New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#2201 2022-11-11 03:22:03

kbd512
Administrator

Re: Politics

Calliban,

My own "alternative perspective" is that people of all political persuasions have been conned into believing someone's brain barf.

I want both major political parties to stop wrecking America with brain-dead policy, to stop bankrupting the people with profligate spending, to stop promising things that cannot be delivered in any practical sense, to stop treating politics as the new Roman games, and to stop meddling in the affairs of foreign countries.

If there was an alternative party that could actually win elections, then I would be a part of that party.  There's no political party that actually represents my interests with a snowball's chance in hell of ever gaining power.  I'm far more interested in improving America than tearing down America or messing with other countries, but those parties seem to be the only two electable options on the ballot.  Our Libertarian and Green parties are as nutty as the Democrat and Republican parties put together.  I like the premise behind how the Libertarian Party would purportedly operate, but it's failed to produce more than a handful of electable candidates since I've been alive.  The Green Party is a hard "no" for me, at the present time.

#2202 2022-11-11 12:39:54

kbd512
Administrator

Democrats on CNN are now claiming that Ron DeSantis has cheated by limiting who was able to vote via mail-in voting, post-COVID, and arrested in 2018 and then threatened to arrest in 2022, people who were caught committing acts of voting fraud.  If arresting and prosecuting people who are committing voter fraud is "cheating an election", then CNN's commentators are outright advocating for cheating in elections if they don't get the result they're after.

#2203 2022-11-11 13:58:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections … ights.aspx

Florida - Lost Until Completion of Sentence | In Some States a Post-Sentencing Waiting Period | Additional Action Required for Restoration. Felons must have completed all terms of sentence, which includes probation and parole, and must pay any outstanding fines or fees before they can get their voting rights restored (Flor. Stat. §98.0751).

So, if you served the sentence and completed the requirement you should not be denied the right to vote.

https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/for … e-by-mail/

Pretty clear if you are denied voting by mail and your vote is not counted when that is an option that its election cheating.

#2204 2022-11-11 14:24:27

Calliban

kbd512 wrote:

Democrats on CNN are now claiming that Ron DeSantis has cheated by limiting who was able to vote via mail-in voting, post-COVID, and arrested in 2018 and then threatened to arrest in 2022, people who were caught committing acts of voting fraud.  If arresting and prosecuting people who are committing voter fraud is "cheating an election", then CNN's commentators are outright advocating for cheating in elections if they don't get the result they're after.

Is it possible that Florida was the only state where elections were not corrupted by fraud?  That would explain the disparity in results.

The Labour party pulled the same trick in England decades ago.  Postal votes were introduced.  Left-wing types would then carry out vote harvesting operations, filling in forms on behalf of benefit class types who otherwise would never have bothered voting.  People that didn't vote the right way also had their votes dumped in bins around the estates.  In at least a few elections, Labour agents in counting offices would count opposition party votes as Labour votes.  People with left wing views are usually fanatical, and will think nothing of corrupting the electoral process in order to get what they consider to be the correct result.

The only way of avoiding this sort of thing is to outlaw postal votes altogether.  If you want to vote, you should make the time to turn up at the polling station.  No one gets to see which way you vote between you putting the slip into the locked steel box and the vote getting counted at the end of the night.  If you cannot be bothered to turn up, then you don't have any business making such an important decision.  Turning up at the polling booth demonstrates that you take your duty as citizen seriously enough to make an effort to participate.  That distinction is important.

In other news:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/troubl … eft-causes

KARMA!

Last edited by Calliban (2022-11-11 15:13:54)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#2205 2022-11-11 15:36:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

#2206 2022-11-11 23:30:31

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

President Biden was recorded on television threatening to pull US military aid to Ukraine, while he was Vice President under President Obama, if their prosecutor's office didn't stop investigating the company his son worked for.  I guess evidence of corruption only matters when it doesn't point back at the accusers.  If half the country thinks that's no big deal, then we're at an impasse on President Trump's crimes, for which there is apparently no actual evidence.

Recall what ultimately happened to Comrade Beria.  It didn't end well for him.  There should be an object lesson in there somewhere.

