New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#976 2018-01-18 21:32:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Politics

The Trump effect on border crossings is something that shows a wall is not needed just people doing the job that they are paid for....
border-apprehensions-Artboard_1.png

November 11, 2016 https://www.yahoo.com/news/spike-illega … 22014.html
e5e5acfad315857dd208c3114ac9f120115eae86.jpg

March 8, 2017 https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/us/t … order.html
09crossings-master768.jpg

December 5, 2017  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 … der-trump/
immigration_enforcement_92219jpg-561ebjpg

map%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bborder.png

Here is the first problem:
mexico_usa_border.jpg

Manicipality, stop translating....for minorities.....

#977 2018-01-18 21:46:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now this is what we need gone...
Undocumented immigrant charged in slaying of 2 police officers says he wishes he killed more cops

Instead we will coddle this...life that is not worth it.....

#978 2018-01-19 03:22:43

elderflower

A wall will act as a barrier to wildlife migration. Among other effects it may lead to isolation and extinction of Jaguars in the United States. That's if reports of a few remaining Jaguars in Arizona and New Mexico are true and they haven't already been wiped out.

#979 2018-01-19 05:28:34

Terraformer
Website

"I pray for him every single day," she said. "I ask God to please forgive (President) Trump."

Given that she's the one who broke the law...

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#980 2018-01-19 17:56:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

#981 2018-01-20 07:32:47

elderflower

Somebody is making a grab for parts of Canada and Mexico.
Is it the intention to shorten Trumps wall by building it halfway down Mexico?

#982 2018-01-20 21:24:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

The deadline arrived without a deal. The U.S. government shut down at midnight Friday after Democrats and Republicans failed to reach a last-minute deal to fund its operations, a “spending gap” would trigger a carefully prescribed, but still disruptive, halt to Washington’s work. There were five Democrats that broke with their party to back the measure, while five Republicans voted against it. The closure of many government agencies was a striking display of Washington dysfunction, played out on the anniversary of President Donald Trump’s inauguration, and there was more finger-pointing than signs of bipartisan dealmaking.

Social Security and most other safety-net programs are unaffected by the lapse in federal spending authority. Critical government functions will continue, with uniformed service members, health inspectors and law enforcement officers set to work without pay. But if no deal is reached before Monday, hundreds of thousands of federal employees will be furloughed. Essential services will continue to function, including the U.S. mail, issuance of Social Security checks, air traffic control and screening and the military. The National Zoo and the Smithsonian museums will close starting Monday. Others parks will remain open but trash won't be picked up or bathrooms serviced. U.S. troops will stay at their posts, but almost half of the 2 million civilian federal workers will be barred from doing their jobs if the shutdown extends into Monday. A shutdown plan posted on the Treasury Department's website shows that nearly 44 percent of the IRS' 80,565 employees will be exempt from being furloughed during a shutdown. That would mean nearly 45,500 IRS employees will be sent home just as the agency is preparing for the start of the tax filing season and ingesting the sweeping changes made by the new GOP tax law. Health and Human Services Department Half of the more than 80,000 employees will be sent home. Medicare, which insures nearly 59 million seniors and disabled people, will keep going. And so will Medicaid, which covers more than 74 million low-income and disabled people, including most nursing home residents. Immigration and Customs Enforcement will be staffed at about 78 percent, meaning more than 15,000 of the agency's employees will keep working. The Secret Service, also part of Homeland Security, will retain more than 5,700 employees during the shutdown. More than half -- 34,600 -- of the Department of Transportation's 55,100 employees will continue working during a shutdown. The bulk of those staying on the job work for the Federal Aviation Administration, which operates the nation's air traffic control system.

Democrats backed three previous short-term spending extensions late last year while bipartisan negotiations went forward on immigration and spending priorities. The 4 week GOP continuing series of temporary spending bills, saying it “simply kicks the can down the road and fails to get the job done for the American people.” This allows the GOP to continue to ignore the budget and the issues that are in front of them. A continuing resolution is little more than an open check book and is not holding the line on spending. Last week, Trump rejected a bipartisan Senate immigration proposal, $2.7 billion in new money for immigration enforcement at America's borders throwing congressional negotiations into disarray. The President will not negotiate on immigration reform an will side step the issue once the government does open.

