New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2017-02-25 23:01:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Mars Direct; Mars Semidirect; Design Reference Mission. Need Updating?

While doing some more searching the web I did come across this  https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/docs/Bayle … -Paper.pdf
Page 3 has a graph of the atmospheric density to altitude and it seems that its pretty solid and consistant at 30km and down but above this its seems to vary quite a bit.

#27 2017-02-26 02:33:06

RobertDyck
Website

GW Johnson wrote:

Somewhere,  somebody has to address the wisdom of exploring one site versus many.  500 years ago it was many,  for the most successful ventures of that time.  There's real lesson about what "exploration" really is there. 

If you go with many sites,  all this minimalist throwaway stuff is nonsense.  You have to start thinking recoverable and reusable designs,  for as much of the architecture as is humanly possible.  Use it many,  many times for multiple missions and purposes,  and in spite of the higher thrown weights,  it becomes ultimately cheaper,  but only as amortized over a life cycle. 

GW

Zubrin had argued for exploring multiple sites before settling on one to build a permanent base. He argued exploration sites should be within rover range of each other, so Mars explorers could go from one former Mars site to another. He called them "warming huts". I have argued that was fine in 1990, but NASA has spent 27 years and counting doing exploration with robotic vehicles: orbiters, landers, rovers. All that time and money has to be good for something. Instead settle on one site now, start construction of the permanent base with the first human mission. That doesn't mean you're restricted to one site. Initially use the rover to explore many km from base. Eventually use a "hopper" rocket to travel vast distances from base.

I also argued to make the Interplanetary Transit Vehicle reusable. To travel from ISS to high Mars orbit and back. Aerocapture at each planet. And the surface habitat will be reusable, each mission building up the permanent base. Initially with expendable propulsion stages, but when technology becomes available, those stages can be replaced by a reusable one.

#28 2017-02-26 09:56:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Entry, Descent & Landing Sequence Overview of MSL
This has lots of details for the timing and such for GW to read through for retro propulsion useage.

Working backwards from the numbers for the permanent base once we establish those numbers for what is that mass we then work backwards towards what mission archecture can deliver what we need and when.

If all you want is empty room area send down an Inflateable and hope that you can move all you need into it later. Otherwise send down what many call tuna cans and be done with the construction other than expanding what we have.

#29 2017-02-26 10:17:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Origin of the Apollo-shaped Manned Mars Lander (1966)

WoodcockMEM12-660x674.gif

Woodcock’s 56.1-ton MEM would comprise a descent stage roughly 33 feet across (the diameter of a two-stage Saturn V rocket) at its widest point and, hidden beneath a protective nose-cone (“separable cap”), a 27.3-ton ascent stage “payload.”

WoodcockMEM21-660x453.gif

Woodcock envisioned that his MEM would form the basis of a long-term, increasingly capable and complex Mars exploration program. He proposed a design for a one-way logistics lander in which cargo and a “camper-type” pressurized rover would replace the MEM ascent stage and the surface operations shelter.

Crew support:

Woodcock calculated that 10.6 tons of water, food, and oxygen with a four-ton reserve could sustain a five-man crew in the MEM on Mars for 500 days. Like the logistics MEM, the power and shelter MEMs would land on Mars unmanned.

#30 2017-02-26 13:35:39

Oldfart1939

I've been doing calculations since yesterday evening using the so-called "Rocket equation," and have come up with what I call my initial Mars mission. This involves a much enlarged and modified Dragon 2 spacecraft, one with an integral cargo trunk section modified for pressurization and habitability, including a meal area, sleeping accommodations, and exercise equipment. Plus food storage. I've modified my architecture to a crew of 5. The dry mass of this portion of the system is ~ 35,000 kg. This is all within the ability of the Falcon heavy to make an orbital throw. This would be coupled with a 114,000 kg modified Falcon 2nd stage--modified to fuel by methylox propulsion and the new Raptor engine. Dry stage mass of 6500 kg, and 107,500 kg combined LOX and LCH4. These second stages would be equipped with extensible landing legs, similar to Falcon first stages currently in use. This system should be capable of meeting or exceeding the delta V of 4000 m/s required for trans Mars trajectory. There would be sufficient fuel remaining in order to land propulsively with considerable excess on hand. This vehicle could be refueled by ISPP and return to Earth orbit using aerobraking. This also calculates as "possible" using the Merlin engine and RP-1, but whether the RP-1 would remain fluid is highly doubtful? My other option is launching these systems 2 at a time--in parallel in order to use a tether between spacecraft and mutual generation of artificial gravity. The only real hangup now is getting the Falcon 2nd stages to LEO and subsequent docking with the spacecraft. I also propose they be capable of docking at the ISS through the standard cargo hatch; the spacecraft could be flown to orbit unmanned, and crew temporarily stationed at the ISS. It's conceivable that these second stages could be recycled in this manner and there are few if any throwaways. If sufficient fuel remains on board after LEO return, the possibility of a hypersonic retropropulsive atmosphere entry recovers these stages?

