eating etiquette from North America (Canada and US) from when we were children. Parents were required to teach children before they were old enough to attend kindergarten. Yet the current generation doesn't even know.

Do what you want when you're eating at home alone. If you live alone, you cannot spread disease because there's no one to spread it from. But if you live with even a single other person, then it's time to use table etiquette. And that means every day. Every single day. Every meal.

First, wash your hands before coming to the table. Every time. It doesn't matter if you think you didn't do something to dirty your hands, wash them anyway. Every time, before every meal.

Table setting for every day use: (formal banquette is much more elaborate)
Basic+Place+Setting.jpg

Never touch your food with your hands. And never serve using flatware from your place setting. Always use a separate serving spoon or fork to transfer food from a serving bowl or plate to your dinner plate. The reason is you must never touch food in the serving bowl with anything that has touched your hands, or worse your mouth. Once something has touched your mouth, it's contaminated. In kindergarten you may have heard of "cooties"; well, they're real, but in real life they're called bacteria, parasite, and virus.

Serving spoon and utensil sets have been invented. You don't really need the serving utensils to be any different than a place setting, they're different just to emphasize their role. Do not eat with serving utensils, and never touch the part of serving utensils that touch the food. For god sake, never let a serving spoon touch your mouth. Serving spoons are made to be too large to fit in your mouth. That's on purpose, so you won't be tempted to eat with them. Serving forks are also too large to fit in your mouth, you could seriously impale yourself if you try. Never touch the food end of a serving utensil with your hand, only touch the handle. Again, that's because you are covered in "cooties". And by "cooties", I mean COVID-19 virus.
81yLyhZfKYL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Never eat directly out of the serving bowl or plate. Always transfer food to your own plate first. Your plate will be treated as contaminated after the first forkful for first spoonful you have eaten. Anything that touches your dinner plate is treated as contaminated the moment it touches your plate. Same with the soup bowl of your place setting, your water glass (or beer glass or wine glass).

If anything falls to the floor, it's treated as contaminated the moment it touches the floor. That's because the floor is considered contaminated. It doesn't matter that your parent just cleaned and sterilized it, as soon as people walk on it to reach the dining table, their feet have contaminated the floor. If you drop your dinner fork to the floor, put it in the pile of dishes to be washed, and get a new clean one. If any food falls to the floor, the moment it touches the floor it's contaminated, throw it in the garbage.

#412 2020-05-30 11:24:45

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #411

SearchTerm:EatingEtiquette
SearchTerm:Kindergarten

In our household, those lessons were taught over a number of years by example and at-the-moment admonition.

This is the first time I have seen them collected into a single frame.  Nice!

(th)

#413 2020-05-31 16:49:57

Void

https://scitechdaily.com/new-research-p … -pandemic/
Quote:

New Research Points to Treatment for COVID-19 Cytokine Storms, Solution to Global Pandemic

I would qualify that as a partial solution, but a good part.

Other problems have some solutions.  Supposedly there are drugs that can freeze the actions of the virus, if you get it, STI-1499 possibly, although it is not fully demonstrated on humans yet.
https://www.drugs.com/clinical_trials/s … 18581.html

And I have been reading about blood clots, some which generate strokes in younger people.  Supposedly, if you get in for treatments as soon as possible, but not after 24 hours, treatments may help a lot to dissolve them before they do permanent damage.

So far no sureness for damage to other organs, but with the three mentioned possible useful treatments, it seems to me that the death and serious damage rates may be strongly improved.

Of course some day a vaccine would be desired by many people, but until then and for those who won't accept it, is the above.

The news is getting somewhat better.

Perhaps before the next wave, these treatments and some others will greatly reduce the suffering, and fear, and allow a more open society.

Last edited by Void (2020-05-31 16:57:29)

Done.

#414 2020-05-31 17:12:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

From all case we are not responding soon enough to the symptoms as to be the main reason for people to die as the damage has been done. We have come to the point where we come to not seeking help.

