New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#726 2017-08-20 14:02:26

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Politics

This woman is a reporter for a right-wing media group in Canada. She's the reporter who recorded the car drive into the crowd at Charlottesville. This rant was published August 14 (Monday). It's 5 minutes 12 seconds long. She predicts a coming civil war in America.
hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCNACELwBSFryq4qpAwkIARUAAIhCGAE=&rs=AOn4CLA7TfqiqbIfyVDN-hED2LxhU04NsA

#727 2017-08-20 16:27:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Black lives matter was about the cop killing at a higher rate than those of white people it got turn towards hate by whites when it was black cops that had the higher numbers of shootings IIRC.

The Statues were away to honour the Deep South but its been tainted by the extremist views for what these statues were set there for as GW made meantion to.

The same for the conderate flag as is a symbol of rebel to to them in the south while its a Red neck symbol in the north having little in common with slavery until the extremists view it as a call to put blacks and others down as being inferior.

I would not see that black lawyer as saying she is for black lives matter as she is just that but then again she does not say that they are more valuable than any others either.

We should be past all of this racism....

#728 2017-08-20 17:42:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

AAqbbrB.img?h=458&w=610&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=265&y=225

This is a family these days and what it looks like. We are past the point of ignorance.

As A 21-Year-Old Black Woman From Virginia, I Can Tell You That The Racism You Saw In Charlottesville Isn't New

Those people have always been there.

Maybe their actions were charged by a disrespectful president or an inexcusable societal privilege, but they have always been there. Call your friends out on their ignorance, educate them and don't sit by while they choose to ignore other people's struggles. I don't know what's going to happen next. It could get better, or it could get worse. But there is power if persistence. There is power in joy despite heartache. There is power is unity.

It starts with you.

It starts with me.

It starts with us.

#729 2017-08-20 18:30:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Take a lesson here as Woman Protects Trump Supporters From Crowd, Showing Us How To Combat Hate; “What better way to show them they are wrong?” as she helped supporters of President Donald Trump navigate through a crowd that was yelling and spitting at them during a rally in Boston Saturday.
The woman, a 27-year-old named Imani Williams from Connecticut, told the Boston Globe, “You know, I don’t believe in this right-wing narrative of the alt-left (counterprotesters) and how we are crazed and looking to get violent,”.
To which I also agree that It’s Not Just Trump, Federal Law Enforcement Is Not Very Focused On Far-Right Extremism  Fewer resources are devoted to combating rising violence from white supremacists and far-right domestic terrorism.

Images of those that are wrong in there beliefs....
5994c3de1400001f002c327f.jpeg?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

5994c2532700003100d4f62e.jpeg?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

If I look long enough I will find the same at the other extreme as well....

#730 2017-08-20 19:09:21

RobertDyck
Website

I don't get it. The symbol painted on the black shields are fasces, actually a pair of crossed fasces. The fasces was the symbol of fascism in Italy, used before and during World War 2. Why would you carry a symbol of fascist Italy?

Other images of the rally in Charlottesville showed Nazi flags. Who would carry a Nazi flag? A couple reporters present claimed counter protesters carried flags with hammer and sickle, the flag of the Soviet Union. So right-wing extremists carried flags of Nazi or fascist Italy, while left-wing extremists carried flags of the Soviet Union. Reports stated there was as much violence from left-wing protesters as right-wing. I don't see how left-wing protesters are any different from right-wing. And why would someone carry a flag of a defunct country? Nazi, fascist Italy, or Soviet?

#731 2017-08-20 19:16:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

I did see that in the live news video feeds that day, with the extremes being the problem and its the violence that is the problem from both sides.

It is that violence that is war related and needs not be in todays melting pot of the USA.

#732 2017-08-21 16:49:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Another that is claiming that there is no good or bad side to white supremacy... What? You know its wrong....
Paul Ryan Affirms 'There Are No Sides' To White Supremacy, But Still Won't Call Out Trump

#733 2017-08-21 22:16:45

RobertDyck
Website

I wish the media would just give it up. Violence is bad. Excuses don't matter, all violence is bad. The first amendment gives everyone the right to freedom of speech. That has to include those who say something you don't like. If it only includes those who say things you agree with, then it isn't freedom.