#2207 2022-11-12 10:40:13

kbd512
Administrator

Democrat voters in Pennsylvania have now elected a dead man to office.  Representative Tony DeLuca died last month, but was still listed on the ballot, and Democrats voted for their deceased rep in such numbers that he "won" his election (posthumously, obviously), which has triggered a special election to, you know, elect someone with a pulse.  Since they elected a walking gibbering zombie to serve as President, I guess this should surprise no one.

Rush Limbaugh used to call Democrats "low information voters".  I'm starting to think he was being too generous because of his love for his fellow Americans.  These days, it's more like, they blindly follow their ideological programming over anything recognizable as "reality".  I don't think they pay any attention to who or what they're voting for.  Then they riot when they're unhappy with their choices, as they did during 2019 and 2020 in Democrat-run cities across the country, which cost billions of dollars and took dozens of lives, many of them their fellow leftists or people who "just happened to be there" during their tantrums.

#2208 2022-11-12 12:52:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

The latest conspiracy news has the VP replaced with California governor and then shortly thereafter Biden resigning...

#2209 2022-11-12 15:41:39

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

I wish California's governor would take over for President Biden.  Governor Newsom can read, write, and speak in complete English sentences and respond back to the press.  Even if I disagree with most of Governor Newsom's policies, I also know that he's minimally competent to lead.  President Biden is not competent to do anything.  Vice President Harris is either as incompetent as President Biden or totally disinterested in doing her job, or perhaps both.  I don't know which and it doesn't matter.  President Biden's Secretary of Defense, Lloyd Austin, would also make a perfectly acceptable President, but he hasn't been elected by anyone, whereas Governor Newsom has.

#2210 2022-11-14 03:23:16

Calliban

Ireland goes "Full Orwell".
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/ire … l-material

If this bill passes, people living there will be criminalised if they posses, in their private homes, any literature that the state (ruling ellites) find 'offfensive'.  The police can raid their homes on a whim.  Criminalising speech was awful.  This bill removes all human freedom at a stroke.  People will be criminals, not based upon anything they have done, but on what they believe and how they choose to express their belief in their own homes.  This is really the ultimate abolition of freedom.  It turns everyone into a dissident.

The only thing that stands against this sort of thing happening in the US, is the constitution.  And its protections have been steadily eroded since the turn of the century.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#2211 2022-11-14 09:40:32

kbd512
Administrator

Calliban,

It's one more example of authoritarians trying to control every aspect of human existence, from cradle-to-grave.  They never stop.  No bridge is too far for them.  Even after you're functionally their slave, it's still not enough for them.  They need to control what you think and believe as well.

#2212 2022-11-14 18:26:48

kbd512
Administrator

One has to wonder if the people who do this stuff ever ponder over the fact that everything they do to others can be done to them, using the exact same policy tools that they advocate for and implement.  There must be limitless hubris attached to their belief systems if they haven't carefully considered that possibility.  If they haven't thought of that, then the word "dumb" doesn't do justice to the shortsightedness of their behavior.  I guess things have to get a lot worse before the average person figures out that this is not how they want to live out their lives.

#2213 2022-11-14 21:14:13

Calliban

kbd512 wrote:

One has to wonder if the people who do this stuff ever ponder over the fact that everything they do to others can be done to them, using the exact same policy tools that they advocate for and implement.  There must be limitless hubris attached to their belief systems if they haven't carefully considered that possibility.  If they haven't thought of that, then the word "dumb" doesn't do justice to the shortsightedness of their behavior.  I guess things have to get a lot worse before the average person figures out that this is not how they want to live out their lives.

They are fanatical idealists.  This sort of mindset is driven by deep seated emotional insecurity.  Those involved tend to seek solace by investing their emotional and physical energy into the achievement of what they consider to be ideals.  When the outside world is frightening and unpredictable, human beings tend to build idealised models in their heads for the way 'it should work' in an ideal world.  In some respects, the less achievable the ideal is, the more they idealise it.  And they come to view anything or anyone that stands in the way of the perfect achievement of their idealism as being an obstacle or enemy.  The fact that their idealism is based upon a flawed and simplistic view of the world does not enter their heads.  To even consider the possibility of being wrong, invites emotional insecurity.  This is what makes certain ideas 'hateful' or 'offensive' to those afflicted with this type of mental illness.  They cannot tolerate people that disagree with them.  They cannot tolerate the existance of people that disagree with them.  Hence, all contrary opinions must be criminalised and stamped out.  The more marginalised opposing opinions become, the easier it is for idealists to impose this upon society.