#415 2020-05-31 17:58:01

Void

Are you toying with me sir or mam? smile

Diagnosis:  The nature of the disease is being better discovered.
Education:  Two types of major harm up to death:
1) Immune system goes out of control for those who are deeply ill.
2) Blood Clots.

#1 is sad as it more often takes out the elderly.
#2 is sad because the young can die or be crippled, not just the old.

So, it is very important to educate the young and all public, that if they develop slurred speech or motor function abnormalities, they must seek medical help as soon as possible.

After education, comes hygiene.  Masks, social distancing, washing, hand cremes.

For those who test positive, then tracing.  Finding those who may have been in contact with an infected person.  Treating them as necessary.

By then begins to develop a degree of herd immunity.  Probably slow to develop, but it will be there.

Herd immunity probably works faster than people think, as super spreaders likely die, or develop significant immunity.

Also there is some evidence that even some types of a history of a cold will apparently provide a degree of immunity.  So that could be some of the answer why there are asymptomatic infections out there.  Some suspicion/evidence:
https://www.foxnews.com/health/does-pre … e-evidence

Apparently most people who do get sick from the Coronavirus, particularly the young can simply go home and isolate for a period of time.
Of course they would be educated to watch out for things going more seriously wrong.

The next level is people who need hospital.  That does not necessarily lead to being put onto a ventilator.
There are already at least one drug which appears to shorten the illness time period.

But for those in hospital, I believe that they can monitor the chemistry of the blood and have a pretty good clue as to how bad that particular patient is going to get.

In the case where that looks bad, then they might prescribe STI-1499, if it turns out to what they believe it will be.  And that antibody, they hope will stop the virus from invading healthy cells.  That then stops the virus from replicating.

For those who's immune system somehow would go out of control anyway (And I am not thinking that would happen unless they had refused help until they were very far gone), there are antibody treatments, and the item I mentioned in my last post.

And so I cheerfully mentioned this:
https://scitechdaily.com/new-research-p … -pandemic/
Quote:

New Research Points to Treatment for COVID-19 Cytokine Storms, Solution to Global Pandemic

------

And I did not mention blood plasma transfusions.  Where they would be plugged in, I suppose would depend on how much need there would be for a particular patient with a particular level of illness.

So, the answer is, we cannot be responsible if people do not choose to exercise their survival options as listed previously.

Will some people die because they are stupid?  I bet.

Will some people die anyway?  I bet.

But may it become possible to reduce the death and maiming rates?  I think so.

Will the situation be better? Yes, that's what I believe.

-----

And then we hope then eventually vaccine(s), and a better method of herd immunity.

Some people perhaps even someone on this site might refuse the vaccine, but herd immunity will probably protect them.
Some older people don't respond well to vaccines.

For those the previous treatments would exist.

So, a better world coming I believe.

I am really surprised why you lefties so much want to view the world darkly.  Is it to have a need for an authority to rule the public?  You can correct me on that if you feel I am wrong, but that is a suspicion of mine at this time.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-05-31 18:26:57)

Done.

#416 2020-05-31 19:00:59

louis

And finally - never cut up your meat into little cubes, then put your knife to one side and eat the cubed pieces with a fork...the food will be cold by that time and your knife will now just become a nuisance object with no proper resting place, unless you want to put meat fat on the table cloth.

RobertDyck wrote:

Changes? How about going back to eating etiquette from North America (Canada and US) from when we were children. Parents were required to teach children before they were old enough to attend kindergarten. Yet the current generation doesn't even know.

Do what you want when you're eating at home alone. If you live alone, you cannot spread disease because there's no one to spread it from. But if you live with even a single other person, then it's time to use table etiquette. And that means every day. Every single day. Every meal.

First, wash your hands before coming to the table. Every time. It doesn't matter if you think you didn't do something to dirty your hands, wash them anyway. Every time, before every meal.