Congressional leaders in both parties refused to budge publicly from their political corners Saturday on the first day of the government shutdown, avoiding direct negotiations and bitterly blaming each other for the impasse in speeches. Democrats and Republicans began to rally behind a new short-term funding proposal to reopen the government through early February. That plan could include funding for storm-ravaged states, reauthorization of the Children’s Health Insurance Program — and an implicit agreement to hold votes at some point in the coming weeks on a bipartisan immigration deal, according to senators involved in the discussions. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program is set to expire in March, and lawmakers are scrambling to enact a legislative solution. McConnell was in no mood to give Schumer any assurances to open up the government today on any of the deals put together for a vote.

#983 2018-01-21 20:51:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

The lesser-known effects of a government shutdown

What do NASA tours, Air Force Academy athletics and military base commissaries have in common? All have come to a halt during the current government shutdown.

I see that the GOP is towing the mark on ethics.... Paul Ryan Collected $500,000 In Koch Contributions Days After House Passed Tax Law

What campaign is he running for that this is a contribution.....

Time to play find the cellphone texts as FBI did not save officials’ texts during key period in Trump probe, senator says exchanged by two senior officials involved in the probes of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump for a five-month period ending the day a special counsel was appointed.

Maybe the Russians should be called in to find them.....

#984 2018-01-21 21:55:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

The senate seems to be taking a vote, expected to held a procedural vote at 1 a.m. Monday on a three-week stopgap measure to reopen the government. Trump told Mitch McConnell to use the nuclear procedure to tilt the hand of passing the measure but Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is pushing back against President Donald Trump’s calls to end Senate filibusters. If no deal is brokered by Monday, hundreds of thousands of federal employees are set to be furloughed.

#985 2018-01-21 22:39:36

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

This is just another sign that we have fundamental disagreements about how to run the country.  Thankfully, our service men and women don't care about the political games our politicians are playing.  They continue to do their jobs, 24/7/365.  Making hay over it won't change anything.

#986 2018-01-22 11:03:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well not being able to serve is one thing but being furloughed is something that you can not do anything about other than to stay home and wait it out to which I recieved my letter. No pay will suck for as long as this will go....

#987 2018-01-22 11:56:02

Terraformer
Website

I guess this isn't the Presidents fault? Last time the government shut down, all the blame was pinned on the republican Congress, so I assume the blame is being pinned on Congress again.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#988 2018-01-22 13:50:44

kbd512
Administrator

Terraformer,

Since President Trump is in office, it will be entirely his fault.  If Republican Congressmen were to blame for the government shutdown when a Democrat President was in office, then the Democrat Congressmen must be to blame if there is a Republican President in office.  That would presume there's consistency to the logic used by the Democrats and the Democrat-run media.  Rest assured there is not, so this shutdown will be President Trump's fault and that is what the media will report.

A compromise involves both parties getting some of what they want.  President Trump wants a border wall to deter future illegal immigration.  Democrats want illegal immigrant children to become legal.  President Trump said, "Give me a border wall to deter future illegal immigration and I'll make illegals legal with the stroke of my pen."  It's a good deal and it's legal because it's an agreement and legislation signed into law.  I don't care that their parents broke the law and left their children in a legal quandary, I just want their legal status resolved.  I'd rather make them citizens than deport them, unless they've committed felonies, because deportation is expensive and they already speak our language and integrate into our culture.  People who wanted to bloviate about what the President did or didn't say decided it was more important to pitch a fit than it was to make a deal and get things done.  It's that simple.

No wall equals no legal status for illegal immigrant children.  Funding for a border wall equals citizenship for illegal immigrant children and maybe their parents, too, provided that their parents committed no other felonies.  Do the deal, get legal status for these kids and their parents, and get a border wall to increase security along our southern border since terrorist organizations like al-Qaeda and ISIS have tried to infiltrate the US from Mexico.  Mitch is not against legalizing them and he can strong arm any Republicans who disagree into supporting the deal.  Democrats should strong arm anyone who wants to get on their high horse over what the President said in a meeting where everyone was cursing and swearing at each other.  If they're that dysfunctional, I'd rather they kept their "negotiations" private and just let us know the results when they're done bickering with each other.

The bottom line is that the US Federal Government needs to get things done and let the chips fall where they may.

#989 2018-01-22 13:56:15

elderflower

Surely it is the fault of the party holding a majority in Congress. I wonder who that might be....

#990 2018-01-22 17:44:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

"We are a diverse nation, a nation of immigrants, and we're proud of it."   So a Trump campaign attacks Democrats for holding "lawful citizens hostage over their demands for amnesty for illegal immigrants." An explosive new ad by the Trump campaign implying that Democrats would be "complicit" in any murder committed by illegal undocumented immigrants.
This is all according to Trump to which he is clueless as the illegal immigration issue is more than 40 years old with multiple presidents that have given amnesty Republican and Democratic alike.  The American people are not going to accept the premise that immigrants are criminals and that we ought to deport the 'Dreamers'. The president thinks if people are unwilling to secure our borders for national security that we are all at fault. Even offering $20 billion over seven years as part of the rejected deal was not enough for Trump. Building a wall is expected to stop illegal immigrants to which its border security people doing there job that will do that...why not use the military since its such a national security problem?