Antifa is just as guilty of violence as white supremacists.

#734 2017-08-22 09:21:42

RobertDyck
Website

Later in that same show, they played clips from the show the white woman produced. She interviewed the organizer of white supremacists. He pointed out people were attacking a car, so the driver pressed the gas peddle. The reporter dismissed this, questioning whether they attacked the car, and tried to claim that attacking the car is Ok. It's not. Again, there's a lot of blame.

I disagree with a lot of things Trump has done, but Trump was right when he said...

We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence, on many sides. On many sides. It's been going on for a long time in our country. Not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama. This has been going on for a long, long time.

I've been aware of politics for a long time. I watched the presidential election of Richard Nixon, and every president since. The media has always criticized the elected president, and it's getting worse. Bill Clinton was painted as the worst president ever, even though he succeeded in balancing the budge, and led America to economic prosperity. I could state several things Clinton did wrong, but his opponents didn't focus any of those, they obsessed over a blowjob. At the time the media acted as if Ronald Regan was the worst president ever, that he would start World War 3. But he tricked the Soviet Union into overspending on military, driving their economy into the ground, leading to the break-up of the Soviet Union. Republicans how revere Regan as some sort of demigod. Obama was cheered by Democrats just because of his skin colour. I watched the New Hampshire primaries on CNN. Obama and Hillary were the most hawkish Democrats there. I didn't think Obama would do all the things his voters expected. I pointed out he never even promised many of them. But he didn't even fulfill his election promises. Obama was given the Nobel peace prize before he did anything; then Obama ordered more drone strikes than any president in history. Obama promised to pull US troops out of Iraq in the first 100 days of his presidency, and out of Afghanistan before the Congressional mid-term elections of 2010. US troops are still in both countries. On 31-August-2010, Obama declared troops would pull out. It took until December 2011 for the so-called withdrawal, but 200 troops were left in Iraq. Now US troops have returned, so the war in Iraq has never ended. Since the Persian Gulf War of 1991, the US has never pulled out of Iraq. But his critics do not complain about that.

Now critics complain about Trump. They criticize Trump because he didn't blame a group they view as supporters of Trump.

#735 2017-08-27 17:46:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Trump campaign had said that he wanted to pay to get infrastructure fixed and yet what does he do Rescinded Obama’s Flood Risk Rules Weeks Before Hurricane Harvey Hit which was put in place to get infrastructure projects approved more quickly.

The rule signed by former president Barack Obama in 2015 had not yet come into effect but aimed to make infrastructure more resilient to the effects of climate change, such as rising sea levels and flooding.

Magic word was climate change....

One of the most interesting images was with this story: Harvey The Hurricane Hawk' Hunkers Down With Cabbie During Storm

ac5e1e2e0fee7749c05c6338a815f9d4

Images from the huricane:
http://live.reuters.com/Event/Harvey_The_Texas_Storm

GW would have more incite into this as its lots closer to his neck of the woods than mine: President Donald Trump pardoned America's "toughest sheriff" Joe Arpaio on Friday. Which could be lumped in with and could be a crucial piece of evidence in the Russia investigation under obstruction of justice. Trump has reportedly asked Attorney General Jeff Sessions to drop the federal investigation into Arpaio. This could shed new light on Trump's motives when he spoke to former FBI director James Comey about ending the investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn one day after Flynn resigned.

Which as seen that Trump’s Pardon of Joe Arpaio Is an Impeachable Offense

More people have started to question Trump’s Mental Health What You Need to Know About the "Goldwater Rule"

#736 2017-08-28 10:30:17

GW Johnson
Website

This hurricane/flood event is a statistical outlier,  way outside 6 sigma.  That weird track has this storm dumping tropical storm-level rain on the same regions for about 10+ days instead of 1-2. 

Cities in the region,  most notably Houston,  are built on flat ground very near sea level.  Relief is only about 3-10 feet.  Storm drainage is to the bayous.  When they fill,  the cities flood,  and a big afternoon thunderstorm can do that.  Houston is the worst case because (1) it has the least relief,  and (2) it is the largest (covering at least 600 square miles).

What usually happens is refugees flee for 2-4 days then return.  Power and water are restored within 3-4 days to a week or so.  Cleanup and rebuilding take months,  but the infrastructure to live is there to support that. 