I've been mulling this over for a long time. Naturally, there would be several missions on order to accumulate the necessary base, preposition landing transponders, and transport the ISPP "factory" along with the Nuclear reactor and habitat construction materials.

#31 2017-02-26 16:20:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some of the rocket equations that I have seen are just something that I can not seem to grasp. Is there one you might recommend as calculus is out of my scope of capability at this time.

#32 2017-02-26 16:31:56

Oldfart1939

Robert Zubrin does an excellent job in his second book: "Entering Space; Creating a Spacefaring Civilization." A brief discussion of principles of rocketry on pp. 35-38 shed a lot of light on things. I had a lot of math--55 years ago--mostly forgotten by now. I spent several hours last night working on several derivations of Differential equations that I couldn't solve anymore. So...thanks to Bob Zubrin, it is now making some sense. I'm also hoping for GW to take a look at my conclusions. I hope I'm correct, or not too wrong!

#33 2017-02-26 17:21:31

GW Johnson
Website

Oldfart1939:

My best calculations show a worst-case 3.94 km/s to depart for Mars on a min-energy Hohmann trajectory,  duration about 240 days.  If you do nothing,  and if you do not miss the mark at Mars in some way,  then free entry at Mars is just above Mars escape at 5.04 km/s.  This needs to be a very shallow entry angle so as not to strike the surface while still hypersonic.  That situation is entirely unlike warhead entry here on Earth.  Unfactored for anything. 

Otherwise,  the delta-vee to enter low orbit about Mars is right at 1.59 km/s,  unfactored for anything.  The value of the mid-course corrections required not to miss the mark at Mars in either case is something I cannot estimate with pencil and paper.  I would hazard the wild guess it is 0.1 to 0.2 km/s. 

On the other hand,  if launched direct from Earth,  your rocket needs to be capable of at least 12.14 km/s,  assuming gravity and drag losses are 5% of the circular orbit portion of the delta-vee.  That value is factored by 1.05 on the theoretical circular orbit portion,  because surface escape (the "theoretical" value) is 11.18 km/s.  The theoretical surface circular orbit value is escape divided by square root of 2.  Use it to represent circular orbit at low orbit altitude,  where orbit speed is really slightly slower than the surface value,  the difference being attributable to potential energy at that altitude. 

These velocities combine not as velocities but as kinetic energies.  You need a velocity "at infinity" from Earth that is the difference Vinf = Vper - VEarth between Earth's orbital velocity and the perhelion velocity of the transfer orbit.  It combines with Earth's surface escape velocity (which builds-in the potential energy) as dV =(Vesc^2 + Vinf^2)^0.5.  That theoretical gets split into dV - Vcirc + Vcirc,  and you apply your gravity/drag factor to Vcirc,  the surface circular orbit velocity.  Then add some more for undrainable propellant,  and some more still,  for midcourse corrections. 

The rocket equation itself is quite simple:  dV ideally delivered = exhaust V * LN(MR) where MR = Wign/Wbo,  the mass ratio for the stage burn.  You can estimate exhaust velocity pretty closely as (Isp, sec) times g (either 9.8067 m/s^2 or 32.174 ft/s^2),  but only if your Isp is appropriate to the actual burn conditions.  That's where most people make their mistakes;  estimating the right Isp really requires doing realistic engine ballistics,  starting with characteristic velocity c* as a function of chamber pressure and mixture ratio.  Most of the reported Isp data people are using are too high,  being this or that definition that is simply not so realistic. 

This ideally-delivered dV must cover the theoretical orbital mechanics-derived dV plus any gravity and drag losses (around 5% to orbit at Earth),  plus any undrainable propellant fraction from the tanks (typically near 2%),  plus any course correction or maneuvering delta-vee budget (fairly low but who knows????).  So factor up theoretical dV enough to cover those things before you solve the rocket equation for the MR. 