#991 2018-01-22 18:17:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Where are all the illegal criminals as it sure seems that we are rounding up americans by definition under amnesty...
https://www.factcheck.org/2014/11/behin … criminals/

The 87 percent increase in the deportation of “convicted criminals” was driven almost exclusively by “those with a traffic violation (up 191 percent) and individuals convicted of immigration offenses (up 167 percent).”

By comparison, the deportation of those with serious crimes fell. “For example, the number of deportees convicted of vehicle theft was down by 27 percent. Robbery, burglary and forgery categories saw only a small increase — up 4 to 6 percent over this six year period. Although their numbers were small, declines also occurred for individuals convicted of arson (down 1 percent), embezzlement (down 14 percent) and bribery (down 41 percent).”

According to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the agency that is responsible for carrying out deportations in the interior, there are approximately 1.9 million deportable criminal aliens in the country. So why it so hard to find them if they are commiting crimes?

Instead we get this AAv0EsG.img?h=507&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=473&y=302

ICE detains a Polish doctor and green-card holder who has lived in the U.S. for nearly 40 years

#992 2018-01-22 21:41:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

More ethic issues as Watchdog group files complaint against Trump campaign over reported payout to Stormy Daniels

Ethics panel opens probe into GOP lawmaker accused of sexual harassment and misused his office budget to pay a settlement.

So we can now know that we can not trust what is said by GOP as There’s a Surprise in the Government Funding Bill: More Tax Cuts

The deal struck by Democrats and Republicans on Monday to end a brief government shutdown contains $31 billion in tax cuts, including a temporary delay in implementing three health care-related taxes.

Those delays, which enjoy varying degrees of bipartisan support, are not offset by any spending cuts or tax increases, and thus will add to a federal budget deficit that is already projected to increase rapidly as last year’s mammoth new tax law takes effect.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/volunteer-ar … 31668.html
No More Deaths is a coalition of religious organizations, human rights advocates and individuals who provide food, water and medical assistance to immigrants crossing the Arizona desert from Mexico. humanitarian aid worker trying to save lives with water jugs meant to supply immigrants. videos showing Border Patrol agents kicking over water bottles left for those crossing into the U.S. illegally.

#993 2018-01-23 08:26:03

Terraformer
Website

In other words, a coalition of people who aid and abet criminals?

#994 2018-01-23 08:48:58

EdwardHeisler

Terraformer wrote:

In other words, a coalition of people who aid and abet criminals?

They don't support Trump and his indicted gang.    Who does except assorted bigots and wackos?

#995 2018-01-23 09:17:34

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut wrote:

"We are a diverse nation, a nation of immigrants, and we're proud of it."   So a Trump campaign attacks Democrats for holding "lawful citizens hostage over their demands for amnesty for illegal immigrants." An explosive new ad by the Trump campaign implying that Democrats would be "complicit" in any murder committed by illegal undocumented immigrants.
This is all according to Trump to which he is clueless as the illegal immigration issue is more than 40 years old with multiple presidents that have given amnesty Republican and Democratic alike.  The American people are not going to accept the premise that immigrants are criminals and that we ought to deport the 'Dreamers'. The president thinks if people are unwilling to secure our borders for national security that we are all at fault. Even offering $20 billion over seven years as part of the rejected deal was not enough for Trump. Building a wall is expected to stop illegal immigrants to which its border security people doing there job that will do that...why not use the military since its such a national security problem?

I'm proud of our Constitution, which expresses our values, however imperfectly implemented by our people.  If those values are adhered to, there is no problem we can't overcome.

Democrats have repeatedly ignored the law when they don't like the law if it doesn't serve their agenda.  That's all there is to it.  President Trump is willing to overlook the violation of our immigration laws on condition that the wall be funded and built.  The problem is that both political parties decided to play political games to score brownie points with their base, rather than do their jobs.  I want a deal cut and signed.  Everyone who is here who is not a felon gets amnesty.  Felons get deported, period, no exceptions.  Foreign criminals should not be any more of a burden to the American tax payer than absolutely necessary.