This sort of thinking creeps into every aspect of society, whether it be political ideology, transportation or energy production.  We are all vulnerable to it to varying degrees.  Even conservative minded people were often idealistic in youth.  In conservatives, idealism declines with age.  In some cases it is simply due to declining emotional insecurity with rising achievement.  For most intelligent people, wisdom grows with age.  We tend to realise that life is a balance between competing forces and that processes are a compromise between efficiency and other costs.  We also realise that it is better to be open minded when it comes to different ideas and use them to build an accurate view of what is actually going on, rather than to protect at all costs some internalised sanctuary which requires that we view competing ideas as personal threats.  Idealism tends to push society out of balance.  Some people never reach this realisation.  They either lack the emotional security to apply this level of introspection or they lack the intelligence.  Some groups of people have personal, vested interests in forcing idealisms onto the rest of society for their own benefit.  I have spoken about these people before.  They function as parasites within European dominant societies.  But they are a minority none the less.

Whilst some groups of people are more to blame for than others, the fact remains that democratic forum is fragile.  For it to function well, its members must be open minded enough to at least tolerate opposing opnions.  Democratic forum is effectively dead in most western countries.  Voicing certain opinions is actively criminalised.  The parasites involved had deliberate reasons for doing this, and put themselves in positions that allowed them to achieve it.  But most of those supporting censorship are part of the same body politic as those that they seek to censor and do so out of mental frailty.  Democratic forum was undermined and destroyed in no small measure by the sickness of our own minds.  The parasites exploited this.  We now live in a society that fails to provide any of the external tools that are neccesary for forcing introspection onto idealists.  It has become a souless echo chamber, designed to reinforce idealistic prejudices, rather than encourage exploration.  Independant minded exploration is feared in educational institutions, because of the high risk that it will generate contrary perspectives.  Hence the need amongst idealists to pack schools with Marxists and to force out anyone that doesn't believe in sacred ideals.  Education becomes indoctrination.

Needless to say, this doesn't exactly encourage the sort of independant critical thinking that allowed the enlightenment and the subsequent industrial revolution.  It doesn't take much imagination to see how this sort of oppression leads to civilisational disintegration.  It is precisely to escape this sort of oppression, that so many of us dream of escaping to Mars.  That dream is in some ways an act of cowardice, seeking to escape the problem rather than confront it.  Be that as it may, it may actually be easier to start again on a barren airless world, than to confront the intransigence of a society where uttering the truth is criminalised.

Last edited by Calliban (2022-11-14 21:43:05)

#2214 2022-11-15 02:02:02

kbd512
Administrator

Calliban,

I guess I vastly underestimate the insecurity of the average person.  It seems... not very useful.  I have my own insecurities, but they're somewhat abstract in nature.  I worry about what is to become of us, collectively speaking.  I'm not worried about myself.  I have a very limited time here and have long since accepted that.  However, what we're leaving to our children is increasingly dystopian and chaotic.

Are we actually improving, or is it all an elaborate illusion of our own design?

What are we leaving as our legacy to the children of men?

Have these poor timid souls contemplated that what they're bequeathing to their children is an intellectual prison every bit as confining and degrading as the concentration camps?  At least in the camps, "arbeit macht frei".  We're not even allowing them that much.

Being committed to your ideology is all well and good, but if your children are no more as a result, then what?

How do you have a worthwhile relationship with oblivion?