Table setting for every day use: (formal banquette is much more elaborate)
https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/394 … etting.jpg

Never touch your food with your hands. And never serve using flatware from your place setting. Always use a separate serving spoon or fork to transfer food from a serving bowl or plate to your dinner plate. The reason is you must never touch food in the serving bowl with anything that has touched your hands, or worse your mouth. Once something has touched your mouth, it's contaminated. In kindergarten you may have heard of "cooties"; well, they're real, but in real life they're called bacteria, parasite, and virus.

Serving spoon and utensil sets have been invented. You don't really need the serving utensils to be any different than a place setting, they're different just to emphasize their role. Do not eat with serving utensils, and never touch the part of serving utensils that touch the food. For god sake, never let a serving spoon touch your mouth. Serving spoons are made to be too large to fit in your mouth. That's on purpose, so you won't be tempted to eat with them. Serving forks are also too large to fit in your mouth, you could seriously impale yourself if you try. Never touch the food end of a serving utensil with your hand, only touch the handle. Again, that's because you are covered in "cooties". And by "cooties", I mean COVID-19 virus.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com … SX522_.jpg

Never eat directly out of the serving bowl or plate. Always transfer food to your own plate first. Your plate will be treated as contaminated after the first forkful for first spoonful you have eaten. Anything that touches your dinner plate is treated as contaminated the moment it touches your plate. Same with the soup bowl of your place setting, your water glass (or beer glass or wine glass).

If anything falls to the floor, it's treated as contaminated the moment it touches the floor. That's because the floor is considered contaminated. It doesn't matter that your parent just cleaned and sterilized it, as soon as people walk on it to reach the dining table, their feet have contaminated the floor. If you drop your dinner fork to the floor, put it in the pile of dishes to be washed, and get a new clean one. If any food falls to the floor, the moment it touches the floor it's contaminated, throw it in the garbage.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#417 2020-05-31 20:00:20

RobertDyck
Website

Today's update. I get a daily emails from the local broad-sheet newspaper. They get their figures from the provincial ministry of health.

Total number of active cases has reduced to 9, with none in hospital.
wfp-covid-19-daily-caseload-cumulative-web.png

And now there are riots in the US. From where I live, Minneapolis is the closest city with a population over 1/4 million. Minneapolis has a population very close to Winnipeg. And traditionally college students from Minneapolis take spring break in Winnipeg. Drinking age in Minnesota is 21, it's 18 here. The fact those riots are so close, I find disturbing.
99292529_10156888187311653_64632183993663488_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=E6RDHo7LFjgAX-niTm_&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=e4acebe4d041ce65cf134e018a61a9f9&oe=5EFA9834

#418 2020-06-01 08:29:18

Void

Well, I really hope that this is somehow true:
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- … s-11998608

Dr. Erickson predicted that this would happen over time.  I hope it has.

Of course I think, however that the virus was much more deadly than the flu.  But maybe now it will not be.

It does not make sense for the virus to kill people as much as it had.

For the moment I am going to run with the line that it crossed from an animal to humans without human intentional manipulation.  Keep in mind, I will at the same way try to see if there will emerge any evidence that does suggest human intervention.  And if there were human intentional manipulation, it would not necessarily have been China, Italy, or the USA.  I mentioned the later two because China propaganda has for political reasons, accused them of doing the deed.  As I have said though, I choose to assume that the virus crossed over from an animal without intention from humans.

The virus is, as far as we can suppose an unthinking entity, that is only alive when in a host cell.  It is something like a predatory computer program.  I suppose that is why their are computer viruses.  A similar game.

From here, I will qualify what I say as my opinion.  You don't have to accept it if you think it is wrong, of course.

In my opinion, whatever the previous host animal was, it did not burry it's dead.

It did not put it's strongly ill victims into hospital, and did not put them into quarantine.  I believe that a virus of the type of Colds, Flu, and Coronavirus would have an evolutionary set point, similar to a process control.  That set point would be the maximum propagation of the virus.