This is different.  Refugees will be in shelters for multiple weeks.  There are still hundreds of thousands to be rescued.  The emergency relocation will persist at least weeks,  not days.  And it will be weeks-to-months before power and water can be restored.  The infrastructure to live will be absent that long.  It will take years to clean up and rebuild. 

As I said,  this event is outside all previous human experience in North America.  This looks more like those monsoon floods that displace and kill hundreds of thousands in Bangladesh. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#737 2017-08-28 17:08:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Keep us updated as you can....

What grade would you give Congress poll was overwelmingly an F, but if we asked the same question of President then I would ask what's lower than an F.....

AAqRRbb.img?h=358&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1512&y=552

Evelyn Perkins inspects her home which was destroyed in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, Monday, Aug. 28, 2017, in Rockport, Texas.

I would hope that this does not continue on this trend as Texas officials say at least eight dead as Harvey flooding continues. On eve of visit to Texas, Trump pledges '100 percent' support for those hit by Harvey; says he may visit again Saturday.

Images of those trying to get out of its way:
AAqRZkm.img?h=373&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1118&y=478

108 slide so far
http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topsto … li=BBnb7Kz

This is America and a wall would do more hurt than the isolationist Trump could have imagined.
AAqRG06.img?h=929&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Houston Police SWAT officer Daryl Hudeck carries Catherine Pham and her 13-month-old son Aiden after rescuing them from their home surrounded by floodwaters from Tropical…

Trumps view of racism has lead to this Anti-racism activists to march from Charlottesville to Washington as there is no place for racism in today's society.

#738 2017-08-28 17:58:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is another sign of what makes America's deversity great in the face of disaster Volunteer 'Cajun Navy' is saving lives in Houston amid Harvey's torrential rains

The Cajun Navy refers to the network of volunteers with their own boats who have convened in Houston, Texas, to assist in the rescue efforts. The group of good Samaritans are also using technology -- including Facebook and the app Zello -- to find and rescue those desperately in need of help.

harvey-volunteers-01-ap-jc-170828_4x3_992.jpg

The Cajun Navy of Volunteer people and rescue boats make their way into a flooded subdivision to rescue stranded residents as flood waters rise.

***IF YOU NEED RESCUE OR WANT TO HELP RESCUE***
The best source of communication at this time is the Zello walkie talkie app. There are many more organizations on the ground helping in the rescue efforts, and the majority are using this app to navigate to where the needs are. Please download the Zello app, create a user name and password, type in Texas search and rescue, and then search for any search and rescue teams close to your vicinity.

#739 2017-08-28 21:54:31

RobertDyck
Website

Umm. Perhaps it would be appropriate for me to post this. I have fantasized about a dream house, if I could afford it. This city has floods, the last major flood was 1997. I have my eye on a patch of land on the river bank, and a prestigious street in my part of the city. That patch of land is the approach for an old railroad bridge. The steel bridge and gravel approach are still there, although the tracks were removed many years ago. The bridge would have to be removed, but the steel could be sold as scrap. The land is large enough for a couple bays of houses, but I would like to keep the riverfront property for myself. The gravel bank would have to be levelled, and the neighbourhood would want a dog park, but there's enough land. This means the land for my house would be quite firm, railroad gravel as the base.

Because we have winter, every house needs a basement. Houses require foundation deeper than the frost line in winter, so at least 4 feet deep into the soil. Some old houses were built on a concrete pad, but frozen ground in winter caused the ground to heave, causing cracks in the outside walls so large that daylight shines through. When the winter temperature at night is -30°F (-34.4°C) that's damn cold! That's why every house has a basement. But with a full basement, people use the space. Unfinished basements are used for the same thing as attick in southern US, and an increasing trend is to build finished rooms. When spring melt comes, but ground is still frozen, that can cause basements to flood. That and worrying about the river flooding, with a river property, led me to think of flood protection.