I don't want humanity to go to Mars because I'm looking for an escape from reality.  I want us to secure our first foothold towards our ultimate future- to live and work amongst the stars.  That is our destiny if long term survival of humanity is one of our goals, which I think it should be, and hope enough others feel the same way.  The cradle of life has done what it can do for us.  Now it is time for we humans to stand on our own two feet as independent adults, not helplessly dependent upon the Earth we came from, capable of making good decisions without nannies or overseers, dealing with the harsh consequences of our mistakes, and learning to make the best of far less ideal living situations to show that no hardship is beyond our ability to bear when we're confident that the end result is the glimmer of a brighter future.  I'm still operating as if a space faring civilization always was and always will be "Plan A", because "Plan B" (staying on Earth forever), doesn't work.  The length of time it takes for "Plan B" to fail is irrelevant.  We know from history that "Plan B" is a losing proposition.  Knowing what total loss looks like (the dinosaurs that came before us), should make this decision all the easier to make.

Anyone who thinks all of our human problems won't follow us to Mars or wherever else we go, is delusional, and there is no delusion as powerful and complete as self-delusion.  So, Mars might be a mental escape for some, but for me it's only a stepping stone on our way to becoming the sort of people we must ultimately become.

#2215 2022-11-17 21:11:34

Calliban

The US 2022 mid-term elections were cheated.
https://www.creators.com/read/wayne-all … r-election

Regardless of how unpopular the Democrats become, it will now be almost impossible for voters to remove them from power.  After the 2016 election of Donald Trump, the democrats made sure that there would never again be a republican president.

Last edited by Calliban (2022-11-17 21:13:19)

#2217 2022-11-21 03:26:45

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

How long before federal records show that the people who did that were carry-overs from President Obama's administration?

President Trump's putting kids in cages!

Well, yeah, your President Obama built those cages.

Border walls don't work.  Then a wall goes up around the White House and Congress.  Then President Biden's administration starts buiilding the wall that they opposed building while President Trump was in office.  So, if walls don't work, then why is President Biden building it?

I can always tell what Democrats are actually up to by who they're pointing fingers at.  Whatever Democrats accuse others of doing is precisely what Democrats actually doing.

A major bombshell about President Trump would be Democrats admitting that the man they cheerfully took money from for his entire adult life were / are all a bunch of crooks who were played by a fellow crook, and made to look stupid, not because President Trump is any kind of a genius, but because Democrat politicians are so stupid and corrupt.  President Trump made the mistake of drawing attention to that fact.

Bankman-Fried and crypto-currency, anyone?

He was the Democrat's latest money launderer.

You have to be a special olympics mental gymnastics gold medalist to follow Democrat logic.

Pay no attention to us doing that thing we're accusing you of doing, all while pretending that we're not doing it.

Can you imagine how pissed off these Democrat voters will be if they ever put down their Kool-aid sippy cup long enough to take note of all the people they voted for pissing in their faces while telling them it's raining?

Mayor Wheeler, anyone?

Anyone remember all the Democrats and other assorted leftists threatening him all summer long during 2019?

Or the "Summer of Love" (CHAZ/CHOP) the ended with a bunch of young women raped and a bunch of young men murdered before Police decided it was time to go back to work in hippy-dippy land?

#2218 2022-11-21 08:45:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Biden building wall is being done within the funds and law to do so and not by twisting and stealing funds to accelerate unlawfully over riding local laws, environmental or tribal that actually own the land that the wall is to be put onto.

Remember that a border is a line on a map and not a real estate holding of land that represents a deed of dimension or entitlement for the US.
That is the problem for all nations until someone gets smart enough to actual do so it will always be just a thin line....

#2219 2022-11-21 11:41:16

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

So, Biden is still building the wall, despite the fact that "walls don't work", according to both you and your fellow Democrats.  That's interesting.  I'm glad the Biden Administration agrees with President Trump's Administration.

Federal law regarding national borders preempts local and state laws, even if you don't agree with it.  Stealing is taking something without remuneration.  The land owners were offered compensation.  Since the "stolen" money was going towards a national defense priority for America, namely shoring up our southern border, I fail to see how that would be "stealing".

One Democrat ranch owner who doesn't like federal border and immigration policy does not get to dictate to the American federal government where it can put a border wall on the border.  That's also tyranny, rather than democracy- everyone else beholden to one person who wasn't even elected.  Nobody is "entitled" to ignore the law, especially ones that benefit everyone, including our scofflaws and illegals.  Your specious claims about border law are very similar to the ones used by the Bundy ranchers.  Their attempt to override the federal government didn't end well for them, either.