For the animal without burial, and hospital, then the amount of deaths of the host animal can be encouraged to be larger.  The animals might transmit the virus through feces and dead and dying bodies.  I could include direct contact between seriously ill or recently dead animals and another of their kind.  So in that case killing the host in greater abundance would more permissible in order to do the most virus propagation.  On the other hand you have disgusting processes such as flies.  A boss at the last job I had told me that when flies land on you and then fly away they both defecate and spit.  And we know that they are attracted to feces and dead bodies.  Not just the living.
When a person dies, not all the cells in their bodies die immediately.  I believe it can have living cells for up to 3 days.  So, although I do not prove it here, the virus could still be active for a time after death.  And emitted fluids could be infected.  But we don't allow that very much.  We have a burial process that should limit that problem.  And we also often put significantly sick people into relatively hygienic isolation.  However it is not perfect care takers, and visitors can get infected, and hospitals would need to take concern about the air they discharge to the outside.  This would be very important in highly populated areas.  I figured that out, from reading the work of a Chinese citizen, who had the notion to burn the discharge with natural gas, to sterilize it.

So, for the corpse or dying host we greatly reduce the pathway.
For the hospital situation we do reduce the problem, but I presume that depends on how well though out are the methods.

So, for humans, Coronavirus started as mal adapted for the maximum spread of virus.  It is better off spreading as a less deadly version.
If it kills a human host, it has lost it's free lunch.  So it should evolve to be less deadly.

------
For the regular flu, it does kill some of the weakened individuals, but it is seeking a set point of maximum spread.  So it is a contest of making the maximum number of hosts sick, strongly enough to spread to new hosts, while keeping the number of deaths to a minimum.

That is what I currently think.

Sure hope the story about Italy is correct.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-01 09:00:05)

Done.

#419 2020-06-01 16:21:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

The maximum is from not isolating, continuing to work, not testing or seeking out medical care all from a list of unrelated symptoms until you are on deathbed sick before real medical care happens. If we continue to see these conditions as a nothing then we are going to see something like this again.
As for Italy and the virus getting weaker one could hope but I think we are getting better with the correct care for the infected.

#420 2020-06-02 05:21:56

Void

This is an interesting point of view.  I will confess, I did not entirely like his condemnation of baby boomers, although I will agree they may have taken us on some wrong pathways.  I am one by the way.

There is a video which is rather long, that is on this page.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/nobel … ge-mistake

He uses a term called saturation in place of herd immunity.

Basically he seems to believe in a less strenuous reaction to the coronavirus.

I sort of agree.  Elder care facilities should have better methods in place to protect the elders.  That is a lesson from many places.

But he seems to say, that due to "Saturation", the infection curve would flatten down anyway.

However, I am glad that lock down happened, as it promoted the search for medical methods to handle the illness in the cases where it is serious.

That's partly selfish, as I have sufficient income even now, and I am a bit over 65.  Obviously if I get seriously ill, I would prefer to have treatment options.

The following is related only to the extent that it suggests, that from the common cold, there may already be a sort of weak herd immunity, where people with it do not tend to get severe symptoms if they have the immunity to some type of common cold.

They are both virus of the Corona type.  I certainly hope it exists.
https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/people-b … mmon-cold/
Quote(s):

New Study Finds Immunity to Coronavirus Linked to the Common Cold

The authors of the study out of La Jolla Institute for Immunology wrote, “Importantly, we detected SARS-CoV-2−reactive cells in 40 to 60% of unexposed individuals, suggesting cross-reactive T cell recognition between circulating ‘common cold’ coronaviruses and SARS-CoV-2.”

And I wonder if there could be found a correlation to how some places seem to be hit more seriously by the Coronavirus. If you have lived in a climatic location where people more frequently get colds and flu, will the infection damages be less?

For instance do people in southern Europe get colds less frequently than people in northern Europe?  If so, might that help to explain a difference in hospitalizations and deaths?

Where I live the winters can be cold, and often the humidity becomes quite low in a heated building, if a humidification system is not in use.  Virus will float in dry air longer.  In humid air they will drop to the floor faster.  So, I would expect more cold and flu infections in climates with cold winters for that reason.

I wonder also if having had a flu shot might also provide some better immune reaction to the Coronavirus?