My idea is a basement constructed like the "gravity base structure" of the Hibernia off-shore oil platform. That's a giant concrete boat. So build the basement like that, so it can't leak. To ensure the basement doesn't crack, build it on concrete piles driven deep into the ground. Place styrofoam moulds under the floor so the concrete forms a honeycomb structure like floors of a multi-level apartment building. And pour the floor and basement walls as a single pour, all one big piece of concrete. In fact, build the house with Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) so the walls extend from the basement footings all the way to the roof. Again, ensure it's all one pour so that it's water tight. Sealed casement windows with metal frames that seal water tight. And ensure all ground floor doors are steel, with steel door frames. In Canada, exterior doors have a weather seal to ensure cold air doesn't enter in winter. The weather seal would have to be more robust than usual, to form a water-tight seal.

Modern building code in this city requires a sump pit in the basement, with a sump pump. Ok, but ensure the sump pit is moulded as continuous concrete with the floor. Again, ensure the house is a concrete boat. And the discharge pipe (PVC or ABS) is sealed water-tight where it pierces the concrete wall.

Ensure the exterior is something that will not be damaged by water: brick, stucco, field stone, limestone, etc. Not vinyl siding. Sometimes insulation is added to the exterior, so the concrete wall acts as thermal mass. That makes sense, but use styrofoam, not fibreglass. Closed-cell foam will not let water in. And ensure it's the type of styrofoam formed as a single extruded board, not formed from pebbles.

Houses here were commonly built with basements ~20" above ground, floor joists on top of that. It was a trend in the 1970s to build houses with high basements. It meant they didn't need to dig basements as deep, but also meant larger basement windows. A basement 4 feet above ground, then floor joists on top of that. These houses had a low front door, with interior steps up to the main level. The back door was at the main level with exterior steps down. As long as you seal basement windows and the front door water tight, you could weather water 4 feet deep.

Of course if you built the ICF house, then you could weather water as deep as the soffit of the roof. The real limit would be how much water pressure could your door seal handle.

My fantasy house would have an attached 4-car garage, with deck on the part of the garage over the one parking space closest to the house. Give the other 3 parking spaces a gable roof. And exterior stairs from the deck behind the garage. One upper floor bedroom would have a door directly onto that deck. This means the entire ground floor could be under water, you could still get in and out. The garage would flood, but the house wouldn't. Also build the ground up so the house isn't very low, ensure the house is fairly high to start with. Since the land I'm looking at is high to start with, that would be easy.

Some ideas for Gulf coast houses? Build assuming it will flood.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2017-08-29 17:37:09)

#740 2017-08-29 16:14:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Being so far from the Mexican border you would think that New Hampshire would not be catching anyone that is illegal but that was not the case recently. This was also a bigger haul for drugs as well.

U.S. Border Patrol arrests 25 illegals at I-93 roadblock, seizes pounds of pot

AR-170829328.jpg?q=50&stamp=&maxw=800

“Checkpoints are just one of the tools we utilize to enforce the immigration and other federal laws of our nation,” said John C. Pfeifer, chief patrol agent for the Swanton (Vt.) sector, which is responsible for securing the border in New Hampshire, Vermont and northeastern New York.

“In addition to technology, manpower and intelligence, checkpoints help to deny access to major routes of egress away from the border and into our communities in the interior of the U.S.,” he said.

According to the American Civil Liberties Union, a 100-mile border zone exists along the country’s borders and shores. The Supreme Court has upheld the use of immigration checkpoints, but only for a brief and limited inquiry into residence status, the ACLU said. Checkpoints cannot be primarily used for drug-search or general law enforcement efforts, the civil rights group said.

A Manchester immigration lawyer said the 25 could have been visiting the White Mountains or working at various seasonal employers in the area.

#741 2017-08-29 16:48:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

Mayor Sylvester Turner of Houston promised to personally defend undocumented immigrants who be may hesitant to seek help in the aftermath of Harvey over fears of being deported and would represent any immigrant who faces deportation after seeking help during the storm relief efforts.

Set to take effect on Friday, Senate Bill 4 was signed into law by Texas Governor Greg Abbott, Republican, earlier this year, giving Texas sheriffs, constables and police officers the power to question a suspect’s immigration status if detained.