#2220 2022-11-21 12:23:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Walls only slow the rush of the illegals it does not stop the underlying reason that they are being breeched with ever growing numbers.

As you have seen federal law is just a step away from a suit in court appearance to override it as we have seen with National parks, border conex boxes, ect

so, if its emanant domain that they need to right a law to take all lands along the border with a give deed width to ensure that a wall is build and that its federal land to do so on why that was never done.

#2221 2022-11-21 12:42:21

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

So, walls work now?  I'm glad we agree.  I was beginning to think all those medieval castle and moat builders were off their rockers.

The border conex box issue relates back to Democrats ignoring any law they don't like.  They pay lip service to the idea of border enforcement.

It's never been done because Democrats reneged on their promise to increase border security after they got what they wanted.  After Democrats got what they wanted, which is more illegal immigration to use as a political weapon, they ignored all prior agreements, laws, rules, and regulations.  There are no good-faith negotiations with Democrats because Democrats never act in good faith.

Democrats had a chance to wave the legislative wand to transform all the illegals into citizens, but they didn't do it because then their political weapon has no effect for them or their voters.  They can no longer use the issue as a weapon, and in point of fact the Hispanic vote is now turning towards the Republicans, which is why they didn't do it.  They thought they were going to make every illegal a Democrat voter, but even the illegals can see how Democrats are destroying the place and no longer want anything to do with Democrats.

I guess Democrats were hoping for more low-information voters, but Hispanics who have recently escaped from totalitarian hell holes know how insufferable communism and derpism is, so they won't vote for more of it.

#2222 2022-11-21 13:11:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

It was the moat that aided the walls since they could be filled with creatures to attack those that would dare to storm the castle wall as they were not enough by themselves.

#2223 2022-11-21 13:47:27

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Moats were seldom filled with anything but water.  You needed armor to attack the castle, or the defenders could simply drop rocks on your head from above.  I have no desire to hurt illegals, but their own decision making skills have already hurt them.  These days we have less-lethal weapons such as tasers and foam baton rounds, so more options exist than simply killing people who attempt to overrun our borders.

Once again, what I want is LEGAL immigrants, because those people seem to value the rule of law and have made a real attempt to assimilate into American life, unlike Democrat politicians and activists who are either subversives or scofflaws.  Promising "free sh!t" to people, which most politicians have no ability or even desire to deliver, only serves to raise the next "free sh!t army".  America doesn't need another "free crap army".  We have enough college students already.

When the lying stops and real talk begins, then I'll resume listening to what Democrats want.  Until then, I oppose their general insanity on grounds of general principles related to maintaining a free and open society, which is to their benefit as well.  All societies have rules to abide by, and I can't think of one good reason for ignoring federal immigration laws.  If you come to another country, the goal should be to become a productive legally-naturalized citizen who abides by the law, pays taxes, and contributes to the economy rather than sending money back to some other country.  The fact that Democrats don't like the rules doesn't mean they get to scoff at them after they've sworn an oath to uphold them.  If you can't convince enough people to change the law, then your options are open rebellion or abiding by the existing laws.

If you win your rebellion, then you get to change the laws to your liking.  If you lose, then you get executed.  This encourages people to work within a functional system, rather than scoffing at the law.  Tell your Democrats to put forth some really good arguments for refusing to enforce immigration laws or follow the laws on the books if you can't convince enough people to change the laws.  Either way, quit thumbing your nose at the law if you expect other people to follow the laws that you want them to follow.

#2224 2022-11-21 16:14:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Even with a bulletin sized sign saying we want only legal visa carrying people to enter there still is a processing that is required and that takes staff due to the high volume of those charging the border.
We still are not changing the reason for the onslaught coming.

#2225 2022-11-21 16:38:32

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

They were promised free stuff from the Democrats, President Biden specifically on national television during the debate of all places, and were told that they were welcome to come in.  These illegals all state basically the same thing, and I know the Republicans didn't tell them to do it, nor so much as intimate that they were welcome to pour in, so what's the Democrat Party's excuse for their latest screw up?  They're not managers and don't know how to manage anything?  We already knew that much.

Board footer