Use a total of maybe 10% beyond orbital mechanics theoretical values,  and you should be in the ballpark.  For a given value of MR,  the propellant mass fraction is 1 - 1/MR.  Payload fraction plus propellant fraction plus total-of-inert structures fraction must be 1.  If there's not enough payload for a given level of inerts,  payload will show as negative.   That says the design is totally infeasible. 

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2017-02-26 17:53:40)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#34 2017-02-26 17:43:32

Oldfart1939

GW-

My calculations were for a delta V of 4.0 km/sec departing LEO; there's some wiggle room should a shorter time trajectory be desired. I also included a massive surplus of food and water in my Spacecraft mass. There's a full 30 month food supply calculated in case of an Earth Free return trajectory. It is doable with an RP-1 fueled rocket, but I'm worried about the RP-1 turning into a hydrocarbon equivalent of Jello. The step up to Methane helps a LOT w/r to Isp available and a much higher exhaust velocity in the Rocket Equation calculations. I should probably recalculate on the basis of a delta V of 5.0 km/sec departure, which should give a E-M transit time of 180 days, but still with a free return available. I'm just wondering what Elon Musk's next surprise will be? It would make sense to me for the heavy satellites he's contracted to place in GST for an upgraded Falcon 9 second stage in order to demonstrate the Raptor engine "in flight," and also showcase the Methyoxy fuel oxidizer couple. Your thoughts as to how much that could improve the lift of mass to LEO?

You added something in an edit while I was doing my last post. Here are the numbers I used: Base mass of the spacecraft minus fuel; includes the 35,000 kg and 6500 kg for the Falcon 9 rocket second  stage dry weight. Then: 107,500 kg combined methane and LOX. Isp for CH4 (vacuum ):348 sec. A deltaV/C = 1.173; e^1.173 = 3.23 for the mass ratio  (min). Mass ratio (actual) = 3.59. So...I have some wiggle room for a possible Mars landing, if not with the whole works but the crew capsule alone.

Last edited by Oldfart1939 (2017-02-26 18:01:07)

#35 2017-02-26 18:03:56

GW Johnson
Website

Well,  there's improvement,  but it's not all that dramatic.  The 1000 psia chamber c* data in my old Pratt & Whitney handbook are very little different between CH4-LOX and kerosene-LOX.  The difference between kero-LOX and NTO-hydrazine is not so very much either. 

The real difference between kerolox and methane-lox is in the reusability.  It is the fuel that cools the engine inside the regenerative passages.  Kerosene tends to coke in these passages when it gets hot;  methane,  not so much.  A big problem refurbishing for the next flight is cleaning out all the coked carbon in the passages. 

The problem with cryogenics at all is boiloff over long periods of time.  The problem with kerosene is it gels cold,  unless you keep the tank above -50 F.  I think you also have to keep hydrazine and NTO from freezing.  So there's just not that much difference. 

The only other difference is ignition.  You need a vacuum-rated igniter for kerolox or methane-lox.  NTO-hydrazine is hypergolic,  even in vacuum. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#36 2017-02-26 18:35:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

I typically will use comparison scaling when I look to what we have and what we want to do with it.

So lets look at the Falcon 9 heavy which can lift 53 mT to earth orbit and when I look at the same rocket being launched from mars surface we can scale it down by a factor of 2.66 as mars is only 0.375 that of Earth for gravity.

Or even think of it this way when we launch a falcon 9 v1.2 FT we can loft to orbit 22.8 mT so if this was setting on mars and scaled down by the 2.66 factor then we have a payload of ~8.6 mT which is approximately the size of a red Dragon. Normally its 70 m tall for payload and both stages. Which suggests a scaled down height of ~26.5 meters which is a long way to the ground from a capsule door but that could change as we work through the stage numbers. The Dragon Spacecraft & Trunk 8.1m (26.6 ft) height. Payload flairing is 5.2 m tall but I think we can use the dragons height once we recalculate the stages under the capsule changes.

Since Mars is a near vacuum it only makes sense to configure the lander with the correct engine (934 kN (Vacuum) Merlin Burn time of 397sec) for this iteration of design meaning we need for the second stage only ~351 kN for mars. Which means only 3 engines are required.

The normal first stage engine at sea level, for a total thrust of 6,804 kN ( Merlin 1D burn time 162sec) means we need to target ~ 2,560 kN for launch from mars surface for 1st stage. One engine is only 756 kN so giving the new first stage the 934 kN (vacuum engine) only makes sense.

