New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2005-02-13 04:02:01

Rxke

Re: Happy Birthday Dr. Smith- Nov. 6th

Ahaa!

The Mad Grad Student has turned sixteen!

Mothers, hide your daughters!  big_smile

Happy Birthday, Mad Grad, always a pleasure to read your stuff, man!

:band:

BTW, is that the same band playing a song on every birthday? Those guys sure are party-animals...

#102 2005-02-13 18:48:29

Shaun Barrett

Rik:-

Mothers, hide your daughters!  big_smile

Don't be silly, Rik!

MadGrad's not obsessed with girls. Are you, MadGrad?
    MadGrad?! ....

... HEY, MadGrad ... Put that girl down and stop making a damned nuisance of yourself!!!   roll
                                             big_smile

Oh, and have a nice Birthday, too.   tongue

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#103 2005-02-14 03:50:52

Rxke

Happy birthday, Algol!

Been some time we heard of you, what's up? Getting too old for this kind of thing? :;):

#104 2005-02-14 05:20:44

Shaun Barrett

Yeah, come back Algol!
    But have a great Birthday first .. then tell us all about it!
    Many Happy Returns!!!

[Hmmm. Yep, Rik. I'm pretty sure it's the same band again.  :;):  ]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#105 2005-02-14 18:27:28

Palomar

*Happy belated birthday to Mad Grad Student (driver's license, wooooo-hooooo!).  Happy birthday to Algol.  smile  Yeah, come back.  Soon. 

Please!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#106 2005-02-18 15:32:46

Rxke

Happy birthday, Wim!

BTW: how was the Dutch Mars Society convention? Still feel bad I couldn't make it...

#107 2005-02-18 22:42:28

Mad Grad Student
Website

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I leave New Mars for a week (okay it was probably a lot more than that) and when I come back I find that people actually wished me a happy birthday! smile  I've always been more of a lurker than a regular poster so I'm always happy to see recognition. Have I told you guys that you're awesome before?

Don't be silly, Rik!

MadGrad's not obsessed with girls. Are you, MadGrad?
   MadGrad?! ....

... HEY, MadGrad ... Put that girl down and stop making a damned nuisance of yourself!!!

Well, I dunno. After all, I'm probably the only one here who's hijacked a thread to get dating advice before ( :;): ). It'll probably be a while before we have to start worrying about that, though.

It took me a while to get my Permit, so I won't be able to drive until May-ish. Still, it is pretty exciting, I suppose 16 is a bit like one of those threshold birthdays like 18, 21, or 40. The birthday itself was somewhat of an anti-climax, with all the work I've had lately I've barely been able to get seven hours of sleep at night, let alone have a birthday party (or come here regularly for that matter). I did get to see Aliens of the Deep, though, that was pretty cool.

Okay, I'm killing this now before I ramble too much. Now if only I could fix my danged avatar...

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#108 2005-03-06 01:39:18

Rxke

Happy Birthday, Austin!

#109 2005-03-06 18:22:30

Shaun Barrett

Ditto!!!    :up:   smile

#110 2005-03-12 06:03:43

Palomar

*Happy birthday, Graeme.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#111 2005-03-12 07:25:17

Shaun Barrett

Yes, indeedy ..
    Hope you have a great day, Graeme!   smile

#112 2005-03-12 21:03:43

Mad Grad Student
Website

Happy 35th Graeme, may you continue your enlightening tenure at Ares Express for many more birthdays to come! smile

#113 2005-03-15 04:08:42

Shaun Barrett

Happy Birthday, ERRORIST!

I confess there have been times when your persistence with fairly 'out there' concepts has been a strain on my sanity, but then I'm not always that easy to get along with, myself  tongue

Have a thumping good time and Many Happy Returns!  smile

#114 2005-03-26 01:59:16

Shaun Barrett

On this day in 1946, a good woman did us all a favour and presented the world with ...
    ... Wait for it ..
    ... Yes ..
    ... It was ..
                .... REX CARNES!!!    :band:

Happy Birthday, Rex!   smile

[P.S. We don't see you around here nearly often enough.]