Turner is urging residents to put Texas’ Senate Bill 4 -- which outlaws sanctuary cities -- “on the shelf“ as emergency workers focus on rescue and recovery missions in the flood-torn city. The law is currently in legal limbo and it could still be blocked by U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia, of San Antonio, later this week. Several Texas cities and civil-rights groups sued the state, arguing the law is unconstitutional and vague, that it would hamstring officers trying to work with immigrants who are victims of crime, and that it might inspire other states to pursue their own versions of the law.

Something else that must be taken care of is its not a good time for a government shutdown. The big deadline is Sept. 30. Congress needs to pass legislation to keep the government funded beyond that date. Otherwise, it will shut down. That day is also when the National Flood Insurance Program’s authorization expires. Congress returns to work on Sept. 5. Lawmakers will then have less than a month to meet several crucial deadlines affecting whether the federal government will actually be able to help out.

When the government shuts down, federal workers are divided into two categories: essential and non-essential. Those in the former category are allowed to continue working, while people in the second are furloughed until the government reopens.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency would continue to lead rescue operations for Harvey in the case of a shutdown, with many of its employees fitting into the essential category. But that doesn’t mean FEMA won’t be affected. The bigger issue with FEMA is what happens with its Disaster Relief Fund, which could soon run out of money unless Congress appropriates more. FEMA gives out two types of assistance: public (which goes to governments) and individual (checks directly to individuals to cover damages). All that money comes from the Disaster Relief Fund.

59a5a8951e00002800a74ba2.jpeg?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

#742 2017-08-29 17:17:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Rain Rain Go away comeback ...never as storm is retracing its steps

Harvey forces weather service to add two new colors to maps
AAqWwRE.img?h=768&w=1080&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=495&y=307

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/

Catastrophic flooding in Texas from Harvey 75 slides
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/catast … om-harvey/

27 slides:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/slideshow/201 … on--monday

I am reminded of lyrics from songs like this by Waylon Jennings

Well I come from, down around Tennessee
But the people in California
Are nice to me, America
It don't matter where I may roam
Tell you people that it's home sweet home
America, America

And my brothers are all black and white, yellow too
And the red man is right, to expect a little from you
Promise and then follow through, America

#743 2017-08-29 20:02:40

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

If illegal aliens, people you call "undocumented immigrants" in an attempt to portray them as victims because you don't agree with the laws that are currently in place, weren't present where they were not legally permitted to be to begin with, then they wouldn't need to be rescued by anyone.  The Police here in Houston are not asking people for their papers.  They're too busy saving the lives of the people they're sworn to protect to concern themselves with determining who is an illegal alien.  The Mayor of Houston doesn't have to agree with federal immigration laws, but he's still accountable to our federal government for enforcing them.

You think our immigration system is FUBAR?  Welcome to the club, bubba.  We're trying to bring members of my wife's family into America from Viet Nam and we're doing it the legal way.  It'll take more than a decade to get VISA's for them.  Please explain why it is that people who didn't follow the law should be permitted to remain here when we can't legally bring my wife's family members to America.

Two years ago we moved to a new house in northwest Houston.  The house we moved from, which was a block from Bellaire High School, is nearly completely under water.  After the flooding from Hurricane Ike and some other storms came right up to our doorstep, I told my wife that we weren't living anywhere lower in elevation than we already were.  The flood waters from Hurricane Harvey only came to within about fifteen feet of our doorstep.  We were extremely fortunate, but a number of my wife's other family members here were not so fortunate.

Exploiting natural disasters for political purposes is pretty disgusting, but liberal regressives never waste opportunities to show their support for criminality when it supports their political agenda.  I wish we could return to a time when we showed solidarity with our own fellow Americans, especially in times of crisis, but we have too many people who don't want to follow laws they don't agree with.  What those people really support is whatever degree of anarchy is agreeable to their cause.  That's pretty unfortunate, because that path only leads to ruin.

In closing, I'd like to relay our gratitude for those who have come here to help.  I've seen a number of civilian and military assets in our area pulling people out of the water and taking them to high ground.  I want to thank all of our fellow Texans for their help and the volunteers from other states who have come here to help our fellow Houstonians through this unprecedented natural disaster.  Your service is greatly appreciated and won't be forgotten.

I saw the sunset today and was reminded that no matter how dire the circumstances of the day may seem, tomorrow is still coming.  Let's make it a good one.