------

I also wonder if, until there is a useful vaccine, it might be considered to give someone a cold on purpose, if they don't show signs of immunity, and if they are an at risk person.  That is if it might seem that they would have a hard time handling the Coronavirus.  That would be strange.  If you have the option, you take a couple of days off work,  Get intentionally infected on Friday after work, and then return to work four days later, if you are not infectious anymore.  I would guess that results, and the level of illness would depend on the type of cold virus.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-02 06:59:28)

Done.

#421 2020-06-02 11:28:56

Void

Done.

#422 2020-06-02 19:08:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

It appears that the virus infection has the easiest time within the nasal passages and less so on the way into the lungs. So covering the nose is a must to lower risk.

#423 2020-06-03 02:29:54

Terraformer
Website

If the common cold gives immunity, then we can start inoculation *now*, no need to wait for a vaccine.

Unless there's a cytokine storm. Then it may not be a good idea. But that's true for a vaccine as well.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#424 2020-06-03 07:10:43

Void

It may provide some immunity.  I find it hard to believe it will not be investigated.

Further on it might be possible to put a Coronavirus "suit" onto a cold virus, but it would be necessary to make sure that you did not create a monster, so I guess then it would be as time consuming as making a vaccine.  But for the future, knowing how to put a "suit" onto a cold virus would be a good skill to have, in case in the future something like this happens again.  It might be possible to create something that annoys the immune system in such a way that it would create an immune response for any virus that is corona.  But if you could do that, could you just generate a vaccine that works for a wide range of viruses that are Corona?

Above my level.

Done.

#425 2020-06-03 13:59:45

Void

To me it looks like the president was not entirely off base in some of his comments for therapies.
https://nurse.org/articles/uv-light-the … s-covid19/

In this sense I think he has a good heart and only wants to be helpful, but is rather out of his field.

Trying to offer hope in my opinion though.

I bet I will get some backlash on this.

This is of interest as well:
https://heavy.com/news/2020/04/far-ultr … ng-humans/

I was also trying to find an article I had found before where the air in a hospitals circulation system could be sterilized somewhere, probably where it could not hurt humans.

My interest in this is that it would be really good to find ways to keep hospitals from being sources of infection by the discharge or recirculation of air.

This is a bit of bad news:
https://zeenews.india.com/world/coronav … 85127.html

The Coronavirus from India is being said to be deadlier than that of China or Italy.

Yesterday I saw two articles that indicated that the Coronavirus in Italy had lost much of it's potency.  Found one.
https://in.reuters.com/video/watch/idRCV008ABW

I may be walking on thin ice, and out of my league, but the two may fit in with how it might be possible to domesticate the Coronavirus.

I would guess that the Italian result is because the Coronavirus is not being rewarded in replication by killing people.

I fear that in India, their strain of it is being rewarded by killing people.

I think it might be that both the disposal of the dead and hospitals, are being done in such a manner that the Coronavirus does not get rewarded by killing.

But sadly it may because of poverty, this cannot be done well in parts of India.

Just a guess.  It seems to me that a Coronavirus might be "Tamed" with strong hygiene.  It replicates very fast, and so it's evolution should be very fast.  If the deadly versions are not rewarded, then the less deadly strains should take hold.

It does lead to wonder if possibly a less potent version might be released on the population here, to prevent the lethal version from taking root here.  A desperate measure I am sure.  However, we can hope that our population already has significant abilities to deal with the virus.

That could be Neanderthal genes (I hope).
https://www.sciencealert.com/neandertha … ne-systems
It is counter intuitive.  An immune system that is too strong might go out of control more easily leading to death more often.

I read an article just recently that said so called humans, Neanderthals, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denisovan were the same species.  They could breed together just fine.  No mule type thing.

I just love how they typically refer to todays people and people who migrated out of Africa as human, and yet refer to the Neanderthal and Denisovan as "Archaic".  Technically all three still exist to some degree.

Prior exposure and survival from some virus that is Corona in nature (Again, I hope).

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-03 14:31:18)

Done.

Board footer