#115 2005-03-27 06:05:05

Shaun Barrett

Greetings and felicitations to you Grypd on the occasion of your 34th Birthday!
    Hip hip, Hooray! .. etc. etc.  big_smile
   [34's good. It's 44 you have to look out for.  :laugh:  ]

#116 2005-03-27 08:03:47

Palomar

*Happy belated birthday to ERRORIST and Rex.

Happy birthday Grypd. 

smile

--Cindy

#117 2005-03-27 14:18:58

dicktice

Grrr-r, it's a well-known fact tha youth is wasted on the young.

#118 2005-03-29 05:36:39

Palomar

*Well, the only thing fair about aging (and subsequent dying) is that it happens to everyone.  I'm still fairly young, yet 1975 wasn't all that long ago (10 years old at the time and I recall it quite well); 30 years slipped by rather quickly, in retrospect...though quite a chunk of that time at the time seemed slow.  But from *this* vantage point?  Where'd it go??  Another 30 years from now... 

Rich, poor, ugly, beautiful, smart, not-so-smart...the Queen of England and the local high-school janitor; everyone.

And no, I certainly don't look forward to getting old either, and considering all the reports I transcribe about the elderly and the many physical ailments/woes which comes with old age...  sad  I'm trying to empathize, even if I don't understand/know it *personally* at this point in time.  It's definitely humbling to realize that most of these folks didn't have all these health troubles when they were young...and so health isn't to be taken for granted.  :-\ 

--Cindy

#119 2005-03-29 21:40:37

Shaun Barrett

Cindy:-

30 years slipped by rather quickly, in retrospect...

You can say that again!
    The older you get, the quicker it goes. I'll be 50 this year and, although I'm not actually staring down death's barrel, I can see the gun quite distinctly from where I'm standing!  yikes    big_smile

#120 2005-04-01 06:53:53

Palomar

*Happy birthday, CM Edwards!  :band:

--Cindy  smile

-*-

Shaun:  The older you get, the quicker it goes. I'll be 50 this year and,

No you won't, sweetie.  Dicktice is getting younger with each birthday; he'll be 78 next time around.  Same for you:  In July you'll be 49 and in May I'll be ... again.  big_smile  Wow, I can't wait for 2015...!

#121 2005-04-01 21:35:35

Mad Grad Student
Website

And that wisdom is wasted on the elders. I liked your deft use of "tha," though, makes you sound like a true gansta. tongue

Just kidding, of course. Happy 33rd, CM Edwards! smile  Cindy, I think we all saw your profile before you removed your birthdate from it, so you don't have to hide from being ** years old. At my age, I'm certainly much more facile with the idea of getting older, but it's not something with which I'm exactly enamored. For now, age brings experience, wisdom, maturity, new horizons with each passing day; in twenty years? Bah, I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. In the end, no one gets out of life alive.

But on the plus side, being alive's pretty neat. I certainly enjoy it. big_smile

#122 2005-04-02 00:33:55

Shaun Barrett

Yes, I'll go along with that - most definitely.
    Happy 33rd Birthday, CM !!   smile
    And may the remaining 2/3rds of your life be better than the first 1/3rd  :up:

[ P.S.
    MadGrad:-

But on the plus side, being alive's pretty neat.

Yeah, but how do you know being dead isn't neater still - no one's come back to tell us?!  ???   tongue 
    As Isaac Asimov said:-
        Life is pleasant;
        Death is peaceful.
        It's the transition that's troublesome!
                 So at the very least, it's peaceful. And maybe it's cool!  big_smile  ]

#123 2005-04-02 13:15:28

Mad Grad Student
Website

Okay, Shaun, maybe I'll go with that. Why don't you try it first, and then tell us what it's like, then we'll know. But if I'm up to pitch next Saturday's game in Heaven, please tell them I'll have to sit this one out. :laugh:

#124 2005-04-05 22:17:55

Shaun Barrett

MadGrad:-

Why don't you try it first ... ?

:laugh:
    The chances are good that I'll beat you to it, anyhow!  I'll try to come back and give you some idea what it's like.  :;):

#125 2005-05-18 06:22:14

Grypd

WELL HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY

:band:  :band:  :band:

Best of luck and all those birthday wishes. And have fun opening them presents.  big_smile

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

Board footer