New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2008-02-11 11:49:43

cIclops

Re: Mike Huckabee the most pro Space Program candidate?

I didn't pull any of those quotes out of my a*ss

All of them are real

A quote is exactly what someone says or writes, not what someone says they said or wrote. Has Huckabee said anything about space or NASA?

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#27 2008-02-11 12:13:57

Mars_B4_Moon

Has Huckabee said anything about space or NASA?

Yes, he said something to the effect of increasing NASA's budget so he could stick Hillary Clinton on a rocket and blast her off to Mars. Basically most of his 'statements' are too embarrassing to be put on his website

#28 2008-02-11 17:08:35

RobertDyck
Website

So much for a "pro-space" candidate.

"Maybe Hillary can be on the first rocket to Mars," he said, referring to the Democratic presidential frontrunner.
"Whether it's the medical technologies that saved many of our lives and the lives of our families, it's the direct result from the space program," he said. "We need to put more money into space and technology exploration."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 … -to-space/

#29 2008-02-11 22:33:11

Commodore

At this point I think the bigger question is the composition of the Congress.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#30 2008-02-12 04:02:53

cIclops

Congress will probably continue to be generally supportive of NASA and the VSE regardless of whether more Democrats are elected or less. NASA is directed by the President, so its direction can be drastically changed at the whim of the President. Of the four potential candidates: Clinton, Obama, McCain and Huckabee, only Obama has indicated he will make changes (by cutting NASA's budget and transferring the funding to education).

NASA's slow but steady exploration strategy will work even with Obama in power. It will just take much longer. McCain seems to be the one candidate who sees manned mission to Mars, he may well accelerate the VSE. It's critical that NASA create a powerful yet affordable space transportation system otherwise lunar exploration won't be practicable, and if the Moon is beyond reach then so will be Mars.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#31 2008-02-22 06:49:23

Dayton Kitchens

Congress will probably continue to be generally supportive of NASA and the VSE regardless of whether more Democrats are elected or less. NASA is directed by the President, so its direction can be drastically changed at the whim of the President. Of the four potential candidates: Clinton, Obama, McCain and Huckabee, only Obama has indicated he will make changes (by cutting NASA's budget and transferring the funding to education).

NASA's slow but steady exploration strategy will work even with Obama in power. It will just take much longer. McCain seems to be the one candidate who sees manned mission to Mars, he may well accelerate the VSE. It's critical that NASA create a powerful yet affordable space transportation system otherwise lunar exploration won't be practicable, and if the Moon is beyond reach then so will be Mars.

Do we have actual statements by McCain indicating that he supports a manned mission to Mars?

One more reason for me to support him I guess.

#32 2008-02-22 06:56:00

cIclops

Do we have actual statements by McCain indicating that he supports a manned mission to Mars?

Indeed we do, from his website: America's Space Program

"Let us now embark upon this great journey into the stars to find whatever may await us."

-John McCain

John McCain is a strong supporter of NASA and the space program. He is proud to have sponsored legislation authorizing funding consistent with the President's vision for the space program, which includes  a return of astronauts to the Moon in preparation for a manned mission to Mars. He believes support for a continued US presence in space is of major importance to America's future innovation and security. He has also been a staunch advocate for ensuring that NASA funding is accompanied by proper management and oversight to ensure that the taxpayers receive the maximum return on their investment. John McCain believes curiosity and a drive to explore have always been quintessential American traits. This has been most evident in the space program, for which he will continue his strong support.

#33 2008-02-22 08:37:20

Dayton Kitchens

Indeed we do, from his website: America's Space Program

"Let us now embark upon this great journey into the stars to find whatever may await us."

-John McCain

John McCain is a strong supporter of NASA and the space program. He is proud to have sponsored legislation authorizing funding consistent with the President's vision for the space program, which includes  a return of astronauts to the Moon in preparation for a manned mission to Mars. He believes support for a continued US presence in space is of major importance to America's future innovation and security. He has also been a staunch advocate for ensuring that NASA funding is accompanied by proper management and oversight to ensure that the taxpayers receive the maximum return on their investment. John McCain believes curiosity and a drive to explore have always been quintessential American traits. This has been most evident in the space program, for which he will continue his strong support.

Not bad. 

About as good as one can expect of any current candidate

#34 2008-02-22 09:49:15

cIclops

It's the strongest statement so far of any left in the race.  Note however that the main statement is not his, someone else has written it. The question as always is, what will he actually do if elected?

#35 2008-02-27 13:50:09

DonaldSpace

Mike Huckabee would have been a disaster for NASA

#36 2008-02-28 07:06:35

cIclops

(moved from Human missions - Political Outreach seems to be the best place for all space  politics)

#37 2008-03-01 21:37:43

Commodore

Bloggers say: Give Obama a chance.

Umm... no.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Board footer