#744 2017-08-30 13:30:37

GW Johnson
Website

Storm

I am watching closely what is happening around Houston with the flooding from my farmstead near Waco.  This is an unfolding disaster of unprecedented scope.  The rescue and recovery efforts are extraordinary,  but the problem is of daunting size.   Some reports indicate something like 80% of Houston has flooding at one level or another.  Refugees in the thousands versus population in the millions suggests we haven't yet really understood the scope of the problem. 

I haven't seen anything in the news reporting about criminal activity in the flooded areas.  That is yet to come,  and there always is some,  because there are always bad apples in the barrel.  Blaming that on political persuasion is just ideological bullshit,  though.  This is not the time for such.

If anyone wants a new monument to erect to replace the confederate ones,  how about officer Rick Johnson carrying two children in his arms out of the water?  And thousands more just like him?  I saw that image among all the stuff on TV,  but noticed no one made a big deal of it.  We'll have plenty of new heroes before this is over.

Illegal Immigration

The problem with the illegal immigration from Mexico is quite simple:  the number of people coming north to work exceeds the quota of guest worker permits available by a factor of 100 to 1000.  This is because congress has refused since just after WW2 to bring the guest worker permit quotas in line with actual reality on the ground. 

The only option for these people to do what is required to live is to cross illegally,  since the legal immigration system is almost totally dysfunctional.  We caused this problem with egregiously-stupid laws.  No way around that conclusion!  Unpopular as it is politically.

Don't go telling me you can stop this with a wall!  I know better. There is no wall or fence that cannot be defeated by ladders,  shovels,  and or wire cutters,  all of which are way to hell and gone cheaper than the wall.  We've already seen it.  Neither did China's Great Wall actually keep the Mongols out. 

It takes guards to stop people coming through,  over,  or under the wall.  They're expensive.  If you have the guards,  you don't need the wall.  Walls are just ideological bullshit,  for the most part. 

Don't go telling me that these guest workers take away American jobs or depress American's wages,  that's just more ideological bullshit.  At best. 

These people come across largely to pick crops,  mow lawns,  do all the shitwork associated with construction,  and clean toilets in schools,  hotels,  and shopping malls.  Not absolutely,  but by-and-large,  these are jobs Americans just don't apply for.  In part because the pay is abysmal,  but largely because the work is just really hard and really unpleasant.

The wages are depressed,  mostly just because most of these guest workers are illegal.  They are vulnerable to this abuse because of their illegal status.  It's basically criminal extortion.  For employers to do that is quite immoral and illegal,  but it is also quite widespread.  Such is the nature of greed unbridled,  as any preacher in any mainstream religion will tell you.

Fix the guest worker permit program to be in line with reality on the ground,  and the low wages associated with these jobs will actually rise,  because the vulnerability to abuse over status goes away.  That rising pay will encourage economic growth in those segments,  too.  And it's far cheaper than hiring thousands of border guards!!!

Deport these workers,  and those segments of our economy they fill will collapse for lack of workers,  with ripple effects into the rest of the economy.  This ain't a small effect:  we're talking crop harvest supporting the entire food industry here. 

Those effects of idiotic guest worker permit laws (or of fixing them) are not in any of the ideology bullshit I see coming from either side of the argument.  It's past time to throw the ideologies into the toilet where they belong,  and just look at the truth.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2017-08-30 14:00:45)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#745 2017-08-30 16:46:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

I appreciate both comments of what is happening in Texas on this Immigration issue and on the huricane. People first but it can not be used as a rouse for Political bull of capture, detention and deportation. Fix what is broken.

The brave people out in the storm area saving people they do not know are greatly deserving of praise, and gratitude.of thanks a 100 times over for each person rescued.

