New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2018-09-04 19:39:21

louis

Re: Musk on the Edge?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#27 2018-09-04 20:10:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes the comments are very negative but if there is truth to the claim of a child bride its not just a flair for the jousting of pride to give a child size sub that was not even tried for the rescue after the negative comment of the diver that musk is fueding with.

Elon Musk has doubled down on his attack of one of the men who helped rescue a youth soccer team from a Thai cave.

He’s an old, single white guy from England who’s been traveling to or living in Thailand for 30 to 40 years, mostly Pattaya Beach, until moving to Chiang Rai for a child bride who was about 12 years old at the time.”

Woranan Ratrawiphukkun, Unsworth’s 40-year-old girlfriend, told Buzzfeed they have been dating for seven years.

Still not enough numbers but its possible....from an area of the world that does do this....

#28 2018-09-04 23:05:33

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Mr. Musk himself said he was angry when he posted that tweet.  I think all public figures, including President Trump and Mr. Musk, should refrain from posting every thought that passes through their mind over social media.  I know nothing of the private lives of Mr. Musk, Mr. Unsworth, or Mr. Unsworth's girlfriend, who doesn't appear to be 12 years old or any age close to it.  If Mr. Musk has information that Mr. Unsworth is or was having inappropriate relations with minors, then he probably should've reported that to the Thai Police.

As far as Mr. Musk's claim about the mini-submersible is concerned, the appropriate time to test the operation of a seat belt for the first time is not a car crash involving live humans inside the car.  In any event, the children escaped without harm using conventional scuba diving techniques used during other similar incidents.  I hope that is the outcome that matters to all involved.  If not, then someone's priorities are mixed up.

#29 2018-09-05 11:29:30

Oldfart1939

Maybe those here on this supposed "intellectual" website should not allow it to devolve into one similar to a "social" website?

#30 2018-09-05 18:37:18

louis

I think most people here have very little interest in Musk as "a celeb having a potential meltdown"...our only concern is how his mental state impacts on the Space X Mars Mission. It's as simple and brutal as that.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Maybe those here on this supposed "intellectual" website should not allow it to devolve into one similar to a "social" website?

#31 2018-09-06 07:19:35

kbd512
Administrator

Louis,

That's a very accurate description of what I care about.  I'm not interested in the personal lives of people I know nothing about and don't have to interact with.  My chief concern is viable and affordable candidate missions to the moon and Mars, and primarily Mars at that.  I see little possibility of that being done by NASA without using rocket technology from companies like Blue Origin and SpaceX.  If we'd given those two companies more money and told them to build an interplanetary system for us, they'd have that done by now.  It's laudable that they're doing it on their own, but this mission requires public-private partnership and it would be nice if it could also include some measure of international cooperation.  If other nations are not interested in going to Mars, then that's their prerogative.  We should go anyway, just to see what we find.

#32 2018-09-06 08:40:25

Oldfart1939

kbd512 wrote:

Louis,

That's a very accurate description of what I care about.  I'm not interested in the personal lives of people I know nothing about and don't have to interact with.  My chief concern is viable and affordable candidate missions to the moon and Mars, and primarily Mars at that.  I see little possibility of that being done by NASA without using rocket technology from companies like Blue Origin and SpaceX.  If we'd given those two companies more money and told them to build an interplanetary system for us, they'd have that done by now.  It's laudable that they're doing it on their own, but this mission requires public-private partnership and it would be nice if it could also include some measure of international cooperation.  If other nations are not interested in going to Mars, then that's their prerogative.  We should go anyway, just to see what we find.

Too bad we don't have a social media "thumbs up" icon for this statement, as it mirrors my thoughts exactly. wink

#33 2018-09-07 08:00:50

louis

#34 2018-09-07 08:30:05

Oldfart1939

Weed is legal in both California and Colorado. Why the outrage? I'm not a user, but know plenty of people who are...

#35 2018-09-07 12:34:32

kbd512
Administrator

Marijuana is no worse than alcohol for most people.  Between the two, alcohol has claimed far more lives, with excessive alcohol consumption frequently resulting in depression (suicide) and violence (homicide).  I can attest to the effects of excessive alcohol consumption from my time in the Navy.  As long as the marijuana is not laced with any other drugs, it's one of the more benign drugs out there.  A range of prescription pharmaceuticals have far worse effects and are responsible for more deaths.

