New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#26 2020-06-22 20:03:03

louis

Re: McMurdo as a prototype Mars Colony

Interesting - that's been my suspicion re the negative impact on the immune system of zero G  in LEO...the immune system is simply not getting a workout on the ISS.

Just a reminder in case anyone thinks otherwise - there will be plenty of light at the Mars base even in winter. For one thing, Mars's wobbly spin means that the seasonal effects are less extreme.

SpaceNut wrote:

I Was Isolated for a Year in Antarctica—Here’s What Surprised Me Most When I Came Back after being a station leader for an expedition to Davis Station, Antarctica...around the clock for a full year—through months of darkness and with no escape from the frigid cold, howling winds..

Viruses do not live in Antarctica. When I was in the harsh and bitter cold, I was perfectly healthy. When I returned back home, I picked up every virus in Australia. I was totally unprepared for the way my immune system reacted

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#27 2020-06-23 09:45:57

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Davis Station article .... Thanks for posting that ... I found it helpful in thinking about the selection process for leadership.

The woman who won the leadership post competed with 13 men.  I suspect they were ALL highly qualified, so the selection committee were looking for qualities that were highly unusual in the human population.

I would think Ms. Roberston would be someone who would be consulted with close attention, if a group decides to fund an expedition to Mars.

The trip will be longer, and the dangers even more extreme, but the human dynamics are quite likely (in my view) to be similar.

For Louis ... while your observation about zero gravity is important for the subject of the effects of isolation, that was not a feature of the experience reported.

The impact of isolation in ** this ** case was the absence of influx of new biological stressors.  Zero gravity would be in addition, were it allowed to occur, which I certainly hope will not be the case.

The funding agency should (in opinion) pony up for a full 1 G environment for the trip to and from Mars, or just forget about trying to make the trip.

GW Johnson has made that point multiple times, as have many others.

(th)

Rachael Roberston is an international speaker and author. Her latest book is Respect Trumps Harmony: Why Being Liked Is Overrated and Constructive Conflict Gets Results.

#28 2020-06-23 10:16:20

Void

(th), I have and opinion(s) on this, but you have not invited me to the conversation.  I will put something in Alternate BFR.

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#29 2020-07-31 23:45:17

juliusbarry

To turn it into a actual colony, I'm of the opinion that the temperature during the winter has to be put into consideration.

#30 2020-08-01 05:58:26

tahanson43206

For juliusbarry re #29

Thank you for bringing this topic back to life!

You've launched with an intriguing teaser.  Would you be willing to develop your ideas a bit? 

To start with, it would be helpful to show a comparison of conditions at McMurdo over an Earth year, compared to conditions at a location you select on Mars for a Mars year.

My guess is your graph will show that conditions at Mars are more severe at every time of the respective year, with the exceptions of the presence of water and the greater power of wind flows.

In other words, I would be surprised that your research shows McMurdo is more severe than Mars, as your opening Post #29 would seem to imply.

If you have not yet visited the My Hacienda topic, please take a quick look.  It is designed to work out the requirements for a community able to sustain itself at first (Earth) world levels, whether on Mars, or at any difficult location on Earth.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-08-01 05:59:04)

Board footer