I'm an American, one of many, and I accept the premise that anyone who enters the US illegally is an illegal alien.  It does not matter how long they've been here or what else they've done while they've been here.  The law states what it states.  I accept the law because I can read and understand the law as it is written.  We, that would be you and I, don't get to decide which laws we wish to follow and which we shall ignore.  Our laws are not suggestions.  If you don't like the law, you can petition your representatives to change the law.  Absent any changes, all of us are obligated to uphold the law, including the parts we don't personally agree with.

With respect to why we're not using our military to secure our border, that would have something to do with the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.  That act specifically forbids the US military from apprehending, arresting, interrogating, or detaining individuals suspected of breaking our laws, unless specifically authorized to do so by Congress.  They have no such authorization and no such authorization is necessary.  The US military could build our border wall, operate monitoring stations and assets, and provide logistical support, but they may not take part in any immigration enforcement activities because they're not law enforcement officers.  Our military kills enemy combatants and destroys things.  Believe me when I say that you don't want them moonlighting as law enforcement officers, or don't, and suffer the consequences.  Any immigration enforcement activities are the sole responsibility of US Federal Law Enforcement (DHS, TSA, USCIS, USBP, ICE, DEA, BATFE, FBI).

I'd rather have our military here at home protecting our homeland and defending our country, rather than killing illiterate camel herders in far flung places most Americans can't pronounce.  Further, I'd rather have major US military bases on US soil.  If a host country wants the US military to show up to defend their country if they're attacked, then the host country should maintain the infrastructure we've built for that purpose.  It's long past time to leave our overseas military bases and repatriate our servicemen and women and military hardware to the US of A.  I would support having, at most, one military base per country if their people actually want us there.  For example, one base in Korea, one in Japan, one in Indonesia, one in Singapore, one in Iraq, one in Afghanistan, etc.  That said, one only per country and no more.

#996 2018-01-23 09:30:49

kbd512
Administrator

EdwardHeisler wrote:

They don't support Trump and his indicted gang.    Who does except assorted bigots and wackos?

EdwardHeisler,

People who are patriotic Americans support President Trump.  Career politi-criminals and their evil or ignorant supporters don't because they want to "control" other people and President Trump hasn't been amenable to their dark little desires.  You're either a communist or a communist sympathizer pining for Ameritopia.  If the Democrats ever get enough votes to implement the communist utopia you crave, you'll be one of the first ones they "disappear".  There were plenty of pseudo-intellectual Jewish Germans who supported Adolf Hitler until they "discovered", sadly far too late, what kind of bigot he was.  Your statements bear striking similarities to some of what was recorded that they said and wrote about Hitler during his rise to power.

My experience is that people who constantly call other people names because they're utterly incapable of any form of intelligent argumentation are exactly what they claim other people are.  The rest of us have to deal with the consequences of the nonsense that liberal regressives attempt to inflict upon everyone else.

#997 2018-01-23 11:39:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

What was true yesterday under one president, may not be true under another as with concern of the executive orders, changes in the laws immigration laws are constantly in a state of flux. Those crossing the U.S. border by land or sea typically are not required to present a passport, but must show documentation of some kind (depending on such factors as country of origin and immigration status).

United States border entry rules tightened in the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, and visitors from other countries must present a valid passport or other approved travel document when crossing the U.S. border by air.

So thoses that were given amenesty by congressional law undocumented migrants you are still claiming to be illegal....law which you claim to be following. There are many old laws still on the books not followed and not enforced. That said it looks like we had just one of those laws up until 2001.....

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection is responsible for apprehending individuals attempting to enter the United States illegally. The United States Border Patrol is its mobile uniformed law enforcement arm, responsible for deterrence, detection and apprehension of those who enter the United States without authorization from the government and outside the designated ports of entry.

Like I have said not doing the job of border apprehension.....

It appears that we can blame the president and congress for the law change back in 1887 for military not being used on its borders....which realistically should be removed just like all other laws that need reform.

Mexico like Canada is our neighbors and not enimies but if we continue down this road they will be just that, ENIMIES

Being part of the UN and what now seems to be the worlds police force has made it such that we are overseas reigning in those illiterate camel herders. That is just why we had to follow up on 2001 was because we had not been doing that job overseas.

Americans are patriotic to America not its politicians....

