New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2013-10-17 11:50:06

Decimator

Re: Cyclers

Void, I don't think the outcome is going to be favorable.  After this latest debacle in Washington, it's clear the ear-mouths have won, and we are doomed.

#27 2013-10-17 12:45:07

Void

Maybe, but actually that is the attitude people are supposed to have during the crisis seculum.  They only regain confidence after it. (If they complete it successfully) sad

Last edited by Void (2013-10-17 12:45:49)

Done.

#28 2013-10-17 19:15:02

louis

Void wrote:

Louis two recent posts, suggesting Research, Entertainment, Advertising, and National Interests as sources of money, and it all makes sense to me.

I also see that he mentions timing being favorable to this.

I would add that this plan also has the following favorable aspect:
-Some scientists and others have a phobia about contaminating Mars with Earth organisms.
-Louis said that he thought that in a few decades human presence is a likely possibility.

-But if robotic probes do not confirm the existance of life on Mars (But still do not rule it out), it will be likely that the temptation for doing science on the ground will be so much greater than the impulse to prevent the spread of Earth organisms, that the scientific community will tilt towards favoring people on Mars for research.

Yes, the issue of life on Mars is still v. important. If we find active life, then it becomes an ethical issue of whether we should go there and possibly disrupt that ecosystem ( I think we will will but the debate will slow things up). On the other hand if all the robot measurements suggest a dead world, then that is an impetus to get there since we know previously conditions on Mars were good for life - so whoever finds the first fossil of life on Mars is probably already in posession of something worth tens of millions of dollars.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

Board footer