Current Space x page indicates first stage Thrust At Sea Level 7,607 kN Thrust In Vacuum 8,227 kN, which appears to be 47 m tall. Mars height would be 17.7 m tall for the stage. Normally both stages plus flairing is 70 so if we remove the Pay load flairing height of 5.2 m out of the 70 m and 47 m first stage then the second stage is 17.8 m tall for the falcon 9 rocket and for mars at ~ 6.7m.

Merlin Vacuum Certification On March 7, 2009, SpaceX performed a full mission duration firing of the new Merlin Vacuum engine at McGregor.  The engine fired for six minutes or 360 seconds, consumed 45.36 tonnes of propellant, and demonstrated a vacuum specific impulse of 342 seconds, highest ever for a U.S. hydrocarbon rocket engine. 

The two-stage, 313 tonne, kerosene/LOX rocket so proportional for mars means ~118 t of fuel and oxidizer.
The second stage normally fires for 397 sec. so probably close to 50 t for the stage and for mars its 18.8 t.
The first stage then calculates to 263 t of which for reusuability is about 70 % leaving the rest for landing. So if we were on orbit and coming down then we would need ~79 t so for a retropropulsion we need ~ 30 t to land not count stage and capsule mass plus on orbit.

So mars sized falcon 9 is 32.5 m tall for a dragon plus truck of 8.1 m with a first stage 17.7 m with fuel/oxidizer of 30 t with a second stage that is 6.7 m tall and fueled with 18.8 t of which we would need to land with the second stage empty and a bit large fuel fill for the first stage for th combined landing attempt.

Seems like we could make this a single stage to orbit with the 9 vacuum engines.

Of course as meantioned the RP-1 and Lox is not the correct fuel for mars if we are making insitu fuels so now we would redo these calculations for the new fuel type and engines that we could use.

Something else is to change the 3.7 m diameter to the more practical 10 m to make the stages shorter as well.

With this long post we can see that for mars we are only landing a stackup of no more than the hieght of the current stage Falcon 9 for the entire mars lander. Which is a small 40 m tall at the 3.7 m diameter but if we go to the 10 m diameter then we are looking at something under 15 m tall. That said 4 engines for a complete single stage to orbit would seem to be correct.

#37 2017-02-26 20:56:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

So now to covert for the methane-lox and engines for the same scaling once engines numbers are looked up.

While we could land with NTO-hydrazine we do not have an insitu ability developed yet for manufacturing it for refueling.

The same holds true of NTO / MMH even with the super Draco engines.

We really need the ability to make other insitu fuels so as to be able to use what we have rather than changing plans for what we need developement for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinitrogen_tetroxide

Nitrogen tetroxide is used as an oxidizer in one of the more important rocket propellants because it can be stored as a liquid at room temperature. Nitrogen tetroxide is made by the catalytic oxidation of ammonia: steam is used as a diluent to reduce the combustion temperature. In the first step, the ammonia is oxidized into nitric oxide:

4NH3 + 5O2 → 4NO + 6H2O

Most of the water is condensed out, and the gases are further cooled; the nitric oxide that was produced is oxidized to nitrogen dioxide, which is then dimerized into nitrogen tetroxide:

2NO + O2 → 2NO2
    2NO2 ⇌ N2O4

and the remainder of the water is removed as nitric acid. The gas is essentially pure nitrogen dioxide, which is condensed into dinitrogen tetroxide in a brine-cooled liquefier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomethylhydrazine
Monomethylhydrazine (MMH) is a volatile hydrazine chemical with the chemical formula CH3(NH)NH2.

#38 2017-02-26 21:43:16

Oldfart1939

I also looked into using the Russian Proton M third stage, since it could be boosted  into LEO by Falcon Heavy in the presently as designed configuration. It is NTO/ADMH fueled but there isn't enough fuel available for a TMI. The Isp is fine, but the amount of fuel comes up way short. I didn't do the calculations for staging 2 of them in sequence, however.

Last edited by Oldfart1939 (2017-02-26 21:48:12)

#39 2017-02-26 23:22:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

The trouble with looking to get a comparible sizing for Space x is that they have not sent any thing as of yet to Mars only the Atlas V has done so. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_V
The Atlas V -541 has been used and will be used again for mars. capable of
It uses the American-built RL10 engine burning liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen to power its Centaur upper stage.