33 slides: https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/housto … -shelters/

Storylines as seen on the news outlets:
Texas deputy in this touching Harvey rescue photo calls it 'just me doing my job'
AD-Powerful-Photos-Hurricane-Harvey-Texas-16.jpg

His Dog Bruce, Through Flood Waters In Beaumont Place, Houston, Texas
AD-Powerful-Photos-Hurricane-Harvey-Texas-12.jpg

Houston police chief breaks down describing officer who died in Harvey

Watch out for Hurricane Harvey phishing scams
Elderly are among the most vulnerable during Harvey
Risk of explosion at chemical plant flooded by Harvey in Crosby, Texas
6 found dead in van swept away by flooding: Officials
Firefighter saving Hurricane Harvey flood victims rescues his own parents
Human chain helps woman in labor through Harvey floodwaters
Nursing home evacuated during catastrophic flooding
Texas AG warns of price gouging after Harvey
Acts of kindness in Hurricane Harvey's wake
Half a million vehicles possibly lost in Harvey flooding
Fewer flood insurance policies bought in Houston
How insurers are mobilizing to help Harvey victims
Searching for flood survivors with the Cajun Navy
Harvey moves east of Houston, CBS News joins rescuers scouring dangerous floodwaters for those left behind
Houston "not out of the woods yet" as Harvey rainfall continues
Houston megachurch, criticized for Harvey response, pushes back
Harvey's extensive impact revealed in aerial views of Houston
Waiting, worried: Business owners fret about Harvey damage
After Harvey, a desperate search for the missing on social media

Port Arthur Faces Harvey Flooding Disaster: ‘Our Whole City Is Underwater’
AAqZ4mO.img?h=416&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f
Storm evacuees sat on bleachers at the Bowers Civic Center in Port Arthur, Texas, on Wednesday, after floodwaters inundated the facility overnight.

Death row inmate gets execution reprieve because of Hurricane Harvey

Harvey horror: Shivering tot found clinging to drowned mom
The 3-year-old girl whose mother died saving her from a flood in Beaumont, Texas, on Tuesday is “doing well” and “reunited with her family,” officials tell PEOPLE.

It is sad to think about but Amid flooded Houston, a grim search for bodies begins

Trump eschews typical presidential optics for Trumpism as he pushes tax reform plan, pressures Congress

#746 2017-08-30 17:01:54

GW Johnson
Website

Spacenut:  your very first photo in post 1003 just above IS Deputy Rick Johnson.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#747 2017-08-30 18:03:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

I had seen the article earlier in the day while at lunch and went search for other s to see what you had meantioned in your post.

The pictures of this and many more should be saying to others stop the racism....that the ban is wrong and so much more....

Muslims Opening Their Doors To Flood Victims: 'We Feel And Suffer The Same'

Ashraf, who is the chairwoman of a committee for the Islamic Society of Greater Houston, that involved helping turn at least five area mosques into shelters. As the storm hit and the flooding ensued, the mosques have been providing cots and food to displaced people who may have otherwise never stepped foot inside.

“Politically with what’s going on, Muslims still sometimes feel like we don’t have a space here,” Ashraf said. “But when the community is hurting, we’re hurting too. Moments like this is what I consider true inner-faith work, where we see beyond religion and love each other because we’re human beings. We feel and suffer the same, and for us to help and love each other is really important.”

The confirmed death toll climbed to 23, including six family members — four of them children — whose bodies were pulled Wednesday from a van that had been swept off a Houston bridge into a bayou.

Authorities are investigating at least 17 more deaths to determine whether they were storm-related.

Houston Businessman Turns His Furniture Stores Into Storm Shelters

e18dca30feeaa9b83e3452e96d187d3d

“I was raised as a Catholic. I continued my Catholic faith throughout my life, trying to do the right thing and hopefully, you do the right thing and help people along the way,” he told KENS.

Black MMA Fighter Says He Saved Stranded Harvey Victim With Confederate Flag

zaB5sB_lRk61yA1g.jpg

“I picked up one guy and his family, his wife ― he just kept apologizing to me, because all he really had was his clothes, and he wanted to take his Confederate flag,” Lewis told MMAJunkie on Monday. “He wanted to take that with him, and he just apologized and said, ‘Man, I’ll sit in the back of your truck, man. I don’t want to have my flag inside of your truck like this.’ I said, ‘Man, I’m not worried about that.‘’’

DIVfxEeUEAAZFVa.jpg

“His wife kept hitting him and saying, ‘You should have just left it,’” he added.

Lewis said he was unbothered by the flag, which many feel symbolizes America’s long history of racism. He just wanted to help.

“I don’t care about that,” Lewis told MMAjunkie. “I live in Texas. It ain’t nothing new. I’ve been living in the South all my life, and it ain’t nothing I hadn’t seen before or discussed about. I don’t care about that type of stuff. I just wanted to help him.”