#998 2018-01-23 13:21:44

RobertDyck
Website

EdwardHeisler wrote:

I've met a number of Americans online who support Trump. And in person a surprising number of Canadians. Never forget why Trump was elected. The US government has been controlled by rich and powerful elite, Trump promised to take away that power, give it back to average Americans. He and Bernie Sanders were the only ones promising to do so, and Bernie is far too left-wing for many Americans. Trump promised to "drain the swamp". Actually, at a rally where he first used the phrase, he said one of his campaign staff came up with it. He tried it to see what response he got. Response was enthusiastic, so he continued. But the "swamp" is fighting back. The rich and powerful don't want to lose control. Frankly, I didn't think Trump had any intention of removing control by the rich, after all he's a billionaire so why would he want to remove power of billionaires? But Trump supporters are enthusiastic, blame all the mess that's occurring on "the swamp" fighting back.

kbd512 wrote:

I'd rather have our military here at home protecting our homeland and defending our country, rather than killing illiterate camel herders in far flung places most Americans can't pronounce.  Further, I'd rather have major US military bases on US soil.  ...  It's long past time to leave our overseas military bases and repatriate our servicemen and women and military hardware to the US of A.

I agree whole-heartily. Canada has alliances with the US, but we don't allow the US to have a military base on Canadian soil. When the US wanted to build the DEW line, Canada built and operated stations on Canadian soil. And all data from that radar line was shared equally between Canada and the US. We have joint training exercises, but those on Canadian soil are on Canadian bases.We have joint air defence through NORAD, in fact a Canadian general is in charge of NORAD headquarters in the US during the overnight shift. After 9/11, George W. Bush threatened to establish American military bases on Canadian soil. That was treated as a threat to invade Canada. We won't let any country establish any military base on Canadian soil. It's long past time for America to remove it's military bases from foreign soil. Trump said "America first". Fine, do it.

Last Saturday I went to the home of a customer to fix his computer. He got my name from a repeat customer, so my customers are referring me. This new customer was here in Canada, but a staunch Trump supporter. He criticized his son, saying his son believed in social programs. He's in semi-retirement, had been a real estate agent. He pointed out he earned pure commission, no salary. He strongly criticized any civil servant who would go to his office in the morning, drink coffee, chat with co-workers around the water cooler, then write long policy documents stating what government should do. However, although he criticized anyone with a steady salary, when repairing his computer I spotted that he has a pirated copy of Microsoft Office. And his truck has a radar detector. Simply owning a radar detector is highly illegal in Canada.

#999 2018-01-23 19:15:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here comes the isolationist efforts to close the US borders to job loss. Job creator, or job killer? Trump angers solar installers with panel tariff “The tariffs are going to expire in four years.

U.S. President Donald Trump signed into law a steep tariff on imported solar panels on Tuesday. The 30 percent tariff on solar panels is among the first unilateral trade restrictions imposed by the administration as part of a broader protectionist agenda to help U.S. manufacturers, but which has alarmed Asian trading partners that produce lower cost goods. The administration also introduced a tariff on imported washing machines.

But the problem is the cost of the american made panels is higher and the industry of installers will loss jobs not gain them.
For washers, there's a 20 percent tariff on the first 1.2 million finished washers imported, which jumps to 50 percent for all washers above that number in the same year, for washers the tariff drops each subsequent year by 2 percent.

solar industry countered that the move will raise the cost of installing panels, quash billions of dollars of investment, and kill tens of thousands of jobs, raising questions about whether Trump’s move will backfire by triggering mass layoffs. “It’s just basic economics - if you raise the price of a product it’s going to decrease demand for that product.”

with the effects being more of the same:

The leading solar trade group predicted that the tariffs could cut forecasted solar installations this year by nearly 20 percent, to 9 gigawatts from 11 gigawatts, and lead to the loss of 23,000 jobs in the United States, the world’s fourth-largest solar market after China, Japan and Germany.

Research firm Wood Mackenzie estimated that over the next five years the tariffs would reduce U.S. solar installation growth by 10 to 15 percent.

The U.S. solar industry employs more than 260,000 workers - about five times more than the coal industry - with the vast majority involved in installation rather than panel manufacturing

#1000 2018-01-23 20:28:38

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

The law, not my feelings or your feelings or anyone else's feelings, objectively states that crossing into the US without the permission of our federal government is illegal, as in not legal, which would be the opposite of what is permissible by law.  There are no references to anyone's feelings because Congress did not care about your feelings, my feelings, or the feelings of illegal immigrants when they wrote those laws.  Those laws were not written because Americans were or are racist, bigoted, or xenophobic, even if some Americans are all of those things.  Those laws were written for the protection of everyone, including illegal immigrants.  If there are no illegal immigrants, then there can be no exploitation of their immigration status for criminal purposes.  It is well known that human traffickers use the immigration status of the illegal immigrants they illegally bring to America to exploit those illegal immigrants for criminal purposes.

Board footer