New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#51 2017-03-12 23:20:17

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Re: A Constitution of Mars; Scientocracy

Scientocracy sounds too much like Scientology! The Soviet Union was originally supposed to be a Scientocracy, the problem is, they supposed scientists that would be running the place would not be objective in their conclusions about what works, because the power we would give them would corrupt them, and they would always bias towards conclusions that keep themselves in power. Beware of too much innovation in government, the innovators often want power for themselves, and their ideas are little more than snake oil to fool a gullible public into putting them in power.

#52 2017-03-13 07:13:36

Scott Beach

Tom Kalbfus wrote:

Scientocracy sounds too much like Scientology! The Soviet Union was originally supposed to be a Scientocracy, the problem is, they supposed scientists that would be running the place would not be objective in their conclusions about what works, because the power we would give them would corrupt them, and they would always bias towards conclusions that keep themselves in power.

Scientology is a religion and a scam.  Yes, Soviet "scientists" perverted their science to acquire money and power.  Fortunately, their silly lies have self-destructed.

I regard Comunidad de los Horcones (Community of the Bifurcated Wooden Pillars) as a scientocracy.  They tell their children that the behavior of an organism is a function of its physiology, its history of reinforcement and punishment, and its current environment.  Then children can go into the "Behaviorology Laboratory" and put a small critter into an Operant Conditioning Chamber (a "Skinner box").  They apply behavior shaping procedures to the critter and see that the procedures work.  They learn to apply similar procedures to themselves (behavioral engineering) and they participate in politically coordinated efforts to maintain or modify the culture of their community (cultural engineering).  They are not asked to believe the theory and practices of behaviorology.  They learn for themselves that the theory is true and that the practices work.

Behaviorology is a science, not a religion.  No one is asked to believe in behaviorology on the faith that it is true.  They believe in behaviorology because they have proven it to be true in their Behaviorology Laboratory and in their Cultural Laboratory (i.e., their community).

"It is possible to build a rational and humane culture completely free from the threat of supernatural restraints."  Arthur C. Clarke, The Songs of Distant Earth

#53 2017-03-13 08:32:21

Scott Beach

I included in my “Charter of the Government of Mars” the idea of a “Mars Secretariat” (per Bruhns and Haqq-Misra).  However, I did not specify how the “chief administrative officer” of the Mars Secretariat would be chosen.  In that regard, I propose the following:

The first chief administrative officer of the Mars Secretariat (the “Secretary of State of the Government of Mars”) might be elected by the United Nations General Assembly immediately after the General Assembly adopts the Charter of the Government of Mars. 

Three to six months prior to the scheduled date of that vote, the General Assembly might invite the Mars Society to nominate three to five persons who are qualified and willing to serve as the Secretary.  The General Assembly might elect one of those persons.

After the Parliament of Mars becomes functional (i.e., after the establishment of 10 permanent settlements on Mars), the Secretary would be elected by the Parliament.  The Secretary would continue to issue permits to establish new settlements but would be doing so in accordance with laws enacted by the Parliament.

Eventually, the General Assembly would repeal the Charter of the Government of Mars and invite that Government to become a full, voting member of the United Nations.

Mars would, in essence, become a Trust Territory of the United Nations with the expectation that Mars would eventually become a mature, self-governing nation and a member of the U.N.

Please feel free to propose alternative processes.

Last edited by Scott Beach (2017-03-13 08:33:16)

"It is possible to build a rational and humane culture completely free from the threat of supernatural restraints."  Arthur C. Clarke, The Songs of Distant Earth

Board footer