#748 2017-08-30 18:39:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is that criminal element 40 arrested in Harris County for looting

The thought of cash and Newport cigarettes may have been too tempting.

Burglars armed with a brick broke into a Walgreens near Brays Bayou, joining dozens of looters, thieves and scammers working across the Houston area in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.

By midday Wednesday, more than 40 people had been arrested for looting in Houston and surrounding areas, with reports of looting stretching as far north as Kingwood and as far south as Texas City.

53 slides here http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/kingw … 150209.php

197 slides more http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weath … 044695.php

144 more slides http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weath … 969380.php

Trump says he pardoned Joe Arpaio right as Hurricane Harvey began wreaking havoc because 'I assumed the ratings would be far higher' than they would be normally.

Arpaio, the former Maricopa County sheriff, was convicted of criminal contempt for ignoring a court order to stop racial profiling of Latinos.

#749 2017-08-31 18:00:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

I spoke of this in an earlier post as Hurricane Harvey: Houston Police confirm 'gentle public servant' died responding to storm. The Houston Police Officer was Killed In the Floodwaters. The murky waters left by Hurricane Harvey claimed the life of a 34-year veteran of the Houston Police Department, authorities announced Tuesday. Sgt. Steve Perez, 60, drowned when floodwaters sucked under his patrol car in downtown Houston as he tried to report for his regular shift at 4 a.m. Sunday.The televised airing of the Houston Police Chief Breaks Down in Tears as He Death of Officer Responding to Harvey Post as he tells of this officers death.

There was also the unrest of being as I put it undocumented immagrants that might fear for being deport rather than going to a shelter or for asking to be rescued to which the mayor had shimed in that they would not be singled out. This was all said before a Judge Blocks Texas Immigration Crackdown as Harvey Weakens, Sanctuary Cities Ruling. The Federal Judge Blocks Texas Sanctuary Cities Immigration Crackdown and blocks Texas ban on sanctuary cities. In another blow for Trump, Philadelphia Sues Sessions Over Sanctuary City Rules, while Santa Clara Co., Seek To Permanently Block Trump's Sanctuary City Order.

Of course we need a wall right President Trump..Not as Mexico's Red Cross delivers aid to storm-ravaged Houston
The American Red Crossindicates that there are More than 17,000 people in Texas shelters.

So what is President doing and saying for those struck down by the Huricane in Texas and beyond..The White House says President Donald Trump is pledging $1 million in personal funds to Harvey storm relief efforts. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders made the announcement at a briefing Thursday.
While Facebook users raised $10M for Harvey victims.

#750 2017-09-02 09:02:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fleet of monster trucks conducts rescues in flood-ravaged Texas

A fleet of monster trucks driven by volunteers is traveling to Texas cities hardest hit by floodwaters.

Video posted to Facebook shows a monster truck -- comprised on an SUV on monster truck wheels -- pulling a U.S. Army vehicle out of deep floodwaters in Houston on Wednesday.

A crowd cheers as the military vehicle is pulled onto higher ground.

James, a 26-year-old mechanic at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport, said he enlisted the help of his friends at the Dallas-based dirt racetrack Rednecks with Paychecks for the five monster trucks being used in the rescue missions, which stand 10 feet off the ground. With the help of his friend, Chris Stephens, and car service company 3P Offroad, James assisted in coordinating a rescue team consisting of more than 200 boats, 300 trucks and 600 personnel, he said.

harvey-truck-rescue-monster-01-ht-jef-170831_5x6_992.jpg

They were joined by others

In addition to the monster trucks, volunteers are using a fleet of six former military vehicles that are now owned by civilians to conduct rescues, James said.

harvey-truck-rescue-military-02-ht-jef-170831_33x16_992.jpg

They also came by water to rescue as

The team, which consists of volunteers from all over Texas as well as the Cajun Navy, began answering calls for assistance on Saturday, one day after Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas as a Category 4 storm, causing record flooding in the Houston area.

21151729_1836185289731756_1702648463532961124_n.jpg?oh=9ecd23112086847515e8bc42e4c2d5c0&oe=5A1EFDD0

Board footer