New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2008-03-10 05:34:10

cIclops

Re: Nuclear Thermal Rockets (NTR)

A magnetic bottle needs heavy superconducting magnets and lots of power and it won't do anything to stop those pesky neutrons. How does it increase Isp?

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#27 2008-03-10 08:05:29

GCNRevenger

BY increasing the density of the uranium plasma, the nuclear reaction is accelerated and the temperature increases significantly. Hence, higher propellant temperature and increased Isp.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#28 2008-03-15 04:47:46

fdfdkdfakjfdajfkfdakjfjfa
Banned

lanuch from earth is dangerous, so why not mine uranium from the moon, put it in lunar orbit where ships from earth can pick it up.

Moon fans might say they don't like risk of radioactivity on the moon either, but with less gravity, smaller simpler rockets less likely to explode can be used to launch into orbit.

#29 2008-03-15 05:49:04

cIclops

Hi there, interesting name smile

Far in the future this may be practical, but for a long time the cost of mining, extraction and preparation as fuel elements would be prohibitive.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#30 2008-03-15 06:28:42

Terraformer
Website

Thought you were a spammer with a name like that.  8)  smile  8)

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#31 2008-03-15 06:45:51

GCNRevenger

One of the great lies of Greenpeace et al and one one of the things most laymen don't understand is that Uranium is not appreciably radioactive. The atoms that result when Uranium splits, thats the radioactive stuff that should scare you. However, purified Uranium splits very very slowly on its own, so effectively none of these nasty product atoms are formed until the fission reaction (in the reactor) is started.

Uranium is little more dangerous than Lead. Workers at French nuclear reactors and Canadian fuel element factories need no more shielding from fresh Uranium than plastic bags or kitchen gloves - not lead and concrete.

It is only after the reactor is started up that the fuel becomes intensely radioactive, so if a brand new reactor crashes? No problem.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#32 2008-04-29 09:44:40

cIclops

Future NTP Development Synergy Leveraged from Current J·2X Engine Development (PDF) - PDF dated 15 Apr 2008

NTP development planning studies conducted internally at NASA show an extended development period on the order of ~ 12 years or more in order to mature and certify human-rated NTP system that will enable crewed exploration missions beyond cislunar space. A development cycle for a comparable conventional liquid propellant rocket engine generally requires 8-10 years, but a NTP development effort would require more time to accomplish fuel development, permitting, and recovery/build-up of necessary infrastructure. The NTP planning study detailed a notional NTP development effort including build-up of ground infrastructure, system development and integration, extensive testing and technology risk mitigation. After the study was concluded, it was identified that there are areas in the current scope of the ongoing J-2X engine development program that are concurrent with the identified needs of a notional NTP development program.

Interesting huh. Dare we dream that NASA are getting serious about this?

#33 2008-04-29 10:23:17

Antius

A closed cycle molten salt reactor may turn out to be the most practical SSTO propulsion system.  Water or air could be used as the reaction mass and radioactive fission products could be separated from the molten salt before the vehicle reenters the Earths atmosphere.  The waste would be stashed in orbit.  A small rocket propulsion system could be used to jettison accumulated waste into a stable solar orbit.

The craft would probably be sea-launched from the Pacific, so any accident during takeoff would not contaminate a populated area.

#34 2015-02-10 21:35:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

While the discusion of nuclear has been in the Boeing thread I have had enough of it being sidelined due to the banter of nuclear vs solar enabled propulsion. In the old days I could have moved the posts to the more appropiate topic and it would have been enough.

Here is the topic on newmars for reference:
Ion Engines
Nuclear rocket
600 seconds
Nuclear Ion Propulsion

Not a rocket buta nuclear use:
ships.jpg

https://blogs.nasa.gov/J2X/
Inside the LEO Doghouse: Nuclear Thermal Engines

But so again was this one NERVA, Nuclear Engine for Rocket Vehicle Application
kiwi.jpg

#35 2020-11-08 21:57:43