New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2008-04-11 06:09:18

louis

Re: Why people can't live on Mars.

You really think non-democracies like China, Iran and Russia can be trusted to play a constructive role in colony development? I don't. I think they will be pursuing a very narrow interest.

That's why I would much prefer nation states to be kept out of Mars if possible. It's probably not possible, but we shall have to wait and see. There is in my view a reasonable chance that an enterprise like Space X might get there first.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#27 2008-04-11 09:15:21

Gregori

You really think non-democracies like China, Iran and Russia can be trusted to play a constructive role in colony development? I don't. I think they will be pursuing a very narrow interest.

Why not? Despite all the things thrown at them, they aren't horrible monsters. They're states with lots of technical know how, money to invest etc etc

On a very practical level they have a huge amount to play a constructive role in colony development. Actually, the Saudi know a lot about irrigation, they could play a big role.

I don't think exclusion will do any good when colonizing other worlds. It will just breathe hatred.

#28 2008-04-11 12:28:33

Grypd

That's why I would much prefer nation states to be kept out of Mars if possible. It's probably not possible, but we shall have to wait and see. There is in my view a reasonable chance that an enterprise like Space X might get there first.

Then if Space X gets there that means the USA is present as under international law though its a private company it is considered to be acting as part of the USA. It would be the same for any other company it will be considered acting on the behalf of the country its from.

Still even Narrow self interest means that you have to co-operate often otherwise you cannot get anything done. No nation can operate completely seperated from the rest of the world. When it comes down to Mars co-operation is simply the most effective way to stay alive and to thrive.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#29 2008-04-11 13:29:23

Terraformer
Website

If SpaceX got there first it would be excellent publicity for the small South Pacific nation it operates from. A tiny nation would be the first to get to Mars.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#30 2008-04-11 15:40:20

Grypd

If SpaceX got there first it would be excellent publicity for the small South Pacific nation it operates from. A tiny nation would be the first to get to Mars.

Im sorry but SpaceX is USA registered and all residents of Kwajalein require US army permission to live there. So it is a US company in everything it does and as such under space law it is US.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#31 2008-04-12 10:32:57

louis

Apologies.

I realised it was a US company but thought Kwajalein was part of an independent nation. I'll look into that.

#32 2008-04-12 10:36:37

louis

Right - so it is part of an independent state but it looks like the US has some rights in perpetuity over Kwajalein.

"In 1986 the Compact of Free Association with the United States entered into force, granting the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) its sovereignty. The Compact provided for aid and U.S. defense of the islands in exchange for continued U.S. military use of the missile testing range at Kwajalein Atoll. The independence was formally completed under international law in 1990, when the UN officially ended the Trusteeship status."

Board footer