New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2003-04-10 17:34:28

Shaun Barrett

Re: Metric Conversion - Pros and Cons

Cindy writes:-

I love talk of pecks, bushels, ounces, gallons, quarts, pints, yards, furlongs, etc. It seems more varied, more human-oriented; like a lovely word salad.  smile

I know just what you mean! And what a perfectly poetic way you have of expressing it, too ... "word salad".
                                   smile

Bill writes:-

And "A pints a pound the world around"

Actually, Bill, that's not strictly true.
    In the American system of units, a pint is certainly 16 fl. ozs and, therefore, weighs a pound. And a U.S. gallon, being 8 pints, weighs 8 lbs.
    However, in the British imperial system, a pint is 20 fl.ozs - one and a quarter pounds! (A British gallon weighing in at 10 lbs.)

Please forgive this outburst ... I tend to suffer with occasional bouts of pedantry and couldn't resist the urge to be pernickety about this!!   big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#52 2003-04-11 08:33:02

dicktice

And, Shaun, wouldn't you know?--the word is "persnickety" here in Canada. Sorry, mate.

#53 2003-04-11 09:40:10

Bill White

In the American system of units, a pint is certainly 16 fl. ozs and, therefore, weighs a pound. And a U.S. gallon, being 8 pints, weighs 8 lbs.
   However, in the British imperial system, a pint is 20 fl.ozs - one and a quarter pounds! (A British gallon weighing in at 10 lbs.)

Heh!

Next time I ask for a pint of lager, better make sure I do so within the Commonwealth, no?

#54 2003-04-11 09:41:30

clark

i thought the Pound was refrencing currency.  big_smile

Board footer