I know guys who smoke dope every so often who lead perfectly normal lives.  That said, more than a few of my friends from high school never amounted to much after they became major pot heads.  Like so many other things, it's not for me, but it also keeps some other people sane and even helps some who are suffering from terminal illnesses.

Again, I ask why is there so much obsessive interest in the personal lives of other people we've never met?

Small minds focus on people and/or things.

Average minds focus on events.

Exceptional minds focus on new ideas.

Resist the temptation to become an average or below average thinker.

#36 2018-09-07 14:29:00

GW Johnson
Website

I quite agree.  What Musk smokes or not is his own problem. 

He otherwise does good work,  and the very best when he has the right top lieutenants around him,  like Shotwell and a handful of others at Spacex.  No one person can do this alone.  He doesn't have the right team at Tesla,  which is why it has some troubles,  and why he has been overworking himself there. 

That being said,  there are folks who obsess over the wrong things.  The kerfuffle over Musk smoking a joint is one such. 

These folks are quite numerous,  which is why Tesla stock dropped on the publication of the joint video,  and not on the story about him overworking himself at Tesla.  Same folks failed to ask why he was overworking at Tesla,  did you notice?  Logic and common sense have little to do with this effect.

This phenomenon is also why SLS/Orion is still publicized as the only way to get to Mars.  Politicians abuse this effect all the time.  Just as they have abused NASA since the end of Apollo. Kinda shows,  don't it?

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#37 2018-09-12 19:10:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well this does not help Tesla just lost its head of global finance is leaving after three years. His last day is October 7.

#38 2018-09-17 14:50:39

louis

Latest: Musk is being sued...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45551895

Doubt this will put much of a dent in Musk's fortune but an unwelcome diversion of his own making.

#39 2018-09-17 16:34:11

Oldfart1939

louis wrote:

Latest: Musk is being sued...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45551895

Doubt this will put much of a dent in Musk's fortune but an unwelcome diversion of his own making.

Petty cash, but as article states, defamation is a difficult charge to prove in US courts--even if done by a "Public Figure."

This is National Enquirer level story.

#40 2018-09-17 18:30:02

kbd512
Administrator

I often wonder how difficult celebrities make life for themselves.  Accusing someone of crimes without providing evidence is bad form.  If you have evidence, then present it to a law enforcement agency.  If that fails and you're out of better options, then you can use the soap box.  People like Elon Musk and President Trump should hire full time word smiths who express their ideas for them.  Less is more.

#41 2018-09-17 19:45:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Musk will have to put up or shut up now in court.....

#42 2018-09-27 18:24:35

louis

Now the SEC are after Musk...that's serious.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-45672813

#43 2018-09-27 20:33:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

The tweet about going private was the bit that got the attention.
SEC sues Tesla CEO Musk, alleges fraud over tweets saying he made a series of "false and misleading" tweets about potentially taking the electric car company private last month.

#44 2018-09-28 22:49:10

Belter

The SEC doesn't want to destroy Musk, but they will fine him after a settlement.  They just want to show their power.

#45 2018-09-30 15:57:26

louis

Good prediction, Belter...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45696150

That Musk is standing down from Tesla, can only be good news I think for the Mars project...

Belter wrote:

The SEC doesn't want to destroy Musk, but they will fine him after a settlement.  They just want to show their power.

#46 2018-09-30 23:31:44

Oldfart1939

It's only money...

#47 2018-10-01 01:10:03

louis

$20 million or $40 million is neither here nor there when it comes to the Mars project! smile

Oldfart1939 wrote:

It's only money...

#48 2018-10-01 17:06:06

Mark Friedenbach

Actually stepping down from the board of Tesla is a pretty big deal. For better or worse musk has banked a lot of the mars project on success at Tesla, in the form of his incentive-based rewards that would let him keep SpaceX private while still pursuing big projects like the BFR. Now that he’s no longer  chairman of the board he doesn’t Have near singular control over the direction of Tesla, and may not be able to make those bonuses. That could have a huge implications for SpaceX

#49 2018-10-03 14:33:58

EdwardHeisler

Musk remains the Chief Executive Officer of Tesla.   And the Executive Board will pretty much follow his "suggestions".

#50 2018-10-16 21:03:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Judge approves Elon Musk's settlement with SEC over tweets

The $40 million settlement resolves government claims that Musk misled the public with a flurry of tweets about a plan to take the company private.

Board footer