New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-10-28 11:01:50

Bill White

Re: President Bush, The Bible, and Mars - Does "Left Behind" hold us back?

*I remembered this thread from earlier this year.  I've recently seen 2 news items related to this character (a dime a dozen little hatemonger):

Mahathir

A friend sent me the transcript of that speech just yesterday, with the comment "What does it say when a world leader can say that Jews run the world in front of 52 other world leaders and get a standing ovation?"

Personally, I don't get the whole anti-semitism thing either. I see why the Palestinians would be a little pissed, but that's life. Irrationality of it aside, I expect a major Arab-Israeli war sometime in the next 25 years, maybe the next 10. In that case I'm unenthusiastically rooting for Israel.

In today's NY Times (no link since registration is required) Paul Krugman writes:

Last week I found myself caught up in that struggle. I wrote about why Mahathir Mohamad, Malaysia's prime minister ? a clever if loathsome man who adjusts the volume of his anti-Semitism depending on circumstances ? chose to include an anti-Jewish diatribe in his speech to an Islamic conference. Sure enough, I was accused in various places not just of "tolerance for anti-Semitism" (yes, I'm Jewish) but of being in Mr. Mahathir's pay. Smear tactics aside, the thrust of the attacks was that because anti-Semitism is evil, anyone who tries to understand why politicians foment anti-Semitism ? and looks for ways other than military force to combat the disease ? is an apologist for anti-Semitism and is complicit in evil.

Krugman's original point was that Mahathir was playing to a domestic Malay audience as part of a careful balancing act to stay in power. Loathsome? Absolutely! Stupid? No, its very clever. IMHO many Islamic leaders need Israel as a focal point to distract and deflect the frustration of their own people.

The message these leaders send is: "It ain't my fault you have a lousy life, it's Israel's fault and the USA's fault."

I have long since stopped being shocked when I see petty dictators and tin-horn tyrants lying to their own people for political gain. Yet I remain shocked when it appears our government believes that saying "Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire!" is a sufficient counter-propaganda strategy. Either that, or send some cruise missiles.

Of course, General ("My God is bigger than yours") Boykin gives aid and comfort to our enemies rather like a sports player who disrespects the other team only to find his quotes posted in the opponents' locker room. And giving Ariel Sharon our unqualified support also plays right into the hands of folks like bin Laden.

IMHO, as always.  smile

Oh - one more thing, Cobra:

Irrationality of it aside, I expect a major Arab-Israeli war sometime in the next 25 years, maybe the next 10. In that case I'm unenthusiastically rooting for Israel.

Israel probably will win the next war, and the one after that, and I too will root for Israel if such a war occurs. Yet lets compare Palestinian birth rates and Israeli birth rates and fast forward 50 years or 75 years. Look at those numbers and that is not a pretty picture for the supporters of Israel.

Unless we are all saved by the Rapture-bell.

#27 2003-10-28 16:48:53

Cobra Commander

Re: President Bush, The Bible, and Mars - Does "Left Behind" hold us back?

And giving Ariel Sharon our unqualified support also plays right into the hands of folks like bin Laden.

I'd say that's a good assessment. Unless we're prepared to really support israel in a move to answer the Palestinian question once and for all. But then we'd better be committed for the duration. Not that I advocate that action.

Israel probably will win the next war, and the one after that, and I too will root for Israel if such a war occurs. Yet lets compare Palestinian birth rates and Israeli birth rates and fast forward 50 years or 75 years. Look at those numbers and that is not a pretty picture for the supporters of Israel.

Again, no real argument. Unless the Israeli victory in a future war is complete enough to reverse the trend.

Unless we are all saved by the Rapture-bell.

I'll just have to find a way to forge that damn Mark of the Beast. big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Board footer